Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Locating Tiki

Mai Kai, Fort Lauderdale, FL (restaurant)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 509 replies

The Mai-Kai updates its classic cocktail menu for the 21st century

Check out this in-depth preview on The Atomic Grog ...
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2014/01/04/historic-mai-kai-celebrated-new-cocktail-menu-unveiled-at-anniversary-party/

Among the highlights:

• The new menu harkens back to the 1956 original, with all the drinks displayed on an impressive centerspread (see above).

• The centerspread features a background map of Polynesia and all 46 of The Mai-Kai's classic tropical rum-based cocktails on one page. It also pays tribute to longtime owner Mireille Thornton with a vintage photo of her in the center.

• The vintage mid-century drawings that have identified the drinks for the past 57 years have been replaced by beautiful photographs that show off just how colorful and creative these concoctions are.

• One drink was dropped (The Mai-Kai Cappuccino from the after-dinner selection is now on the dessert menu) and one new one added: The Tiki Swizzle on the strong menu. It made its debut at The Hukilau last June and has recently been featured on its own special table tent menu. It has been popular enough to be included on the new menu.

• The smaller format with multiple pages has been replaced by a large four-page menu: 20 inches wide by 22 inches tall when open, 10×22 when closed. The back page features a list of 50 wines.

• A newly enlarged rum list is featured on the top of the front page, touting 33 "Rums of Exceptional Quality and Value" and 18 from the "Mai-Kai Selection of Elite Rums." That's a total of 51 rums to choose from.

• Also on the front page is a new selection of martinis, which can be ordered with either vodka or rum. Consider it a nod to the tourists and non-Tiki folks.

• The menu is not yet being offered to guests. Look for it to be put into service sometime later this month, along with a newly designed dinner menu.

In the works: I'll take a closer look at The Mai-Kai's cocktail menus though the years, tracing the history of all the classic drinks with sample menus from every decade dating back to 1956.

Okole maluna!

Featuring The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide

[ Edited by: Hurricane Hayward 2014-01-04 14:17 ]

T

SWEET A+!

The passing of the guard: The new menu replaces the old this weekend in The Molokai bar ....

Will they offer the old (and maybe new) menu for sale to us collectors?

That's definitely being discussed. Stay tuned!

Despite being a lifelong Florida resident--I've lived no more than ten miles from the Mai-Kai at any given time--I have never been to the place! I used to pass by it as a child, wistfully watching it fade behind me as the family car drove past.

However, I will be there next month. Seeing this thread has me quite stoked...I cannot WAIT!

O
Otto posted on Fri, May 9, 2014 3:34 PM

http://www.yelp.com/biz/mai-kai-restaurant-and-polynesian-show-fort-lauderdale?hrid=W6QAg13hLRLkTYKQRxEdQg#src:self

The greatest Tiki bar in the world - The Mai Kai in Fort Lauderdale, Florida - needs your help.

They were recently hit by a slew of bad reviews that is now hurting their business.

If you have ever been to the Mai Kai now is the time to post a review.
Take five minutes and do this today/this weekend
Google Places
Yelp
Trip Advisor

if you have not been to the Mai Kai, visit their page and LIKE them
and then make plans to get there as soon as you can!!!

Please share this with your friends.

Here I am in front of the Mai Kai recently

B

done! Thanks hubbie for reminding us!
XOXO

ET

Posted my review on Yelp and Trip Advisor just now.................

[ Edited by: Ebb Tide 2014-05-10 10:52 ]

Don't forget to upvote/favorite/promote/thumbs up/like the positive reviews on those sites too!

The more 'votes' the good reviews get the less harmful the bad reviews are.

It's been way too long since I've been to Mai Kai (at least 6 months - gasp!). Tomorrow I'll drop off my Mai Kai Club application. Does anyone know if they are selling off the old drink menus?

Despite being a lifelong Miamian, I've never made it to the Mai Kai... and I'm a little distressed that it's been cited by the health dept.

Can one just go to the Mai Kai and order drinks and still enjoy the show and grounds? Or are the ammeneties strictly for diners only? I would love to eat there, but I'm a bit leery...

E E

On 2014-05-13 06:59, EPCOTExplorer wrote:
Despite being a lifelong Miamian, I've never made it to the Mai Kai... and I'm a little distressed that it's been cited by the health dept.

Can one just go to the Mai Kai and order drinks and still enjoy the show and grounds? Or are the ammeneties strictly for diners only? I would love to eat there, but I'm a bit leery...

