Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Tiki Finds

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 11,539 replies

Flounder... go marine on that tank... its not too hard... especially with hardy fish... Damsel fish... puffer, or even a triggerfish... I've been running a 20 gal reef (without inverts or corals) with a HummuHummu Trigger for the last 4 years... before that I had a full blown reef in a 20 high...
Granted I have a good filter... 400 gph Marineland Emperor ($180) but the tank almost takes care of itself once established... just keep water in it and check the salinity. You could probably get that going saltwater for $250 -$300...

Go to a good aquarium store... probably easy in Florida... they'll talk you through it... Colors on marine fish are unmatched by most freshwater fish... and coral in that tank will look sweet!

S
SES posted on Mon, Nov 17, 2003 1:02 AM

On 2003-11-14 18:12, GECKO wrote:
TraderPup,
Great price on da Shawnee head vase!!! if you eva find another one for the same price please get it and I will pay you for it plus shipping. I've been looking for one.

Johnny Dollar,
Your last pic is a book end. I have the same exact identical set which answers your questions about da hole on da bottom. Those holes are where they were attached to da machine to be mechanically carved.

Mahalo, GECKO! Verie interesting... J$

E

On 2003-11-16 12:58, Traderpup wrote:
Sunday finds at the flea market:
30" life preserver, 3 Toby mugs, large lantern, and huge glass float! (for size reference, that is a quarter placed on the net, center of float!)

3 Toby mugs? THREE TOBY MUGS? You are a God of thrifting!

:)
em

I think I'm going to go with fresh water for the tank. I have enough of a hard time keeping myself healthy let alone a mess of salt water fish.

Hey Kono, I think I may have been at your favorite antique store yesterday. The one dealer has about 8 to 10 tiki mugs. To pricey for me though. All the mugs were around $15-$20 a piece. 2 Trader Vic coconuts, Kon Tiki S&P, Al Harrington mug, 3 or 4 more mugs...Sound about right? If its not the same place and your interested I'll tell you where they are.
Half the battle is finding them at a good price. Don't like buying mugs that have already been found unless their cheap.

On 2003-11-16 15:38, Kono wrote:
How come nobody told me there's a Hilo Hattie in Orlando??

Also for anyone in Orlando that's interested. There's an apartment complex on S Conway near Curry Ford Rd called Mai Kai Apartments. They don't look too tiki except for the big Moai that sits out front. Someday I'll have to snap a pic.

Kono,
I just heard about Hilo Hatties when I went to the one in the Alladin hotel in Las Vegas, but haven't gone to check it out.

Defitnitely get a photo of those apartments. Are they new or old? I have never heard of them.
KG

On 2003-11-17 13:45, FLOUNDERart wrote:
I think I'm going to go with fresh water for the tank. I have enough of a hard time keeping myself healthy let alone a mess of salt water fish.

I don't know squat about fish, but if you go with fresh water you should think about stocking it with Japanese Koi. Some of the old tiki bars have Koi fish ponds. The Aku Tiki Inn has a Koi pond and a little bridge you walk over to go inside the restaurant.
KG

On 2003-11-17 14:39, Kailuageoff wrote:

I don't know squat about fish, but if you go with fresh water you should think about stocking it with Japanese Koi.

Don't get koi -- they're small and cute when you buy them but they will eventually get too large for the tank. Also, you'll go broke feeding them!

--cindy, keeper of three freshwater aquariums

Come to think of it, Koi do get pretty big. Are they edible?

On 2003-11-17 15:11, Kailuageoff wrote:
Come to think of it, Koi do get pretty big. Are they edible?

I don't know, but do you really want to eat your own pet(s)?

[ Edited by: cynfulcynner on 2003-11-17 15:38 ]

K
Kono posted on Mon, Nov 17, 2003 6:24 PM

On 2003-11-17 13:45, FLOUNDERart wrote:
Hey Kono, I think I may have been at your favorite antique store yesterday. The one dealer has about 8 to 10 tiki mugs. To pricey for me though. All the mugs were around $15-$20 a piece. 2 Trader Vic coconuts, Kon Tiki S&P, Al Harrington mug, 3 or 4 more mugs...Sound about right? If its not the same place and your interested I'll tell you where they are.
Half the battle is finding them at a good price. Don't like buying mugs that have already been found unless their cheap.

