Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Tiki Finds

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 11,539 replies

On 2008-11-13 05:13, Tipsy McStagger wrote:

On 2008-11-12 19:44, Deuces Wild wrote:
Found this aquarium tiki thing....

..this is not an aquarium item ...i wouldn't put it in a tank. it was a votive candle holder produced and sold by spencer gifts a few years back....there is a separate base that came with it that held the tea light candle in place..they came in neon orange and blue.....i think they sold for less than $5 new....

Actually, you could be right on the tea light and It isn't an aquarium decoration. But I have the scoop. Yes, it is a Spencer Gifts Tiki, but it's actually a incense burner. buddy of mine gave it to me as a gift when I first started collecting. Yes I did use it, once. The incense stunk.:

L
Liana posted on Thu, Nov 13, 2008 2:30 PM

I love looking at this thread and seeing what everyone has found.. but it makes me soooooo jealous :P Haha you guys find 5 tiki mugs on one outing and I.. well, I've never found a tiki mug anywhere - and boy do I look!.. hmph :P

I'm gonna move to America just for the tiki.. maybe I'll get me a good paying job at Outback Steakhouse as one of the 'locals' :D

Liana.

On 2008-11-12 19:33, Deuces Wild wrote:
Well, I think this was a killer find.
Always wanted a copy of "Oceanic Art" by Anthony JP Meyer. Searched EBAY but they always seemed to finish at crazy money & then the shipping! I'm talking the single copy BTW. So- I searched Amazon & found one in "acceptable" condition for cheap! I'm talking $24.75 plus 3.50 shipping. I buy & then wait. And I wait. After about 6 weeks, I get an Email from the seller. He tells me the copy he had after further investigation- was a pretty shabby copy w/ torn pages & a damaged spine. He said he didn't feel right selling me this one so he was sending me another- in a slipcover w/ 2 volumes in like new condition for same price.
About a week later it shows up.
Are you kidding me? It's like brand new! Book is pristine & looks like it's never even been looked at.
Pretty good score if you ask me. And..... for under 30 bucks!!!!

Personally, I think this is the find of the month! I paid nearly $100 for the SINGLE book version and wished I could have found the double set ANYWHERE! If you're a carver, or want to be someday, these books will get you on THE path. The photography is spectacular and some of the items shown within will give you goosebumps (if not nightmares) for years to come. QUALITY find! Congrats!

Classic Silver Line Boats

[ Edited by: SilverLine 2008-11-13 15:30 ]

Homemade, re-made and original.

And Liana, there really isn't any Tiki over here!

PTD

L
Liana posted on Thu, Nov 13, 2008 5:16 PM

On 2008-11-13 15:42, Psycho Tiki D wrote:

And Liana, there really isn't any Tiki over here!

PTD

Haha, you just want it all to yourself!! I love those little peanut dudes :P

Liana.

On 2008-11-13 14:22, Unkle John wrote:

On 2008-11-13 05:13, Tipsy McStagger wrote:

On 2008-11-12 19:44, Deuces Wild wrote:
Found this aquarium tiki thing....

..this is not an aquarium item ...i wouldn't put it in a tank. it was a votive candle holder produced and sold by spencer gifts a few years back....there is a separate base that came with it that held the tea light candle in place..they came in neon orange and blue.....i think they sold for less than $5 new....

Actually, you could be right on the tea light and It isn't an aquarium decoration. But I have the scoop. Yes, it is a Spencer Gifts Tiki, but it's actually a incense burner. buddy of mine gave it to me as a gift when I first started collecting. Yes I did use it, once. The incense stunk.:

Here I thought I scored some rare aquarium Moai artifact & turns out it's from Spencers- and I'm missing the base for it.
Ha-my Oceanic Arts book makes up for it though.
Off to Palm Desert tomorrow for the weekend- lets see what treasures await me there.

any idea what part of the world this guy may be from?

