Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Tiki Finds

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 11,539 replies

S
SES posted on Thu, Sep 25, 2003 2:02 AM

[ Edited by: susane on 2004-01-20 06:31 ]

I bought this lovely pair of monkeypod whatevertheyares at a thrift store yesterday:

They have holes in the handles for hanging (like a fork & spoon set), full body tikis for handles and a mug-like tiki head at the base.

They're about 22" tall. Does anyone know what these things are or what they might be used for?

[ Edited by: Sweet Daddy Tiki 2008-09-17 22:01 ]

O

i think i saw those in a book on Maori carvings at school, if no body else knows i will look on monday. they look great what ever they are, a good find for sure.

Yep-Maori stuff, looks like to me, too.

P

We had some good tiki finds while on a drive through Eastern Washington this past weekend : 2 Trader Vic's hot rum batter barrels ( one for $ 5.00, one for $ 6.50 ) 2 Outrigger tiki mugs ($ 10 for both) , 4 New Otani pineapple mugs ( 4 for $ 10 ), and 4 Trader Vic's menehunes ( $ 1 each). Though I've seen pics of the hot rum batter barrels in other collections, its the first time I've found them in my travels...let alone finding 2 in one day!

[ Edited by: puamana on 2003-09-29 14:37 ]

I stopped at the Sal on the way home today and found a Mai-Kai decanter! Missing the sticker on the back but the cork is still intact.
Man that's a cool piece!
So then I hit another thrift on the way and hauled in a CoCo Joe's bottle opener, two OMC mugs and a peanut mug from Tiki Bob's!

All this for just under $20

To quote Mr. Ice Qube... "today was a good day"

Aloha,
:tiki:

[ Edited by: Tiki Royale on 2003-09-30 23:35 ]

E

A good day for yours truly too...and a real hanky-grabbingly sentimental one. I have a good friend back in my hometown I haven't seen in years. We were chatting on the phone a couple of months ago, and he paused a bit and suddenly announced he was going to do a bunch of thrifting there for me, as I'd been bitching about the difficulty of finding anything very cool in Vancouver. Well, here's the stuff, arrived today by Greyhound. One of the nicest things anyone's ever done for me.

Some nice Joes to complement my collection. the "hitchhiker's foot" is stamped copyright '63.

Yer basic monkeypod tray, will look good on our teak coffee table.

Near-mint TV's of Hawaii, and mint Al Harrington.

Last but not least, novelty Moai lamp. Used to be a techie-looking Ikea in that spot, but it's in the closet now; make a commercial out of THAT!
:)
aloha,
em.

O

sorry Sweet Daddy Tiki i looked in the books at school and didn't find it. i know i have seen them some where i will keep looking, maybe some else will know.

P

emspace,

That's a great friend you have, thrifting in your honor ! Great finds, too, especially that TV seahorse mug. Some of my favorite vintage tiki items were given to me by friends & family. Congrats !

E

Thanks puamana, yep, he's one of the best. My bro and my Mom have found me a few items too, but to get a hoard like this all at once - man, I will never forget this day.

em.

Puamana,
Congrats on a killer deal!
You probably saved a couple of hundred big ones.

O
Octane posted on Wed, Oct 1, 2003 8:45 PM

acording to an auction on Ebay those Maori carvings that Sweet Daddy Tiki found are wall planters.

Thanks Octane. That's what the cashier at the thrift store thought too but I discounted it because that's always their advice for anything that can't be identified -- "Put a plant in it!"

Sweet Daddy T.

HL

They had an object like your "wall planters" in a glass display at the Bali Hai with some other objects, collectively marked as "tools and weapons." So they may be plant hangers, but they were perhaps modeled after a similiar object with a different intended purpose.

S
Swanky posted on Sat, Oct 4, 2003 7:20 PM

Today's finds: 4 Hawaiian Inn Daytona mugs, 2 Kona coffee Mill mugs, an Orchids Benny Hanna mug and a frame we will put a new picture in. The mugs were $3 each except the Benny, which was $5.

Nice batch...I'll trade you out of one of the Hawaiian Inn mugs if I don't have that color.

this weekend's finds:

when i spied this mug from a distance at first i thought it was one of those african-style trader vic's coffee grogs because it was so dark, but turns out to be from the Mauna Loa, Mexico. i would not have considered this tiki (Mayan or Aztec maybe?) but i bought it because of the recent thread about Mexican tiki restaurants.

then i found a coco jo's tiki cigarette lighter in perfect working condition and a hawaii ashtray going as a pair.

and finally, when TC'er Tiki A. Moaikingbird and i were waiting for a table at dim sum, i noticed a vending machine in the entrance that had these cool monkey and tiki stickers.