E E

First, the health department thing is being way overblown. The Mai Kai consistently receives A or better ratings, this one inspection was a 'young pup' trying to make a name for himself. AND! The Mai Kai was reinspected the following day, given a A+ rating, and opened for business.

For just drinks..... You can have drinks and appetizers in the Molokai Bar (just to the left when you walk in) and enjoy the decor and scenery. The scantily clad Molokai Maidens will bring you any of the 52 drinks from the menu, or if you prefer there is an extensive wine cellar available.

After you've had your fill of the Molokai, take a stroll through the gardens with your date. The Gardens are just down the steps and to the left, turn left at the fish tanks, and then right through the doors.

If you would like to sit down for dinner, but would prefer a quiet evening with your date you can ask for a reservation in Tahiti, Samoa, or outside on the Lanai. Same great food, same great drinks, just no dinner show.

As tourist season winds down the Mai Kai will soon be going dark on Monday's so plan accordingly.

Wednesday's is Sushi Happy Hour in the Molokai. Really crowded, but that makes it kind of fun.

Fridays and Saturdays the second dinner show is a bit later, and when crowded they put on a third show so if you want to do the late night thing you can. Again, call first because the Mai Kai switches to a 'summer schedule' about this time of the year.

Sunday is family night with a more kid-centric dinner show. I don't have kids so I haven't seen it, those who have say it is fun.

If you still aren't sure about the Mai Kai, then you should keep your eyes open for one of the semi-regular gatherings of the local crowd because it really is more fun with a crowd. In fact, next Thursday (5/22) there is going to be a Tiki Bingo night at the Mai Kai from 6 to 8. A bit of fun for the evening and a chance to meet some people while raising a few dollars for charity.

On 2014-05-13 07:33, Chip and Andy wrote:

E E

First, the health department thing is being way overblown. The Mai Kai consistently receives A or better ratings, this one inspection was a 'young pup' trying to make a name for himself. AND! The Mai Kai was reinspected the following day, given a A+ rating, and opened for business.

For just drinks..... You can have drinks and appetizers in the Molokai Bar (just to the left when you walk in) and enjoy the decor and scenery. The scantily clad Molokai Maidens will bring you any of the 52 drinks from the menu, or if you prefer there is an extensive wine cellar available.

After you've had your fill of the Molokai, take a stroll through the gardens with your date. The Gardens are just down the steps and to the left, turn left at the fish tanks, and then right through the doors.

If you would like to sit down for dinner, but would prefer a quiet evening with your date you can ask for a reservation in Tahiti, Samoa, or outside on the Lanai. Same great food, same great drinks, just no dinner show.

As tourist season winds down the Mai Kai will soon be going dark on Monday's so plan accordingly.

Wednesday's is Sushi Happy Hour in the Molokai. Really crowded, but that makes it kind of fun.

Fridays and Saturdays the second dinner show is a bit later, and when crowded they put on a third show so if you want to do the late night thing you can. Again, call first because the Mai Kai switches to a 'summer schedule' about this time of the year.

Sunday is family night with a more kid-centric dinner show. I don't have kids so I haven't seen it, those who have say it is fun.

If you still aren't sure about the Mai Kai, then you should keep your eyes open for one of the semi-regular gatherings of the local crowd because it really is more fun with a crowd. In fact, next Thursday (5/22) there is going to be a Tiki Bingo night at the Mai Kai from 6 to 8. A bit of fun for the evening and a chance to meet some people while raising a few dollars for charity.

Thanks!! Good to know. I'll probably go for drinks and see the place... and head back for dinner, seeing I'll probably fall in love with the place. :) It looks wonderful.

S

It is sad a low that some lady who wants to try to screw the Mai-Kai with a law suit got some air time by the local news. That is BS. They health inspection result was overblown. This is a huge place and small things can happen and are easily corrected and were. Coming up on 60 years in business. They have staff in that kitchen that have been there decades. They know what they are doing and you should not worry about that stuff.

I prefer a quiet night in Molokai. When you hear the drums of the show, wander through and on to the gardens.

BUT! Go see the show and dinner! It is such a rare treat! Tip the Maitre D for a good seat. Their show is quality and the Supper Club is a rarity these days. The performers are great and being in that big room where they have been doing this since 1961 is just goose-pimply. I recommend something from the Chinese ovens. Again, this is pretty unique to the Mai-Kai. Had to convince the health board that a method of cooking that has been used for centuries was okay and the original staff who manned the ovens were expert and passed on the knowledge. Fantastic stuff.

