Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Locating Tiki

Mai Kai, Fort Lauderdale, FL (restaurant)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 509 replies

T

Cavalier magazine, July 1962, featured the Mai-Kai's Derby Daiquiri, "this deceptively gentle-looking orchidaceous labellum-twister"!

I saw this on google news and thought it was an interesting ad from 1962

Here a closeup of the text

"Supermoon" over the Mai-Kai ...

My wife and I celebrated the first anniversary of our Mai-Kai wedding on March 19, the night of the "supermoon". Check out more photos on flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/28078283@N05/sets/72157626331278068/

P
Philot posted on Thu, Apr 7, 2011 8:31 AM

We might get a chance to make a trip to the Mai Kai sometime this summer. I've been wanting to go for years, but this would be our first time.

I was wondering if anyone out there had some hints for making the most out of the visit.

The best that I've gathered from reading threads on the board is "go early so you have some time to visit the garden before dinner".

My wife suffers from migraines, so we may or may not take in a show. I'm guessing that among other things, they're playing wooden drums, which might be too loud and percussive for her to enjoy for long.

Are there any floor plans online showing the layout of the place? I understand they have several dining rooms, a bar and the show room. Are they set up so one can wander around the whole place gawking, or do you have to pretty much keep to the dining room you're seated in?

On 2011-04-07 08:31, Philot wrote:
I was wondering if anyone out there had some hints for making the most out of the visit.

Summertime? Go the otherway 'round. Have dinner then wander the gardens.

The gardens are beautiful, but after dark it becomes magical!

Arrive early, have a drink (or three) and appetizers in the Molokai bar.

If you want to skip the show, ask to be seated in the back dining rooms (Tahiti or Moorea). You can enjoy your dinner and not have to worry about what the show might do to the wifes migraines.

As to floor plans.... there aren't any on-line that I am aware of, but I will do my best to describe for you. You will need your imagination for this because my writing skills are questionable at best:

You arrive at the Mai Kai by crossing a little wooden bridge and under the thatched roof the valet will take care of your car for you.

As you walk in the front doors, immediately to your left is the Molokai Bar. The Molokai looks very much like the inside of a old merchant ship, there is rain against the windows, and you hear the occasional thunder from outside (an nice effect of the wooden bridge at the entrance). The total effect is as if you are being carried away to far off exotic islands.

Once you've enjoyed a cocktail or two (there are 52 on the menu, and I like all but two of them), it will be time for dinner. Your host will greet you just outside of the Molokai where you will be entrusted to your Table Captain who will seat you. Depending on your reservation, or your request, you will be seated in one of several dining rooms. The 'Gardens' are at center stage, and three other dining rooms surround in such a way as to all face the main stage. If the show is not your thing, ask to be seated in Tahiti or Moorea, the two back dining rooms. The dinner is just as yummy, but the overall scene is much quieter, more personal, more like your on a date.

I can highly recommend the steaks! The Mai Kai uses Chinese style wood-fired ovens and what those ovens do to a steak is beyond words and can only be described as magical.

If cow isn't your first choice for dinner, you won't be disappointed with any of the fish dishes.

I should add a word of caution here.... there is a "Chinese" section of the menu. All of the dishes in this part of the menu are good, but they aren't anything better than you can get at your average take-away joint down the street. They are fun, however, as a taste of the past because I don't think they have changed up this part of the menu since the late 70's.

Back to the tour!

After you have had your dinner and desert, and hopefully an after dinner cocktail, it is time to stroll through the Gardens. If your in the main dining hall, you will walk down the hall (check out the vintage Leeteg velvets!) and turn left at the Fish Tank, down the few steps and then out to the gardens.

Once outside you will notice to your right the Chinese ovens mentioned above and to your left a huge fountain. Resist the urge to take a photo in front of the fountain. The fountain looses something on film, it just isn't as magical as standing next to it.

Follow the path around and in the back will be a wide area with a huge tiki standing sentinel over the gardens. This is where you want to take your picture!

Follow the path a little bit further and you will have another photo opportunity looking upward at the Mai Kai sign. Yes, everyone gets this shot, but if you do it right you can get the torches in the foreground, you and/or your spouse in the middle, and the Mai-Kai sign in the background.

Continuing the tour, you will come to a door that leads into the Inside Gardens. Some more tiki's, a beautiful fountain, some great shots if you still have your camera out and ready.

