Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Kahaka's Tiki Lamps

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 483 replies

I really like what it does to the ceiling. Way to jump in with both feet.

Yeah! dig those crazy light patterns!

Nice looking lamp, very unique and screams KAHAKA
still working on that trade....

O

Wow..very cool effect on the ceiling..looks vintage. I really like that one..Your wife will love it also,keep up the great work.

K

Thanks guys... my wife actually digs the lamp itself after all, but isn't crazy about the ceiling effect!

Here's another one I finished recently. I've always wanted to try the bamboo bottom... Ona Tiki's AMAZING lamps pushed me to go for it. This one hangs in our hallway.

Update... this lamp has migrated to the Kona Club in Oakland.

[ Edited by: KAHAKA 2006-02-19 10:59 ]

H
hewey posted on Wed, Jun 22, 2005 7:18 PM

Love that hallway lamp - very cool. I gotta admit, I'm not big on the ceiling effect of that first lamp, but I love the lamp itself.

Very cool work dude

O

Great job on this one...love the bamboo..nice shape also..lots of cutting though.

B

You Still make the coolest lamps Kahaka. I kind of like the first one the best. Thanks for sharing.

Wow - I love your lamps - they are so unique! Excellent opportunity to keep the tiki/beach hut tradition of groovy lighting going. We need someone like you down here in Australia to help deck out more Tiki Lounges, I am flat out trying to do a little of everything, tikis, bars, huts etc since the bug has bitten quite a few aussies - come on down!!

D

My dear,you are certainly talented.

K

Dang guys, I'm stoked that you like 'em. Thanks for all the kind words.

K
KAHAKA posted on Thu, Feb 2, 2006 9:55 PM

I haven't posted in any pics in a long while... Haven't really done anything out of the ordinary, but here's some lamps I finished for the Kona Club in Oaktown. Big ups to Bamboo Ben on that place!

I did try carving, and dang is it fun. Though it isn't tiki, I carved this frame for my wife for our 1 year wedding anniversary (we honeymooned in New Orleans, hence the fleur de leis). I wanna give it a go again when I get one of those "free moments." Sorry about the mushy wedding pic, by the way.

H
hewey posted on Thu, Feb 2, 2006 10:12 PM

Cool lamps - again. It might be a mushy wedding photo but its in a 50s convertable with mexican blankets - the cool factor outweighs the mushiness.

K

Here's some wall sconce's I've been working on. They're 8" wide x 10" tall.

[ Edited by: KAHAKA 2006-02-18 10:51 ]

whoa... I missed your last post - those lamps are too cool AND going to the Kona Club?!?!?! Awesome! They'll look great with B-bens work...fit right in. So how many tiki bars have your lamps now? :)

Those sconces are excellent. THose for home or for sale? or???? You got the magic touch for the lights. nice job!!!

PS - I still want to do that trade...just been super busy...

H
hewey posted on Sun, Feb 19, 2006 3:09 AM

Nice wall lamps, as always. The half circle design looks good too

K

Thanks you guys for nice words. Poly, I just about went bananers when Doug considered my lamps for the Kona. I was completely blown away when I dropped them off before the place opened. 'Boo Ben's work's friggin' bitchin' (that was 5 apostrophes in a row). I still needs to make me a visit out there... I haven't seen the place since it opened.

Here's my latest...

I tried staining the bamboo after torching it, like I did on the sconces.

[ Edited by: KAHAKA 2006-02-27 18:54 ]

O

Nice job!!! The bamboo bottom came out well.

Kahaka the lamp master

another beauty of a lamp! I dig the cut bamboo bottom - it looks time consuming, but the effect on the light looks totally cool.

K

Yeah, those bamboo bottoms are a bugger. Just ask OnaTiki... he's the bamboo bottom king!

Monkeyman, I'm no master... still trying to figure this lamp making thing out. Your latest lamp is cooler than anything I've seen!

H
hewey posted on Tue, Feb 28, 2006 1:26 AM

On 2006-02-27 20:24, KAHAKA wrote:
...still trying to figure this lamp making thing out...

Nah dude, your much past the "just figuring it out" stage. Love it, very cool.

K

New lamp for the VLV Ku tiki bar... made this a while back but didn't post it. I also just put pics of it up on Nacho's (creator of the Ku bar) collection of stuff.