Get a flaming coffee grog in the dining room too to see it in the right light. Another tradition only at the Mai-Kai that is straight from Donn Beach himself.

On 2014-05-13 07:50, Swanky wrote:
It is sad a low that some lady who wants to try to screw the Mai-Kai with a law suit got some air time by the local news. That is BS. They health inspection result was overblown. This is a huge place and small things can happen and are easily corrected and were. Coming up on 60 years in business. They have staff in that kitchen that have been there decades. They know what they are doing and you should not worry about that stuff.

I prefer a quiet night in Molokai. When you hear the drums of the show, wander through and on to the gardens.

BUT! Go see the show and dinner! It is such a rare treat! Tip the Maitre D for a good seat. Their show is quality and the Supper Club is a rarity these days. The performers are great and being in that big room where they have been doing this since 1961 is just goose-pimply. I recommend something from the Chinese ovens. Again, this is pretty unique to the Mai-Kai. Had to convince the health board that a method of cooking that has been used for centuries was okay and the original staff who manned the ovens were expert and passed on the knowledge. Fantastic stuff.

Get a flaming coffee grog in the dining room too to see it in the right light. Another tradition only at the Mai-Kai that is straight from Donn Beach himself.

I'm happy to hear it... Sounds very nice. Love that the place's history is shining through.

What mugs/drinks would you all recomend?

And thanks for the warm welcome. :)

On 2014-05-13 08:02, EPCOTExplorer wrote:

Here is my recommendation for an evening....

Start with a nice table in the Molokai Bar. If you are alone for the evening, then sit at the bar, the girls are just as pretty.

Have a Jet Pilot and a PuPu Platter. Do check with your Molokai Maiden first, sometimes there is something on special or off-menu that is seasonal.

Then move to the dining room for the dinner show. Order a Derby Daiquiri, or a Floridita Daiquiri if you prefer something less sweet. Both are light and refreshing and make a good transition to dinner.

For dinner, order anything from the Chinese Ovens. The steaks are magical and between the marinade and the ovens you will not find anything better in all of South Florida.

If you aren't so much into eating beef, try the fish. It is cooked over an open flame using the same hardwood they use in the ovens. Mahi is almost always available, do ask your server what is available because it changes seasonally.

To drink, you can never go wrong with a Rum Barrel or a Black Magic. I think I mentioned before about the wine cellar.... if you like wine it is worth looking at the list.

Don't forget desert! Flaming fruit over ice cream is always a treat, you can have cherries or bananas.

A nice stroll through the gardens, some pictures if you like, and back around to the Molokai Bar for an after dinner drink. A Flaming Coffee Grog is an awesome presentation and highly recommended. A Wahini's Delight or Chocolate Snowflake are both good desert drinks.

By this point in your evening you should have reached sensory overload.... awesome drinks, fantastic presentation, amazing decor, spectacular food, and I think I mentioned the scantily clad Molokai Maidens already. Now it is time to ask your valet to bring your car around and you can head home.

After your evening you will understand why so many people get this far-off look with a slight smile when you mention the Mai Kai.

You may need to adjust some of the drink recommendations, you might prefer your drinks sweeter, or weaker, or both.

On 2014-05-13 08:40, Chip and Andy wrote:

On 2014-05-13 08:02, EPCOTExplorer wrote:

Here is my recommendation for an evening....

Start with a nice table in the Molokai Bar. If you are alone for the evening, then sit at the bar, the girls are just as pretty.

Have a Jet Pilot and a PuPu Platter. Do check with your Molokai Maiden first, sometimes there is something on special or off-menu that is seasonal.

Then move to the dining room for the dinner show. Order a Derby Daiquiri, or a Floridita Daiquiri if you prefer something less sweet. Both are light and refreshing and make a good transition to dinner.

For dinner, order anything from the Chinese Ovens. The steaks are magical and between the marinade and the ovens you will not find anything better in all of South Florida.

If you aren't so much into eating beef, try the fish. It is cooked over an open flame using the same hardwood they use in the ovens. Mahi is almost always available, do ask your server what is available because it changes seasonally.

To drink, you can never go wrong with a Rum Barrel or a Black Magic. I think I mentioned before about the wine cellar.... if you like wine it is worth looking at the list.

