Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Tiki Finds

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 11,539 replies

HOK

Swapmeet find, Tapa wall hanging w/Tikis, approx 10" x 16" Aloha, Freddie

HEy Cool Manchu,
Yep, Alameda produced a few nuggets. I saw a couple of nice rattan bars there yesterday and a Frankel style couch (already sold).
Aloha,
:tiki:

I know this is no fun without pix but my batteries are dead. Yesterday we ran the gauntlet in the 'couve (hit all the thrift stores in town) and we managed to find tiki at every stop! First stop found a Tiki Bob salt and pepper shakers $2.99(score!!). All in all we got mugs, tiki carvings, and a vintage rattan table and chairs for about $40 total. Cha-ching!

S
Swanky posted on Mon, Jul 2, 2007 8:52 AM

On 2007-07-01 10:13, Fugu wrote:
I picked up this hibachi at an antique store a couple of weeks ago for $8. They had it labeled as a planter. Only problem is that it doesn't have the grill grate anymore. Anyone know where I could look to find a replacement grate for it?

What about the asbestos mat that it sits on?

C
croe67 posted on Mon, Jul 2, 2007 9:18 AM

On 2007-07-01 12:33, uncle trav wrote:

I picked up this hibachi at an antique store a couple of weeks ago for $8. They had it labeled as a planter. Only problem is that it doesn't have the grill grate anymore. Anyone know where I could look to find a replacement grate for it?

You may be able to find a cast iron drain cover that would work. Take the measurements with you to one of the "do it your self stores". They may have something that will fit. I think the original grate was cast iron but I may be mistaken. LOL.

yes, the original was a silver-colored cast iron grate - I have a "complete" unused one with the asbestos pad, grate, etc. & one that is just the tiki portion with everything else missing.

F
Fugu posted on Mon, Jul 2, 2007 9:55 AM

On 2007-07-02 08:52, Swanky wrote:

There was no asbestos pad with it. It has the white container for the charcoal that sits in the head, but that's the only accessory that was there with it.

Hey Tiki Royal,

We should hook up next time for a cup of coffee and to share our finds...

I bought one of the bars (there were two that looked almost exactly alike) I bought the one that we on the corner of the row.

Also, I was really tempted to buy the Outrigger painting done in browns and oranges, but the bar was more of a priority.

Did you see the Moai tile wall hanging?

How about all those old maps that had the tikis on them? They had the full set of five and only wanted $125 for all of them...they were framed even...but I thought someone else would appreciate them more than I would and I didn't have the room to hang them all...I hope someone from here picked up the other lovely items in Alameda this past weekend...

S

On 2007-07-02 09:55, Fugu wrote:

On 2007-07-02 08:52, Swanky wrote:

There was no asbestos pad with it. It has the white container for the charcoal that sits in the head, but that's the only accessory that was there with it.

I believe they are designed to use Sterno, but originally it came with an asbestos pad to sit on to keep it from heating up anything under it as well.

I found a TF Head Hunter at the swap for seven bones. :)

TIKI TEVITA......great find...i met Tevita Lotoaatu last week in maui,,,he was carving on a roadside shopping stop.....a very interesting old fella.we chatted awhile.......i purchased a 2 foot lono manahoa from him...he signed it the same way....name..place...year...tevita....a true master carver...old school.. he makes it look easy.....he has a web site that his nephew set up for him...he takes special orders....the photo of him on the website... must have been taken a few years ago...same guy just older......via that site...info...www.friendlyisleswc.com.....

BK

Awesome!
Thanks for the info!

BK

WOW! I had a pretty good weekend here in the wilds of Massatiki. I'm still relatively new at this so, I might get a little too excited about common stuff but here are my weekend finds in addition to the Tiki Tevita.

It was Hula Gurl weekend for me. Here are a real nice chalkware bobber, no cracks or chips & a Treasure Craft Hula Chick.

Here are a nice Coco Joe's Hula Girl & a porcelain Made In Japan Hula Girl with a skirt.

I also scored this mug from the Honolulu in Westboro, MA. It was flattened & turned into a chain pizza joint about 5 years ago.

