Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Locating Tiki

Aloha Island Grille, Santa Cruz, CA (restaurant)

Pages: 1 12 replies

Name:Aloha Island Grille
Type:restaurant
Street:1700 Portola Drive
City:Santa Cruz
State:CA
Zip:95062
Phone:831-479-3299

Description:
The Aloha Island grille serves authentic Hawaiian style plate lunches down by the beach. Grinds on the menu include kalua pig, kal bi ribs, loco mocos, mahi mahi, fresh ahi poke, chicken katsu and more. They even got poi. Prices are good, the food is ono and the servings are ample. Plates come with macaroni salad, rice and a slice of pineapple. They are now serving beer and occasionally playing live hawaiian music on the patio. They also showcase local art on the walls and have a few tikis created by SCtikis, with more on the way. The guys who own and run it (Timmy from Maui and Numa from Canada) are doing a fine job of bringing more Aloha and Hawaiian culture to Santa Cruz.

[

[ Edited by: Chongolio on 2004-09-02 13:01 ]

C

Here is the Illustration I did for the folks at the Grille for their business cards. The colors came out really nice looking!

Thanks for looking, Don't forget to give them a visit when your in S.C. The place gets better each time I go in there. Lots of aloha spirit!

Chongolio

UB

Excellent job Randy.
You should do business cards for Tiki Central members.

T

Yes Randy, nice work!

And Unga, he did our business card, and it's sweeeeeeeeeeet!

Love the business cards!

I drive by the Aloha Island Grille almost every day on my way home from work and the smell drives me crazy! They often have live music or art on their patio and the whole place has a very cool vibe.

Just be warned -- they don't take plastic so bring your cash if you go!

C

We have just finished up the new website for the "Da Grille."

Check it out in all of its 256 RGB glory:

http://www.alohaislandgrille.com

Check out the photo album for pics of local and visiting celebs.

-- I believe that our Heavenly Father invented the monkey because he was disappointed in man."
... Mark Twain

Come explore http://www.lost-isle.com

[ Edited by: Chongolio on 2004-11-08 18:01 ]

This just in from Da Grille:
On Saturday March 19th 2005 from 11:30- 5pm, come celebrate with Aloha Island Grille for our 1st year anniversary! That's right it's been a year already! We will have fun for da whole family with live music from Huna Wai, The Michelle Kiba Band, and Island Breeze! We will also have some hula dancing, balloons and temp tatoos, Shave ice, Hawaiian Arts and crafts and of course our ono food too!! Plus lots more so make sure to mark your calender! Come and help us in celebrating a great first year here in Santa Cruz! Our parking lot will be closed so please park at the East Cliff shopping center. Call us for directions (831)479-3299 We hope to see you there!!!

I will be there with some art and a crazy Pig. Rumor has it Will from SC tiki is going to be there with some carvings too

I had seen the ad for the Aloha Grille many times in Your Music Magazine and decided to take a few friends down this past week.

Let me tell you this, great prices, great food, great employees, I am going to do all that I can to help this place succeed. :)

One caveat, only 8 parking spaces is not enough and you know how hard it is to find a parking place on the East Side down by the beach...:)

Mahalo for all of you who have frequented da restaurant! I am now a member of Tiki Central! Why? because I love Tiki's first off! Next is because I am from Hawai'i. And last but not least I really like to read all of your posts about our place in Santa Cruz. And dis way we can talk if you have any questions or you want recipes! KDEN ALOHA A HUI HOU!

C

Aloha, Ikiaka with Mana. Good to see you became a member and Introduced yourself. Nice to have you around!

Hey all, Here is a local tip for parking at Da Grille.. go down Portola Ave towards the harbor and the west side. About 1 short block past Da Grille and on the right is a shopping center with lots of parking. I have never had any problems with tickets and it is a very short walk to the restaurant.

Chongolio

While in the Santa Cruz area, I was able to stop by the Aloha Island Grille for an early dinner. It was exactly as expected from the descriptions in other TC postings... friendly, very casual (self service), clean, great tasting and a good selection of hawaiian inspired foods.

I had a combination plate which I picked 2 items: coconut prawns and Kalua pig with cabbage. The combo plates come with 2 scoops of steamed rice and a scoop of macaroni salad (hawaiian style). Note: you can substitute fruit salad or tossed salad for those not wanting all the starchy carbs. The portions were perfect size for a big lunch, or filling dinner (even without eating both scoops of rice). Although different brands of beer were available, I selected a cold can of Guava Necter from my favorite Hawaiian drink maker - Hawaiian Sun. The entire meal was under $10.00.

Other items on their menu include Lomi Salmon, Ahi Poke, Spam Musubi, manapua, Loco Moco, Grilled Mahi-mahi, grilled beef or chicken or vegetable teriyaki, and mahimahi or chicken katsu. You can even get a side order of Kalua Pig (which I had to bring home or I wouldn't have been allowed in the door) and Poi! They have almost all flavors of cold drinks from Hawaiian Sun to round out that full Hawaiian taste.

The staff was very friendly and kept the place clean. Your order is placed and paid for at the counter, but is brought to you at your table. When you are done, you are asked to bus your own table, but the staff is quick to wipe off the table so those waiting can grab a seat.

Overall, it was a great dining experience knowing the casual Hawaiian atmosphere I was to encounter. And, I have leftover Kalua Pork for lunch today!!

Many mahalos to Aloha Island Grille for giving me a little shot of Aloha during my work week!!

Hay that Canadian at the Grille wouldn't happen to be Numa Trepanier would it?

Just checked the website and answered my own question... it is.

Ikaika... tell Numa that Shawna and Andy from Vancouver say Aloha. And next time he comes to town not to rent a cheezzzy Mustang! :wink:

[ Edited by: roadkutter on 2005-05-05 13:50 ]

Mahalo to Chongolio for the tip on parking at da grille! He is right Polivios parking lot is free parking and is a hop skip and a jump from da place! Also Parking permits are only needed on WEEKENDS and HOLIDAYS till 5PM. You can always call me if you are having a problem: 479-3299
To TIKIWINEBEAR, I am so stoked to hear you had a great experience at da grille. WOW you know so much about da menu and stuff! EXPERT AH? Love to meet ya so stop on by and ask for Timmy! and to those Canadian fans who love Numa I will be sure to have him read your post! Eh i heard that Chongolio guy is an insane Artist,Illustrator, and web guy!? A HUI HOU!

Pages: 1 12 replies