Don't forget desert! Flaming fruit over ice cream is always a treat, you can have cherries or bananas.

A nice stroll through the gardens, some pictures if you like, and back around to the Molokai Bar for an after dinner drink. A Flaming Coffee Grog is an awesome presentation and highly recommended. A Wahini's Delight or Chocolate Snowflake are both good desert drinks.

By this point in your evening you should have reached sensory overload.... awesome drinks, fantastic presentation, amazing decor, spectacular food, and I think I mentioned the scantily clad Molokai Maidens already. Now it is time to ask your valet to bring your car around and you can head home.

After your evening you will understand why so many people get this far-off look with a slight smile when you mention the Mai Kai.

You may need to adjust some of the drink recommendations, you might prefer your drinks sweeter, or weaker, or both.

Yepp. This sounds heavenly. Going ASAP. :)

Eager to add a Mai Kai mug to my shelf of Tiki.

E E

I was just at the Mai Kai 3 nights ago - my first trip back in months. Yes, you can go in and just head to the bar (immediately to your left when you walk in). You can also feel free to get up and take a self guided tour of the restaurant, gift shop, and gardens. Wednesday night is very popular thanks to free sushi, and happy hour runs till 7 if I remember correctly. The Mai Kai cocktails are not cheap so if it's your first time go during happy hour so you can try a few (and bring a designated driver).

Remember, the Mai Kai is a swanky joint from the 50s, and it still has the type of service you would expect back from those days. Your car will be parked by a valet (free). A doorman will greet you when you walk in, and 5 feet in front of him will be the host who will find a table for you if you want to eat. Just heading to the bar? Three feet away from the doorman is the bar entrance, where you'll also find a host to welcome you to the bar. Going to the restroom? The attendant will hand you a clean towel after you wash your hands. Not to worry though, the attire is fairly casual (hawaiian shirt is perfect) and the staff is always very friendly and will guide you to where you want to be.

Don't let the health department thing scare you off. If you read the actual report you'll see most of what they were cited for was minor (Soda guns not sparkling clean? A worker not washing his hands before he put on gloves? Really? I won't mention the other findings here.)

I'm happy to say they have done a nice job of renovating the gardens. Some of the more damaged tikis have been replaced, and the waterfall is no longer painted green (whose idea was that anyway???). There is still plenty of work to be done (fix the damn ceiling in the gift shop already!!!) but it looks like they are finally starting to put some money back into the place.

Your first trip will NOT be your last, so take my advice. Go to the Mai Kai website and download a copy of the application for the Mai Kai Club, fill it out, and bring it with you on your first visit. For $20 you'll get your membership card in the mail along with $18 drink coupons and two 2-4-1 admissions to the show. The card is good for 25% off all your bills on weekdays. It will pay for itself your first return trip. Good through the Summer until December comes.

http://maikai.com/experience/mai-kai-club

On 2014-05-17 19:07, Doc Aikane wrote:

E E

I was just at the Mai Kai 3 nights ago - my first trip back in months. Yes, you can go in and just head to the bar (immediately to your left when you walk in). You can also feel free to get up and take a self guided tour of the restaurant, gift shop, and gardens. Wednesday night is very popular thanks to free sushi, and happy hour runs till 7 if I remember correctly. The Mai Kai cocktails are not cheap so if it's your first time go during happy hour so you can try a few (and bring a designated driver).

Remember, the Mai Kai is a swanky joint from the 50s, and it still has the type of service you would expect back from those days. Your car will be parked by a valet (free). A doorman will greet you when you walk in, and 5 feet in front of him will be the host who will find a table for you if you want to eat. Just heading to the bar? Three feet away from the doorman is the bar entrance, where you'll also find a host to welcome you to the bar. Going to the restroom? The attendant will hand you a clean towel after you wash your hands. Not to worry though, the attire is fairly casual (hawaiian shirt is perfect) and the staff is always very friendly and will guide you to where you want to be.

Don't let the health department thing scare you off. If you read the actual report you'll see most of what they were cited for was minor (Soda guns not sparkling clean? A worker not washing his hands before he put on gloves? Really? I won't mention the other findings here.)

I'm happy to say they have done a nice job of renovating the gardens. Some of the more damaged tikis have been replaced, and the waterfall is no longer painted green (whose idea was that anyway???). There is still plenty of work to be done (fix the damn ceiling in the gift shop already!!!) but it looks like they are finally starting to put some money back into the place.

