Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Tiki Finds

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 11,539 replies

I was there a year or 2 ago. Kinda of an adult Chuck-E-Cheese. Got the same mug.

Here's their link:
http://www.jekyllandhydeclub.com/home.htm

K

On 2008-01-26 14:41, Xndr du Sauvage wrote:

This little guy is maybe a souvenir for someone who didn't want a full mug?

That's a Westwood shot!
I recently discovered I had some similar ones.

That Orchids mold obviously devolved further. PsyTD, could you show that Fred Roberts mug from the side and from behind, too? (3 of the same views are very nice, but... :) )

Silverline, what a great find, that is the mold for THE prototypical Easter Island mug, how great to find out it is from 1963!

Thanks BigBro! On a Maori mug related note, I think the difference may be more in choice of glazes and freshness of the molds used. I have an early Orchids mug which I "think" is just as crisp and revealing as the Fred Roberts Company version. Maybe a side-by-side comparison is in order:

What do you think?

On 2008-01-26 15:28, Tikiwahine wrote:

On 2008-01-26 14:03, SilverLine wrote:
Went back to the estate sale that yielded the unfired Johnny Sens "Frankenstein" mugs in the hopes of finding molds. Success! Didn't find any molds for the Frankenstein mug (no surprise) but DID find the mold for the Duncan Moai! I'm stoked! Now off to the Creating Tiki forum to learn how to do this. I see dozens of Moai mugs in my future!

Wow, great find silverline! I can't wait to see your mug making adventures!

in the past, i have often found old duncan tiki molds on ebay....just type in duncan molds and check it out once in awhile.....alot of mom and pop ceramics shops have been going under over the past few years and they try to get rid of alot of their stock molds....here in chicago, i regularly search the shops out and see what molds they have....if they aren't selling them, it's usually pretty inexpensive to have them pour you some castings that you can even paint yourself and have them fire them......i have also found many 1950's/60's asian inspired molds from lamp bases to vases....cool stuff......

if you don't have the facilites to cast and fire your own, find one of these shops.....they will usually pour the mold and fire it for you and they charge peanuts to do it....(probably contributes to why they start to under!) they are all listed in your yellow pages under ceramics.

good luck!!

On 2008-01-26 17:59, bigbrotiki wrote:
That Orchids mold obviously devolved further. PsyTD, could you show that Fred Roberts mug from the side and from behind, too? (3 of the same views are very nice, but... :) )

Here you go...

I forgot I had a fourth one!

There you go!

PTD

On 2008-01-26 17:12, Kenike wrote:

On 2008-01-26 14:41, Xndr du Sauvage wrote:
This little guy is maybe a souvenir for someone who didn't want a full mug?

That's a Westwood shot!
I recently discovered I had some similar ones.

Ah, thanks! Well that's good to know, though these seem to be a little rough hewn to actually drink out of. I do like the looks of it.

On 2008-01-26 15:53, Tipsy McStagger wrote:
the jeckl and hyde mugs were made specifically for the restaurant in new york of the same name. (they may have been a chain)...they are not old, but the place is really cool with all sorts of monster movie stuff all around with working dioramas and displays.....

Thanks, after that I looked up another thread on the place. I suppose other places could have their name on the same mug.

Psycho, nice pics - good to get a little history on the knock-off qualities of the jekyll mug. : )

Great work PDT, thanks!

P
Paipo posted on Mon, Jan 28, 2008 1:50 AM

On 2008-01-25 20:57, bigbrotiki wrote:
I have several books on Maori art, but have found no exact match so far. Maybe someone else will have more luck...Paipo?

You probably have more books on Maori art than I do!
It looks more like an early 20th century souvenir piece in style than a genuine artifact to me - I wouldn't be surprised if there's a carving out there this was modelled from, but it's probably not one you'd find in an Oceanic or Maori art book...well at least that's what I thought when I first saw it.

But then there's this, which I've been meaning to post for ages:

This lamp went way over my budget (by about $500) and was plaster or more likely resin, about 12 inches tall. It's got lots of detail that is missing from the mug, so I am guessing it came first. Maybe one of these made its way to the US in a tourist's suitcase and ended up in the hands of a mug sculptor? There are so many beautiful table lamps here - I will have to post a thread on them one day. Maybe one day I will afford one too!

PS: I have a green Orchids R-1 and I love it. Easily one of my all-time favourite vintage mugs and the detail on mine is very crisp. They would sell very well in NZ...

PPS: still constantly in awe of PTD's neverending run of top-notch vintage scores. AAAIIIEEE!

