Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

tiki on buffy

Pages: 1 16 replies

in the beginning of season 4 (the first episode of the season?) buffy et al go to a university party that's luau-themed w/ massive tikis everywhere, lei, fruity drinks etc.

in one of the last episodes of buffy season 6 (i think it's the episode titled "Seeing Red") buffy goes to visit her distraught friend xander at his apartment. xander has beer bottles, glasses, dirty plates all over the place & . . . a couple of tiki mugs!

in the last episode of season 6, "grave", spike the vampire travels to africa to seek out some sort of god/demon/monster. the monster lives in a cave much like the one where vincent price's character hung out in the brady bunch hawaii episodes. the god/demon/monster looks w/ glowing eyes, etc. looks a lot like a tiki come alive. creepy, bad ass & cool.

sharing my other geeky interests,
tiki chris

W

I can't believe I missed that Tiki party episode or the mugs in Xander's place. These sightings add proof to my theory that Tiki shows up on TV and film because there are many set designers/dressers who like Tiki and try to slip it in wherever they can.

On 2002-09-10 09:09, woofmutt wrote:
...Tiki party episode or the mugs in Xander's place...there are many set designers/dressers who like Tiki and try to slip it in wherever they can.

the tiki-laden luau was a pretty obvious one...i think it was the episode where warren's femme-bot shows up (oh wait was that the 5th season? - i'll ask my wife, THE buffy expert, who is probably posting away on the new york times buffy forum at this moment).

the xander apartment mugs were a little more subtley placed - only the backs of a couple of headhunter(?) mugs. on the walls of xander's apartment were some witco-y looking wood carvings too. i don't think they were witco but looked like they could have been witco-inspired (to me anyway).

[ Edited by: Tiki Chris on 2002-09-10 10:01 ]

Members of the Church of the Subgenius try to sneak pictures of JR 'Bob' Dobbs into the media whenever they can, too.

Here's an example of the Subgenius/Tiki crossover:

Back to Buffy - check out the Breeder's version of the Buffy theme on their 'Son of 3' single...out now!

Trader Woody

Did anyone spot the big ol' tiki on the sidewalk when Buffy was following Spike through the crowd? It was a blink-and-you'll-miss-it kind of thing, but it was a honkin' big tiki. They must have a tikiphile in the set decoration department.

in the all musical "once more w/ feeling" episode, spike made a reference to yma sumac.

On 2002-11-20 00:48, Humuhumu wrote:
Did anyone spot the big ol' tiki on the sidewalk when Buffy was following Spike through the crowd?

was this a new episode? i haven't seen any of the new season - don't have access to the right channel here in london.

H

On 2002-11-20 01:19, Tiki Chris wrote:
was this a new episode? i haven't seen any of the new season - don't have access to the right channel here in london.

Yeah, sorry, tonight's new episode, "Sleeper."

On 2002-11-20 01:34, Humuhumu wrote:

Yeah, sorry, tonight's new episode, "Sleeper."

i love it when i'm just getting up in the morning (it's around 9 a.m. here) & folks on the west coast are just winding down their nights. good night/morning tiki central!

i can't wait to see the new season of buffy. my wife is an avid buffy-phile. her mom back in the u.s. is taping the shows for us.

another (not quite as) tiki buffy moment was when spike had to wear one of xander's aloha shirts.

btw, i think there's a tiki/hawaiiana fan working on that show too b/c, over the years, xander has worn some of the coolest aloha shirts!

S

The sun never sets on Tiki Central...

On 2002-11-20 00:48, Humuhumu wrote:
Did anyone spot the big ol' tiki on the sidewalk when Buffy was following Spike through the crowd? It was a blink-and-you'll-miss-it kind of thing, but it was a honkin' big tiki. They must have a tikiphile in the set decoration department.

Oh man! I thought I was the only one... My wife about smacked me when I yelled out, "Look - a Tiki !!!!"

Hey there peoples... There was an earlier post about tikis on tv that I responded to about Zander's tiki bar in the opera episode... I guess the tiki bar pops up alot according to this posting...

Saw it again two episodes ago... bamboo bar I think and Zander's tiki mugs are on the wall behind the bar on surfboards that are hung to act as shelves, looks like a lot of tiki mugs... I'll have to start taping the episodes soon if tikis keep popping up, although my sweets has asked for the Buffy dvd collection...

Any recent episodes of Buffy after Zander moved out of his parent's basement should have the tiki bar in them...

I must have missed this thread when it came out but - I recently watched episode "Revelations" on Season 3 and when the evil Watcher knocked Giles in the head with an ethnic-looking figure in his office, I ran it through slo mo (DVD) and I'll be damned if it wasn't an Easter Island carving!

H
hewey posted on Wed, May 18, 2005 6:22 PM

I'll get my chicky babe to look at this - she can almost quote the bloody thing word for word! Yeh, Ive seen tiki in it here and there.

Yes, I am the buffy trivia extraordinaire!

I never really paid any attention to anything tiki related until my boy got into it. then i started to notice it all. I figured if that's the only way to get him into buffy, it'll do.

H
hewey posted on Thu, May 19, 2005 8:41 AM

I told her there was a topic about Buffy on here. I figured if that's the only way to get her into TC, it'll do! :)

A

Hey, the episode with the Bufster visiting Xander has just been shown again in the UK, we can confirm the tiki mug sightings!

Pages: 1 16 replies