Lastly, I got 10 Teacups. 7 from the Mai Tai, 2 from the Kowloon & 1 from the Polynesian.
If anyone has any info on the Mai Tai or the Polynesian, I would like to hear it.
Also, if anyone has any ideas how to straighten the skirts on the Hula Girls, I'd like to know.

[ Edited by: Big Kahuna 2007-07-03 19:39 ]

HOK

On 2007-07-03 19:37, Big Kahuna wrote:
Also, if anyone has any ideas how to straighten the skirts on the Hula Girls, I'd like to know.

You might try one of those portable/travel clothes steamers, just keep a eye on the glue...might be waterbased. Aloha, Freddie

Here are some of my finds..
New Zealand cork screw $5

Mawal Chalkware $7

CocoJoe's Hula Girl $7

Cool Ass Tiki shirt-Goodwill

3 CocoJoe's $10

My husband's #1 find Monkey pod ice Bucket $10

T

I love coming on here and finding out what everyone else has been finding in their hunts!! It's cool to see what people are still finding out there.
Okay, here is a few of my findings over the last week or so.

The ashtray/pipe tray is an old one form HIP. It has a small gold foil sticker on the bottom which is quite an old one. The guy on the right is really cool! He is just about (I guess I should say she) 4" tall and is unmarked.

The Moai carving on the left is quite stylized and has his hands come right to his front belly. He is not marked and is just over 8" tall. The New Zealand carved paddle with shells inset at the top is just about 17" tall.

The white Japanese Warrior mug (sorry about bright picture)is very well detailed. I usually don't buy these types of mugs but the condition of the mold, the details of his armor, and the vintage "Japan" stamp on the bottom sold it for me. Plus the price of 3 Bones doesn't hurt too much! The one on the right is last years (06')Tommy Bahamas mug. I thought this was real strange seeing it in a thrift store as I NEVER see new mugs in the thrifts. Especially the ones that are a step up above the common and over produced import ones.

And last but not least a cool set of Bali Hai salt and peppers. I love finding items that are from the original restaurants up here!! I have to get everything off Ebay or trades but every once in a while some cool, hard to find stuff can be found. The Tiki Bank in the center is marked Japan on the base and is made of a red clay. I saw this same one in a collectible shop in Vancouver and it was like $35 so I figured I'd pass. Two months later at the flea market......$2.00! The Hula Girl on the end is actually a small decanter from Hawaiian Distillers. The top of her hair comes of to let out the booze!! Very nice ceramic piece with paper label still on back. Shes only about 6" tall.

Happy Hunting!! TabooDan

T

We hit a local thrift store today. Just when it looked like we were going to get skunked, the wahine spotted a Don the Beachcomber coconut mug. The mug is in good shape, but the paint seems faded. Lots of hard use, perhaps?

We also stopped at an antique store and found two matchbooks. One is from the Royal Hawaiian, in Laguna Beach. The other is from an apparently hitherto undiscovered Bali Hai. This one was located at 13223 Washington Blvd., Culver City, California. I couldn't find anything about the place on TC, Critiki, and in Tiki Road Trip. Has anybody ever heard of this place?

The Don the Beachcomber coconut mug.

The matchbooks from the Royal Hawaiian and the Bali Hai

Front of the matchbooks

being that it was 7-7-07 cleen and i decided to try our luck thrifting & hitting antique stores. after a day of finding NOTHING, we went into this antique store just down the street from the house and came across this stuff:

an august holland print and a couple of coco joes tikis!

we also scored an outrigger three face mug and a yma sumac album. all of which amounted to $35 bucks!

This week's stuff:

Friday: A fork and spoon set and a monkeypod pinapple bowl. The bowl has a stamp on the bottom, "Harry's Cabinet and Curio, Hawaii"

I was just saying a couple days ago it had been a while since I had found any forks and spoons, then bingo!

Saturday: A first American edition of Aku Aku and a Tongan style wood tiki.

Today: A carved wooden Hawaii plate. This style is everywhere, I just get the ones that say Hawaii on them when I see them

An Oahu clock face without the clock parts

Buzzy Out!

UT

On 2007-07-08 10:27, the drunken hat wrote:
being that it was 7-7-07 cleen and i decided to try our luck thrifting & hitting antique stores. after a day of finding NOTHING, we went into this antique store just down the street from the house and came across this stuff:

we also scored an outrigger three face mug and a yma sumac album. all of which amounted to $35 bucks!