Yeah, that's the place. Where there any wood tikis or did someone buy them all up?? That's the place I got the 14" Tahitian tiki and the Bora Bora tiki. I thought it was kinda expensive but I'm starting to think $30 for that 14incher (no jokes please) was pretty good. Last time I was there, there was a carved wooden Hawaiian bowl supported by two figures and a Cook Island tiki. I kinda wanted to go back and get one or both of them but that's the way it goes if they're gone. Twice I've been since that dealer started and he seems to get new stuff in on a regular basis (well, twice anyway). Only had about five mugs two weeks ago. Didja buy anything??

Yeah, those mugs are way too much. I got my two Al Harrington's for a buck each at Savers on OBT. All those mugs I can get cheaper on ebay incl shipping.

Kailuageoff: The Mai Kai apts are apparently old. See Hot Lava's post above, he remembers them from 20yrs ago.

Are koi edible?? They're carp so if you think carp's edible...(some people do) :D

I didn't see any wood tikis. The hawaiian bowl was still there, it was the only thing I even thought about buying. I bought alot of stuff in there a few years back when I was living in Orlando but it was much cheaper. Do you have a big collection of mugs? Maybe we could trade if you want. I come into Orlando one or two times a week.

I forgot about the Mai Kai apartments, I think the only thing they have is the Moai in the front.

K
Kono posted on Mon, Nov 17, 2003 7:19 PM

On 2003-11-17 18:32, FLOUNDERart wrote:
I bought alot of stuff in there a few years back when I was living in Orlando but it was much cheaper. Do you have a big collection of mugs? Maybe we could trade if you want. I come into Orlando one or two times a week.

I only have low rent commoner type mugs. The Bali Hai is my only respectable mug and ya ain't gettin' it. :wink: The rest are Leilanis and Orchids, other common types and new ones. But I love 'em all! No Shags or limited editions or even any bar mugs (except the Bali Hai and some TV coconuts). I don't understand why I haven't found a Hawaiian Inn mug since Daytona's so close. Ah well...they're all in Georgia I guess.

You can still find cheap stuff at that antique mall. I just got a CcJoe's ashtray for two bucks and two weird little wood tikis for two bucks each and an oil on canvas of Diamondhead for $20. Some dealers are much more reasonable than others.

I've been needing to head over to your neck of the woods. I haven't been in quite some time. There's a quirky little cheap antique store I like and believe it or not, I've had some good luck at the Salvation Army over there. It'll probably have to wait till after Thanksgiving though.

L

On 2003-11-16 12:58, Traderpup wrote:
Sunday finds at the flea market:

30" life preserver, 3 Toby mugs, large lantern, and huge glass float! (for size reference, that is a quarter placed on the net, center of float!)

Hey Pup, did you get those at the LB Flea market? I went Sunday and saw those giant floats $120!!!! I hope you talked them down.

I found a hanging rattan chair with stand $40.00 (down from $75.00-end of day-he didn't want to drag it home) Not in the best shape and had been painted dark brown. I planned on painting my existing one a dark brown as it is outside and the paint would help protect it from the weather. So I'll paint them both and the better one will go in my living room with the stand. The dark brown will go with my dark Witco and rattan couch.
I also scored a real leopard fur purse $13.00 I don't think she knew it was real, but I know my furs, plus it's illegal to sell real leopard. (Yea, yea, I know it's not PC but I have other real vintage exotic pieces from long before I was here!) and a sweet leopard print jacket. Found some good deals on large shells for my almost life size mermaid I scored at an estate sale. She was in real bad shape but I used left over spray paint and she's beautiful now. I'll post pics soon!

PUP,If you were there did you see the tornado? I kid you not, my friend said, "look at all the swirling trash" so I turned around to see about 5 large handled shopping bags and a bunch of peanuts swirling around in the sky. It touched down and picked up a venders easy-up a few feet, put it back crooked and swirled off with some more bags! One of the strangest things I've ever seen, people were talking about it the rest of the day.

L

On 2003-11-17 14:57, cynfulcynner wrote:

On 2003-11-17 14:39, Kailuageoff wrote:

I don't know squat about fish, but if you go with fresh water you should think about stocking it with Japanese Koi.

Don't get koi -- they're small and cute when you buy them but they will eventually get too large for the tank. Also, you'll go broke feeding them!

--cindy, keeper of three freshwater aquariums

I say get koi! Koi only grow to their environment, they will not out grow a tank. You just can't get too many fish (a rule for any kind of fish) Koi won't hide like tropical fresh water fish, they don't require a heater, they are clean and don't need a complicated filter system. You can buy food in bulk (seasonal food, growth food, and general purpose food) They beg like dogs and will come to eat out of your hand eventually. I only feed mine a small handful every few days.

