Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

NYC --Kahiki Tribute, 9.1.04

Pages: 1 19 replies

MC

Would anyone in the NYC like to hang out with me at:

Marion's - NYC
September 1, 2004
In the spirit of Marion's beloved "Kahiki", for one night only our grass skirts will be a shakin' and the pu pu platters a flamin'. Don't miss Marion's bikini beach
party/Kahiki celebration!
354 Bowery @ E.4th
212.475.1975 for reservations
8:30pm

The Pontani Sisters are dancing and they are amazing. http://www.pontanisisters.com.

Let me know!
Manic Cat

MC

Now that Inky Louise is living in Las Vegas, I would to meet the newest TCers. Come out and have a good time!
MC

S

Aloha Manic!

It's been a while! Unfortunately, I always miss this event but I will be coming back to NYC in a few weeks. I'll drop you a line when I finalize my plans.

Mondays at Otto's! Woo hoo!

I'm new to TC, but I live in NYC and would love to see the show and meet fellow tiki lovers from this forum.

Hi Urban Tiki!
Let's plan on meeting up at the show/restaurant and on the day of, letting each other know what we are wearing. Once we get a final headcount, I can make a reservation, and worst comes to worst if we don't see each other at the bar, we will be seated together at our table!
MC

Hawaii Kai Guy,
are you coming to this? sorry if I am getting you confused with another TC member, alan sumac??. once we meet in person, it'll be all clear!!
Manic cat

On 2004-08-29 12:38, manic cat wrote:
Hawaii Kai Guy,
are you coming to this? sorry if I am getting you confused with another TC member, alan sumac??. once we meet in person, it'll be all clear!!
Manic cat

Sounds like a plan

MC

I'll try to make a table reservation. Sometimes Marion's fills up.
So it looks like, UrbanTiki, Hawaii Kai Guy and Manic Cat. My kane, Shalom Aloha, will be working until 10pm ;maybe he'll come by afterwards. so, it's 1-2 persons for me. How about for everyone else?

My better half is visiting her parents, so I'll be solo.

I will be attending solo on Wednesday evening.

This sounds like a fun event, thanks for arranging it.

I'll be the guy wearing a highly coveted Tiki shirt. You'll know it when you see it, lol!

Hawaii Kai Guy

MC

It looks like Shalom Aloha will be attending as well. So far the count is 4 Tiki Centralites. The show starts at 8:30. Let's say that we meet up at the bar, 8 ish. This way there's a buffer of time. I'll be wearing the pink muu-muu!
Manic Cat

MC

Anyone else interested in joining us?--it's not too late!

MC

I just called marion's to make the reservation. It doesn't sound so much Kahiki/Tiki as much as their new "Beach Party" theme. hum, that's a bummer. But you get a free drink if you wear a bikini! I'm up for still going despite the low tiki factor because the pontanis are still dancing their hula. Waikiki Wally's is only a short walk away if we decide that Marion's isn't enough tiki. How's that sound?
mc

Thanks for the updated information, but I think I'm going to pass....

I was at Waikiki Wally's recently, I was truly hoping Marion's was going to be the Tiki theme...that's my scene.

Sorry for the cancellation, but hope those who go have a great time.

Hawaii Kai Guy

UT

I'm still in. You're right, Waikiki Wally's is close by if it's lame. Plus, I'm sure tiki drinks can be had at Marion's

MC

HKG--that's cool. Nothing is worse than NOT getting tiki when you were expecting it. Maybe you can make it out to Otto's on Sept. 20 when Uncle Art (stentiki) visits. He's the greatest so-Cal guy ever! There's a thread for this out there.

UT--a bar trooper like myself. So, Shalom Aloha and I will meet you tonight at Marion's? We are regulars at Wally's--so let us introduce you to the crew afterwards. It has it's lame points, I agree, but once you are friends with the staff, it's a load of fun! p.s do you like Kareoke?

MC

I am actually quite fond of Waikiki Wally's even wothout knowing the staff (though everyone who works there is very nice)- I'll take my tiki wherever I can get it. Although I think the drinks are better at Otto's.

I will be wearing a light blue/green tropical print shirt (not sure it would really classify as a hawaiian shirt- too muted) and beige slacks. And I'm somewhat uhhh, folically challenged.

MC

I will be pink muu-muu-ally challanged. see you a bit after 8!

MC

UrbanTiki,
what a fun time! Really glad to meet you! Did you stay and watch alot of Kareoke at Lucky Cheng's? Did you sing?

Marion's update: well, sadly, it looks like the Kahiki Tribute at Marion's Continental is a thing of the past. They are now hosting a lovely "Beach Bikini Party"--complete with pretty white patio umbrellas and white chinesesque laterns--but not a tiki in sight. No more thatched roofed huts. No tiki lights. No exotica decor. No tiki drinks. But there are some remnants of the Kahiki Tribute yesteryear: pu-pu platter (delicious! especially the coconut shrimp), roasted pig (I should have tried it!!), a few tiki mugs behind the bar and (fireless) Volcano Bowls, and the Pontani Sisters' burlesque hula. Marion's is still a great summertime treat, but as for its tiki groove--maybe it will return next year when the Republicans do not.

MC

UT

Manic Cat- great to meet you and Shalom Aloha- I had a great time, despite the relatively tikiless environ. I stayed a little while longer at Lucky's but, mercifully, I did not sing. I hope to see you both at the Otto's gathering later in the month.

Pages: 1 19 replies