Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Kahaka's Tiki Lamps

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 483 replies

K

Hey thanks SandraDee... ya Nacho is one of my best buds. I taught him everything he knows (ya right!). Ha. Do you live in San Jose?

Tonie... Thanks! I've only made one table lamp... It was made from a Suffering Bastard bottle I found at TJ Maxx and converted it into a lamp. My wife keeps telling me to make floor lamps, but I've never gotten around to it. I like makin' the hangers!

The step by step is very informative ! You must have a ton of patience !!! I love your lamps !!

Thanks for the step-by-step instructions! Maybe one day I'll give making my own lamp a try. If I do you'll get all the credit and I will only construct for my personal use.

Another home run! Looking forward to more step-by steps.

T

Hey Woody,

Great step by step. The resin tips were great, but the best tip was ironing the trim to get it flat & spread out the glue. Guess I'll be thrift store shopping for an old iron next time out.

S

Great stuff! I may give up on trying to recreate a UFO shell lamp and get you to make me one for the Hideaway instead.

Do the resin pieces ever come out? DO you rough up the wood to help them grip in there?

T

I have problems with the resin I use.
Can take forever to dry.
It does dry but can stay tacky for some time.
Don't know if it's the brand I use, or a, that's the way Resin is thing.
Do you have this problem?

K

The Sperm Whale... I think it's more OCD than patience. However, I do teach 7 and 8 year olds, but that requires a whole different type of patience. Ha.

LoriLovesTiki... Go for it. You'll be happy you did!

Big Kahuna... Thanks again, man!

TikiPops... Get a good one. Cheap ones don't work as well, and you'll end up buying a better one like I did (actually, I stole the good one from my wife and bought her a better one).

Swanky... I'll give it a go when you're ready. I've never made one before, so who knows how it might turn out. Ha! Never had any resin come out, but I have used too much hardener which caused the resin to pull away from the wood. I usually do several layers, and some seeps to the back of the wood, which really gives it something to grip to. I don't rough the sides... The jigsaw does enough to take care of that.

TikiSkip... I've gotten the ratio down pretty well now with stuff I'm using. 10 drops of the catalyst to 1 oz. of resin. But, during the warmer months I go with a 8 to 1 ratio because the resin has hardened too quickly and cracked on hot days.

T

Happy wife, Happy life!!

K

Haha! Very true, my friend.

8 clones headed to Orlando. 17 more of a different species to make and send that way.

Cheers,
Woody

Custom Tapa Swag Lamps and Sconces Built By Kahaka

[ Edited by: KAHAKA 2014-02-28 23:03 ]

I really am not sure how I missed this, but your lamps are stunning as always and I really like your tutorial on making one of them. It is always nice when a master shares some of the knowledge they have acquired. It is really appreciated.

• Dale
K

Aloha ya'll,

Here's an experiment I just wrapped up. Tangaroa lamp with some flower panels. It's sold, but I'll be making more for Tiki Oasis!

Cheers,
Woody

Very Nice!

K

Mahalo ATP!

T

Woody,
Awesome as always!!
See you at Oasis.

H

Just beautiful, love your work.

I don't know how I missed the Tangaroa lamp 'til now. Wow, dude! Just WOW!

K

Thanks again for the compliments!

Well, I didn't get around to incorporating any more of the Tangaroa image in the lamps because I got distracted by a router. Ha.

Here's a preview of lamps I'll have at Tiki Oasis at the Moai Bar booth near the stage!

We'll also be selling mugs, Hawaiiana, and Aloha wear.

Hope to see some of you there!

Cheers,
Woody

S

More fantastic work Woody. Love em'.

K

Mahalo Swizzle... Looking forward to seeing your projects soon!

One more shot of the summer collection lit up.

Cheers,
Woody

just awesome work mate

K

Mahalo Marcus! Means a lot, coming from my favorite carver!

K

Working on a lamp for Smuggler's Cove. Stuck a puffer in the bottom to stare down at the patrons.

What an original idea. Kind of creepy cool. I like puffers. Wendy

R

That's amazing. It looks like a mix of tiki and Close Encounters. Totally awestruck by the level of originality. Good creative skills.

K

Thanks ya'll!!

Here're some pics... The blue was hung at Smuggler's Cove, and the red was sold at the auction. Smuggler's Cove is lookin extra fine with all the goodies Martin pulled out of storage, in addition to the goods he commissioned for the 5th Anniversary. The Cove has a few new Zombie sized glasses for purchase as well... Visit soon!

S

Absolutely stunning!!!

K

Here's a shell lamp with a custom bottom for
Forgotten Tikiman... Thanks Steven!

That is beautiful, Woody!

H

Beautiful lamp, nice job.

K
KAHAKA posted on Sun, Mar 8, 2015 7:52 PM

Thanks guys!! Appreciate your comments.

The morning light was perfect for a shot of some of my mugs. Just thought I'd share.

I recently made a pair of Maori panels for our fence. I plan to doctor up the whole thing over the next few months.

I finished this one yesterday for my buddy Tai Won On. This one's called the "Tonga Drum". I've got 2
more of these cookin' in the garage.

This is a lamp I made for Smuggler's Cove before it opened, but when it was hung, Nacho and Martin decided it was
too big. I made a smaller one for SC, and this one went to Tiki Kaimuki, and then to Humuhumu. Anyway, Humu wanted this adapted to run horizontally, which I did yesterday. I kinda like it better this way!

Mahalo for lookin'!
Woody

Custom Tapa Swag Lamps and Sconces Built By Kahaka

[ Edited by: KAHAKA 2015-03-08 20:06 ]

Woody is the man. Doesn't get any better. :D

H

Doesn't get any better indeed.

K

Thanks braddahs. You da kine(dest).

T
Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.