The path eventually leads you back to the main dining hall. When you get back to where the Host or Hostess is, turn left and visit the Mai-Kai Trading Company. We just call it the Gift Shop. Everything from the usual tourist trinkets to very nice mugs and clothing, and even the occasional tiki is available.

If you are still wanting some more, you can return to the Molokai Bar for a Flaming Coffee Grog, or a nice brandy, or very nice scotch, or of course another Rum Barrel.

Now that you have completely taken in what is the majesty of the Mai Kai it is time to say Aloha. The Valet will bring your car around and bid you good night. As you leave, pay attention to the front side of the building facing the street. Waterfalls, torches, and the big Barney West will all be there to stay in your imagination and call you back to the Mai Kai often.

OK, maybe not as good as an actual floor plan, but that is what you are in for.

And as to wandering around with camera in hand, it is normal so no one will look at you strange. At least none of the staff will look at you strange.

If you want, I can send up smoke signals and sound the drums and get the locals to meet you when your in town. The place is lots of fun when your in a group.

Unless, of course, you want to the romantic date night and be alone. That's cool too!

And no, the Mai Kai doesn't pay me every time I write the description of the tour. I wish they did, I would write it more often. I work cheap, will work for booze!

There you go:

The restaurant mainly is only the left part of the floor plan, since the Bangkok room is now the gift shop. It gives you an idea how much "backstage" area is needed to run such a complex operation as a full service Polynesian palace.

To be a little further away from the stage, the elevated Tonga Room is good. For more privacy, not seeing the stage but with some garden views, I recommend the Moorea, Tahiti or even the Samoa room.

You must visit the Molokai bar, too, but make sure they don't have a Surf band playing there that night, THAT is really loud.

S

Sven,
Awesome to see KAM and RFT on that drawing!

If you can get there for Happy Hour, do! 2 for 1 drinks which is literal. (Or was. May be 1/2 price now) That way, you swap drinks on the second round and fully enjoy 2 off the menu. Indulge in the Mstyery Drink if you can. You will never get that opportunity again (until you return again!) and it is a singularly iconic thing to participate in in this world! Takes you right back to 1956 and Don and the works.
If you read this, you probably already have drink suggestions to try. Consider the Zombie. It is not as strong as you have had other places and it is a close link to Don the Beachcomber's original 1934 version that started this whole Tiki fad. And they have been serving it there all along, as it disappeared from every other bar in the world. Try either the Mutiny or the Black Magic. Originals of the Mai-Kai you won't taste anywhere else in any form.

G

Chip, were you meaning Samoa instead of Moorea? Moorea is still more-or-less part of the "show room" and so gets the full on loud show sounds. Tahiti and Samoa (my personal faves) are nice and quiet with just the right level of exotica and Polynesian-tinged music playing as you enjoy your dinner.

P
Philot posted on Thu, Apr 7, 2011 7:36 PM

Wow, I knew TC was a fount of tiki knowledge, but I'm bowled over at getting such comprehensive responses so quickly! Thanks guys!

My in-laws are in Boynton Beach, but it seems every time we get down there, we never get the opportunity to slip away for the evening. Here's hoping to make it sooner than later.

On 2011-04-07 16:16, GatorRob wrote:
Chip, were you meaning Samoa instead of Moorea? Moorea is still more-or-less part of the "show room" and so gets the full on loud show sounds. Tahiti and Samoa (my personal faves) are nice and quiet with just the right level of exotica and Polynesian-tinged music playing as you enjoy your dinner.

Yes, thank you, I meant Samoa and Tahiti.

Moorea has an outrigger canoe hanging from the ceiling and there is a story for the canoe.... Mrs. Thorton (who was not yet Mrs Thorton) sailed the canoe across the lagoon that used to be in front of the Mai Kai during the wedding ceremony where she became Mrs Thorton.

If you do sit in 'the back' for dinner you have to at least walk through Samoa because that is where the Shrunken Heads are!

J
JOHN-O posted on Fri, Apr 8, 2011 9:00 AM

Poof-a-doof !! I signed up for a Southwest Airlines credit card and they sent me vouchers for two 1-way trips. To my surprise they service Ft. Lauderdale (and not Miami ?? !!) from Los Angeles. They expire at the end of the year so 2011 may be the year for my Mai Kai pilgrimage.

Can anyone recommend a cool mid-century motel in the area? A place like the Mercury astronauts might have stayed in route to Cape Canaveral. Does the Sheraton Yankee Clipper have a vintage vibe ??

