Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Kon Tiki 2.47

Pages: 1 21 replies

This coming Wednesday, Oct 9th, Me and Al (of the dynamic Al & Shelly Duo), have tentavly, er.. tintaveilly, ah ... tentivilly, shit! .. ARE THINKING ABOUT going on a little trek deep into the City.

The plan is something like this: kick KC's (Beachdude Inc) door in at about 11:00 and roust his lazy ass up so we'zz can gander at his stuff for sale in the 'Garage 'O Mystery'; Next we wander aimlessly but somehow end up at Aloha Joes to well ... gander at his stuff for sale in the shop of delites.

Now, (please be seated until intermission!)its off on 'KON TIKI 2.47'; we plan to prove without a doubt mind you, that a couple of crackers could travel deep into the city in a '86 Chevy Celebrity made completely of reeds, exist only off Jimmy's Fried Chicken and Waffles, traverse treacherous gangland waters and actually make it to Oceanic Arts on the island of Whitter; then, it's deeper into the City to the Bahooka where we'll revel in the Honky-Lau.

If any other TC's want to take the 'ADVENTURE OF A LIFETIME (or at least an obscure Wednesday) let us know!

If you have to work, no problem. I can either write you a note and sign it 'Ebstein's Mother' or you can call in sick.

If calling in sick, I suggest this ploy:

'Hello, Mr. Schmedly, ah, this is Tiki Loafer, er ... I mean Bob. I'm ah, real sick. Just listen to this cough "Bahooka, Bahooka", I've got stuff that looks like Orgeat running out my nose, and my tonsils look like marichino cherries. Why if I don't see Dr. Leroy and Nurse Bob at the OA clinic I'll die.'

S

Mr. Bong's wild ride!

Yeah, sounds like fun and I would be totally down with this, but Mr. Schmedly's sending me off to Bean Town!

Gotta put in my plug for Joe's Aloha Collectibles. I love that place! A little slice of Tiki Nirvana. Joe and his wife are really cool people who keep a friendly distance, but I would love to see them at some of these outings.

I'll catch up with you later this month. I'm off to party with Tiki East!

Aloha,

Uncle Arty

Bonger,
This trek sounds like fun! However, I'll be leaving that morning with the Mrs to the San Fran Bay area for a 5 day trip. We plan on stopping at Tonga Room the first night for cocktails (tiki cocktails, that is). Hopefully, I'll get to meet some Bay area Tiki Centralites too! So any Bay area TC'ers that interested in meeting up at the Tonga Room on the 9th for Happy Hour, shoot me an email at [email protected]. Hey, maybe we can do a Tiki Central North/South Tiki Toast!

T

um.... count me in..... um....

I'm scared now!

:tiki:

Bong , Bong, Bong I have to check my schedule with carving and all. I might meet you guys .

BB

You's got to post a pic of the famous "Bahooka Volcano Dessert Thing!" Are they hiring where you's 2 work? I need a real job. Have fun!

T

Bong and Al

Email me your cell numbers. I will try to hook up with you guys at OA or at least Bahooka.

[email protected]

Tiki ciao
Trustar

A

ARGHH, Mateys. So it comes on good St. Denis Day, we set sail on uncertain seas for 5 years and 1 day.

It be Tiki we're after.

OK here's the itinerary:

9:00 Breakfast in HB
10:00 Drive to Aloha Joe's
12:00 Drive to Oceanic Arts
2:30 Drive to the Bahooka (Bahooka opens at three)

Any other suggestions.

Up anchor and unfurl the mainsail's, Mr. Bong

Al,
The large Pacu at Bahooka you have photographed is 27 years old! Ask them to feed him (they'll do it if you ask) - he eats 200 goldfish per week (no kidding!) as well as carrot sticks. You can actually hear the carrot stick crunching as he chomps on it!

When at Oceanic Arts, look at the inside top shelf on the right in the tiki mug case for some ultra-rare mugs. OA used to manufacture mugs in the 60's for a very brief period - the large mouth, cobra's fang, etc. They have them in that case. Other than in OA, I've never seen one anywhere else - not even on eBay!

Enjoy your trip!!

T

just a quick note.... Joe's Aloha opens at 12 noon, unless you can coax Bonnie or Joe to being there early for us.... and the store is sometimes closed on weekdays to accomodate their buying trips.....