How much was that Steve Crane bowl ? Third shelf up from the bottom just to the left of the Islander Hula girl mug.

On 2007-07-08 19:32, uncle trav wrote:

How much was that Steve Crane bowl ? Third shelf up from the bottom just to the left of the Islander Hula girl mug.

how dare you! that is a latitude 20 hula girl mug!

Not enough you got the Islander items, you had to go and find more cool stuff!

Congrats on the finds, you lucky devils. And great finds by everyone else!

PTD

Haven't found alot...but have spent more lately than I ever have.

This weeks finds...

White plaster tiki.

On the left, wood carved tiki my dad sent from Chicago, thanks Dad!

The remaining wood carved tiki panels from the "Pollardville Islander Rip-Off". These are unique, one of a kind icons that deserved way better treatment than what they were given. Yep, I bought these and I have no idea what I am going to do with them, but at least I know they stayed local and even though I paid alot for them, I have them! Don't call me crazy...call me Psycho!

Psycho Tiki D (I know I am and I'm not crazy)!

im so glad to see that they found a good home. esp the hop louie islander tiki one (you's gotta put them together!)

On 2007-07-10 17:46, tikicleen wrote:
im so glad to see that they found a good home. esp the hop louie islander tiki one (you's gotta put them together!)

Yep, they are home and they are happy. Thanks so much!

PTD

You are my kind of crazy, PTD! Awesome finds. I love that there are these Islander artifacts surfacing and making their way into the right hands.

As far as finds, I got skunked again today doing the rounds at my few local thrifts and dealers. I'm definitley going to have to expand my search perimeters. Since I'm new, maybe it wouldn't be against protocol to post my finds from the past serveral years. They are all from the wild, and still woefully few in number.

On 2007-07-10 18:49, ManFromT.I.K.I. wrote:
You are my kind of crazy, PTD! Awesome finds. I love that there are these Islander artifacts surfacing and making their way into the right hands.

As far as finds, I got skunked again today doing the rounds at my few local thrifts and dealers. I'm definitley going to have to expand my search perimeters. Since I'm new, maybe it wouldn't be against protocol to post my finds from the past serveral years. They are all from the wild, and still woefully few in number.

No finds are against protocol...post away!

Psycho Tiki D (I know I am and again, I ain't crazy)!

Hey All!
Just a bump to encourage everyone to post all of their kool mid-century, non-tiki finds on Beyond Tiki Finds. I don't think enough of us are doing it & I know most of us would like to see them!
Rick

On 2007-07-10 19:24, Big Kahuna wrote:
Hey All!
Just a bump to encourage everyone to post all of their kool mid-century, non-tiki finds on Beyond Tiki Finds. I don't think enough of us are doing it & I know most of us would like to see them!
Rick

Got one for you, go check it out!

PTD

These were all found casually over the past several years in various thrift stores, antique/collectible shops and yard sales between Coos Bay and Newport on the southern and central Oregon Coast.

Now that I have been more actively searching lately, they are proving elusive. (Naturally)

The one on the left is from a set of six I found at an estate sale. The surfer girl on the right is one of 2 found together in a thrift store. 25 cents each. I love thrift store finds.

P
Paipo posted on Wed, Jul 11, 2007 3:11 PM

I've eased off on the collecting recently due to lack of space. Best acquisitions of the last couple of months:

Beauty

Beast (around 12" tall)

T

Found this little guy -

#811 by Poly Art - it's a 4" high tea-candle holder. Or a pot for a very, very small plant.
Outrageously priced @ 3.99 at Value Village. Guess someone on the staff told them tiki is back 'in'.

On 2007-07-12 21:45, twitch wrote:
#811 by Poly Art - it's a 4" high tea-candle holder. Or a pot for a very, very small plant.

...or a table lighter.

Buzzy Out!

T

Randomest tiki find: August Holland's The Pearl of Wisdom appeared in The Monkey Hut on our wedding anniversary. Our friends expressed surprise, we laughed at their clever joke. Then Tikitronic said "No, seriously, I did not buy that print, who did?" Silence.