Muchas Gracias. :)

S
Swanky posted on Fri, Apr 8, 2011 9:00 AM

On 2011-04-08 05:44, Chip and Andy wrote:

On 2011-04-07 16:16, GatorRob wrote:

Yes, thank you, I meant Samoa and Tahiti.

Moorea has an outrigger canoe hanging from the ceiling and there is a story for the canoe.... Mrs. Thorton (who was not yet Mrs Thorton) sailed the canoe across the lagoon that used to be in front of the Mai Kai during the wedding ceremony where she became Mrs Thorton.

If you do sit in 'the back' for dinner you have to at least walk through Samoa because that is where the Shrunken Heads are!

I was told a different story. That canoe was brought back from Tahiti where Robert and Mirielle used it to visit her parents before marraige. All good stories!

On 2011-04-08 09:00, JOHN-O wrote:
Can anyone recommend a cool mid-century motel in the area? A place like the Mercury astronauts might have stayed in route to Cape Canaveral. Does the Sheraton Yankee Clipper have a vintage vibe ??

The Clipper has been remodeled and now has a Nouveau-South-Beach-Modern vibe going, all white with hidden neon and conversation nooks. It's still very pretty, and the Wreck Bar is still a marvel to behold, but overall I can't recommend it as a place to stay unless you are a member of whatever club program the Sheraton uses.

There are lots of fun little mid-mod places in the area, I'll get back to you via PM with some of the better ones. I by better I mean places you might actually be willing to stay in without fearing for your health or safety.

T

Hukilau 2011 at the Mai-Kai Part 1 of 4

To again experience the Mai-Kai is a delight that cannot be conveyed in mere words and photos, though that is all I can now offer of our Hukilau 2011 visit...

Arriving early for Saturday’s Beachbum Berry Rumposium, we wandered around the perimeter a bit.

South of the entry driveway along N. Federal Highway (US Hwy 1)...

On the north side of the entry driveway along the highway is this Mai-Kai building apparently used for storage...

The entry doors to the restaurant...

Patricia, my wife, on the left and Christina (metikigal) on the right...

Somewhat after the 2 pm scheduled starting time, the Rumposium began. Here are the featured rum experts and their host re-enacting a debate in the British House of Commons to abolish the daily rum ration for sailors in the Royal Navy; left to right are Wayne Curtis, Martin Cate, Ian Burrell, Jeff “Beachbum” Berry wearing a wig, and Stephen Remsberg...

Martin Cate’s presentation concluded with a call to join the “Legion of Rum” (leadership pictured here) as part of a Rum Revolution to recognize that “rum is the greatest spirit in the world,” “to defend the honor of rum” and “to fight for rum” (see http://rumrevolution.net)...

Here is our Hukilau organizer Christie (tiki_kiliki) taking up the call to arms, rum beverage in hand...

While the Rumposium was getting organized, the Mai-Kai staff opened up beverage and appetizer service early for the participants. My wife and I each ordered strong drinks, me a Black Magic and she a Zombie. That was perhaps not the best of ideas, as numerous rum cocktail samples were offered throughout the presentations, including a high octane rum punch at the end. However, the Mai-Kai’s excellent PuPu Platter helped stave off the fog of excess for a while. The Black Magic was a huge drink and very high on the tipsy scale. It was also complex and nuanced, and, based on the description and acclaim of others, I expected this to be an instant favorite. But, like JOHN-O (see http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=37580&forum=1&vpost=593528), I found that it didn’t quite work for my palate. The wife and I both really liked her Zombie, though. I’ve yet to try many of the cocktails on the Mai-Kai’s extensive tropical drink menu, so I’m not qualified to enumerate favorites. We were seated with...

Randy and Bessie from Kansas City

Peter and Jeff from California, I think

Jeff from Eugene, Oregon

David and Donna

Christina (metikigal) and Bill from Brevard County, Florida

Sue and Patrick

To be continued...

-Tom

[ Edited by: TikiTomD 2011-06-16 12:50 ]

Hukilau 2011 at the Mai-Kai Part 2 of 4

The Rumposium concluded with very little time remaining before the first dinner show was to be seated. A large crowd had already gathered behind the rope cordon at the service desk, stretching out the doorway. Concerned about getting a good seat for dinner and the show? No problem. If you’re one of the Hukilau organizers or special guests, then Christie (tiki_kiliki) has you a reserved seat at tables arrayed in a U-shape centered in front of the stage. If you’re not, you’re still in luck. The Mai-Kai has an outstanding cadre of service professionals befitting a fine restaurant... just approach the Service Captain or Maitre D’ at the entry with your request, including an offering for the special service to be rendered, and you will be given a time to return. In the meantime, you can enjoy yourself in the Molokai Bar or in the tropical gardens.