I have and outdoor 80 gal. tank with 4 Koi and 3 cray fish (who clean up after the koi) My oldest, big daddy, is about 7 and 6-7" long. He has lived through a move and an over-feeding pet sitter (caused a disease which killed most-I gave them salt baths to heal)

As a scuba diver, I will not keep a salt water tank. I attended a coral reef study on an island in the Bahamas and learned that some salt water fish will not breed in captivity so they are harvested off the reef, sometimes with the use of explosives which stunn the fish for collection. Although beautiful, tanks are also hard to start and very expensive.

When I fill my indoor tank, I plan on getting nothing but koi and a blue cray fish.
Good luck with your tank and sweet find!

On 2003-11-18 10:36, laney wrote:

Hey Pup, did you get those at the LB Flea market? I went Sunday and saw those giant floats $120!!!! I hope you talked them down.

I found a hanging rattan chair with stand $40.00 (down from $75.00-end of day-he didn't want to drag it home).....

PUP,If you were there did you see the tornado? I kid you not, my friend said, "look at all the swirling trash" so I turned around to see about 5 large handled shopping bags and a bunch of peanuts swirling around in the sky. It touched down and picked up a venders easy-up a few feet, put it back crooked and swirled off with some more bags! One of the strangest things I've ever seen, people were talking about it the rest of the day.

I'm a faithful attendee of the montly LB flea market...!

I got a price on the float that I'm happy with... those really large floats are very hard to come by, and they weren't the cheap thin glass ones with jute twine netting. Heavy (30lbs) hand blown blue glass, with Japanese makers mark on the 'button', this float was meant for the fishing industry, not a repro for decoration. That seller only makes it out to LB a couple times a year.

I saw the hanging basket chair, and pondered it for a moment, but passed it up. At least it went to a good home!

I did miss the whirling column of trash though.....

DZ

Damn! The ONE time I skip the LB swap meet, such adventures and great buys: Tornados n' flying trash! Floats n' chairs! Purses n' lanterns! Nice scores all around, peeps!

That'll teach me the value of sleeping in on a Sunday; I'll be there bright and early next month, let me tell you...

--Doctor Z, (relatively) faithful attendee...

C

I'm insanely jealous of that Maoi sake set.

So much for the commandments.

S
SES posted on Wed, Nov 19, 2003 12:25 AM

Koi live to be 200 years old and get HUGE.
It would be cruel to put them in a small environment like that.
They are really beautiful and friendly.

L
laney posted on Wed, Nov 19, 2003 4:13 AM

On 2003-11-19 00:25, SES wrote:
Koi live to be 200 years old and get HUGE.
It would be cruel to put them in a small environment like that.
They are really beautiful and friendly.

Like I said, Koi grow only to their environment! It is o.k to keep them in an aquarium, and they only live to 200 in exceptional cases.

Here's a link to a Koi fact sheet- get the facts. There is a koi farm near me (maybe you too)and they are always willing to give information. Also if anyone is local, the Disneyland Hotel has large ponds filled with huge koi. They let people feed them by hand at two daily feeding times. It's really fun! Makes for a great afternoon, cocktails and koi feeding.
http://www.vcnet.com/koi_net/asahi1.html

S
SES posted on Wed, Nov 19, 2003 5:57 AM

On 2003-11-19 04:13, laney wrote:
and they only live to 200 in exceptional cases.

Exceptional like without human intervention.
Just because it's possible to do something does not mean it's good to do so.

I have 4 fishtanks and an outdoor pond. At one point I had over 200 fancy goldfish. Been traveling more now so I only have my frogs indoors now and the fish are in the pond. My faves were blue lionheads and panda dragoneyes.

E
Erika posted on Sun, Nov 30, 2003 8:15 PM

(Sorry . . . no koi content.)

WEEKEND THRIFT SHOP FINDS

Yesterday I found six Otagiri fogcutter mugs from the (now gone) Pub Tiki in Philadelphia. $1.25 each--hooray! I don't have a way to post a photo, but if you have "The Book of Tiki," see page 180--the tiki with "1 1/2" on his chest (or in his mouth?). Does anybody happen to know what the 1 1/2 meant? I think I'll be trading away a couple of the mugs later (if so I'll post to this forum).

