Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Tiki Finds

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 11,539 replies

Sixteen days of company over the past month has left little time for hunting. I did manage to pick up a few items though...

Early Trader Dick's Moai mugs with concave bottoms, all still have their gold foil OMC stickers!

Hawaiian Village, Naniloa, Surf Rider, Waikiki Biltmore and Coco Palms Hotels matchbooks.

Breaking rank from vintage, I bought the Fugu bowls from a local collector. He threw the little guy in the middle in for free!

A pair of hurricane glasses from the Tonga Room in San Francisco.

Vintage "The Fabulous Don Ho" program souvenir.

Sam's Seafood menu and insert. Anyone know what year this was from?

Non-tiki El Cid's Sparks, Nevada mug, made by Daga of Hawaii!

That is it for now, see you soon!

PTD

B

Ouch! I hope the spikes don't impale anyone using them!

On 2008-06-09 13:38, TIKI DAVID wrote:
they are squirt guns.

B

PTD - I hate to say this but when I first scrolled down where the picture of the fugu mugs are, my first thought was (regarding the little statue) "A Tiki dildo?!" - yeah - I'm warped like that!

I never, NEVER find stuff at thrift stores.

For some ODD reason.....luck was had today.

Did I get anything good?

[ Edited by: RevBambooBen 2008-06-09 18:21 ]

BK

OK, folks. I haven't posted on Tiki Finds in a long time &, quite frankly, I'm ashamed of myself. This is my favorite part of TC. I love seeing what everyone finds out there in the wild, even if it's common. I'm going to try to catch up, a little at a time. I will start with my trip to Vegas from November.

I love Vegas & can't wait to see Lee's new & improved room at Charleston.

P.S.: PTD, you're my idol!

On 2008-06-04 16:37, beadtiki wrote:

On 2008-06-04 16:34, TIKI DAVID wrote:
you love treasure craft?

Why? You got a problem with that?

TRYING THIS AGAIN....., if you love treasure craft, i am going to be reduceing my collection in a few weeks,once i go through all the boxes. lots of (common and not so common) mugs,coco joes and other 'cocojoe like ' resins, witco and TREASURE CRAFT,lots of treasure craft. i will post(with pics) when the time comes. if anyone is interested.

B

TD - I would love to see your Treasure Craft and others. Thanks for not holding a grudge too long (I try to get over these incidents as soon as possible.) Damn internet doesn't allow for inflection of any kind.

Here's a few of the things that helped me cure the winter blues.
A few Bali Hai items:

My finds from my January birthday antique store run:

A couple of nice items from my buddy's trip to Hawaii:

More finds to come.

[ Edited by: Big Kahuna 2008-06-10 19:09 ]

Found this little grouping of bamboo handled mugs at a thrift store today...minutes after I claimed on never finding any mugs out in the wild. Things seem to work like that sometimes. As a sidenote: this Salvation Army is maybe 3.5 miles from the Tiki Farm warehouse, but it's the first time I've ever found any mugs there (and they were only $1.40 a piece!)

Just picked up this shelf today.. about 19" diam.. not sure if it's old or not though...

Beachbumz-If you submit a close up pic of a side shot and the back, I should
be able to tell you its new or old.How much did you pay for it?

On 2008-06-12 10:24, 1961surf wrote:
Beachbumz-If you submit a close up pic of a side shot and the back, I should
be able to tell you its new or old.How much did you pay for it?

I paid $45 off craiglist..
thanks

For sure a cheap knock-off. Why don't you let me take it off your hands so it won't junk-up your place? :wink:
Great score man!
Aloha,
:tiki:

looks good enough to hang,but not vintage.see the little nail holes on the back? this used to be a base for a chair ,the kind that rocked and swiviled. another thing is the ragged cuts with the stringy material on the edge whoever did this did not bother to clean up his work. but , use it ,all rattan furniture is hand made.this piece looks fine,just not vintage.

Found these three amigos today...

Daga Hawaii Eyeless mugs!