Having made dinner arrangements with the Service Captain, we proceeded to the Molokai Bar. It was already choked with people. Three very fine gentlemen from California -- JOHN-O, Caltiki Brent (congawa) and Molokai Mike -- graciously made room at their table for Pat and me to join them in the short interval before dinner. Life was good, and the puffer fish lamp beamed its approval...

After a very short interval, it was time to make our way back to the Service Captain for dinner show seating. We were led to a table in the New Guinea Room, to the left of the stage and Hukilau reserved seating, across the aisle from Martin Cate, and in a great position to view the show...

Already sauced a bit from the earlier Black Magic and Rumposium cocktail samples, I prudently chose a medium-strength tropical drink, the Mara-Amu (and you get to keep the mug). It was good. I looked around still empty tables and noticed that I was being observed...

A pleasant gentleman walking down the aisle greeted us; it was Ron Licudine, son of the original Mai-Kai master mixologist, Mariano Licudine. Here’s a great little article about the Mai-Kai, Ron and his Dad (with several drink recipes)... http://www.winemag.com/Wine-Enthusiast-Magazine/Web-2010/The-Call-of-the-Mai-Kai-Tales-from-South-Florida-rsquos-South-Pacific/. He posed with my wife for a photo...

Soon, the adjacent tables began to fill up. Several tables away, I spied George Jenkins (TikiHardBop), the Florida Space Coast’s own master mixologist, with his wife, Chris (TornadoTiki). After they had graciously hosted us in a pre-Hukilau party at their home tiki bar, The Storm Shelter, it was my turn to pick up the drink tab. George ordered a Mai-Tai (strong) and Chris ordered a Cobra Kiss (medium strength).

Chris (TornadoTiki) and George (TikiHardBop) at the front of the photo

A gong sounded at a nearby table, signaling the arrival of a Mystery Drink delivered by the Mystery Girl. Here the lucky recipient is getting lei’d by the Mystery Girl...

For dinner, the wife and I both ordered the Prime Rib special with garlic mashed potatoes and wasabi sauce. It was a superb choice. We finished off dinner with a couple of Kona Coffee Grogs, set ablaze next to our table, a show in and of itself. It was a fine choice for a dessert drink. The stage started to come alive, first with King Kukulele (Denny Moynahan)...

Tiki_kiliki then made a number of presentations honoring key Hukilau contributors. Here’s Mireille Thornton of the Mai-Kai, who developed and managed the Mai-Kai Polynesian show...

The Mai-Kai Polynesian show, authentic and always great fun to watch, seemed, if possible, even better since our last visit...

By the time the first dinner show had concluded, the folks for the second dinner show were clamoring for seating. It was time to go seek out the Tikiyaki Orchestra performance in the Tahiti Room. The band had gathered in the gardens for a quick photo shoot...

We ran into a choke point trying to get into the Tahiti Room where band was set to play (phinz separately noted that the adjacent Samoa Room had available seating, but we regretfully overlooked that and gave up too easily).

Saturday’s Hukilau encounter at the Mai-Kai displayed offscale high on every active parameter of my tiki meter: atmosphere, drink quality, drink presentation, service, food, entertainment, historical setting and overall experience. And there was yet more to come on Sunday...

To be continued...

-Tom

[ Edited by: TikiTomD 2011-06-16 12:49 ]

On 2011-04-08 10:10, Chip and Andy wrote:

On 2011-04-08 09:00, JOHN-O wrote:

The Clipper has been remodeled and now has a Nouveau-South-Beach-Modern vibe going, all white with hidden neon and conversation nooks. It's still very pretty, and the Wreck Bar is still a marvel to behold, but overall I can't recommend it as a place to stay unless you are a member of whatever club program the Sheraton uses.

There are lots of fun little mid-mod places in the area, I'll get back to you via PM with some of the better ones. I by better I mean places you might actually be willing to stay in without fearing for your health or safety.

i would recommend the blarney castle - once you get past the old-country kitsch in the registration area, the open foyer around the swimming pool is pure midcentury cool. http://travel.yahoo.com/p-hotel-12304073-blarney_castle_motel-i

W

Thanks for the pictures Tiki Tom!