But first I need to go back and see if the shop still has more of the other mugs I bought (I assume the chance is close to zero, but I'll go see): mugs from the Hawaiian Cottage here in New Jersey. Also Otagiri fogcutter mugs. They're black with a white geisha on front and with the restaurant's name and a white Japanese tori gate on the back. There's an older one that's larger (8 inches tall) and says "Geisha Room" and gives the location as Merchantville, N.J. (see "Tiki Quest" p. 103), and a newer, smaller (6 3/4 inches) Cherry Hill, N.J., version without the "Geisha Room" imprint. There were more copies there, but I didn't notice how many and which version, and just got one specimen of each. ($1.50!) Later of course it dawned on me that even though I don't really like this non-tiki mug, other people might be eager to have one, and I should have gotten a couple extra to trade away. (So if interested, watch for a future post.)

Here's the Hawaiian Cottage thread from a little while ago, by the way:
https://tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=4597&forum=1
[Overlords: Should that get moved to "Locating Tiki"?]

[ Edited by: Erika on 2003-11-30 20:17 ]

M
  • anybody happen to know what the 1 1/2 meant? I think I'll be trading away a couple of the mugs later (if so I'll post to this forum).

I believe that was 1 1/2 hr of free parking
at the Pub. Now, about those mugs, trade!?! I call dibs.

midite

K
Kono posted on Mon, Dec 1, 2003 3:27 PM

I had today off and decided to do a little scrounging. Hit some antique stores...nothing. Hit a big cheap thrift store...nothing, but I did see a woman with a cool rattan magazine rack in her cart so I just missed that. Decided to hit a Goodwill on the way home since it's right on the way. I'm looking at the bric a brac, pictures, lamps, furniture, records...nothing, nothing, nothing, nothing. I'm back in the corner looking at wood stuff and raise my head and right in front of me is an August Holland Bowl of Light print!

Now it's not in great condition. It's the one on cardboard, I think Sears sold it. There's no frame and there are some scuffs and scratches, even a couple of small tears but I think it can be touched up pretty decently. I've always wanted one of these and to get it for only seven bucks is a treat.

Ummmm...Yeah....mmmm (Ashton Kucher voice); could somebody -please- make it harder to find this tiki stuff?...Thing is- I need a challenge, okay? I'm not feeling....well, do they have a "gifted" class here? Found these goodies today...GRRRREAT pottery tiki wall sconce, Harvey's mug, New Guinea spirit hook, vintage Hula deck, 6 Hawaiian records including "Only In Hawaii" narrated by Doug Mossman from Hawaiian Eye, the coolest little Chinese lacquer Pu-Pu boat (tiki looks good as the Captain, doesn't he?), two more fake ship's lamps, two 1920's Jap lanterns and a hell of a turn-of-the-century Jap fish basket (all for me ceiling)...Oh, yeah-and NINE THOUSAND, FOUR HUNDRED AND THIRTY-FIVE MATCHBOOK COVERS(according to the old collector I bought them from)! First box yielded 22 tiki covers,ten more to go! Flats of stacked "100" bundles

I'm really begining to hate you, but will be moving to your area soon!

BK,

Be sure to post pics of those matchbook covers as you sort them out, (and let's talk trade, brotha!). I love that fish basket. Should look fantastic hanging from your cieling. Good score!

Sabu

D

Flounder its kinda hard to feel sorry for you when I know your sitting there looking at all your pretty fish in your even prettier 30 dollar bamboo fishtank flea market find! And to think, I was super jazzed when I found my Trader Dicks surfer girl mug for .25! With all the treasures everyone finds then posts here, gives me hope that someday, I know if I look long and hard enough, my original Leeteg is sitting in a dark corner of some small, smelly thrift store, just waiting for me to bring it home to love. That's if Basement Kahuna doesn't find it first! :wink:

Kahuna, you must have gone to the crossroads at midnight and sold your soul to Ku! How else could your luck be explained?!

On 2003-12-03 19:55, TikiGoddess wrote:
Kahuna, you must have gone to the crossroads at midnight and sold your soul to Ku! How else could your luck be explained?!

...Nawww...we just sat and had a few drams of rum...he couldn't keep up so he left...as he was walking away he said "Awww, what the hell!" ...he tipped his helmet to me and I've had the luck ever since...

K
Kono posted on Wed, Dec 3, 2003 8:45 PM

On 2003-12-03 18:20, DawnTiki wrote:
Flounder its kinda hard to feel sorry for you when I know your sitting there looking at all your pretty fish in your even prettier 30 dollar bamboo fishtank flea market find!