Sweet Daddy T.

[ Edited by: Sweet Daddy Tiki 2008-09-17 22:04 ]

P

Nice score on that Mauna Loa mug ! The first page of the menu from there has an interesting illustration of that mug. Here's a pic:

[ Edited by: puamana on 2003-10-05 16:01 ]

S
SES posted on Sun, Oct 5, 2003 4:10 PM

[ Edited by: susane on 2004-01-20 07:01 ]

thanks for posting the menu, puamana, i love the illustrations.

-Sweet Daddy T.

I haven't posted any of my latest finds in a while so here's what I've managed to scrounge up over the last three weeks. An Orchids R-72, OMC Kon Tiki-Style, Monkey Pod Bookends, Taboo LP, Coco Joe's Napkin Holder & Menehune Figure and Aku Aku Scorpion Bowl. Other recent finds include OMC Stockton Islander Mug, OMC Osaka Mug, Coco Joe's Hapa Wood Figures, OMC Mug, The Islands Revisted LP & Hand-Carved Wooden Mask. The Islands Revisted LP has a cool color booklet inside the cover that has wonderful pictures of old Hawaiian, great Tiki Shots. Great Tiki Kharma, once again!

My sin is I covet. I covet my neighbor's tikis. Covet, covet, covet. Right now I'm coveting Vegastikidude's moai bowl. I also covet that chubby little mug in the bottom picture just to the left of the wooden mask. A little while ago I just missed scoring a pair of them at Goodwill. I saw an older gentleman walking around with a pair of them in his hands. I followed him around hoping he might change his mind and put them back (it could happen). Finally I approached him and asked if he collected tiki mugs. He said he collected all kinds of Hawaiian items and that he'd been doing it for forty years. I said that he must have quite a collection and he said "a warehouse full." Hope I run into that guy again so I can ask to see his warehouse.

E

Nice scores all! SDT, those monkey stickers are so cute, I'd deface my refrigerator with 'em. Mrs. emspace is the huge monkey fan here, but she got me hooked...

...yeah, the sin of Tiki covetousness...some day I'm gonna find someone who has like 15 Crane Luau bowls, and I'm going to accuse them of the sin of greed, or hoarding, or something, make them break down and confess and gimmee one...

em.

E

P.S. those Orchids R-72s show up on eBay now and then. Keep your eyes open SDT.

em

Kahuna weighing in perhaps a bit lightly this week compared to you all: Another August Holland "Pearl of Wisdom" print, this one with a wierd gold frame that makes it all the better, A Japan Tiki ashtray, a cool 8x10 photo of the Place Of Refuge, An OMC coconut mug, Another OMC skull mug (third one in two weeks), and a slew of tiki matchbooks, including Wa Toy, Hawaiian Isles, Kon Tiki-Sheraton Cleveland, The Outrigger Room, that strange little bastard Mai Kai-that isn't the Mai Kai we all know and love but another one in the Northeast, Waikiki, Polynesian Village (in pink!), etc.

[ Edited by: Basement Kahuna on 2003-10-07 00:14 ]

C

BK, don't you have that print in triplicate already? So if that's not headed for Hale Tiki could there be a way to persuade you to send it to my tiki print shelter in Phoenix?

Or if you put it on eBay (a damaged one just went for $200+) I'll jump start the bidding before the high rolling snipers take aim.

E

On 2003-10-06 23:35, emspace wrote:
P.S. those Orchids R-72s show up on eBay now and then. Keep your eyes open SDT.

em

er, duh...I mean R-76s.
:oops:
em

On 2003-10-07 01:37, Cultjam wrote:
BK, don't you have that print in triplicate already? So if that's not headed for Hale Tiki could there be a way to persuade you to send it to my tiki print shelter in Phoenix?

Or if you put it on eBay (a damaged one just went for $200+) I'll jump start the bidding before the high rolling snipers take aim.

I had to move off of the Hale tiki project, and there's nowhere to hang two around here...so sure, if you need one I'll sell it to you or trade you for cool mugs...PM me and we'll get something going. One is a solid backed type and the other is the brushstroke paper.

a lack of Tiki finds for months then suddenly two at once, a nice made in New Zealand playing card/coaster holder..

and this pasty faced PMP mug copy, which is marked "Lora Menorca", obviously somewhere in Spain is producing these unusual looking knock-offs.

[ Edited by: atomictonytiki 2009-01-20 13:49 ]

S
SES posted on Wed, Oct 8, 2003 7:32 PM

[ Edited by: susane on 2004-01-20 07:10 ]

H

My first thought was that it looked like the fabled, rarely seen Holy Grail -- the Sta-Puft marshmallow mug. Oh well, I'll have to keep looking.