T

For those interested in risking life an limb on 'BIG WEDNESDAY II'.

email me if you want to meet at my house and I'll give you the destructions and/or where you want to connect.

T

Trader Pup,

I emailed my direction and ph number. Call if you want us to meet at you grass shack!

T

Trader Pup-ster

I emailed to your other address; let me know if smoke signal no received; Ya Ta Hay!

T

is that 9:00am at your place, Bong?

T

That's a big 10-4 there Trader Pup. Until that time keep your shiney side up and your dirty side down.

BB

Where are you freaks eatin' in H.B. this a.m.?

I say "freaks" in a good way. Like "bad" meaning, good? more coffee!

Wednesday, 11:30am, October 9th.....NOW I read this post....GEEEZ....well, maybe next time. Hope you guys have fun! I'm in the midst of getting the Tiki Transporter running smooth as silk (including working a/c and heater. Currently a 6-seater, possibly a 9-seater, if I can find that 3rd seat somewhere) for future treks...and, of course, I don't mind being the designated driver.

SugarCaddyDaddy

A

Our Oceanic Arts trip was a real Tiki adventure. (Nice ride SCD, you're driving next time). I met Trader Pup and Tiki Bong at Casa de Bong in Hunington Beach. Kevins house is packed with cool Hawaiiana and the garage bar is growing bigger by the day.(An interesting note: one of Kevins neighbors is Robert August, surf legend for nearly 4 decades). after eating at "The Sugar Shack" we headed to Newport. (Sorry Ben, I didn't see your post 'till later). Our first stop, House of Tiki.

Wes, Cool Tiki Dude
HOUSE OF TIKI
1860 NEWPORT BLVD.
COSTA MESA, CA 92627
(949) 642~TIKI
[email protected]
COME CHECK OUT THE ULTIMATE SOURCE FOR ISLAND
DECOR AND A WHOLE LOT MORE.
Mahalos! Wes

The next stop in our Tiki travels was Trader Pup's place. Pup lives in a cool house built in the 50's. It's really great. Along with a cool Tiki collection, Teri collects Disney and has the greatest Kitchen chicken collection I've ever seen.

This is August Holland's "other" Idol painting. I had never seen it. I made Pup Put it in the backyard so I could get a good pic of it.

Next stop Joe's Aloha

Japanese Barbarella poster. I always thought Jane Fonda was hot, even though she is a pinko.

No way, the original Dr Evil.

Joe's Aloha gets high marks in my book. A very, very cool store. Good prices, I got The Hawaiian Eye Album for $15.00, Aloha Cruz is selling one for $95.00
Joe's Aloha
4455 Cerritos Ave.
Cypress CA
714-826-8795
http://WWW.tikitoys.com

Our next stop Oceanic arts

Leroy, The Man.

I love this place.

The Bahooka

The Harpoon

Pup, Bong and Al

The big Fish
Truestar caught up with us at the Bahooka. We had a great time.
We ended up at Dukes in Hunington, for a night cap. We were hoping Corky Carrol would be playing at Dukes , but, someone else was playing. Dukes didn't have a whole lot of hawaiiana, but, they did have some.

Aloha, my brothers.

[ Edited by: Alnshely on 2002-10-11 09:55 ]

[ Edited by: alnshely on 2002-10-11 16:35 ]

A big Mahalo! to Bong & Al for a great Tiki road trip! I had to abandon ship when they weren't looking, but as far as I know, they are still out there.... sailing the seven seas!

At least I made it to check out Bong's hut (very cool digs!), downtown Huntington Beach for breakfast, tour the House of Tiki in Newport/Costa Mesa, a tour of my humble pad, cruise by Joe's Aloha in Cypress, rape & pillage the staff at Oceanic Arts, flaming cocktails & pupus at Bahooka.... whew!

Trustar caught up with us at Bahooka, all dressed up right perty like!

Al, Bong, wherever you guys are.... go home! Your wives miss you!

Indeed a very fine adventure! The only thing better would have been to have more TC's hangin' with the boys.

Al's right, Trader Pups pad is very cool. He has some very unique pieces, including a rare Tiki Bob's mug that is currently selling on ebay and should fetch almost $200.

Al, as usual, was the man about town. He is in the words of Trader Vic, a man 'who, whenever they drink, prove able to carry it, enjoy it, and remain gentlemen'.

Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.