Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Tiki Finds

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 11,539 replies

Way to go Paipo!
That's amazing to find a pair of Tiki Bobs all the way down in NZ. That Moai is very nice too, the large ones like that are impressive.
Aloha,
:tiki:

Not exactly tiki finds, but here are a few things that will definitely go in my future tiki bar:

Nautical lamp decanter. Now the question is...should I actually fill it with liquor?

A nice 6 foot x 5 foot piece of Lauhala matting. I have since removed the (Mexican styled?) yarn. It looks much better now. It was pretty cheap compared to what I've seen lauhala go for on the interweb. I always felt that lauhala was the one thing I would have to "just buy" for the retail price. I'll probably still need to get some that way, just not as much now. So Hooray!

Today was a great day! Goodwill Rules!

the shot glasses are from the Hawaii Kai and Tiki Gardens, Indian Rocks Beach Fl

Nautical lamp decanter. Now the question is...should I actually fill it with liquor?

Aye, I say! Fill'er up and drain'er dry... then be doin' it 'gain!
Aloha,

Wow Sput....very nice finds. Nothing good at my "Good"will.....sigh. :(

TT

hey all.. just a few scores from the last few weeks..

The crab is ceramic and feels like it may be japanese made.. it was $2..
The Maori boat was $4 and scored it today, Stuff from New Zealand is quite common here in Oz because of the close proximity and large population of new zealanders (kiwis) here..

I picked up the barrel from the road side last week!!!

The Island was 2 bucks (pretty cheap real-estate!) and the palm leaves are green feathers!!!

Cheers..
Tiki Trav

My Mom's best friend's husband died a few years ago, he was an artist, a cobbler, shoemaker and leather craftsman. (He made John Wayne's boots up until he died). My Mom's friend asked me to come over and help her go through some of his belongings as her kids didn't want them and she was just starting to warm up to the idea of letting go of some of his stuff. There were stacks and stacks of leather craft pattern books, templates, tools and leather scraps. One book particularly caught my eye, it was a Tandy catalog from the 1950's

It reads:
TRADE WINDS, the answer to your demands for high fashion smartness with saddlebag utility. Acclaimed by leading fashion magazines. Beautiful, compact and wonderfully functional TRADE WINDS holds almost as much as a small over night bag...

Only $9.95! I checked the Tandy web site to see if this style of purse kit was still available, they're not. It would've been cool to try to replicate the design... maybe on a different style. My leather work is really rusty to pull that off!

Found the book last week, everything else this weekend

Vintage Hawaiian ashtray

To me it is a great week if I find a coco joes in the wild. This is a good week. This is a vintage piece too, to top it off.

Crappy KC quality mug, but it has a tiki on it. Dirt too, so it's vintage!

I also picked up another set of tiki fork/spoons, but we've seen those before. They are vintage, however.

Buzzy Out!

I've picked these wooden placques up on e-Bay over the past few months. They weren't a set, I purchased them individually.

I don't know much about them. There are no markings on them. They are not cast but are real wood and presumably hand carved.

I'm guessing from the dress and the banana trees that these may be Central American and not Polynesian Pop. These placques are going to figure into the newest redesign of my 'Tiki' lounge. While the majority of my lounge and my collection adheres to the strict definition of 'Tiki' and Polynesian Pop I do have some primitive stuff from Central America. Is that a sin or taboo as far as Tiki goes? My wife is half Costa Rican and is on her way to San Jose, Costa Rica tomorrow for 2 weeks. Hopefully she'll bring me back some tasty stuff for the lounge. If anyone is interested I'll show off some of my Costa Rican stuff (I just don't want to offend the purists).

This was an extremely painful and slow week in my world of searching and collecting!

If it wasn't for my trip to Swanbergs on Friday, this week would have been a major bust!

Medium sized set of Westwood Tiki mugs (my second set)!

Beautiful blue Fishermans Wharf Kewalo Basin Honolulu Hawaii Seahorse Mug by Louis B Ceramics!

Mermaid soapdish;

For obvious reasons!