Your first trip will NOT be your last, so take my advice. Go to the Mai Kai website and download a copy of the application for the Mai Kai Club, fill it out, and bring it with you on your first visit. For $20 you'll get your membership card in the mail along with $18 drink coupons and two 2-4-1 admissions to the show. The card is good for 25% off all your bills on weekdays. It will pay for itself your first return trip. Good through the Summer until December comes.

http://maikai.com/experience/mai-kai-club

great advice! Thanks so much. Very excited to finally see the place. :)

Made it to the Mai Kai! ADORED it. That's a gem. Pure tiki culture… the show, the perpetual rain on the Molokai windows, the gardens… So good. I'll be back. Thanks for your advice. :)

You're gonna love exploring their drink menu in the Molokai bar! It may lead you to build-out whatever tiki bar and rum collection you already have at home, so beware, heh... :drink:

On 2014-05-24 21:41, AceExplorer wrote:
You're gonna love exploring their drink menu in the Molokai bar! It may lead you to build-out whatever tiki bar and rum collection you already have at home, so beware, heh... :drink:

YEP. Lots of plans to head to the liquor store, today. hahah.

Question, though… To the right of the car port, there's a semi-abandoned building. What is that? There were some great tiki statues outside of it, but I couldn't get too close.

That's the secret Room of Tiki Initiation. ("Thank you sir, may I have another?")

No, that's not really what it is. I've never seen it open or in use, but I think it's a rentable private event space. Someone else here may have more info for you, maybe has even been inside and can tell us more. I'm sure there are some good stories.

On 2014-05-25 07:34, AceExplorer wrote:
That's the secret Room of Tiki Initiation. ("Thank you sir, may I have another?")

No, that's not really what it is. I've never seen it open or in use, but I think it's a rentable private event space. Someone else here may have more info for you, maybe has even been inside and can tell us more. I'm sure there are some good stories.

To quote your signature… Another drink? Sure!

Hope someone knows… the poor thing looked like it needed a bit of love.

While we are on the subject- is the music from the show available for download, anywhere? The Mai Kai website has it on autoplay, but I kinda want it on my iPod. LOL

It doesn't look as if the Mai-Kai has the music available for purchase or download anywhere. It's a simple Flash player that's playing mp3 files stored on their web server, so it's actually possible to download them; but since they're not making them available it isn't my place to make that decision for them. :P

I'm actually surprised they don't make a CD available for purchase. For that matter, I'm really surprised they don't have a gift shop available online. In this day and age, it's so easy to set up an online store it seems like they're just losing money by not having one.

Just found this thread lamenting the same lack of music availability: http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=21383&forum=11

[ Edited by: TikiTacky 2014-05-25 14:20 ]

There have gotta be some audio recording and studio folks online here who could approach Kern and Pia at the Mai-Kai. (Jim Teitelbaum, for example) Music clearances would have to be obtained, a script written, and then recording and editing sessions afterwards. Then, there are many places that duplicate discs now, or you can obviously release via MP3s online with dreaded DRM.

Just thinkin' out loud. This could be a cool project for someone. They're at 50+ years now, it's a good suggestion.

On 2014-05-25 14:11, TikiTacky wrote:
I'm really surprised they don't have a gift shop available online. In this day and age, it's so easy to set up an online store it seems like they're just losing money by not having one.

[ Edited by: TikiTacky 2014-05-25 14:20 ]

Heh....I just took a look. If you want to purchase a gift card, they actually have a form for you to download and print.

How quaint!

howlinowl

After you fill out the form, attach it to a carrier pigeon to return it.

I'm all for keeping the "old ways" alive, but this is ridiculous! :)

EPCOTExplorer: Great to hear you have been initiated into the wonderful world of The Mai-Kai. Regarding the drink menu, I'm hoping you've been consulting my online guide:
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/mai-kai-cocktail-guide/
It's also fun to call up this page on a smart phone while you're in the bar and try to figure out which recipes you can make at home. I'm still trying to figure out many of the:
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/mai-kai-cocktail-guide/mai-kai-cocktail-recipes/
If anyone cares to follow along, I'll be posting more recipes and Mai-Kai cocktail stories in the coming months. I post any updates over on this thread: http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=47293&forum=10

Regarding the old building to the north of the valet stand, that's the original gift shop (back when the current gift shop was a dining room). I'm pretty sure there are photos up on TC on another thread if someone can find them and post a link. It's been closed for some time, and I've heard that the damage caused by storms has made it very costly to repair to the point of making it unusable as a public space. They currently use if for storage. I was in there a few years ago when they were selling the old chairs, and they were being stored in there. I'm gonna ask Swanky to chime in here since he's the expert on exactly when it was built, closed, etc. The good news is that there are rumors floating around that it may be repaired and put back into use as a special event space at some point.