PTD

I agree.The rattan is vintage , but not originally made as a rounder.
The mahogany shelves I believe were made a little thicker on the original
ones as well.Still looks good and will display your goodies well.
Mahalo,
Trader Bill

C
Chub posted on Thu, Jun 12, 2008 6:12 PM

I originally posted a pic of this Tiki in the "Tiki in your neighborhood" thread. Well, I decided to go back to the house where this was today and see if I could talk the owner into selling it. So, after a knock on the door and $65.00 exchanged, I'm now the owner. The Tiki is 4' tall and is carved from palm wood. Looks pretty old, but not sure how old. Paint looks old as well and is coming off in many places. Anyone recognize where this came from? Here's a link to the "Tiki in your neighborhood" thread and new pics I took after I got it home today.
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=24456&forum=1&start=30&hilite=neighborhood

[ Edited by: Chub 2008-06-12 18:12 ]

H

Chub, this a nice piece, I am jealous. In the mortal words of Grog, "I like".

T

Wow, just wait until the real owner comes home and finds out their housekeeper sold their heirloom tiki for 65 clams :wink: Just kidding, sweet score you made there!

I found these at the local st vincent de paul and salvation army today. Normally I'm not a record guy, but after that much music for $2.80 is hard to resist. It sounds awesome too. I just need an amp for my record player and I'll be killing it!

and I found the most classic exotica album of all time...

KON TIKI PARTY CRUISE!

Nothing screams tiki like Elton John in the Caribbean!

havent posted in a while but here goes belly full of mai tai i went to funhauser decor today and was extremley pleased great little shop to cure your tiki itch with fun local art aswell localy we dont get large carvings here just coco joes mugs / shirts tourist stuff well he's got great bars made by taboo dan and wall plaques aswell i purchased a 3 foot tiki pole witch i ve beenn searching for something like this now i want to go bigger i also purchased some tiki farm mugs aswell as the mai tai wich i am enjoying while i type!
a double sided tiki bar sign my wife brought back from vegas

dynasty is making these japanese mugs they were $2 each i thought they looked cool
the two o

n the end are my new ones

new coco joes and frank sherman

This was all today...

Well, at least he has a friend to play with!

Bye~

PTD

love the andy williams album....in fact i hopped on over to ebay, found 20 or so of them listed and picked one up in mint condition for a song.....gonna look good in my monkey man carved frame....

On 2008-06-13 14:51, Tipsy McStagger wrote:
love the andy williams album....in fact i hopped on over to ebay, found 20 or so of them listed and picked one up in mint condition for a song.....gonna look good in my monkey man carved frame....

Saw two today myself...is it a pretty good album?

PTD

The Andy Williams album isn't bad...super mellow crooner/orchestration hawaiian vibe. I wish I liked him more, for the sheer fact that there's 5 to 10 Andy Williams albums at every thrift store I go to. I like the exotica stuff more for my bar though, just as a personal preference.

Here's the rest of my winter finds:

A few mugs. Nothing special.

A couple of Coco Joe's. Note the original pen!

Neat pair of S&Ps

Couple of Confucious mugs from China Blossom with a coupla chips. Not bad.

Marwal boy & girl severed heads to match my Marwal wahine.

Very nice Lefton wahine.
Stay tuned! The Spring has been really good to me & those finds are next!

Friday the 13th has been lucky for me. I went to an estate sale during my lunch break today and scored the Tretchikoff green lady print for $12.00. (The swag lamp and the Mr & Mrs Potato Head set came to another $12.)

Great scores, Sabu!

H

Sabu, I love that swag lamp.

On 2008-06-13 14:34, Psycho Tiki D wrote:
This was all today...

Well, at least he has a friend to play with!

Bye~

PTD

These are great finds PTD...I am curious about this style Marquesan Tiki since aquiring a wooden grouping of three of them a year or so ago. I think that what I found was a lamp base carved by Leroy at Oceanic Arts years ago. Any thoughts?

Swamp

Error!

[ Edited by: Big Kahuna 2008-06-14 22:13 ]

Let's try this again.
I've been trying to hit more flea markets & antique stores this Spring in search of Tiki. Made a side trip on the way home from a birthday party & found this coconut. A serviceman carved GUAM 7-26-45. I think this is my earliest piece of Poly Pop.

My big Brimfield scores. Two Coco Joe's & a Coconut monkey.

A couple of neat items & some hula figures from my favorite antique store:

More mugs from my favorite spot:

I'll be back with more. It's been a good Spring!

Hit a small antique show & came up with these:
A nice OMC bowl I didn't have:

A great calendar page. Will look good in a bamboo frame:

And a great souvenir photo from Club Bali in D.C.:

T

That coconut is awesome! And I'm a bit jealous of Sabu's swag lamp...