Tiki Farm? Pink Surfer Girl mug!

To round out the weekend, a top to replace one of the chipped Islander pineapple mugs I have!

Watch out Chicago, I am on my way!

Psycho Tiki D (I know I am and when all else fails, go to Swanbergs)!

Haven't had much time to look lately. But went to the flea market and picked up the following:

Bali Hai S&P shakers... I've been wanting these for a long while. The pepper has a chipped lip, and the salt has an OMC sticker and still holds salt! I happened to stroll next to a guy at the booth, and saw him holding the shakers. He asked the vendor how much he wanted for the pair, and the vendor said $5.00. I almost had a heart attack, beads of sweat forming on the brow, and chanting in my mind "put them down, put them down..." The guy mulled them over a bit longer (probably pondering the chipped lip), then put them down. I practically jumped for them and took the lads home.

Got a lot of 2 Ku mugs and 1 3-faced bucket mug from the Kono Hawaii. If anybody wants to trade, just let me know!

One thing I learned this past week is that February is not the time to go looking for Tiki in Chicago. I did have a little luck though...

I purchased these four mugs at the Tiki Terrace on Saturday night.

United Airlines Hawaiian Mainliner Flight Information booklet and inside.

Ale Ale Kai Breakfast Menu from the Hawaiian Village Hotel Waikiki.

Four Kona Kai swizzle sticks.

Steel Primo Beer can.

Beautiful copper Tiki lamp, origin unknown.

This is what I was able to find on Friday and part of Saturday. Thanks to my Dad for hauling me around!

Psycho Tiki D (I know I am and now Chicago knows)!

nice finds.... the table lamp is actually one of the old ones they used to have on the tables at hala kahiki.....different shade though.....i know they were sold through some supplier back in the sixties but the owners husband built most of the interior of hala kahiki and also rigged up some of the lamps to run on battery power and some on oil lamp power....looks like it's in good shape.....see, you got a nice souvenier of hala kahiki and didn't even know it!!

by the way, the shade you have on it now was probably the one it came with from the company that produced them.

[ Edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2007-02-26 21:51 ]

I

This is a bit bizarre. I have owned a version of the same mermaid soapdish for some years, but thanks to the above post by Psyco Tiki D, I learned that mine has evidently been captured and sanitized by missionaries.

Someone has painted a swimsuit over the bare breasts - and they have also painted open eyeballs onto the formerly closed eyelids. I thought mine was kind of neat when I saw and bought it, but now I learn that the native format is much more seductive and dreamy.

Damn missionaries!

Vern

HOK

I got one from a garage sale....
Aloha, Freddie

Nice scores everyone!.

A few more finds this weekend, lots of Harvey's

I think this must be a cigarette box/ashtray. The figure is the lid and the two astrays are removeable

Vintage oil on velvet by Agulto

Hey everybody...nice finds recently posted and thanks for sharing!

Here is this week's finds:

Harvey's green "Sneaky Tiki" Harvey's Hula Girl Bowl and R-71 mug made in Japan.

![](https://tikicentral.com/uploads/5795/45eb6324.jpg[/img
[img]https://tikicentral.com/uploads/5795/45eb634f.jpg)

Ceramic Masks marked as "Souvenior of the Coral Reef", Made in Japan. I never knew the Coral Reef had a gift shop! Great detail and representation.

Anyone know who this guy is?

Large Coco Joes Hapa wood "Winner Tiki".

Again, Hawaiian, but who/what?

Signing off for now,

Psycho Tiki D (I know I am because practice makes perfect)!

Pscho Tiki D-

Looks like Harvey's was your main score too! I love those masks, especially the last 5. They remind me of "tikified" Pixieware from Holt Howard. Very cool!

UJ

Recent finds of 2007

Two karate punch mugs (I believe they are Dynasty wholesale, they look too new), Two books, one from '67 called "Booze" and the other "How to Cook Chinese Food", 4 boxes of drink decorations, swizzel sticks, and a coconut monkey for my wahine.