Speaking of Swanky, I'm going to refer you to his website for an excellent download of authentic South Seas music that I believe is very similar to what The Mai-Kai plays. He'll be able to speak more to that, but here's the link to his blog with info and a link to the downloads page:
http://www.swankpad.org/blather/2010/08/14/swank-vinyl-exotica-is-free/
Download "Swank Vinyl Exotica I" and also volume II. He's got some other cool stuff there too.

And regarding the old drink menus: I know there's a plan to make them available to the public, but I'm not sure when. A lot of them had to be cleaned up, re-bound, etc. I'm guessing we'll hear something at The Hukilau next week.

Also FYI, on the final day of the event (Sunday, June 15), The Mai-Kai will host an exhibit of artifacts from the archives during the afternoon while The Molokai Bar is open for appetizers and drinks. "Come and browse through the Mai-Kais precious historic photos, costumes, scrapbooks, mugs, dinnerware, menus and more."
http://thehukilau.com/2014/schedule-of-events/

The official blog of The Hukilau

Featuring The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide

[ Edited by: Hurricane Hayward 2014-06-06 11:48 ]

I'm trying to find out what the "very special addition" to the exhibit will be. Stay tuned.

[ Edited by: Hurricane Hayward 2014-06-06 11:45 ]

S

As for the building to the right, that is "Bora Bora". It is being renovated. It was "condemned" for a very short time by a very green inspector. After a second, more professional inspection that didn't mean walking around it for 30 seconds and saying it needed to go, it got a clean bill of health. Last I knew it was going to be a cigar and cognac kind of place. I think it is to be decided, but it is not going away. Last year it was still storage.

The music played in the restaurant is partly mine and partly others. I have donated CDs to them many years ago. They play a variety and you can request Swanky's CD be played for more vintage Hapa Haole and Exotic tunes.

The actual show is meant to be enjoyed in the moment and in your memory. I'm sure that if they wanted to offer a DVD of the show they could get Jochen to put something together. He already has lots of footage from when they worked on the DVD of Tiki and filmed the entire 2004 show. Plus I think they have done more since. I just don't think it is on their radar to do it.

Fantastic information, guys! Thanks so much.

Hope Bora Bora opens again soon… could be a nice little outpost away from the main show.

The special event sounds awesome. I'm kicking myself (well, not too much, I'll be up at WDW and the Polynesian!!) that I'm out of town that weekend. I need a second visit to the Mai Kai, after all. Maybe on the way back from Orlando….

EPCOTExplorer, try to drop by on Sunday. It's always enlightening when they open the archives.

FYI, I just posted a comprehensive look at two special mugs that are being produced in association with The Mai-Kai that are inspired by some iconic images:

http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2014/06/06/artists-pay-tribute-to-the-mai-kai-with-one-of-a-kind-mugs/

The Mai-Kai Mug by Tiki Diablo (above), based on an old fallen carving from the tiki garden ...

And The Molokai Maiden from Crazy Al and Swank Pad Productions, which replicates the mysterious masthead found in The Molokai bar ...

This sunday or next? I might be able to make the trek, today… but next sunday I'm up in Disney. Eating at the Polynesian. Heheh.

And already ordered by Diablo mug. GREAT design.

Lookie what came in the mail today!!!!.....

Pretty stoked! Especially since I have a week long meeting at the company I work for coming up and they may (may...it may not) have changed it from Orlando to Miramar (Just south and west a bit from the Mai Kai). The only unfortunate thing is that I may have to drive the round-trip from Port St. Lucie to Lauderdale everyday (They were going to put us up in a hotel in Orlando). Won't be able to make the show, but I could stop by for a cocktail.

Just visited their site, printed the forum and mailed it with 20 bucks. I was expecting to receive a paper membership card, especially since the membership only lasts 6 months, but I am impressed they went with the no-doubtably more costly plastic card embossed with my name.