Chris

T

Chris (WestADad), glad you’re enjoying the photos.

Hukilau 2011 at the Mai-Kai Part 3 of 4

Sunday brought the promise of Mai-Kai treasures to be revealed from the archives. When we arrived at the Mai-Kai around 1:30 pm, Caltiki Brent was already there on the bench outside surrounded by his travel bags. He intended to stay as long as he could before departing for a late afternoon flight back to California. His pleasant company made the time pass quickly. Soon, the doors to our tiki palace opened, admitting us to either the Molokai Bar, or to Mai-Kai scrap books, photos and displays set up on tables in front of the stage. We immediately vectored left into the Molokai Bar, having had precious little time to enjoy its tiki-nautical setting, conveying a sense that one might be inside a wooden sailing vessel of yore...

This looks like one of the recast tikis from AlohaStation’s thread (http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=26630&forum=1&vpost=488324)...

A later photo after the torches were lit...

The Mai-Kai treated us royally, opening up the bar early for cocktails and appetizers. The service staff was really tired, many having stayed as late as 4 am Sunday morning from the Hukilau main event of Saturday night, but they remained cordial and attentive as ever.

I noticed that a bevy of lovely Molokai Maidens tended to cluster at my end of the bar, to my delighted surprise. Being an engineer, it came as no blow to my ego when my wife later told me that there was a heater located below the bar at my station. Without many bodies yet in the bar, it was quite cool and the ladies in their scant attire were merely trying to stay warm. It wasn’t at all obvious, but one of the ladies had confided this to my wife while I was on break. I have committed the location to memory for future use. Here are those beautiful young Molokai Maidens...

For cocktail starters, my wife again ordered a Zombie (strong), her favorite Mai-Kai drink. It’s certainly one of mine, as well. I tried the Mai-Kai’s Mai-Tai (strong), a lovely presentation with a nice flavor...

For an appetizer, we shared the Javanesian Beef. It was delicious, one I’d highly recommend. Some of our Hukilau friends and acquaintances were by now also enjoying the ambrosia of the Molokai, among them...

Caltiki Brent (congawa)

Christina (metikigal) and Bill

Mike Jones

To be continued...

-Tom

[ Edited by: TikiTomD 2011-06-16 12:48 ]

Hukilau 2011 at the Mai-Kai Part 4 of 4

In the interest of urban archaeology, I forced myself away from drink, food and the lovely Molokai Maidens (only for a while) and made my way over to the Mai-Kai memorabilia display...

Pia Dahlquist, Mai-Kai’s Sales and Marketing Director, assembled and patiently hosted the displays. She kindly posed for this photo last Friday at the Bahia Mar Commodore Ballroom...

Kern Mattei, Mai-Kai’s General Manager, took time out to greet his Sunday Hukilau guests...

Ron Licudine, son of the original Mai-Kai master mixologist, Mariano Licudine, was there to talk about his Dad and their life experiences. Here Ron posed after signing my Hukilau poster...

Ron inscribed “Dad would be so proud” on the poster, so I asked him to explain why. Two reasons: (1) the Mai-Kai’s faithful adherence to his Dad’s original drink recipes to this very day, and (2) the presence of so many Hukilau participants supportive and appreciative of the Mai-Kai and all that it represents.

From the archives, here’s Mariano Licudine pouring Derby Daiquiris, a drink that he invented (pardon the photo angularity necessary to avoid camera flash)...

Here’s a closeup photo of the special glassware designed for the Derby Daiquiri; Ron explained that the Mai-Kai eventually gave up serving in these, as the stems kept breaking off at the jockey’s head...

More recognition of Ron’s Dad for the Derby Daiquiri...

Mariano Licudine was present when the Mai-Kai opened in December 1956 and retired in 1979. He passed away the following year, in 1980.

After enough archaeology, Ron and I returned to the Molokai Bar to toast his Dad with a couple of Derby Daiquiris, joined in the toast by Martin Cate. The Derby Daiquiri is a mild drink, but one I really like. Ron approved the flavor profile as true to the original, observing only that the ice in the drinks we were served was blended a bit finer than his Dad prescribed.