"Pets are welcome,Children 'MUST' be on leash" TD

[ Edited by: TIKI DAVID 2008-11-15 05:15 ]

CJ

On 2006-01-16 11:03, TikiJosh wrote:
nice record makutiki! Les Baxter doing songs from South Pacific? Too cool.
I found a really sweet aloha shirt this weekend from Toes on the Nose. Picked it up at the goodwill for $5.99. It's got some drinks on it (inlcuding what appears to be an Orchids of Hawaii, R-5. It also has the menu cover (I think) from the traders, complete with the maori style tiki.
I also found this mug, which was somewhat confusing. If I don't uncover any information from this thread, maybe I'll post in general tiki. The mug is from the Warehouse Restaurant, and below it says Newport Beach and Marina Del Rey. There's no stamp or maker design on the bottom. Here's a photo:

Sorry for the crappy picture, I didn't realize it was so blurry. Does anyone know anything about the Warehouse Restaurant?
Thanks!

I just found one of these mugs in a thrift store and now excited to go check out the place. Thanks for the info ghouls and gals

T

Well yesterday was a good day for me. I found my second Witco piece. :lol:

And today I found these two great Tiki Islander's tall bamboo mugs. There were actually 6 but I passed up on the other four because they were damaged. These 2 are in excellent condition.

[ Edited by: tikipaka 2008-11-16 14:44 ]

Great find tikipaka. Those are related to the ABC tv show "The Islanders" that ran from 1960 to 1961. MGM's answer to " Adventures in Paradise". They ran 24 episodes staring William Reynolds and James Philbrook. I'd like to run across one of those myself.

Only got out for a couple of hours this week...

Coco Joes tiki.

Onyx carved Moai.

Four Martin Denny albums...Exotica Suite, Exotic Percussion, Exotic Sounds of Broadway and A Taste of Honey.

Edmond De Luca's "Safari".

Jim Beam Hawaii Aloha Diamond Head/King Kamehameha Bourbon bottle.

See ya later!

PTD

T

Witco ? Experts, please advise. Either way, I love this guy. He's 2' Tall, and the base appears to be not original, and added later.

Trader Dicks Moai.

Hilton Hawaiian Village Kamehameha Mug. The flare conceals the date which says ©1978.

Tiki Lamp base.

I MAY make this into a lamp.

[ Edited by: tikiyaki 2008-11-16 18:29 ]

This weekend's finds.

Can anyone tell me anything about this? I purchased it at an estate sale. They said the woman was an art teacher and also helped find stuff for museums. She had lots of asian and south american carvings and artifacts. But there was a little bit of oceanic stuff. I guess most of her prime oceanic stuff was still at her house in Hawaii. The house was like walking thru a museum. But, as for this carving... I know nothing about oceanic art. My taste is more on the MCM/PolyPop side of things, so I haven't really educated myself with any of this stuff. Does anyone know what this thing is? Any help would be appreciated.

On 2008-11-16 19:35, Tiki Shaker wrote:

Does anyone know what this thing is? Any help would be appreciated.

The short version:
It's a "Nguzunguzu" canoe-prow ornament from the Solomon Islands. In creation myths from this region, a mythological dog appeared to their ancestors to teach them many things. Building canoes, houses, eating meat, and cultivation of crops were all attributed to the ancient teachings of this dog like thingy.

Looks like a touristy type souvenir carving from there.

On 2008-11-12 19:17, Big Kahuna wrote:
Hey, Buzzy! Where'd ya get those?

Swap meet out here in SD last summer. Not from a collector or anything, just a random junk seller for a couple bucks. I almost passed on them, but that glaze was kinda nice and they caught my eye...

Buzzy Out!

Couple of run-of-the-tiki-mill finds. The "God of Money" tourist trinket is from KC Company. The cigarette lighter that so much wants to be Witco, of course, is not.

My recent finds...

Husband couldn't believe I found this one....

Somebody must love me... I have no idea why. Found this mug on my desk this morning. No note, but a price sticker of $1.50. Pretty cheap way to impress the boss... but then they shoulda left a note. So there ya go, someone's just being nice.

Chicago Finds!

Treasure Craft tiki and Anchor Hocking Hawaiian Island salt and pepper shakers.

Coco Joes lava tikis and Hapawood King Kamehameha. First Coco Joes tiki I found with a flower.

More Coco Joes lava figures.

