Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Please read: We’ve collected 200 dollars ...

Pages: 1 11 replies

... worth of member’s “two cents” about the war, and now I’m asking everyone to temporarily suspend discussion of it here on Tiki Central. Let me explain why:

I don’t like locking topics and I’ve never outright banned a subject, because Tiki Central is all about discussion. If we can’t discuss, what can we do? But, it’s not like the war hasn’t been discussed at all. On the contrary, I feel the discussion here has run its course and at this point it’s doing more bad than good.

When I walk into a good Tiki Bar I’m transported to another place and time. So, now that it has been discussed, I think we should all take it upon ourselves to try to make Tiki Central into a virtual Tiki Bar that provides escapism to its members from the world’s problems. Let’s try to bring a little bit of that tiki bar spirit to Tiki Central.

The fact that the Beyond Tiki forum works is because we’ve been successful in developing a true community here at Tiki Central. If we hadn’t, no one would care what other members think about off-topic subjects. This is perhaps an overlooked but very important aspect of Tiki Central, and it’s an aspect that I am certainly proud of. But please remember it’s much easier to offend (and get offended by) people who you know than strangers who you don’t care about. I believe that all of our members should have “tough-skin” when reading off-topic (and on-topic) posts here, but I also think it’s not much to ask in thinking about the other users when you post:

1. If you’re one to not get offended by any forum messages, remember that there are people who put value to your opinions, and may not be as thick-skinned about controversial comments as you.

2. If you’re one who’s sensitive to controversial posts here in Tiki Central, please remember that not everyone is offended by these posts and they’re just expressing their opinions, and please try your best to avoid the temptation to read and reply to posts like this.

3. No more posts about the war or politics for a while.

One more thing: I decided to do this based not on any one message or incident, but on the increase in personal emails and private messages from many different members about the various war/politics-related threads, both past and present.

~Hanford

[ Edited by: hanford_lemoore on 2003-04-04 13:56 ]

T
thejab posted on Thu, Apr 3, 2003 3:21 PM

I totally agree with you Hanford. Although I posted once on the subject I felt so compelled to post by what people were saying. If it wasn't brought up I never would have responded. Thanks for keeping the peace on Tiki Central!

Thank you, Hanford!

Amen!

!CHEERS!

I fully agree.

E

Mea culpa - and I agree and comply. Good man, Hanford.

aloha,
emspace.

R
Rain posted on Fri, Apr 4, 2003 11:49 AM

Now that our wise leader has taken care of THAT --
Our little sanctuary has thankfully become just that again. I am going to blend a drink in relief, and I encourage all to join me in spirit.

Make love, and Mai Tais!

D

Right on, right on.

Back to collecting, carving, and mai-tais.
Hit said it Hanford, this is like waliking in to a tiki bar. A place where I can get away from today.

bump.

Pages: 1 11 replies