As the afternoon waned, Patrick Kenneson, the stalwart Mai-Kai Service Captain who had faced without flinching overwhelming Hukilau hordes at dinner show time, took me aside for a special tour of the private employee lounge. There we were joined by Angel Vega, the Mai-Kai's Maitre D’, who has worked at the Mai-Kai since 1965 (Angel on the left, Patrick on the right)...

Patrick’s association with the Mai-Kai goes back to his youth, when he played on the championship-winning Mai-Kai softball team (see Patrick, the “wild-man” standing on second row, extreme left)...

Here’s evidence of Patrick’s golf prowess (bottom plaque, top of 1982 winner list)...

Centered on a wall in the employee’s lounge was this memorial plaque dedicated by the Mai-Kai employees to Bob Thornton, original owner of the Mai-Kai along with his brother, Jack...

This dinner menu from long ago was framed and posted nearby (photo angled to avoid camera flash)...

On Sunday I didn’t see one individual, Tricia Cline, the Mai-Kai’s Gift Shop Manager, but had met her at the Mai-Kai Tiki Treasure Bazaar booth in the Bahia Mar Commodore Ballroom...

If I correctly recall, Tricia has grandchildren participating in the Mai-Kai’s Polynesian show.

I’m very grateful to Hukilau for the opportunity to have met and mingled with the Mai-Kai staff. Among them you get a powerful sense of ‘ohana. I salute them for keeping alive an exceedingly rare time tunnel into our tiki past.

I read JOHN-O’s concluding thoughts on the Mai-Kai experience and thought them particularly eloquent... http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=37580&forum=1&vpost=593859

JOHN-O (on the right), along with Caltiki Brent, in the Bahia Mar Commodore Ballroom

-Tom

S

Slight correction. Angel started at the MAi-Kai in 1963 I think.

Tim (Swanky), thank you for keeping it accurate. I was working without field notes and, as you well know, when the Molokai Bar is open, conditions are perfect for corrupting a few memory cells... :wink:

Please sign me up for the next Swanky (drunken or not) walking history tour of the Mai-Kai. I really like your idea of including that as an event for the next Hukilau.

If you’re from out of the area and looking for a place to stay as a base for excursions to the Mai-Kai when it’s not Hukilau, I’d recommend you consider Lauderdale-by-the-Sea. It is at the ocean end of E. Commercial Boulevard, about three miles and five to seven minutes from the Mai-Kai. There’s a beautiful beach, fishing pier, shops and some great moderately-priced restaurants within easy walking distance (one to two blocks) of accommodations. There are also a number of smaller inns to choose from...

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g34381-c2-Lauderdale_by_the_Sea_Florida-Hotels.html

We had intended to stay an extra night at the Bahia Mar after Hukilau, but were informed by the front desk Sunday morning that we would have to vacate our room in the Marina building and wait for a room to be cleaned in the Tower building, as the Marina building was being closed that day for renovations. Hanging around for an indeterminate time to move to another room within the Bahia Mar was not in our Sunday plans, especially since the extra night was part of our original room reservation. No one bothered to tell us of this at check-in; else we could have chosen the Tower building initially. So, we checked out of Bahia Mar and headed up the coastal road.

In a very short while, we found a great little old-Florida style motor inn, Courtyard Villa, at Lauderdale-by-the-Sea. One night in an ocean-front efficiency cost the same as our Bahia Mar marina view room (if you include the cost of parking at the Bahia Mar). The place was charming. The room was small, air conditioning worked great and the bed was quite comfortable. My one regret was the inn’s Wi-Fi coverage didn’t extend to my room. It had a pool-sized spa and splendid beach patio area with grill. Though we loved it and it was a perfect base for the Mai-Kai, there are some more highly-reviewed places nearby that are listed in the web link above.

We tried these eating places out and found the food to be good to very good: Diner-by-the-Sea for breakfast, Keese’s (American-Mediterranean food) for lunch and The Village Grille for dinner (if you’re not doing dinner at the Mai-Kai), all an easy walk from the inn.

-Tom

J
JonPez posted on Mon, Aug 1, 2011 2:39 PM

Nothing fancy, but I found this description of the Mai-Kai in a 1967 National Airlines tourist magazine, in the "Things to See & Do" section:

In honor of The Mai-Kai's 55th anniversary tonight, we've posted a special behind the scenes tour:

http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2011/12/28/behind-the-magic-a-backstage-tour-of-the-mai-kais-mysterious-bars-and-kitchen/

And we're more than halfway through our weekly reviews of Mai-Kai cocktails, so be sure to check out the photos, tasting notes and recipes:

http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/mai-kai-cocktail-guide/

Okole maluna!