Zulu Lulu swizzles, 3 Trader Vics drink picks, Kon-Tiki swizzle from the Sheraton in Waikiki (blue), a Kona Kai swizzle (red), and an old crow swizzle.

Excusing the terrible digital photo's, its been a very good tiki hunting season, I've found recently a Italian coconut mug, a pod-wood Ku mug, a couple of wooden tourist Maori tikis, a matchbook for the "Beachcomber resort motel" and these two HIP products, a sexy wee Hula girl and a "hauoli akua - happy god" tiki (which has been broken in half at some point and suffers the "coco-joes droop").

..and then this weekend, whilst dragging myself around a car-boot sale, I spotted this mug face down in a junk box at the side of a stall. I simply couldn't believe it, I reached down and turned it over and read "Don the Beachcomber" I almost screamed but i had to put on my most severe poker face unless i alerted the seller to my desire. I swear the world went quite, I went into shock, I nearly dropped the mug, I had to appear uninterested in the mug so I went through the rest of the box incase other mugs were hiding, chipped plates and broken toys.
I asked the seller "how much this vase?" (I make a point of never referring to the things i buy by name in case the sellers do research on there own)and the guy said "aw 50p for that". At that moment I was pretty sure I was still asleep and this was a dream, but I handed over my 50p (that's $0.96)and floated away.

One of the best things about this find apart from finding one of the rare high-rolling signature tiki mugs for less than the cost of cup of tea, was that just two stalls along was the car-boot dealer who'd charged me £4.00 for a Tiki Lelani Mug.

K

On 2007-03-05 10:55, atomictonytiki wrote:

..and then this weekend, whilst dragging myself around a car-boot sale, I spotted this mug face down in a junk box at the side of a stall. I simply couldn't believe it, I reached down and turned it over and read "Don the Beachcomber" I almost screamed but i had to put on my most severe poker face unless i alerted the seller to my desire. I swear the world went quite, I went into shock, I nearly dropped the mug, I had to appear uninterested in the mug so I went through the rest of the box incase other mugs were hiding, chipped plates and broken toys.
I asked the seller "how much this vase?" (I make a point of never referring to the things i buy by name in case the sellers do research on there own)and the guy said "aw 50p for that". At that moment I was pretty sure I was still asleep and this was a dream, but I handed over my 50p (that's $0.96)and floated away.

One of the best things about this find apart from finding one of the rare high-rolling signature tiki mugs for less than the cost of cup of tea, was that just two stalls along was the car-boot dealer who'd charged me £4.00 for a Tiki Lelani Mug.

Brilliant find, Atomic!
Congrats...
:drink:
K.

I need to know what a "car-boot" sale is and where I can find one in California!

Excellent find! That story rocks!

PTD

B

[ Edited by: BlackFish 2009-09-08 04:27 ]

M

*"I asked the seller "how much this vase?" (I make a point of never referring to the things i buy by name in case the sellers do research on there own)and the guy said "aw 50p for that". At that moment I was pretty sure I was still asleep and this was a dream, but I handed over my 50p (that's $0.96)and floated away. "

Holy Columbus discovers America, Batman! I have been around a while, seen my share of....stuff. This is without doubt one of the greatest finds about which I have ever read. When one takes into account the circumstances of the find, rarity of the found item, the location, and the price, it is simply an All-Star score. A Don Beach mug, in the UK, for a buck? I'll take "No way, not gonna happen" for $500, Alex.

Fifty...? 50p? Bah ha ha.

Score of the year, score of the year.
midnite

I still can't believe I found it, you know they say "pinch yourself to see if your dreaming", well I was in such a state of shock I couldn't feel my pinches.

Its very heartening to for all us tiki hunters outside of the big tiki areas, to know that the big mugs are out there and because there is less people looking for tiki mugs, you can still get them.

[ Edited by: atomictonytiki 2007-03-06 02:50 ]

Here are a few pics of our recent tiki finds.

Nice finds Lucy,
Any info on what look to be the Frankoma platter and clam shell?

