Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 293 replies

Ever have this happen to you?

**Poly-Pop ***

[ Edited by: PolynesianPop on 2003-04-20 22:18 ]

Wait, there's more!

**Poly-Pop ***

[ Edited by: PolynesianPop on 2003-04-20 22:19 ]

M

Jefferson's Brother: My brother's gonna shit!
Jeff Spicoli: Make up your mind, dude, is he gonna shit or is he gonna kill us?

Jefferson's Brother: First he's gonna shit, then he's gonna kill us!

Jeff Spicoli: Relax, alright? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it.

Pop, you're gonna need an ultimate set of tools.

Aloha Mr Hand,
midnite

oh NO! what happened?

okay not to air my laundry (not dirty), but away we go.

i saw the image of a broken glass (can't spell shattered) and it imediately sparked me to reply. here is my story....

finally discovering the bali hai and the trophy that will be rewarded (tiki mug to go.) i called to reserve a table next to the window, on the san diego bay. when we got there the scene was already pacified by the mai tais consumed at the homestead and the taxi ride where the driver was already playing smooth jazz.

our first time there and my wife did not understand my yearn for tiki........until now. ((folks........i love islands.....i audio taped gilligan's episodes to listen to, in order to put me asleep at night.) my only focus upon viewing the show, was being shipwrecked on my own s.p. island and i would have been okay for life.(you know what i mean)

boring......so as my wife and i enjoyed a bali hai and a mai tai in the mr. bali hai mugs (to go ), the moon rose over the bay. it was quite euphoric.

after a nice dinner and beverages, we took a TAXI to the underwater discoveries and cheap TOP SHELF beverages of the pacific shores lounge.

well to end the story, i wanted to take a cab home, and the wife wanted to walk......five miles.......

she was mad and threw the box of the two mr. bali hai guys into the street. i viewed and decided to take action....not good...car....smash (aside from initial damage of the mugs,which i refrained from their savoir).....booom.... the next day i glued them together, and they still work as mugs and aesthetics.

that is my story, sorry no pics. i don't even have a dvd, but "O" does

[ Edited by: ob seagull on 2002-10-19 01:16 ]

You have my sympathy.All I can say is buy 3 more vintage mugs for each one that was broken to make up for it.Rock on wit yo' bad-ass self.

Buffe-er-SlovakTiki

I've been saving my broken mugs to assemble in a "memorial" shadow box some day... maybe a bamboo coffin?

:tiki:

I recall like it was yesterday standing over a 55 gallon metal trash can and destroying about 200+ defective Shag 2nd edition mugs. There was a funky silence in the air in between the crashing noise of me slamming them against the rim of the metal trash can. I filled the can nearly to the top.

L
laney posted on Sat, Oct 19, 2002 1:17 PM

OUCH, You could always put them in a trash can outside and mark them FREE. Put up a post and watch all of us tiki freaks sneek off with them.
Oh, But then we'd sell them on ebay :wink:

My broken tiki horror story involves taking care of my mom's cat for acouple of days. Turns out cats like to climb up on high spots and walk around behind things, often knocking them over, let's just say I found out why I hate cats when I ended up having to replace my Nugget and Mr Peanut mugs and Kon Tiki salt and pepper shakers.

The horror...the horror....

My little nightmare happened when placing a newly acquired Cook Island wooden Tiki up onto a display shelf. I nudged a mug across to make room and then in the corner of my eye a small blur toppled off the shelf at amazing speed, bounded off the floor and bashed into the wall. It turned out to be my other little Cook Islands statue from the Victoria and Albert museum. It's little leg got knocked off. Bah!

Still, the break is clean so my fingers are crossed for a decent repair job.

Trader Woody

Seagul wrote: "my only focus upon viewing the show, was being shipwrecked on my own s.p. island and i would have been okay for life.(you know what i mean)"

...oh yes...we know what you mean.

I too have suffered injustice at the hands of the incompetent post office worker!
But when I have taken them in for the insurance, they keep them so I have no way to glue them back together.

And it's not even so much that it was mine and it got broken, it's the fact that it is one less piece of Americana left in the world. These Postal people do not understand the significance of acquiring such an artifact, you know?!

It's not just a mug! For many of these broken pieces, it is a broken dream. These are items that will never be produced again. Oh yes, there may be others found in thrift stores, flea markets and on Ebay. Perhaps the molds will be re-poured and new replicas made available, but it still represents one less piece of beauty in the world. One less piece of history.

My heart goes out to you tonight Pop.
Hope you can find some replacements.

-C.

Did anybody get a picture of Baxdog's broken vase, courtesy of Sabu? Was it tiki?

This is exactly why I only buy new tiki mugs. Not that my stuff hasn't gotten broken, of course, but when it did I didn't care. The worst thing that happened was when my girlfriend and I came home after the weekend. our idiot landlord did work on the outside wall of our apartment without telling us. When we got back, my cheap-ass KC of Hawaii "Hapawood" (i.e. fiberglass) tiki had fallen off of the shelf, the shelf that was on the wall these idiots were working on without letting us know. It was smashed and my girlfriend's ukulele got chipped, too.
It turned out to be a blessing in disguise, however, for a few weeks later we were in Hawaii and I got a great handcarved tiki at the international marketplace.
Of course, collecting new mugs is not for everyone. In fact, I might collect old mugs if I could afford, or if I had space, or if I thought my girlfriend would still talk to me! I'm glad concientious folks like yourselves are doing your part to preserve the recent past.

