Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

The continuing evolution of the fabulous Kon Tiki Paradise Room...Pics.

Pages: 1 2 58 replies

Here's a few new ones of our humble basement lair...lots of new ceiling clutter added along with a couple of new tikis..

E
ecm posted on Sun, Aug 10, 2003 1:14 PM

that is ,,amazing. if that was in my basement , i would lose my job !

B

WOW BK! That basement truly is a piece of paradise. I see your Maori piece found a nice home there too. You have quite a gift.

B

Basement,

I really dig your 'clutter' on the ceiling. In that respect, it's one of the most authentic home tiki bars I've witnessed. The glass floats are top notch. Not the cheaper ones with the jute rope.

Keep it up.

utterly amazing. it gives me something to aspire to!

Easily the most authentic I've seen so far. Please post more pics. I'm super impressed. If they were to come out with another PAD book, it would be retarded if you basement wasn't in there.

Very nice! My fiance hasn't yet understood that "clutter" in a Tiki room is a good thing. Will I be able to convert this minimalistic neat freak? Only time will tell!(and my rapidly growing collection)

-Tikiwahine

C

On 2003-08-10 13:14, ecm wrote:

I was about to say the same thing...I would never want to leave such a basement..its an oasis of tiki past and glorious future. I hope the tiki wave never ends. I have never seen such extreme creativity and effort. And if you play Exotica in the background you need nothing else. I wonder can one base an ENTIRE house with tiki decor? I'd do it! Incredible pix..we scream for more!

"You no escape when Bali Hai call you!"

[ Edited by: coconutz on 2003-08-10 22:00 ]

Thanks all....it's still a labor of love never to be perfected or finished as always.

G

BK, how many "Luau" tiki's do you have? I noticed 2 in diferent shots. One by my panel and anudda by somting else?

regardless, da next Padd book should have you in'em!

keep'em up brah!

Aloha

We have 2 from the Harris Imperial Luau...That one in the side corner next to that Maori Teko Teko is the actual one that appears in the foreground in the Book Of Tiki on page 24...we had to do some serious mapping/comparison of the chisel marks to find that out. There were six of those in the Harris Imperial.

On 2003-08-10 21:58, coconutz wrote:

On 2003-08-10 13:14, ecm wrote:

I was about to say the same thing...I would never want to leave such a basement..its an oasis of tiki past and glorious future. I hope the tiki wave never ends. I have never seen such extreme creativity and effort. And if you play Exotica in the background you need nothing else.

"You no escape when Bali Hai call you!"

[ Edited by: coconutz on 2003-08-10 22:00 ]

We pretty much have any rare exotica album you could ask for on tap...from Michel Magne's "Tropical Fantasy" to "Exotic Island" by the Surfmen. You name the Les Baxter or Martin Denny, and we have that, too. All Tiki Central members welcome with a 2-day call-ahead. All (decent) rum donations by attending members appreciated. :)

[ Edited by: Basement Kahuna on 2003-08-11 23:16 ]

Yah know that thing Homer Simpson does when he tilts his head back, opens his mouth with tongue falling out to one side and utters a gurgling sound of ultimate drool. Yeah well thats what I did when I saw those pix.
Beautiful!!

Incredible...You have set a high standard!

(I'm a new member, I hope everything at Tiki Central doesn't make me this jealous)

BK, I thought your basement lair was incredible when I first saw it in this thread, but it's really come a long way since then. Incredible!

Lord...it has been a while. That was my first post, no? Looking at those makes me realize ceiling treatment very, very important!

[ Edited by: Basement Kahuna on 2003-08-12 10:31 ]

On 2003-08-10 13:11, Basement Kahuna wrote:
Here's a few new ones of our humble basement lair...lots of new ceiling clutter added along with a couple of new tikis..

I don't think that "Clutter" is a good description, too many negative conotations. What about "Ceiling Layering"?

A layered look is what we all aspire to: from a bottom layer of Bamboo, tapa cloth, or thatch; to tikis, nautical pieces, & poly pop-analia.