Napua by Frank Schirman. Nice design.

Orchids R1 and R3 mugs.

Mug marked Pete Mallory's Surf City, 2003 Tiki Farm and Chiki Tiki Mai Kai mugs.

Two Hawaiian postcards, Kahala Hilton Honolulu, Pagoda Hotel and Floating Restuarant, Honolulu and Kona Kai swizzle sticks.

Tarzan movie still promo, printed on the back; "Jungle In Minature...Johnny Weissmuller and Maureen O'Sullivan look over the model of a headhunters' village to be used in "Tarzan in Exile" in they are featured. This is the first Tarzan feature made in two years by Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer. Richard Thorpe directed. Sam Zimbalist is the producer.

"The Traders" Palmer House Dinner menu from 1957.

"The Traders" Palmer House Drink menu from 1957.

Thanks Dad!

PTD

Outrigger mug purchased at antique show.

Don the Beachcomber coasters, same antique show.

Hawaiian figurine, same show.

I Dream of Tiki mug, ebay.

Found this at an antique store- on the floor in the corner buried under a bunch of vintage fishing stuff. Looks old, was cheap & I liked it. Figure is 4" tall, frame is 9" x 7.5"
Anyone seen one before?

Things have been pretty dry up here in the Northwoods, but I bought this cool PNG mask at a local antique mall whose owner collects Polynesian art. He only sells the small stuff that he doesn't want, unfortunately, but I was happy to buy one of his castoffs for my bar:

LT

On 2008-11-22 13:07, MrBaliHai wrote:
Things have been pretty dry up here in the Northwoods, but I bought this cool PNG mask at a local antique mall whose owner collects Polynesian art. He only sells the small stuff that he doesn't want, unfortunately, but I was happy to buy one of his castoffs for my bar:

Wow, nice castoff!

On 2008-11-22 13:31, LOL Tiki wrote:
Wow, nice castoff!

Yeah, you should see the stuff he hoards for himself. He bought out the entire collection of a small anthropological museum about 5 years ago, and displays it in his antique mall...the bastard.

L

I watch these forums all the time but never post anything I find. I have been collecting tiki/poly pop/Hawaiiana items for about 5 years . Moved from Florida to California about 2 years ago and I love the fact that I find a lot more here than there. I guess it helps to be so much closer to Hawaii on this coast. I find 95% of my stuff in thrift stores and only a few items at Antique Malls or Estate Sales. I am not the caliber of collector as some of you are , mainly because I don't have the funds to, however I think I do well on a pretty low budget. Anyways I really love this community and look forward to becoming a more active participant.

Here are some of my Saturday thrift finds:

Treasure Craft, unmarked generic Tiki & 2 CoCo Joe Pieces:

2 Jeweled Eye CoCo Joes (they grow on trees around here it seems) and a peek at some of the 200 hula people I own( most thrifted):

Vintage wire Hawaii pin on a coconut shell pineapple background:

OMC Moai Mug, Generic Parrot Mug & Stockton Islander Skull Mug($2 at Goodwill-score!) & CoCo Joe's Ashtray:

I am sure most of what I post will be repeats for all of you but hey ya never know :)

I look forward to seeing more of everyone's great finds and getting to know you all.

Mahalo!

LT

On 2008-11-23 12:18, leleliz wrote:

That Islander mug is a great score. Did you find this in the Central California area? I've never seen any Islander pieces down South.

L

Thanks..I found it in Stockton--which is close to where I relocated too.

It was marked $5 but the lady at the register was wondering why an old piece of Halloween merchandise was marked up so much and gave it to me for $2.

I was pretty stoked :)

LT

On 2008-11-23 13:08, leleliz wrote:
Thanks..I found it in Stockton--which is close to where I relocated too.

It was marked $5 but the lady at the register was wondering why an old piece of Halloween merchandise was marked up so much and gave it to me for $2.

I was pretty stoked :)

Halloween merchandise - that's great! There's got to be a lot of Islander pieces still floating around the Stockton/Modesto/Lodi area. I grew up outside of Stockton and saw the Islander all the time when I was a kid as it was located in the same shopping center (Lincoln Center) as a fabric/clothing store that my parents frequented. It looked like someone took a little piece of Disneyland and dropped it in the middle of Stockton.