Oh yeah, whatever happened with the fish tank anyway??

Last week I drove up North for Thanksgiving and it became apparent to me the reason for BK's insane success in scrounging up all the tiki goodies. From the Florida/Georgia line to Atlanta on I-75...this is the absolute truth...every third exit ramp has a freakin' antique mall! Right next to the highway, antique mall after antique mall. That and pecan stores. Why does Georgia have so many antique stores? Who knows? Maybe they waylay tourists passing through, dispose of the bodies and sell the personal goods. Ever see "Macon County Line?" Lucky for my wallet I had my dog with me and couldn't stop and shop. I probably passed up hundreds of swell tiki mugs! :wink:

Seriously though, I was quite surprised by the number of antique malls along I-75 and I did think of BK and his epic finds.

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSS!

After a crappy morning of driving and searching, driving and searching I stopped into a little shop and boom sitting in front of me were these two amazing tiki lamps. I started to shake with excitement and nervously asked the price thinking they would be out of my wallet range. Here goes......$20 Yea Haw!

Pretty sweet right?

Finally I made my big score I have been waiting for! My day is complete, or is it?
On my way home a decide to stop at a little flea market, and the wahine says "we never find anything there". Which is true, there is only about 15 venders. I'm feeling lucky after the lamps so stop anyhow. As I'm looking around this table I barely make out this bulging eye thru some crap. Oh, whats that? YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES!!!! I start shaking like a madman as the vender looks at me with concern. I wasn't worried about the wallet range on this one being that I just know this guy has no idea as to what he has. So I ask "how much", I was a little surprised to the answer of $15 figuring it would only be a couple of dollars. I don't even try to talk him down, I'm not risking anything. Thats right it's a Steve Crane original. Whata day!

OK,

now for my LAME find (is WAS a decent day for me until I read Mr. Flounders' posting) After 3 thrift stores of a whole bunch of nothing, I went to a fourth and found 2 Karate Punch mugs & a carved coconut-thingy. Hey, for Detroit that's not bad at all. But as I'm about to leave, a stockguy brings out a rattan hanging chair!! it wasn't priced yet, so I wasn't getting TOO excited. I asked the price: $5.99 less 25% = $4.50... Yeehaa!
The next stop brought me 2 bamboo shaped ceramic lamps, but the final thrift shop of the day held one last find: ANOTHER frickin' Karate Punch Mug. Sheesh! nothing for months, and then 3 of the same mug in one day.

-Z

I was living in Ohio for a year and found Karata Punch mugs all the time, and just quit buying them. Have you found any Samuri Grog mugs yet? I use to find them all the time as well.

Oooohhhh, Flounder...that hurts. That hurts me, man.

K
Kono posted on Sat, Dec 6, 2003 5:42 PM

On 2003-12-06 10:55, FLOUNDERart wrote:
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSS!

After a crappy morning of driving and searching, driving and searching I stopped into a little shop and boom sitting in front of me were these two amazing tiki lamps. I started to shake with excitement and nervously asked the price thinking they would be out of my wallet range. Here goes......$20 Yea Haw!

Urrrggghhh! You just stabbed me in the heart! I almost went junking in Cocoa today. Those could've been mine! :cry: :cry: I'm a lamp freak too. Mugs are fine and dandy but I really like lamps and paintings. :cry: :cry: But if I can't have them I'm glad they went to you...so now we don't ever have to hear you griping about not finding good stuff anymore! :P :lol:

Damn those are awesome. I thought I had a pretty good day until I saw those. I got a really nice topless mermaid soap holder thingy (looks 50s but dated 74 - very sweet, makes me wish I could do a Pygmalion gimmick), a tiki mug that I don't know anything about (kinda Marquesan looking, says PMP on the bottom) and a pair of old wood skis from the now defunct Cypress Gardens. Decent but you blew me right outta the water. :x

S
SES posted on Sat, Dec 6, 2003 6:28 PM

Great find Flounder!
Kono you got a Paul Marshall mug! This isn't a contest is it? If so I'm out of the loop. I'll just have to create my own "FINDS".
:wink:

On 2003-12-06 14:55, FLOUNDERart wrote:
Have you found any Samuri Grog mugs yet? I use to find them all the time as well.