MH

So this is reaaaaly stretching it a bit... I know there is really nothing polynesian, mid century, or for that matter attractive about a video game (except for my memories of the arcade late at night at the Mariott Waikoloa in the mid 80's), but I bought a "magic sword" arcade game this weekend for CHEAP.. as a toy for my theater room... (I can't help it I am a product of the 70/80's video game phenomenon) and I realized when I started playing it - there are Moai "statues" attacking you throughout the game!

Here is a picture of one...

and the side art for the game...

Hmmm... I wonder if I can face the cabinet it in bamboo....

[ Edited by: Matt Helm 2008-01-28 18:55 ]

Yowzah! The muthah! That's even betta than a picture from an art book. I still think though that there is so much authentic style and purpose to the piece, there must be a native original somewhere.

There must have been a golden age of tourist art in New Zealand, just like there was in other parts of Polynesia, where the more expensive items had some real quality to them, and did not look like nameless pieces of hacked wood. But then, these kind of pieces must have been of interest for the locals, too.

I wonder if that lamp base was from the same manufacturer than the two lamp bases that I photographed at Oceanic Arts ages ago:

They were too expensive for me then, and eventually they sold...I still mourn them. O.A. also had a complete chess set from the same manufacturer. They were made out some hard, heavy, solid resin.

[ Edited by: TIKI DAVID 2008-01-29 08:57 ]

These two items were a birthday gift but I thought I'd post them. This first is a huge HIP Original. 12" tall the biggest I have seen. I was wondering if HIP made a whole line of these big figures? The Hawaiian Inn mug "paddle sucker" has a cool green yellow glaze. You could make a whole hobby just by collecting the different glazes for this mug style. Thanks

Love that paddle sucker. In regards to those previous posts: Talk about a screwed up Maori concept, it is hard to discern any Maori style in this mug's design. Even more "off" than the Tiki Bob Maori.

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2008-01-30 17:43 ]

On 2008-01-29 15:53, uncle trav wrote:
I was wondering if HIP made a whole line of these big figures?

The four in the middle are all HIPs; the one on the left,Polyart; and the one on the right is a CocoJoe's.

Buzzy Out!

On 2008-01-28 23:29, bigbrotiki wrote:

I wonder if that lamp base was from the same manufacturer than the two lamp bases that I photographed at Oceanic Arts ages ago: They were made out some hard, heavy, solid resin.

Here's a few more from that same company, and a couple more from two other similar companies:

Buzzy Out!

Nice archive, Buzzy!

TT

On 2008-01-29 17:11, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:

On 2008-01-28 23:29, bigbrotiki wrote:

I wonder if that lamp base was from the same manufacturer than the two lamp bases that I photographed at Oceanic Arts ages ago: They were made out some hard, heavy, solid resin.

Here's a few more from that same company, and a couple more from two other similar companies:

Buzzy Out!

I know where there are similar items to the top two pics for sale, actually the second pic is identical to one of em... they want $50 each for em which is too much for me also because i dont collect NZ stuff... but i might get em if someone wants em... maybe i should get more NZ/maori stuff and bring it over at oasis time...

T

Hey Buzzy, Those are some very nice NZ pieces! You sure don't see some of them too often. I can only find the wood carvings here which are very cool but the warriors, etc. are really nice!

Here's a couple of things from last week:

On the right is a nice old carving from Bora Bora. I like that it still has it's old shell necklace and it's simple carved design.
In the center is one of the ceramic Trader Vic Barrels used for the "Famous Hot Rum Batter". On the label is a Emeryville, Ca. address and a 1946 date but that is probably just the copr. date.
And last, on the right, is a common Tiki Mug (Although a cool design!) this one from a event called "Escape To Hawaii 2002" which was sponsored by some financial companies. These mugs can be found with many different events/locations on them and can still be customized for you on a current website. TabooDan

M

Last weekend, I found this beautiful engraving of a Maori war canoe race from the April 29, 1871 issue of Harper's Weekly. Artist is G. Durand.

Full-size scan can be viewed here.

8T

This was originally posted by ZuluMagoo in a Marketplace thread last month. I wanted to put it here in collecting also because many people do not always visit all of the various forums and may have missed this. That is the begining of the story. Due to the unearthing of this old postcard,a previously unknown tiki location has been found!
A roadtrip was made and much more was learned about this making it a pretty good find indeed. For the rest of the story(so far), check out the Locating Tiki thread here:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=27235&forum=2&16

On 2008-01-25 23:49, ZuluMagoo wrote:
I thought I remembered having a postcard for a place out in the boonies of Missouri and found this one. It is the King Kamehameha Tiki House in Sedalia, Missouri

This postcard is indeed a stellar example of urban archeology, of how ONE discarded object can lead to previously unknown manifestations of Tiki culture, and: That it still can happen to this day. The Sedalia Tiki House is is a prime example of what I see as so endearing in Polynesian Pop: That INDIVIDUALS took the inspiration from other Tiki manifestations and built THEIR OWN version of the South Seas Shangri-La, motivating feats like dredging out a lake and building an island.