Is it time to begin quantifying tiki culture? Do we need more & better descriptive terms to explain the effects we're attempting to get across? Designers have their own vocabulary of terms to explain what they're doing, architects have their own terms; I think we need something better than "kinda Shag-like", but that still includes "kinda Shag-like".

Better focus, but still broad enough to include all the different approaches to tiki this group seems to engender.

BR

Fantastico
Sets a new standard in home decorating.
I have been looking for glass floats like the ones you have , where can I find some?

Just anywhere and everywhere. Lots of them in flea markets and malls around. Ship's lamps, too (very important!) There are about 5 newer ones and 11 or so genuine old, authentic ones in our bar. Expect to pay about 20.00-35.00 for a repro, and 65.00-150.00 depending on size, color, maker's stamp, etc. for the real deal. Bong is right, the authentic floats have way, way more good mana.

Good Mana is, of course, Good! Money is, on the other hand, Good Too! I don't own a single Glass Float yet and probably have at least a year and a half to wait until construction starts on the addition that will house Castaways' Googie Redneck Tiki Lounge Dee-luxe. I'll be needing a lot of guidance and probably some prodding come the final months. I hope to realize, at that time, that things such as what you've accomplished don't just happen overnight.
Damn! That is impressive!

P

Wow, that place is hip.

I'll be visiting there for sure, as I drive through Georgia several times a year.

Can't wait to see it in person.
I figure a bottle of Brugal, a bottle of Pyrat XO and a bottle of Pussers should get me a ticket.

I'll also bring my handcrafted Koa Uke and play you a few ditties. Maybe I can get some poi and dried fish if I please the Kahuna.

Just the Pyrat will do...No need to go overboard! I don't usually have any poi but I do make a good homemade crab rangoon (Trader Vic's Recipe)...

IM NOT WORTHY!!!! IM NOT WORTHY!!!!

I think I love you, so when can I move in.

This is sort of a continuing "Fun With Formikahini", ( https://tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=2133&forum=1 ) but the bar has changed so much that this thread is more appropriate...Here we have more happy visitors to the KTPR...Our friends Brian and Dylan Allen (My drummer for 15 years and his son), Travis Petrea, and the lovely Miss Elena Turner. For most of them is was their first taste of hardcore tiki! Hooked for life.

[ Edited by: Basement Kahuna on 2003-12-10 14:22 ]

Our friends from down the road in Athens Omar(Tiki Centralite), Jill, Felicia, and Emily popped in last night with a gallon of rum and their just-been camping selves...Mmmmm...Soooo Gooood...couldn't you just devour them all like a hot gourmet dish? A good time was had by all..

Wow!

Perfect!

You set the standard, BK.

Speechless.

[ Edited by: Basement Kahuna on 2004-01-01 21:53 ]

K
Kono posted on Sun, Oct 26, 2003 6:37 PM

Good God man! You need to get a liquor license! The Kon Tiki Paradise Room would be an automatic legend. Outstanding.

Maybe you should get a copy of this print. Doing a google search of Mr. Crafty is how I found this forum. He's a registered member here but apparently has never posted.

Phenomenal tiki bar!

On 2003-10-26 10:31, Basement Kahuna wrote:

BK,

Looking at this photo, I was curious. What is behind that window treatment? As soon as I saw it I had a flashback of the "storm" segment of Disneys' Tikiroom. Has anyone here ever created a faux-storm-on-command in their basement bar? seems like all you'd need would be a fountain made from pond gear (for the rain) and maybe the occasional thunder rumble & lightning effect.

-Z

Thank God The Tiki Bar Is Open
Thank God The Tiki Torch Still Shines...

[ Edited by: feelin' zombified on 2003-10-26 20:11 ]

Just a window...but if you want to see a storm effect done right go to the Molokai Bar in the Mai Kai...it's sheer perfection.

Hey BK would a pot of my mama's gumbo pay the cover charge?
And would you be really upset if you caught me licking the walls?

On 2003-10-26 20:36, purple jade wrote:
Hey BK would a pot of my mama's gumbo pay the cover charge?
And would you be really upset if you caught me licking the walls?