MH

Had my second Mai-Kai experience last night - one of the advantages of living in Miami the last few years... always a great time from the bar to the dinner and the show. Truly amazing (and comforting) to think that after 55+ years they are selling out on a regular basis. The staff / service was excellent and the food was great. A few zombies and a stroll through the gardens and all was right with the world... :)

T

Matt, I had my third Mai Kai visit last Thursday. Awesome as always, and this time I dragged the other half with me. We had the Mai Tais, beef skewer things, and steamed fish and curry chicken. Actually the food was even better than I remember from the last visit. The floor show is always fun and I spent extra time wandering through the gardens and waterfalls afterwards. Here's a picture of us feeling very tiki-rific. Oh, everybody- check out the Mai Kai shirts in the gift shop- the woman at the register said they only have so many of them because they are running out of fabric to make them. I'll post a picture but I think they're a must for TC-ers, as the print has "Mai Kai" in there along with the traditional Tiki designs.

T

Here are some great Mai-Kai ads by artist/illustrator/designer Al Kocab from the early 1960s...

Fort Lauderdale News November 11, 1960

Gold Coast Sun Spots April 23, 1961

Fort Lauderdale News December 7, 1962

-Tom

Ha, that "dish" joke is classic! Thanks, Tom.

T

Here is a vintage photo of the Mai-Kai under construction, scanned from an original loaned to me by Toti Terorotua...

I haven't yet attempted any restoration of this, except for fade correction.

-Tom

That is indeed "vintage". I like it just like it is :)

Nice find!

T

Here’s Toti, the driver, with Pasefika standing alongside the Mai-Kai mobile. Photo courtesy of Toti Terorotua…

-Tom

T

Photo of Mariano Licudine, Mai-Kai master mixologist, from a vintage entertainment weekly...

Gold Coast Sun Spots April 23-29, 1961

-Tom

T

Featured in the same vintage entertainment weekly as above is one of the saronged Mai-Kai serving girls in a bikini...

-Tom

T

For those who noticed the "U.S. OBSERVER" symbol in the photo above and were the least bit curious of its significance, I offer this...

-Tom

Sign me up now!

Great find, Tom. Now we gotta find more stuff on this, love the logo!

T

Nice postcard!

Mai Kai Entrance Fort Lauderdale FL by hmdavid, on Flickr

The local paper did a video about the Mai Kai. It's not mentioned in the video, but it was his first visit:

http://www.floridatoday.com/VideoNetwork/2285544574001/Polynesian-paradise-just-a-short-drive-away

T

Here's an Al Kocab-drawn ad for the Mai-Kai, appearing in the Fort Lauderdale News circa 1963...

Swanky observes that the Fiji Room no longer exists as such.

-Tom

Mai-Kai announcement list subscribers should find a Thanksgiving greeting from Pia at the Mai-Kai along with this announcement:

*"We are very happy to announce that as of yesterday November 25: MAI-KAI BECOMES THE FIRST PROPERTY TO RECEIVE HISTORIC DESIGNATION IN THE CITY OF OAKLAND PARK!

This is a true honor as the history and architectural character of the Mai-Kai are officially recognized as significant by the City. Thanks to the City and Historic Preservation Board for this honor!"*

Congrats and best wishes to the Mai-Kai staff, managers, and owners! I hope this designation will open new doors and make many exciting things possible in the future as we all continue to work hard for, and to enjoy, the preservation of this wonderful tiki palace.

Finally - a historic landmark which serves cocktails. I'm celebrating!

If anyone is interested in reading the application...

http://www.oaklandparkfl.org/citygovernment/cityboards/documents/AgendaBack-upHistoricPreservationBoard11.25.2013.pdf

It is a PDF and is a slow loader so fair warning.

And the next time you meet Mr Christopher Gratz please buy him a cocktail and say thanks for carrying this before the Oakland Park Historic Preservation Board.

F

That's fantastic and well befitting that establishment!

That is quite an honor. Its great to see this temple recognized and appreciated.

I don't think I've seen this ad posted on TC, at least not on this thread. From Pia Dahlquist, The Mai-Kai's marketing manager, it's from the 1956 grand opening ...

Also from Pia, details on the 57th anniversary Customer Celebration Party ...