So in the past couple of days I picked up a Volcano Bowl, it's one of the newer Orchids of Hawaii repros and the black Moai mug marked "Trader Vic's San Francisco 70th Anniversary"!
Aloha,

[ Edited by: Tiki Royale 2007-03-07 13:21 ]

The hits just keep on rollin'...Today's finds...

Two Brown OMC Mark's Outrigger Montery Pineapple mugs.

Three Orchid Of Hawaii R-73A Hula Girl mugs.

Two Orchid Of Hawaii R-82 Fu Manchu mugs. The coolest thing about the Orchid of Hawaii mugs is that I also got the original box with the paper label for the Fu Manchu Mugs. It originally held 6 of them.

Even happier to find this beautifully carved Witco tiki! Gotta love it!

See ya,

Psycho Tiki D (I know I am cuz I got tiki OCD)!

The "Mermaid" soapdishes appear to have possibly been an on-going ceramic class project...

The one on the left has a marking on the bottom "Kim '73". The one on the right does not have any markings. The one in the middle has a smaller "clamshell" and is marked "Copyright 1958 Freeman McFarlin USA. This one has a hollow back, whereas the other two are solid. Holes in the bottom indicate this may have been used as a nightlight/soapdish or possibly a planter/soapdish?

Psycho Tiki D (I know I am because what else am I going to do)?

[ Edited by: Psycho Tiki D 2007-03-07 18:00 ]

On 2007-03-06 23:42, Tiki Royale wrote:
Nice finds Lucy,
Any info on what look to be the Frankoma platter and clam shell?

Tiki Royale,

you are right those are the Frankoma dishes. The clam shell is marked "Frankoma T10". The palm leaf is also marked Frankoma, but the other marking is hard to make out. Neither one is marked "Trade Winds". While looking this past weekend I found another palm leaf platter that I left in the store as well as another clam shell with a dark blue glaze.

S

On 2007-02-03 17:08, uncle trav wrote:
Got this Luau Room rocks glass as a B-day gift. Never seen one before. The second pic is a close up of the side of the glass.

Very cool. If you have not read the thread, the Luau I think still exists, but is not a tiki bar.

Nice pick up, PTD, on the Witco. Balls

I was out for a little this afternoon while we are here in Asheville. I hit all the usual antique malls, and saw a lot of neat things i already have. Then I hit some more a.malls and found a few rare gems. An excellent tiny marquesean tiki with one little hole just big enough for one toothpick, I put him in my pocket for luck and went on. I then went and found four depression era glasses that were stunning, and vaguely familiar. I looked over the menus on the internet and found why. They are near exact replicas of the skin/pearl diver glasses.

I have never met a drink I didn't like, unless it was that time I met beer...

[ Edited by: Mike the Headhunter 2007-03-10 19:32 ]

[ Edited by: Mike the Headhunter 2007-03-11 08:32 ]

[ Edited by: Mike the Headhunter 2007-03-11 08:34 ]

This week's haul:

Sterling charms bracelet with a pearl inlay (saw one just like this on ebay last week for $100 BIN :o -probably didn't sell at that price)

Do not know how old this is, but I think it's from the 70's

Maori carving:

Buzzy Out!

[ Edited by: Bay Park Buzzy 2007-03-12 12:52 ]

From the Lagoon of Liquidspaceman...

Tonight my family and I had an impromptu Luau in our backyard. It was such a nice day. The warmest so far this year. Anyhow, I lit the tiki torches and set up an "alter" at the end of our table. While we were eating Bar-B-Que chicken, we were listening to esquivel (space-age bachelor pad music). I felt like we were somewhere else. For a moment I thought a waiter would be coming up from behind and asking if I wanted more Iced tea. :drink: Anyway, back to the story. The Moai seen in the picture was from a new store in town called Fish Planet. They have 4 sizes to pick from. Even a 1 1/2" size for a Beta tank. When I went back yesterday, they had run out. Which makes me want to ask, "did some tiki centralite buyout all the Moai at Fish Planet?" :tiki:

Liquidspaceman, over and out

Even with Vamp's Tiki Party I was able to spend some time out looking this weekend. Some finds o.k. and others pretty good. Here are this weekend's finds...