This place was created in a vacuum of sorts, without O.A. or Witco coming into play, and the interior might not seem spectacular, but so many elements like the A-frame architecture, the torches and the unique metal cut outs are classic Polynesian pop. It existed under our radar until that ONE TIKI FIND.

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2008-02-05 13:44 ]

timing is everything.....i picked up 4 of these on ebay.....i happened to tune in at the right moment to see an auction that was posted minutes before i came across it with 15 of these lamps with a buy-it-now of just $19.95 each!.....i immediately bought 3.....went back 5 minutes later and got one more. someone else bought 9 right off the bat and the last 2 went seconds later.......it was definately a rare" ebay moment".....

all were original and in really good shape...the shades had no holes or tears....

these lamps were similiar to the old lamps at hala kahiki....same pot metal double sided tiki figure in a copper color.....the seller claimed they were from a recently closed tiki bar in springfield, ohio.......

[ Edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2008-02-05 20:36 ]

If he had 15 lamps initially, it makes sense that they were from a restaurant originally. The price is a good deal considering that Orchids of Hawaii was selling these wholesale for 35.- bucks in 1992:

It's great you got the whole set up, the shade and the torch part are often missing when these pop up nowadays

T

So it's been a while since I have posted my finds so I thought that I would show a few new things.

Kind of sad Bali Hai matchbooks but they needed a home with other tikis, note the helpful map to the Bali Hai inside the matchbooks. A nice big arrow to help you find it & a new one for me, Hu Ke Lau in Salem, New Hampshire.

Clifton's, Bob Lee's Islander, Trader Vic's Boston & a funny one, the China Dragon Motor Inn.

A couple of views of the Bali Hai, San Diego & a yummy spread at the The Warehouse.

Tourist Junk!

Filslash told me that he thinks this salt & pepper shaker might have been a Boy Scout project? Both are marked B33 on the bottom & pepper was included!

Got some other things but that's all for now...

Tikisgrl

TT

"Filslash told me that he thinks this salt & pepper shaker might have been a Boy Scout project? Both are marked B33 on the bottom & pepper was included!"

I really dont think are boy scout jobs.. i found the same pair here in Australia,..(salt included) pretty sure they a souveneir from somewhere

B

[ Edited by: Benzart 2008-02-08 14:32 ]

B

Silverline, Your Orchids mug has Really much better detail and It's Crisp and Clean everywhere. Nice!

P
Paipo posted on Wed, Feb 6, 2008 8:24 PM

On 2008-02-06 18:28, Tiki Trav wrote:
"Filslash told me that he thinks this salt & pepper shaker might have been a Boy Scout project? Both are marked B33 on the bottom & pepper was included!"

I really dont think are boy scout jobs.. i found the same pair here in Australia,..(salt included) pretty sure they a souveneir from somewhere

I've seen a pair in one of the most out-of-the-way junk shops in NZ too - I passed on em though. Made in the Phillipines for Hawaii maybe?

Here's a few recent pics from our tiki hunting adventures. This is our first tapa cloth picked up for $16.

Close Up

A few misc items

Happy hunting!

LDT

C
Chub posted on Thu, Feb 7, 2008 3:14 PM

A few ashtrays from my collection. Anyone heard of the Ocean View Inn?

T
Tattoo posted on Thu, Feb 7, 2008 4:14 PM

Nice ashtrays Chub!

Been going through my mug collection and have always been puzzled by this standard looking Kon Tiki Mug. On the bottom within the Otagiri stamp is what I presume is a restaurant stamp for a place called '2T's". Not sure...

Anyone have a guess what "2T's" might stand for?

Spotted these at Value Village today:

3 Orchids of Hawaii Japanese restaurant mugs that someone had painted over. They were quite tacky. I mean that literally - they were still sticky to the touch. Even funnier than the paint job was the price tag - $24.99 each! :lol:

-Sweet Daddy T.
Because crap doesn't buy itself.

My new blog

[ Edited by: Sweet Daddy Tiki 2008-02-07 18:14 ]

D

w00t! $25 bucks.

T

On 2008-02-07 15:14, Chub wrote:

News article in the Honolulu Star-Bulletin, August 5, 2005: Kona’s historic, storied Ocean View Inn to close

M

Nice find DB!

C
Chub posted on Fri, Feb 8, 2008 2:38 PM

On 2008-02-08 14:15, tikipedia wrote:

On 2008-02-07 15:14, Chub wrote:

News article in the Honolulu Star-Bulletin, August 5, 2005: Kona’s historic, storied Ocean View Inn to close

Thanks for the link Tikipedia. Anyone know if the place had anything tiki in it?