The vase I broke at Baxdog's was actually a Bauer Swirl Flower Pot from the 1940s in the fairly rare black color. To Baxter's wife, Sarah, this was probably as bad or worse than breaking a tiki mug.

Luckilly I have the same vase at home (garage sale find), and I will be dropping it off at the Baxter's residence soon. Here is a picture:

Sabu

The latest addition my Broken Tiki Mug collection: A Shag Limited Edition Mondo Tiki Mug. Isn't she a beaut?!

That's what you get when you try to limbo on sand covered concrete with a slippery 32oz Mondo Tiki mug filled with Jungle Juice...... :wink:

**Poly-Pop ***

[ Edited by: PolynesianPop on 2003-04-26 18:32 ]

T

Pop Dude!

You just got home! It was in a box! Wha happen?? My deepest sympathies.

Trustar

K
Kim posted on Mon, Apr 21, 2003 1:00 PM

A few months ago, Tikitronic & I found several of Holden's previously-referenced defective Shag mugs at 3 Monkeys in Portland. (The defective mugs were the same casting as the legit ones, but were not numbered, and the glaze colors were off. IE, the Tall Ratongo had the Short Ratongo color.)

Tikitronic was out of his mind with excitement, since he thought he'd missed those Shag mugs completely, and we bought a few. Not ten minutes later, I dropped the whole bag on a concrete floor and shattered the lot! Fortunately we were able to rush back & replace the mugs, but I felt horrible!

Now we live in fear of the cat taking a stroll along the desk hutch and taking out the whole collection in the middle of the night...

You have all given me my idea that will make me ONE BILLION DOLLARS!

Not really, and it'd be hard to create a piece that would fit the majority of TIki Mugs. Oh well.

I just started my collection... I hope never to break one, unless it's a REALLY good party :)

I did that to me head, once.

Ok, a few times.

My tale appeared here:
https://tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=913&forum=1

The happy ending of Gael and J____ no longer being together continues.

Pop & O.B.
Strong drink, rowdy party guests, moody women & drunken freinds who offer to help you move are bad news for all things ceramic & glass (I'm lucky if I can look in my cupboard & find two matching wine glasses). I flipped out tonight when I came home looking for my new Tiki Farm mug to whip up a mai tai after a hard day at the piss factory only to find it jammed in the dishwasher between a couple of cheap juice glasses. Somethings just need a little more TLC. O.B.Seagull, if it's any consolation my Mr. Bali Hai mug took a few hits on the way home last time. Stopped at Trader Mort's on the way back to grab a bottle of Arrogant Bastard Ale for the drive home & when I got back I just kind of threw everything (empty bottles, misc trash & Bali Hai mug into a bag) & carried into the house thus chipping the top of my mug in two places. The only upside of the whole situation was it gave me a good excuse to return to the B.H. for another mug (and more mai tais).

Polynesian Pop---came across this in my ebay surfing today. Maybe it's some kind of funky cosmic fate.......

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3220231157&category=29460

On the other hand, maybe it's merely coincidence...... (insert surreal music soundtrack here).

Suffering Bastard,
Thanks for thinking of me in my time of need. Coincidentally, I thought of you when the following happened!

Last night, JungleTrader and his bro SpaTiki, SugarCaddyDaddy and I were at Al & Shelley's Fabulous Lagoon Room. After a few hours of drinking, we were able to coax SCD into giving us a demo of his Martial Arts skills (believe it or not, he's rather knowledgable in the Samurai Arts). Well, to make a long story short, one quick spin and slash of the sword did this to my Suffering Bastard mug!

Pretty clean slice as you can see. Luckily, I was holding the mug just below the nose so I wasn't harmed in any way. Still, a close call though! At least I have another addition to my broken tiki mug collection - and a great story to go along with it!! :wink:

BTW - SCD is one Bad-Ass Muther F_cker with that sword. Don't piss him off or he'll go Medieval on your ass. I'm going start calling him NinjaCaddyDaddy instead!

**Poly-Pop ***

[ Edited by: PolynesianPop on 2003-04-26 18:13 ]

I had four (4) of the 1950's Arrow Japan Lucky Tiki ceramic statues with the original hang tags, three different in all. I've managed to break three! Still have the tags, though, in case I ever find others...

PolyPop~

Sorry about that. I am very serious about my martial arts. I guess my Samurai Master Slisum Entoo really influenced my discipline. Of course, my kung fu teacher Pun Chankik was also very helpful in my being so focused.

I owe you one Pop!

GrasshopperCaddyDaddy

I think my next party I'll just have
Bruce Lee-key Caddy Kick ass Daddy
Stand at the bar and open all the beer bottles, just one sword and I don't need a
bottle opener.

