Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Wigwam Nation

Pages: 1 14 replies

T

Plenty of info on wigwam motels and more on this web site:

http://www.dreamscape.com/dbporter/index.html

what's funny is they are actually tee-pee's.

but still i want to stay i one for a few nights and have a pow-wow with my wahine.

NOTE: I can leagaly say that b/c of my heritage. Though I don't generaly joke about it like that.

T

But wigwam is so much more fun to say than teepee! Teepee makes me think of T.P.

Which reminds me of a joke:

A guy from Quebec is staying at a hotel. He calls up the front desk to report he requires some pepper. 'Would that be black pepper or white pepper, sir' enquires the lady. He replies:

'Toilet pepper you eediot'!

Ba dum bum

I've stayed at two of the remaining Wigwam Villages in Cave City, KY and Holbrook, AZ. The one in Holbrook is definitely cooler and better kept. The owner has a nice collection of vintage cars parked around the lot.

Matt

T

You may want to avoid the Wigwam Village in Rialto, CA (on old Hwy. 66). They painted the insides in really bad multicolored dare-I-say-hippy designs. And I think they charge by the hour!

Unkle John - I hope you weren't offended by the use of "wigwam". I wouldn't normally use such a term but that's what the motel type was commonly called.

A married couple goes to a counselleor.

He asks what problem made them decide to seek his help.

"Well," says the husband, "I'm a wigwam."

"And," adds the wife, "I'm a teepee."

The counsellor sits back and proclaims, "Well, there's the problem right there! You're two tents!"

Ba dump bump.

Unkle John - I hope you weren't offended by the use of "wigwam".

no offense was taken, keep up the great job on finding these neat placed though!

T

Wigwam isn't a 'bad' word. It's just a different type of dwelling than a teepee. It's normally rounded on top, whereas a teepee is pointy.

wig·wam    ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (wgwm)
n.

A Native American dwelling commonly having an arched or conical framework overlaid with bark, hides, or mats.

te·pee also tee·pee or ti·pi    ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (tp)
n. pl. te·pees or ti·pis

A portable dwelling of certain Native American peoples, especially on the Great Plains, consisting of a conical framework of poles covered with skins or bark.

sweat lodges are constructed the same as a wigwam.

I picked up this book at a garage-sale several years ago. Hardback copyright 1957, paperback in 1971. In my humble opinion, it has to be one of the most worthwhile paperbacks ever published.

Packed to the covers with info and illustrations on how to build, erect, and live in authentic Indian Teepees. It has detailed patterns to sew the Cover, Lining, Door Flap, and 'Ozan', inside rain cover. The author at the time suggested using Canvas or Heavy Muslin, but also provided instructions for using hides.

The typical pattern is based on the Sioux Tipi, but there are also detailed patterns for Crow, Cheyenne, Blackfoot, and Yakima tipis, among others.

I keep this book around because I say that one day I'm actually going to build one of these suckers. I don't know where I'm going to store twenty pine poles each 25' long, but I'll find a place.

How else are you going to go camping, but with a fire inside your tent instead of outside? Bring your Tipi along - that's how.

Near where I live in Carson, there's a Junior Highschool with a grass football field on 223rd Street that hosts a large gathering of Tipi enthusiasts every few years. Overnight, the field is dotted with the most magnificent tipis you've ever seen. Then, at the end of the weekend, they're gone, just as mysteriously as they came.

Sabu

[ Edited by: Sabu The Coconut Boy on 2004-07-23 13:59 ]

H

My aunt lived in a yurt for a whole year (winter included) at Mt. Bachelor in Central Oregon.

My aunt, I love her, but she's crazy.

S

On 2004-07-23 14:00, Humuhumu wrote:
My aunt lived in a yurt for a whole year (winter included) at Mt. Bachelor in Central Oregon.

is she not there anymore? I have too much junk to live in a yurt.

Junkwise, I can't even fit into my apartment.

I stayed at the Wigwam Motel in Rialto last month. (It's right over the line from San Bernardino.)

My pal Paulie and I were just about to give up on finding a cool vintage motel to take us in at ten o'clock at night, but luckily we found vintage Route 66 and there it was!!!

I'm happy to say that the gruesome pseudo-psychedelic paint job the Jab spoke of above is gone--the wigwams are just plain white inside now. Also, the bathrooms are delightfully unremodeled--you get the original deco tile in lovely buttercream and burgundy.

Oddly, however, there is NO place to put your clothes. And no bedside lamp--just an overhead. The new owners seem confused as to how to place such furniture within the wigwam. If they would simply consult the vintage postcard in their own office they would be instantly enlightened...but no such luck.

It was, however, extremely clean and well-kept overall.

My favorite part was the very faded sign (below the brightly lettered main sign) which reads:

"DO IT IN A TEE-PEE!" Sheesh.

Needless to say, they did NOT repaint that one. It's hard to read unless you are really interested :wink:

your teepee travel report respectfully
submitted by,
tikivixen

TR

I drove down to Wharton Texas and saw the Tee Pee motel it was rad

Pages: 1 14 replies