WE INVITE YOU TO JOIN US ON SATURDAY DECEMBER 28 FROM 1:30 - 4 PM
FOR OUR CUSTOMER CELEBRATION PARTY
IN RECOGNITION OF MAI-KAI'S 57th ANNIVERSARY!
And we have much to celebrate!

On this day 50 years ago a young man by the name of ANGEL VEGA started to work at the Mai-Kai. Angels first position was as a busboy but later worked his way to become our Maitre' D, a position he held for many years. Today Angel is semi retired and oversees the Molokai Bar 3 - 4 nights a week. Please join us to congratulate Angel in person on this momentous day!

Although Angel might be the longest employed there are 11 employees that's been here 20-29 years, 3 between 32 - 39 and 2 for 47 - 49 years! That is dedication!

At 2 pm there will be a showing and presentation of the spirited, colorful documentary "Plastic Paradise: A Swingin' Trip Through America's Polynesian Obsession" This hour long documentary was mostly filmed here at the Mai-Kai and around The Hukilau some years ago. It premiered on WLRN in Florida in September and is now shown nationwide. We are honored to be joined by Gaspar Gonzales from Common Machine - the Producer of the documentary.

For those of you that did not hear the great news: As of Monday November 25, 2013 Mai-Kai became the first property to receive HISTORIC DESIGNATION in the City of Oakland Park!

So there is much to celebrate. We hope to see you here this afternoon. Without your loyal support throughout the years this could not have happened!

Happy Hour prices in the Molokai Bar from 1:30 p.m. - 7 p.m.

Check out my blog for more details on this and also events on the 27th (featuring The Novarays from Orlando) and New Year's Eve ...
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2013/12/21/the-mai-kai-now-officially-historic-celebrates-its-57th-anniversary-with-style-and-special-events/

And here's story and interview with Angel from the 2010 Hukilau program ...
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/angel-hukilau-story.jpg
What a career!

Very Nice! These are the times I wish i'd live on the other coast! :)

Some highlights of last weekend's festivities:

The Novarays rocked a packed Molokai bar on Friday night, and I got a sneak peak of the prototype for the new 2014 cocktail menu, the first total redesign in decades:

I'll be posting a full preview of the new menu on The Atomic Grog and will share some more images here.

On Saturday, the bar was nearly full at 1:30 p.m. for an early happy hour and some very special events. We adjourned to the dining room, where Angel Vega was honored for his 50 years of service:

After thanking The Mai-Kai staff and his wife, Angel said: "I believe that we have the best customers in the world, and that's what keeps me working. One customer asked me: 'Are you going to go for a few more years?' And I said I feel like Tom Brady when he won the Super Bowl. Let's go for 10 and take if from there."

Pia Dahlquist then spoke about the recent historic designation by the city of Oakland Park, adding: "Next, we are going to the state, and we are going for national recognition. When we get there, we're having a big party." She then showed off the new drink menu, which should be ready within a couple weeks. Afterwards, we were able to compare it to the original 1956 menu:

Gaspar Gonzalez of Common Machine then took the stage to introduce his film, "Plastic Paradise: A Swingin’ Trip Through America’s Polynesian Obsession," which has been appearing on PBS stations across the country since September. Of the 30 interviews in the film, about 20 were shot at The Mai-Kai, he said. The film will premiere on KCET in Los Angeles in prime time on Jan. 28, he said, and hopefully air in March or April in New York.

The film got a very respectful response, but the crowd broke out in laughter at several points when the late Ron Licudine, son of original Mai-Kai mixologist Mariano Licudine, shared stories from The Mai-Kai's early days. He talked about how the drink the Impatient Virgin was inspired by a family member ("cousin Virginia in the Philippines") and marveled at the popularity of his dad's drinks ("that's a lot of drinking, that's a lot of rum").

In honor of Ron and Mariano, we kept the tradition alive as the party continued well into the evening:

GK

The civic historic site designation is of HUGE benefit to the future of the Mai Kai, even more so than state or national designation. In short, their ordinances now prevent the inappropriate alteration or, worse, demolition of the site without review by the historic review committee. Kudos to the current owners for doing this and helping to ensure the legacy of the Mai Kai for future generations.

GK

GK

The civic historic site designation is of HUGE benefit to the future of the Mai Kai, even more so than state or national designation. In short, their ordinances now prevent the inappropriate alteration or, worse, demolition of the site without review by the historic review committee. Kudos to the current owners for doing this and helping to ensure the legacy of the Mai Kai for future generations.

GK

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 509 replies