Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

9/13: Black Orchid in Tampa, FL

Pages: 1 18 replies

Thanks for the heads up. Looks like a good time. Will try to make it if I'm back in Florida that weekend. Any other Florida TCers interested?

Well, I'll certainly be there! :)

Mark,

Are you still gonna meet us in Ft. Lauderdale? We'll be arriving on the 12th and leaving the 14th! Email me and let us know! This sounds great too!

On 2003-08-29 08:04, tiki_kiliki wrote:
Mark,

Are you still gonna meet us in Ft. Lauderdale? We'll be arriving on the 12th and leaving the 14th! Email me and let us know! This sounds great too!

Alas, no, I won't be able to make it. I've got the 13th show at the Liars Club plus another show with my other band on the 12th, both in Tampa.

Darn - I was hoping you were coming down on the 26th/27th as I'm gonna be playing in Miami and Delray Beach that weekend with the Mai Kai right smack dab between the two. Oh, well - I'll have to down those Barrels O' Rum all by my lonesome ...

PI

Unfortunately, I'm planning to go to NC next weekend :( Maybe next time!

T

Well, looks like next time will be a blast ... :)

Anybody know of any venues in Orlando that would be suitable for a tiki/lounge event with live music?

The Sapphire Supper Cloub would be nice but they're kinda difficult to get ahold of/deal with.

One week!

PI

The Sapphire is now The Social and, in my opinion, isn't as nice.

Will's Pub on Mills was always a fun music venue, but I haven't been in 6 months or so.

I've never seen a band at Echo Chamber on Orange Ave, but they have a kick ass lounge atmosphere so you may want to give them a try too.

Yeah, with all the Varga prints on the wall, WIll's would be the place, methinks ...

TOMORROW!

Thanks to Tweedtone and his great band, The Vodkanauts, for putting on a great show. Please book them for Hukilau 2004.

Thanks to Kailuageoff and his wife for coming out, especially from the far side of Orlando. I hope that your experience was worth the trip.

Tweedtone also told me that another Tiki Centralite was there as well. I am sorry that I missed meeting you, and hope that you had a good time, also.

HL

'Twas I on the other end of the bar with the "flaming tiki" shirt and semi-grim look.

The band rocked, even if they don't know any Johnny Cash. :)

psss...."Ring of Fire" is a C, F & G and would make a hell of an instrumental besides reducing the chances of getting your asses kicked. LOL

On 2003-09-14 22:45, Hot Lava wrote:
'Twas I on the other end of the bar with the "flaming tiki" shirt and semi-grim look.

The band rocked, even if they don't know any Johnny Cash. :)

psss...."Ring of Fire" is a C, F & G and would make a hell of an instrumental besides reducing the chances of getting your asses kicked. LOL

Out of boundless repect for The Man, I judged that rather than chancing a trainwreck at the end of a really long night, we'd politely decline the request.

Thanks for coming out!

Sorry we missed you Hot Lava. We were at the end of the bar on the side nearest the stage. Marian was probably the only blonde in the bar (most of the other women were goth types). I was wearing a shirt that looks like your tiki central name.
Being kind of forward, we did get to meet Mark and Sobek and had a great time talking with them and listening to the V'nauts. Hopefully the band will end up playing next year's Hukilau. I guess I would describe their sound as the Ventures covering whatever strikes their fancy. Very surf guitar, but rocking harder or softer as they feel like it. It also was nice to hear Arthur Lyman dee-jayed on the loud sound system before the show.
The venue didn't do much for us, but on the plus side, the night worked out to be pretty cheap.
Another highlight of the weekend was spending the night at the Tahitian Inn on Dale Mabry in Tampa.

It was built in the mid 50's and was severely and sadly remodeled in 2000, however, it's still a really nice little hotel. The rooms are spacious and clean, the pool area is very tropical and relaxing, and the coffee shop serves a great breakfast. A room with a King bed goes for $89.
If you're looking for a place close to Ybor City, Busch Gardens, Raymond James Stadium or downtown, we definitely recommend it.

Aloha from the Sunshine State!

[ Edited by: Kailuageoff on 2003-09-15 11:46 ]

Good to meet you the lovely lady, K-geoff! Thanks so much for making the trek.

Yeah, I guess I coulda said "Hey - all Tiki Centralers, raise your hands!" from the STAGE through the FREAKIN' PA! Duh-oh!

Oh well. With a brain, I'd truly be a danger to others as opposed to just myself.

Say - any of you Orlando-located folks heard of or been to the Royal Pacific Resort at Universal?

http://themeparks.universalstudios.com/orlando/website/resort_hotels/rp_amenities.html

It looks pretty dang nice AND they have a luau/Hawaiian show! $49.99 includes the show, food and - get this - UNLIMITED Mai Tais! Woohoo! My wahine and I are looking to do an Orlando getaway the weekend of November 8th - anybody wanna meet up ...?

On 2003-09-15 14:24, tweedtone wrote:
Good to meet you the lovely lady, K-geoff!

Not sure what you mean there, Mark. The lovely lady is Marian, or Wahine Marian as I affectionately call her.

Anyway, yeah we would try to meet you guys if you make it over our way -- but I have been to the Royal Pacific Resort and didn't really like it much. It is very Indonesian as opposed to Polynesian. If you can swing it I think the Polynesian Resort at Walt Disney World is more tiki -- and they also have a hula show/luau which we would like to see. Depending on how much time you have, you and the misses also are welcome to visit us in our humble condo.
Cheers,
KG

[ Edited by: Kailuageoff on 2003-09-15 19:00 ]

On 2003-09-15 18:52, Kailuageoff wrote:

On 2003-09-15 14:24, tweedtone wrote:
Good to meet you the lovely lady, K-geoff!

Oops - that's missing an "and" betwixt "you" and "the". Conjunction Junction, what's your function ...

Pages: 1 18 replies