I saw one about 6 months ago, but I passed on it because it was cracked nearly in half. One of these days I might go back and see if it's still there (it was at a SLOW selling flea market)

-Z

K
Kono posted on Sat, Dec 6, 2003 7:50 PM

On 2003-12-06 18:28, SES wrote:
Kono you got a Paul Marshall mug! This isn't a contest is it?

Nawww...it's not a contest. It's more like BK's our dad and we're just trying to see who can be more like...wait, that would make it a contest.

It's a friendly good natured sort of contest. BK threw down the gauntlet and, by gum, since he made the challenge I've been finding quite a bit of tiki goods around town. In the past 3 months I've probably doubled or trebled my tiki collection (helped in a large part by a trip to Oahu), but especially so in the past three or four weeks. I have no idea why the luck's gotten so much better. I think maybe it's because I'm spending less time in thrift shops (tho I still find good stuff there) and more time in antique malls and junkier antique stores where you can find cool stuff at close to thrift store prices. Or maybe the cold weather has driven BK's mana southward. :tiki:

Thanks for the info on the Paul Marshall mug. I'll have to look into it.

I want to create my own "finds" but so far it's a pain in the ass. There's a small misshapen hunk o' wood, surrounded by wood chips, in my dining room area that may one day be a moai but by the way it's going I have my doubts.

[ Edited by: Kono on 2003-12-06 19:52 ]

Merry Christmas to me from the dark recesses of New Guinea:37 inch Mindimbit Ancestor Spirit Hook, 29-inch Yamok Fertility Circle Soon to grace the wall of the Kon Tiki Paradise Room!

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!! Damn! You are the King!!

No, Ben, You da King...Me just a peasant.

Bk, did you put it on a purple background to double-toast my Pop-Tarts?

They still have to survive shipping...holding breath...

BK Wrote:Oooohhhh, Flounder...that hurts. That hurts me, man

So he is human after all!

Kono, you'll have hard luck finding anything in Cocoa. Melbourne is better, more money there.

Anyone have more information on Steve Crane?

Also, I found a skull mug, but there is no markings on it (page 93 Book of Tiki). Is it a replica? Any info would be cool.

I also found this rattan bar cart today:

The tray is removable.

Mahalo
Original Art by Flounder

http://www.flounderart.com

[ Edited by: FLOUNDERart on 2003-12-07 11:54 ]

Maybe this thread should be broken up also. Mugs, paintings, postcards etc.

Anyway I just went thru a couple antique and collectible shops and found a Harvey's Sneaky Tiki mug for 10 clams. Didn't buy it, just found it. Are these common? Also a set of 6 Harvey's mugs for 30. The brown short ones. I didn't really like any of them. So I passed them up. Am I a sick or normal or just haven't been bitten? Gimme my tikis dammit!

D

I wish I could just pass them by sometimes. But mugs are a rear commodity where I live. I just bought one of those UGLY avacado green glass tiki planter mugs for 10 cents. This really is a sickness! I swore I would never own one of those! I appologize to those of you who love your green planter/mug glass thingy. I really don't care for them at all. But how could I walk away and just leave it sitting there in the junk bin. It seemed wrong! I have turned a corner in this disease. There's no turning back now. :tiki:

[ Edited by: DawnTiki on 2003-12-10 16:48 ]

M

On 2003-12-10 14:29, jungletrader wrote:
Maybe this thread should be broken up also. Mugs, paintings, postcards etc.

Anyway I just went thru a couple antique and collectible shops and found a Harvey's Sneaky Tiki mug for 10 clams. Didn't buy it, just found it. Are these common? Also a set of 6 Harvey's mugs for 30. The brown short ones. I didn't really like any of them. So I passed them up. Am I a sick or normal or just haven't been bitten? Gimme my tikis dammit!

The Sneaky Tiki's have been anywhere form $8 - $28 on my recent excursions, and that includes a trip to Reno two weeks ago, where Harvey's stuff is VERY plentiful. The brown Harvey's bucket's should never be more than $5 bucks, so that's OK- Last ones I bought were 12 for $10.

I suppose I should add to this thread as I rarely do. From the most resent excursion: got a beautiful pair of Trader Dick's moai S&Ps, Fred Roberts mug, and a huge rain lamp in fantastic shape. I'm going to steal The Muggler's fantastic idea and tiki it up! Also an old Shriner bobblehead and a The Tiki's moai mug (sigh..the third. But as I explain to my wife: the bottoms are all different! See?!). Ooh- and an old Ice-O-Matic electric crusher. Needs a little TLC.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 11539 replies