G
GECKO posted on Thu, Oct 9, 2003 3:02 PM

atomictonytiki take that card holder and mount it to a closet door or any door and it can be a nice door handle.

K
Kono posted on Sun, Oct 12, 2003 8:31 PM

Hi everyone...newbie here. I enjoy looking at everyone's cool purchases (tho some of 'em get me a little jealous) and thought I'd share some of my most recent finds.

I guess I'm not a tiki purist, I also collect central/south american stuff, carribbean, african, SE asian, florida...basically items from hot muggy places...but I focus mostly on polynesian and tiki. I'll skip most of the non-tiki when I post here.

I'm also new to my digital camera so these pics may not be of the highest quality. :(

A month ago, I went with a friend to Oahu for 10 days. Had a great time and got to do some antiquing and thrifting. Of course, we bought lots of new cool cheap souvenirs from the International Marketplace and ABC stores etc, but for the most part they're not in the pics.

Left to right: actually got that King Kamehameha Coco Joe guy here in Florida right before I left. Got it at a flea market for five bucks! :) I just had to throw him in. In front of him are a couple of small tikis: one a Coco Joe and the other one is made out of stone and is unmarked. Both of those guys came from "The Hunter" antique store in Kailua. The two of them together were well under 10 bucks. The skinny Moai in the back is actually a new item, says "Made in Indonesia" on the back, but it's one of my favorites. Cost $8 from "Peggy's Picks" on Kapahulu just a couple doors down from Ona's (love that chickek lau lau). Down front is an Alii mug that I got for two bucks from "Trash From the Past" on California in Wahiawa. That ice bucket in the back is actually a mid century Danish piece (I love Danish Modern) but I think it nicely fits in with the tiki. It came from The Hunter for a hair over $30. Last but not least, there's a drink mug from the Hyatt Regency Waikiki. I have no idea how old it is...got it at the Goodwill in Kailua for a buck or two.

Hmmm....I didn't mean to crop off half of that tiki on the left. I bought him new from a carver at the Aloha Festival street party. Didn't catch his name but he sells lots of tikis around Waikiki as far as I can tell. I saw his work in a shop or two. Very nice tiki for about fifteen drunken bucks. Down front are a couple of mystery tikis. A couple of little ceramic blueish tiki guys that look kinda like bookends but are too small and light. The little blue one in the back is pretty dinged up. 5 bucks at Goodwill. To the right is a brand new tiki man. Got it at the Aloha Swap Meet for only six dollahs. Couldn't pass it up. Next to him is an Aztec/Olmec/Mayan type decanter with five shot glasses that came from the Kailua Salvation Army for 3 bucks (I think). Sorry for the non-tiki!

My pride and joy pick up is the tiki lamp in the back behind the little blue guys. I see in the pic that you can't tell it's a lamp. The light socket/switch exits the center of the log just above where the pic cuts off. It appears to be pretty old and hand carved out of a single thick branch. It's awesome and was a real treat to find, especially after going to "Barney's" on Kapahulu where it would've been priced in the thousands. I found it at The Hunter in Kailua (freakin' awesome little antique store) and she only wanted $75. Mahalo!

A close up of that tiki I bought at the Aloha Festival. I obviously have a lot to learn about my new digital camera. :o

A close up of my prized tiki lamp. The cord and switch make me think it's fairly old.

A full frontal of same. I've gotta get an appropriately cool lamp shade for this guy.

I got tons of other great stuff but it's either new or non-tiki. Had a great, great time and me and my friend both plan on coming back soon. She got some cool stuff also but it was mostly non-tiki. Wish I knew of this site before going as we missed some cool things that I've since seen mentioned here. Did NOT go to "Tiki's" {sniff sniff} and really wish we did. :(

I'm gonna soon post some stuff I got antiquing yesterday here in Orlando; surprisingly it was a great tiki day. Not tonight tho...getting up really early tomorrow for the flea market...Columbus day and all.

Kono/Kevin

G
GECKO posted on Mon, Oct 13, 2003 3:54 AM

Kono,
I was just at da hunter about 2 weeks ago and seen the $75 tiki lamp. Almost wen get'um but I let it go. pretty crazy to see it pop up on TC 2 weeks later! great price! congrats

I just picked up a Tahitian Lanai mug up there yesterday.

T

I beleive we have just seen the world's first wooden tiki dildo! (1st pic)

K
Kono posted on Mon, Oct 13, 2003 6:20 PM

Hey Gecko, guess I just missed bumping into you! Thanks for passing on the lamp cuz it made my day to find it. You guys on "The Rock" (hey, I watch a lot of Hawaii Five-O) see stuff like that often?? Wish I was there to visit your booth at the swap meet. I didn't find much there that wasn't a new souvenir type gimmick.