Poked around a little antique show for awhile & found nothing, until. I noticed a few bullet planters and some mid-century kitchen stuff at this couple's table. Then I saw a couple of coconut mugs & a set of Hawaii S&P's. Yahoo! Then the girl says, "I've got a lot more Tiki stuff. come back in a little while." So' I set aside the mugs & S&P's & take a walk. When I came back, I scored big time.
Nice carved Tiki:

A set of 4 Orchids R6 Bamboo Mugs:

A Luau Hut mug & 2 Trader Vic's Coconuts:

A set of Kahiki S&P's & a kool Outrigger Hawaii Shooter:

A bundle of Hilton Hawaii swizzles & an awesome plate from Pacific Hut, I guess there were 2 locations in Brockton & Burlington, Mass, but I never knew.:

And my all-time greatest find:

This couple said they decided to have a Tiki/Luau wedding & accumulated stuff as they did shows. After the wedding, they started selling the stuff off. They didn't care about it anymore. I couldn't bear to ask what they had already sold. My total outlay: $105.00! A very good day!

K

Dude - some amazing gems in there!

I've never seen that Outrigger Hawaii Shooter - anything written on the bottom?

[ Edited by: Koolau 2008-06-15 10:49 ]

T

Big Kahuna, you have certainly taken my finders crown away. Nice Scores! I bow to your superior shopping abilities!

Tikisgrl

Didnt find much of anything, even after 6 thrift stores, just this little mug. No marking on the bottom, maybe it was a custom for an individual?

But....although not tiki, I picked up this marlin this weekend. I've been wanting one for a while now.

Not much on the Father's Day run but, I did score this Hawaii Kai mug that I didn't have:

As far as the Outrigger Shooter goes, it has nothing on the bottom.
Tikisgrl, I just got lucky, your crown is safe. For now!

Hope all you dads out there had a happy father's day :) My family gave me a few goodies:

The t-shirt is cool, it's black with gloss black transfer images that form a skull/ tiki face. It's interesting because you don't notice it right away. They also got me a couple of cool pillows with a tiki-pattern barkscloth material on them for our outdoor butterfly chairs, the windchime hanging off the back of the chair (with a neat, albeit fake roped fishing float at the top) and the 'boo patio lights in front that will go over the tiki bar. We had a pool party yesterday and a couple of the guests brought the nice coconut mugs sitting to the left.

My camera doesn't like dark wood apparently. The awesome little tiki statue and wall shield are Bosko carvings. I also bought the puffer fish from him (will shortly be converted into a lamp) and the awesome Moai bowl. The 3 mugs are all from Tiki Farm and were birthday presents from the wifey :)

K

On 2008-06-15 16:05, kahalakruzer wrote:
Didnt find much of anything, even after 6 thrift stores, just this little mug. No marking on the bottom, maybe it was a custom for an individual?

Those are from a souvenir shop, most likely somewhere in Hawaii. You can find them with all the most common English names with the Hawaiian translation. They also have them for mother, father, grandmother, etc. That's a cool find if your name is really Barbara!

Pronounced keh-NEE-kay

[ Edited by: Kenike 2008-06-16 11:47 ]

Sunday was slow and void of tiki, but here are some of the items I found...

Treasure Craft "Hang Ten" with "Hawaii Tiki Isle" on the back and some hula girl and uke player cake toppers.

Hapa-Haole Hulas-The Kahauanu Lake Trio.

From The Start-Maile Aloha Singers.

Dreams of Old Hawaii-The Waiakea Hawaiians.

Hawaiian Country-Melveen Leed.

The Magic Ukulele of Roy Smeck.

Four 78 RPM records. Two Island Recording Studio with Singing Bamboo and Puamana on one and E Kuu Lei and Mele Hula on the other, 49th State Hawaii Record with Fireman Hula on one side and Manu O-O on the other and Wakiki Records with Lahela Kuu Pokii on one side and Hookipa Park Hula on the other.

Perhaps on of the most unusual finds I have come across is this October 1949 Profitable Hobbies magazine which features a cover with Eli Hedley and a story entitled "First Family of Beachcombing". The article has eight pictures and a couple of pages about Eli and his family and highlights the upcoming book by his daughter Marilyn to be published in Fall of 1950 "Daddy is a Beachcomber". Pretty cool, although no mention of tiki anywhere in the article.

That's all folks...

PTD

Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.