Ooooooh..Gumbo sounds good...but hold the Andjouille..no meat for Kahuna unless it comes from the sea.. Licking the walls? Kissing the walls, too? (I'll need some close-ups, of course.. :) )

PJ, you a wall-licker? Me too, uh..... ok maybe not. Bk that room is the shiznit! Are you gonna be around when I make it out there to carve for Brad?

Here is the lovely Tiki Kiliki of Knoxville enjoying her time at the KTPR...The girl is a hoot to hang out with!

[ Edited by: Basement Kahuna on 2003-11-29 23:24 ]

NICE!

On 2003-10-27 10:40, Basement Kahuna wrote:
That disco ball and rack of plastic coffee cups are burning my eyes, though.. :(

You mean you don't have a disco ball? What do you use for atmosphere when you're playing Abba's "Happy Hawaii" then?

I

Basement Kahuna: Beautiful bar! Random question: what kind of carpeting do you have down there in that nest of paradise? Please tell me it's green shag!

Actually it's some sort of low-pile self-padded stuff that was put down there in 1975....it just never got used much by the previous owners so it stayed in acceptable condition. We are looking at some commercial Hibiscus-patterned carpet (like the stuff at most Trader Vic's locations) to replace it when the household coffers catch a lucky streak.

Last night we had Paul (Pablus to us Tiki Centralites) in for three, f-fooouuur, fiiiih (I forget now...think I blacked out at that point...they didn't even phase Paul). Now, let me speak Cosa Nostra here "Dis guy here, is an honorable man". Even moreso by the fact that he brought me a bottle of Bharbancourt and a bottle of Anniversario! Can't beat that. Paul is a 100 percent tikiphile-for-life, dyed-in-the-wool true believer, period. World traveler (this man has been everywhere doing video production, from the dark alleys of India to Africa the the far east and everywhere in between), rum connossieur, gourmet, and tiki collector. And a hoot to hang with. Lost son of Vic Bergeron (AND D. Boone!).

I have to ask. What are you going to do when you run out of room? I'm sure this question has probably crossed your mind.
Wait, maybe you can start giving your excess to me. Yeah, no problem I can do this for you.

Congratulations BK on a magnificent room. Probably you can help me with some tips to decorate a bar in a hotel located on the island of Samoa.

S

Cool, now I know who I am looking for! We'll be meeting up with Pablus in about 2 hours over the hill here from BK.

E

F********ck ME!!! That is paradise on earth all right BK. Welll done!

aloha,
em.

The lovely, talented and charming Formikahini dropped by for another night at the fabulous Kon Tiki Paradise Room last evening...had a great time talking shop (she can do that in four languages, you know!) and broke some new drink ground... -and is it possible for this woman ever not to be completely photogenic? :)

I almost forgot! Thank you so much Alice for the Clouseau CD's. I vote Formikahini for hall of fame of most talented Tiki Centralites!

May I point out the coolest thing about these photos - that they were taken in the soft sheen of daylight, which makes the KTPR a different place altogether.

How many tiki rooms look as good in daylight as they do by the soft glow of twinkly little lights (and, uh, through the hazy glow of a Macadamia Nut ChiChi, a Zombie, a Gorilla something-or-other, a Mai Tai(?) - no - a Singapore Sling, a shot of the macadamia nut liquor straight, some killer rum in a shot glass, somehtinghbjjbjk, bdbdbdnhdd.....

What a wonderful place!!! And the BEST guest quarters in the South, hands DOWN! Complete with really cute and very affectionate cats - and I'm not even a Cat Person!

Wait, I just remembered - add a shot of Basement Kahuna's Special Pimento Liquor, too. So NOT like a pimento pepper.

I think I'm gonna be thinking of additional libations imbibed that night for days...

TIKI: Now, more than ever

[ Edited by: formikahini on 2004-01-03 13:57 ]

KK

Dave- do you think you could find me a little patch 'o land up in God's country for me and my missus to set up a shanty (sans tramps) and not be so damned far away from y'all? When I see the pictures I pine for the hospitality of the KTPR.

I am the Spears' humble liege...how may I slosh you?

Pages: 1 2 58 replies