Two complimentary drink coupons, Two 2for1 admission coupons to the Polynesian Show and 25% off Ala Carte Menu items (if you spend $500 between now and Aug 31, you receive 50% off from Sept. 1 to Dec. 1)...plus a cool plastic membership card. Even if you're only planning on visiting once sometime during the rest of the year, this is well worth the $20.

Now if i could only board a time machine and get a membership to the Playboy Club in Miami in the '60s....

howlinowl

(edited to correct spelling)

[ Edited by: howlinowl 2014-06-10 14:00 ]

Also, during happy hour in the Molokai Bar, all drinks and appetizers are half price.

Breaking news: As a Hukilau exclusive, old "retired" food and drink menus as well as a small amount of the new drink menu are being sold in the gift shop at The Mai-Kai. First-come, first-served tonight and tomorrow.

I look forward to seeing these $20 menus appearing on eBay for $60! :wink:

At Hukilau I dug into the old building north of the valet stand and directly across from the Mai-Kai main entrance. It was the original gift shop, but lately has seen a fair amount of activity, mostly as a store room. There has been quite a bit of speculation as to what's going on. I crossed the chain and took photos yesterday. Yes, a number of old chairs are stored in there, along with some other stuff. A couple other guys who were walking around the building heard, and told me, that they heard it was going to be turned into -- wait for it -- a tiki cigar lounge. I didn't see any evidence of any real "work" being done in there, although there were a couple saw horses set up, and clearly someone was using the space as a sort of workshop to cut some wood.

I asked Pia about the space later that evening, and also about the "cigar lounge." Her exact words to me were, "Hahahaha, that's the first I've heard of that! Nope, we don't have any plans for it in the near future. But maybe later. Nothing is planned right now."

I took some pics yesterday and will post them here soon.

My favorite photo that I took at The Hukilau: Crazy Al and Beachbum Berry in The Mai-Kai's tiki garden on Sunday ...

On Saturday, The Hukilau and artist Jeff Chouinard presented owner Dave Levy with one of Chouinard's tikis, which will get a special home inside The Mai-Kai. That's manager Kern Mattei at left channeling King Kukulele ...

Levy then got a mystery dance in honor of his birthday (with Crazy Al helping out on percussion) ...

Earlier, Al showed off his Molokai Maiden mug (coming soon from Swank Pad Productions) next to the real deal ...

And the memorable evening ended with the Sweet Hollywaiians from Japan performing a rare set on the main showroom stage ...

Not a smoker, but that cigar bar idea sounds interesting.

How about a Mai Kai museum, guys? :)

On 2014-06-17 10:08, EPCOTExplorer wrote:

There is already one of those..... Its located at 3599 N Federal Highway.

:wink:

S

If it was a tax write-off, it could work. Plenty of images around and certainly lots of pieces from mugs and menus to old signs and costumes. Celebrities and videos.

The Bum bought a bunch of the chairs that were being stored there for Latitude 29.

I have heard the plans, but I think the final plan is still being debated.

Not a lot is written about this, but apparently much of the Thornton brothers' original collection of Polynesian artifacts was donated to their alma mater, Stanford University, in the 1970s after it was deemed to be too valuable to be displayed in the restaurant. Part of the collection was donated to the Fort Lauderdale Museum of Art. It was last displayed in an exhibit there in 2011.

On 2014-06-18 00:01, Hurricane Hayward wrote:
Not a lot is written about this, but apparently much of the Thornton brothers' original collection of Polynesian artifacts was donated to their alma mater, Stanford University, in the 1970s after it was deemed to be too valuable to be displayed in the restaurant. Part of the collection was donated to the Fort Lauderdale Museum of Art. It was last displayed in an exhibit there in 2011.

Whoa! What's happened to it, since?!

On 2014-06-17 11:59, Chip and Andy wrote:

There is already one of those..... Its located at 3599 N Federal Highway.

:wink:

Good point. :wink:

On 2014-06-17 13:03, Swanky wrote:

If it was a tax write-off, it could work. Plenty of images around and certainly lots of pieces from mugs and menus to old signs and costumes. Celebrities and videos.

The Bum bought a bunch of the chairs that were being stored there for Latitude 29.

I have heard the plans, but I think the final plan is still being debated.

I'm getting my MA in history…. maybe I can help out. heheh.

Stop me if you've heard this one.

An architectural photographer walks into the Mai Kai . .

All taken by me during Hukilau 2014. WHAT AN AMAZING PLACE!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 509 replies