SCD does an awesome imitation of John Belushi doin' the Samurai swing.

[ Edited by: jungletrader on 2003-04-27 19:23 ]

M

I'm sorry about the mug Poly, but that's about the coolest fuckin' thing I've seen in ages.

Please no drunk sword play at the Caliente. I don't want to wake up with a hangover and a missing ear.

-martin

A

Of course, my kung fu teacher Pun Chankik was also very helpful in my being so focused.

Mention of the great Pun Chankik reminds me of something I read recently. An article about the upcoming Matrix sequels mentions that the martial arts master they consulted for the fight scenes is named Yuwan Wu-Ping (I think that's the spelling). Sounds like a good guy for the job, but he might have a short fuse.

-Randy

Yep, Ping is the guy who was a consultant from the original. Apparently he has to train them through translators since he speak no english. Here's an article about him.
http://www.gluckman.com/Matrix.htm

C

Mr. G fell victim to post Oasis separation anxiety and slipped over the edge. Of the table.

Lisa Lisa

[ Edited by: Cultjam on 2003-05-16 00:51 ]

Ouch!

Cultjam, believe me when I tell you that I know how it feels. My condolences!

**Poly-Pop ***

[ Edited by: PolynesianPop on 2003-05-16 20:52 ]

M

All this tiki misfortune almost brings a tear to my eyes. This reminds me of a visit I was lucky enough to make to Bosko's place last year. He has what looks like a graveyard of broken mugs strewn thoughout his property. Super rare vintage mugs that I would kill for...broken in pieces then half buried in mud like landscaping art...dozens of them. The poor little tiki guys sort of looked like the living dead. It was a little creepy, but mostly cool.

ModMana :drink:

"Mom always said not to play ball in the house..."

-Bobby Brady

Yep, it's a Martiki!

**Poly-Pop ***

[ Edited by: PolynesianPop on 2003-06-21 13:09 ]

So how was your Labor Day weekend? I spent the afternoon lounging by the pool enjoying the sounds of Ape with a delicious Mojito in my new (eBay acquired) Huki Huki mug.

Late in the afternoon some of my buddies & their gal pals came by and after a few drinks a game of Football Marco Polo ensued. Its played just like Marco Polo but with a football - and you still can't open your eyes when you throw the ball.

My bro: "Marco"
Me: "Polo"

My bro throws the football at me in an attempt to 'tag' me with it. As I dive into the pool out of its path the ball nails Huki Huki right between the eyeballs as it rested on the patio table.

We all watched it fall in slow motion while someone reached for it and in a deep, distorted, slow motion sounding growl, shreiked "nnooooo..."

Rest in peace my dear friend.

**Poly-Pop ***

He who dies with the most broken mugs WINS!

[ Edited by: polynesianpop on 2003-09-03 21:12 ]

D

Was there an official burial service for lost or broken Tiki mugs performed at any of the celebrations for the 1st Annual International Tiki Day Celebration?

Has anyone been saving the broken tiki pieces to make a mosaic? It'd look pretty interesting with all the different glaze colors & bits of tiki faces peeking out.

Hey Now Freddie,

I was thinking along the same lines. Or perhaps wet sanding them flat and turning them into wall hangings. It all depends on the break.

M

While setting up for Da Show (3:00am)
Gecko and I were moving stuff into the auditorium.

I loaded 6 crates on a dolly and proceeded to go up a curb.

As I lifted my end... I thought that Gecko was spotting me... however, I didn't see him go back to the van....

Crash!! the top crate fell & toppled to the ground.
Everything is alright... I kept telling myself...

But as I began to unload... 2 Hawaiian steins, 4 coconut mugs, 2 hula girl figurines, and 1 ashtray were all mangled into one pile of white chalk.

... sniff... sniff
I gotta go now....

MT, sorry bro.... my condolences. But hey, the good news is you can make a groovy Hawaiiana bar top with the pieces!

T

On 2003-09-04 13:39, PolynesianPop wrote:
MT, sorry bro.... my condolences. But hey, the good news is you can make a groovy Hawaiiana bar top with the pieces!

Pop,
You have got to have one HUGE table!

The wife came up with a great use for broken mugs or just about broken anything that is Ceramic...it gets planted in our flower garden. Actually it all livens up the garden and give our friends something to talk about when we are hangin' in the back yard! I,ll try to post some pics soon.

C

Sigh.

Pity the poor Moai.

The poor doomed mug didn't make it from my car to the house.

Sigh.

Quickset Resin!!! Save yer pieces, and put em back together people! So they may never hold a drink again, but they can regain some of their greatness!

tg
http://www.exotic-tiki-gardens.com

I refuse to own or display any tiki mug that's not drink worthy. When I built my 1st bamboo mug shelf, I made the mistake of hanging it with really small eye-screw picture hangers. this ended in disaster and two mugs bit the dust(fortunately my fave mugs had been used the night before and were in the kitchen, out of harms way) but I tossed the broken mugs & life goes on.

got a box for the broken ones.
heres a broken westwood, used to frame a postcard of picasso, bardot, and picasso's traveling tiki buddy.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 293 replies