Coco Joes "Singing Menehune" with Ukulele, 1965

Old tiki faced lava lighter, no marking, probably Coco Joes.

60's wood art tiki with "pull tab" to hang on back.

I was extremely happy to find these original vintage prints from the 1940 Golden Gate International Exposition. These were published by Pacific House in San Francisco and were done by artist Miguel Covarrubias. Plate 1 is titled "Peoples of the Pacific". Plate 3 is titled "Native Art Forms of the Pacific" and Plate 5 is titled "Native Dwellings of the Pacific". Very nice condition and colors!

Some closer images!

See you soon!

Psycho Tiki D (I know I am and I just can't help it)!

[ Edited by: Psycho Tiki D 2007-03-12 15:59 ]

The last antique mall on my list found a small 3 glass float stack thing, and a cool thing marked as a pillow cover about 12x12 inches definitely a Hawaiian souvenir a bit ruff but definitely worth $6.50.

Wow Psycho...those prints are awesome...I love antinque maps. Great finds everyone!!!

On 2007-03-12 15:31, Psycho Tiki D wrote:
Even with Vamp's Tiki Party I was able to spend some time out looking this weekend. Some finds o.k. and others pretty good. Here are this weekend's finds...

60's wood art tiki with "pull tab" to hang on back.

peace,
fil/

[ Edited by: filslash 2007-03-13 12:43 ]

[ Edited by: filslash 2008-09-20 15:14 ]

Not necessarily tiki but it did come from one of the finest tiki establishments to exist. In the 70's the San Francisco Trader Vic's had at there front counter a box of cigarette holders free to guest.

Trader Vic's is kinda faded away

from the white residue at the tip, I think they where doing more then smoking cigs with these.

H
Helz posted on Sun, Mar 18, 2007 12:20 PM

So being that I was back in the old hometown, and out of bed a bit early this morning, I ventured to the local Savers just for the heck of it...

They were kinda pricey at $2.99 a piece...but I figured what the heck! :wink:

[ Edited by: helztiki 2007-03-18 12:47 ]

Grabbed these three items this week:

Buzzy Out!

Psycho those maps are a wonderful find!

And way to go Helz!!
Those black beauties are in perfect shape - I'm so jealous :)

Helztiki,

Not sure where your hometown is or what Savers is, but damn good find there!

Filslash,

What year was the project for the tiki made?

On to this week's and recent finds...

Glass bottle of Okolehao 80 proof 2/3rds full, yum yum!

50's Ceramic Tiki, front and back.

Four wood carved "Moai". Different sizes.

Boxed set of "McDonalds" Hawaiian Glassware scences four glasses, top and side view.

Set of four "Suck 'Em Up" glasses with Mai Tai receipe on the back.

Two of three 2003 Danny G Tiki Farm mugs with "Comcast Spotlight Cable World Bazaar June 9, 2005" printed on the back.

Boxed R-14 Orchids of Hawaii Scorpion Bowl.

That's all folks,

Psycho Tiki D (I know I am and I will find it all eventually)!

Wow dude, you're on fire! Way to go!

A 1963 Trader Vic mug and a charm bracelet by Coco Joe, and I thought they only did resin tikis.

On 2007-03-12 15:31, Psycho Tiki D wrote:
I was extremely happy to find these original vintage prints from the 1940 Golden Gate International Exposition. These were published by Pacific House in San Francisco and were done by artist Miguel Covarrubias...

Great to see that these still are found in the wild...though it's sad for me personally to see that apparently there are more and more Tiki enthusiasts out there that do not know the Book of Tiki.

On 2007-03-12 20:54, filslash wrote:

OK I found it...

I'd pass the pic to sven...

Thanks fil, no need, the above page is going to be in Tiki Modern, together with this bar caddy inspired by that same template:

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 11539 replies