Tiki Elves at work! They sneak in and bring you tiki gifts!

(ok, it turned out my sister got it from her neighbor (for $2) and snuck it into the house. But Tiki Elves is a better story.)

T

On 2007-07-13 00:19, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:

On 2007-07-12 21:45, twitch wrote:

...or a table lighter.

Buzzy Out!

Sweet! And I've got one of those lighter-tops, too! Somewhere, in some distant box of stuff...
Thanks for the tip-off!

my wife and i made our first trip to oceanic arts this week. bob and leroy were so nice to us. what an amazing place to visit. i bought a large maori club and a small palm tiki. when we were getting ready to leave bob gave me an oa notepad, 2 coasters and 4 oa swizzle sticks. i was thrilled. mahalo bob and leroy.

This morning's finds:

Wood stuff

A pair of Moai tissue box covers

Some Tiki Farm mugs

a little TikiFarm mug and a pair of Hawaii S+P shakers

Buzzy Out!

My finds this weekend...

A moai from The Tikis, and a nice vintage Bali Hai mug.

I never find swizzles. I finally came across these two. One is for United Airline's service to Hawaii (image is blurry, but is a Ku), and an unidentified stick with a Maori Tiki (the guy with the tilted head). The same person also had two brown and one yellow Don the Beachcomber sticks, but they were melted and warped. Darn!!! I also picked up the Bahooka matchbook at the Bahooka itself. I also wanted a t-shirt, but there was nobody at the cashier's booth.

Matchbooks from Don the Beachcomber, a nifty but beat-up one from The Tikis, Mark Thomas' Outrigger, Sam's Seafood, and The Tropics in Palm Springs. I also picked up a matchbook from Disney's Polynesian Village, but accidentally tossed it back into the box. Double darn!!!

The back of the same matchbooks.

P
Paipo posted on Tue, Jul 17, 2007 8:11 PM

The Hei Tiki swizzle is from Air New Zealand, but the logo part has broken away:

T

Found a couple odd mugs at a christian thrift (unusual in itself) -

No markings. Anyone have any ideas on the makers?

On 2007-07-17 20:37, twitch wrote:

I have both of those, although it sounds like you got a better deal than I did. I think mine are marked, so I can check for you tonight.

On 2007-07-17 20:37, twitch wrote:

I know those came from TJ Max a few years ago when the bean and liquid "mix" was being sold in the moai or suffering bastard bottles. I have both of those (the bottom one in a olive green glaze). I too will look when i get home. I want to say they were either Tiki Farm of TF knock-offs (I'm not in the "know" on that). Shonfelds is the company I believe distributed it.

Texas Tikiphiles Unite!

[ Edited by: Unkle John 2007-07-18 14:20 ]

T

Mystery solved, thanks! When I first looked at them I thought they were some home-craft project - they're a little wonky & irregular, with slightly-warped rims & such...

It's been a long time since I posted anything here and a lot of finds have been made since then, but this has got to be among my favorite "in the wild" finds so far. It's complete (I think) and in perfect condition. Found during a pilgrimage to Tiki Point on Grand Lake, OK. If anybody knows whether there's supposed to be more to this set, please let me know.

Classic Silver Line Boats

[ Edited by: Silverline 2017-01-04 17:38 ]

Great finds by everyone recently...

Anyone know anything about these?

PTD

On 2007-07-18 19:49, Psycho Tiki D wrote:

PTD

I have to ask, are those tiki-toilets? They look like a matching toilet and bidet!! If they are, that has to be the ultimate tiki find! Ha!Ha!Ha!

On 2007-07-18 22:05, disneydan wrote:

On 2007-07-18 19:49, Psycho Tiki D wrote:

PTD

I have to ask, are those tiki-toilets? They look like a matching toilet and bidet!! If they are, that has to be the ultimate tiki find! Ha!Ha!Ha!

Didn't say they were pretty and maybe they are "tiki-toilets". I have seen forks and spoons carved with the tiki poles in back, never seen these before? Just wondering if anyone knows anything about the manufacturer?

PTD

They could be a combination coat/hat rack and umbrella stand. Back in the day people used to use real umbrellas in the rain. It's hard to be for sur ewithout seeingthe top of the pole.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 11539 replies