[ Edited by: KAHAKA 2006-04-20 23:24 ]

C

Kahaka,

I've always found this form of lighting, extremely intriguing. It was, in fact, my search for tiki lighting that led me to TC. You should make a few commercial models and approach a chain store. I mean that in a sincerely positive way.

Very cool lamps Kahaka.

TL

Very nice lamps! They remind me of the "rental only" lamps at Oceanic Arts -- the ones I can never convince them to sell me! I love the look of the little bamboo rounds on the bottom. Are those just cut to short lengths and glued to the bottom?

Tripping-Da-Lightshow-Fantastic, Kahaka! De-lights iz smokin' HOT!!!
Ho Ssweeet brah, are they available to us mere mortals???

...Flippity-fLip-floPPin-Flip-OUT!!! --TravelingJones

Carving too? Once you start, you'll be hooked and want to add little carved pieces to all your new lamps. Love you lamps - I saw the ones at FI in persona few weeks past and they were HOT! you do fine work.

You going to Oasis?

K

Thanks guyssssss!

No, Poly, no Oasis for me... I really wanna go one of these times, though!

Just got back from the FI... super sweet! Martin rules! Bamboo Ben rules! YAY!

Your lamp work is inspiring on so many levels. Nice job! :drink:

B

Kahaka, you're just goin' Nutz with your lamp detail.. Mon oh man you are doing killer stuff here. Love the latest with the babmoo side trim and the Bamboo bottom is So Way Cool, even if it IS Eazy. Beautiful stuff.

M

On 2006-02-27 18:42, KAHAKA wrote:

Come see this beauty, and seven other Kahaka masterpieces, at the one and only Forbidden Island.

Kudos to you again, Kahaka, for the killer work!

K

Come see this beauty, and seven other Kahaka masterpieces, at the one and only Forbidden Island.

Kudos to you again, Kahaka, for the killer work!

Damned honored and pleased, my friend... you know where I'm at if you should need any more!

This is one beautiful lamp, Kahaka! Love the dark tones!

K

Here's a few I've made lately. I've got a few more I still need to take pictures of...

pushing the boundaries of lamp making. excellent.

H
hewey posted on Wed, Jul 12, 2006 7:57 PM

Amazing lamps. Nice work

Dude. Dude, dude. AWESOME lamps. they keep getting better and better! I LOVE the carved/painted wood on the sides of thelamps - they give them a very old school look to them. Those cut bamboo bottoms look like a pain inthe ass to do, but sure turn out looking REALLY nice!

Woody, very cool, I love mine!!!!

Amy

K

Thanks guys!
Monkeyman- Just tryin' to keep up!! Your stuff and everybody else's is blowing my mind!
Hewey- Thanks man... every compliment is more inspiration.
Polynesiac- It's way more fun working playing around with wood/paint for the sides of the lamps, but definitely more time consuming.
Queen K- Can't wait to see pics of 'em in your yard after you hang 'em!

those are AMAZING!! good work i really like them. keep it up

Your lights always rock man.

K
KAHAKA posted on Wed, Aug 2, 2006 4:54 PM

Flounder, you rule.
Tiki Duddy, you are awesome. Thanks to the both of ya'll.

Another batch of thatched style lamps I recently do-ed...

Mahalos,
Kahaka

Custom Swag Tapa Lamps Built By Kahaka

[ Edited by: KAHAKA 2007-07-06 15:32 ]

Beautiful lamps!

B

Kahaka, I haven't seen your lamps for awhile, WWOOWWW have they gotten better, or maybe itz cuz I had my eyes fixed. You are tryly the Lamp Master here on TC. Excellent work and they look great lit or Dark!!

K

Yo Tikiwahine & Ben... Bigggg thanks! I'm tryin' new stuff, taking more time, which makes it hard for me to look at my old stuff too.

[ Edited by: KAHAKA 2006-08-08 17:20 ]

look what has a new home in the dark marq!

it was nice to chat with you and your wife. hope you guys can make it out to see your lamps in person sometime!

Hat,
That is a beauty!
Kahaka, please put my name on the list for one of your babies.
PS, Do you accept food stamps? :)

K

Ya Hat, nice rappin' with you guys too. Thanks for cruizin' by. Your place is looking mighty sweet! The wife and I'll have to make a run out your way one of these days!

Unga, let me know what you're lookin' for and we'll set something up!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 483 replies