Aside from the items in the first picture, all of the other items were found because of this listing:

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/clt/565750049.html

I paid a little more than I normally would, but it was definitely interesting to see a ten-year collector liquidating his stuff. Shout out to alohacurrent, who along with my wife Ami, were my back-up and bodyguards. Hey Dean, if you see this, you bought some pretty common stuff dude!

Week start out pretty slow, Stockton Islander bucket mug and Coco Joe's Lono tiki.

Trader Vic's Statler Hilton Boston Mass menu.

Marriot's Kona Kai menu.

Luau Miami Beach Florida Dinner and Drink menus.

Kahiki Dinner menu.

Hawaiian Inn mug.

Shorter Sun God mug, unmarked.

Freaky lookin Tiki Bob, unmarked.

Kowloon Saugus, Mass Hula Girl mug.

Strikow decantur.

Green and gold Okolehhao decantur.

Large Coco Joe's wall plaque.

Kona Kai plate.

Jean Pierre de Tahiti mug

dogbytes, nice Menehune find!

O.K. I did enough damage to this week, see you after the Trader Vic's warehouse sale!

P.S. The seller's name is Tom, he still has some stuff!

Psycho Tiki D (I know I am, cry me a river, build me a bridge AND get over it)!

[ Edited by: Psycho Tiki D 2008-02-08 16:32 ]

HOK

On 2008-02-06 20:27, Lucy Diamond wrote:
Here's a few recent pics from our tiki hunting adventures. A few misc items

Hope this makes you smile when you sleep...:lol:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=230218150288&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=013

Aloha, Freddie

Found this lamp.

This was falling apart and needed to be rewired, which I did yesterday. Cleaned up to nearly new.

Made from raffia and bamboo, very old school wiring and electrical components (replaced the old wiring and swag chain).

Anyone seen one like this before?

Thanks,

PTD

Hope this makes you smile when you sleep...:lol:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=230218150288&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=013

Aloha, Freddie

OMG....I thought I paid too much at $15. I guess they really wanted it!

LDT

Is a mug from a Chinese restaurant Tiki? And can it be called Chiki? :P

My recent finds have unearthed some Chinese mugs. Two are snake mugs from the Hilton International Singapore. The hats that the snakes wear have a straw hole. A cursory Google check did not unearth anything about these mugs.

I also found a Chinese dude mug from Peking Palace Restaurant. The 619 area code is a tip as to the date of this mug. 619 was introduced to northern San Diego county in 1982, and was later broken out into 760 in around 1996. So this mug likely dates from that period. The Peking Palace is still around in Oceanside

Also picked up six Orchids mugs for $4.00.

TT

On 2008-02-08 14:07, dogbytes wrote:
w00t! $25 bucks.

now that is a great score!

LT

On 2008-02-10 18:08, tikipedia wrote:
Is a mug from a Chinese restaurant Tiki? And can it be called Chiki? :P

My recent finds have unearthed some Chinese mugs. Two are snake mugs from the Hilton International Singapore. The hats that the snakes wear have a straw hole. A cursory Google check did not unearth anything about these mugs.

I also found a Chinese dude mug from Peking Palace Restaurant. The 619 area code is a tip as to the date of this mug. 619 was introduced to northern San Diego county in 1982, and was later broken out into 760 in around 1996. So this mug likely dates from that period. The Peking Palace is still around in Oceanside

Also picked up six Orchids mugs for $4.00.

Did you find those at the Oceanside swap-meet?

On 2008-02-10 19:26, LOL Tiki wrote:

No, I found them at three different thrift stores in SD county.

I've never found anything at the Oceanside swap-meet. It seems that swapmeet is almost exclusively for vendors from Mexico providing south-of-the-border consumer goods, and car parts. Escondido also has a swap meet as well, but it to has never yielded anything good either.

LT

On 2008-02-10 22:05, tikipedia wrote:

On 2008-02-10 19:26, LOL Tiki wrote:

No, I found them at three different thrift stores in SD county.

I've never found anything at the Oceanside swap-meet. It seems that swapmeet is almost exclusively for vendors from Mexico providing south-of-the-border consumer goods, and car parts. Escondido also has a swap meet as well, but it to has never yielded anything good either.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I've never found anything at the Oceanside or Escondido swap-meets either. The way Escondido's set up, it's not so much a swap-meet as it is a gray-market outlet catering to local day-laborers with questionable documentation; I'd be surprised to find anything there.

Interesting spelling of Rancho Bernordo. :wink:

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 11539 replies