On 2003-10-13 06:20, tikifish wrote:
I beleive we have just seen the world's first wooden tiki dildo! (1st pic)

Yikes, at 16" in length and two and a half in diameter I dunno. But I don't know much about that sort of thing...

A little practice and I'm getting better with my camera (read the manual...he he). Redid the pic of the tiki I got at the Aloha Festival.

K
Kono posted on Mon, Oct 13, 2003 6:45 PM

Dang! That pic looks much better on my computer, not so good here.

Here's Saturday's crop:

Got tired of going to thrift stores and finding nothing so we went to an antique store that we hadn't been to in a while. Not as cheap but actually found some stuff! Found a neat painting of Diamond Head and a rattan lamp perfect for my future tiki bar.

That tiki on the left was marked as being from Tahiti but who knows. On the bottom it has written "Tanga Loa." The little dude with the necklace was marked as being from Bora Bora and, appropriately enough, has "Bora Bora" carved on the back. These guys weren't too cheap.

These guys were really cheap. The two up front are wooden s/p shakers and the two in back are a mystery. Those tikis or totems have Chinese(?) or related script down the front. Most tikis I've ever found in one day in Florida.

Question: in this one antique store, there's this large gray or silver, foam type Moai that is a big tiki torch. It's maybe two foot high. On the bottom it says "Howard Fine (or "Kine??" working from memory) Studio 2002." Ever heard of it? I did a search and found nothing. They wanted $90 for it. I told 'em I'd have to research it a bit.

K
Kono posted on Mon, Oct 13, 2003 6:58 PM

OK, this will be it for me for a while. This morning went to an antique flea market. Didn't find too much. Got there at 7am and most of the vendors were still unpacking. My semi-trained eyes spotted a tiki mug off in the distance and I skeedaddled over to the table and grabbed it. Says $6 on the tag so I start fishing out the money. I ask the guy if he's got any more of "that kinda stuff." He says, "What, McCoy?" "No, tiki or Hawaiian stuff." He says, "This is a McCoy." and starts telling me all kinds of blah blah blah and I don't care and don't really know if he knows what he's talking about. I already had the money in my hand, why's he still giving me the sales pitch? Did McCoy make tiki mugs? No markings. It's got crazing but you have to look kind of hard to see it. I like it for six bucks.

The Polynesian Village salt and peppers cost a fiver and the swizzle stick says "Hawaiian Village" and has a tiki figure on the business end. Says "Hawaii in Tampa" on the back. Cool. Cost one thin dollar. I also got a suck 'em up hawaii shot glass that looked pretty old but forgot to put it in the pic. Got some other shot glasses too but they're not tiki.

Sweet Daddy Tiki,

You may want to check out this eBay Auction for a Killer Scorpion Bowl:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3248005493&category=29460&rd=1

Sweet!

Thanks for the heads up, vegas.

Unfortunately for me, if recent auctions are any indication, this baby is gonna go for a bundle.

Hows this for a lovely cheesecake maori girl, she has a clockwork motor and music box so when you wind her up she revolves and plays a tune.

I found her in this retro collectables store called "retrobillia",run by this old couple, who have packed the store with so much 60/70's ceramics that you can't move for danger of breaking stuff. In my opinion the store should have good tiki finding mana but after a year this is the first thing they've had.

A recent Tiki(?) find...

Its got some sort of real animal claws/quills/teeth of some type for its mouth, very demonic looking!

And a very authentic-looking Oceanic ciggie-butt!

S
SES posted on Tue, Oct 21, 2003 5:07 PM

On 2003-10-21 13:28, Traderpup wrote:
A recent Tiki(?) find...
Its got some sort of real animal claws/quills/teeth of some type for its mouth, very demonic looking!

And breasts?

So over the weekend I picked up at an estate sale two full bottles of Trader Vics Mai Tai mix and Scorpion mix from 1963, I just wondered if there is much a value to them besides looking very cool in our tiki room, just curious?

Really good day for vinyl at the Goodwill.
The white one at the bottom of the first pic is a Hawaii Calls.

Oh, yeah also got a Disney Sounds of the Haunted House, and a couple from Enoch Light, and some others just for the great cover art.

[ Edited by: purple jade on 2003-10-26 13:10 ]

[ Edited by: purple jade on 2003-10-26 13:14 ]

S

Other Worlds Other Sounds! Cool!

K
Kono posted on Sun, Oct 26, 2003 7:16 PM

On 2003-10-26 13:10, purple jade wrote:
Really good day for vinyl at the Goodwill.

Hell yeah... Outstanding. I haven't seen any Esquivel for quite some time. Good job.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 11539 replies