Found a short Toby Design mug and these two wall plaques. No markings and made of painted chalk about a foot tall. Anyone ever see any of these before? Thanks

On 2008-11-22 13:07, MrBaliHai wrote:

Now show me the rest of that wall!!!!!
I'm drooling!

On 2008-11-24 19:21, Deuces Wild wrote:

Now show me the rest of that wall!!!!!

Your wish is my command...:)

Recent stuff:

A pair of harvey's mugs and a Tikinator

Tiki Farm shot mug...

with some company logo on it.

Iolani Palace mug and a local bank promo tiki coffee mug

Big King K Jim Beam decanter(full)

Okleohao lava decanter(empty)

Think I'm missing the ashtray.

Psycho Tiki D: You still got that ashtray?

Tahitian tiki missing the spear

Hawaiian tiki

coco joes Hawaiian hitchhiker ashtray

New Zealand Tiki pendant

Matches:

Moai tissue dispenser

Hawaiian records:

New Derek book

Tahiti and Cook voyages books

Tiki highlights from the Tahiti book:

Other highlights

Hawaiian book highlights

Buzzy Out!

On 2008-11-22 08:27, Deuces Wild wrote:
Found this at an antique store- on the floor in the corner buried under a bunch of vintage fishing stuff. Looks old, was cheap & I liked it. Figure is 4" tall, frame is 9" x 7.5"
Anyone seen one before?

They remind me of these Jaru Wall Decor figures that I found. Page 190 of Tiki Modern. It's not a perfect match but it looks similar.

Found 3 Exotica albums and a carved tiki today at the incredible Hot Sam's Antiques, south of the Twin Cities. This place is amazing, and the 80-year old owner, Gladys Hood, is a real sweetheart. I'm still kicking myself for not bringing a camera with me.

Here's a close-up of the tiki. The name "Lorne G" is written on the bottom, so I'm just going to pretend it was carved by Lorne Greene in his on-set trailer in-between filming "Bonanza" episodes.

Here's a terrific photograph from the full-color insert inside the "Ports of Paradise" LP:

LT

On 2008-11-25 14:08, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:
Hawaiian book highlights

Dude looks like Freddie.

S

On 2008-11-25 14:08, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:
Recent stuff:

Tiki Farm shot mug...

with some company logo on it.

Founded in 1991, Flowline supplies industrial manufacturers and municipalities with tank inventory monitoring, automation and safety solutions for corrosive liquids. Demand for chemical storage and feed systems has grown steadily since the 1960's, fueled by industrial automation, municipal water treatment and environmental safety regulations. Our advanced thermoplastic level measurement, switch and control technologies enable users to best manage their liquid assets with dependable solutions that reduce fluid handling costs.

Knew I'd seen that name around work. If you ever want to get rid of it, let me know. I'm a plumber in real life.

[ Edited by: Staredge 2008-11-25 17:08 ]

[ Edited by: Staredge 2008-11-25 17:14 ]

here is my end of november batch!

that and a YMA SUMAC album and 3 AURTHER LYMEN (still in the manufacturers plastic sleeve)

Tikiville, I really like the velvet cushion cover and the wooden Moai. I'll see your Lymans and raise you one.

ooooooooohhhhhhhhhh..........well thats a great score ,how'd I miss that ?!I post album shots tomorrow!
I LOVE EDMONTON!

I was at the store when they brought them out (i'm guessing you found yours at the goodwill on 51st too).

yup ...............lucky

Just a meager offering I have this month. I freelance now, so I don't get out of the house much to hunt for tiki items. So what I have here are the books Love in the South seas by Bengt Danielsson (as seen in The BOT, page 40) and * Hawaii Five-O: TOP SECRET* and two coconut mugs. The Mug on the left is a Chiki Tiki and it's printed Belize on the outside (A restaurant or the Central American country?) and my first Don the Beachcomber mug!

i found these two mint 1970's shirts at a community fund raising sale here in florida. great matching patterns in heavy barkcloth. the little old lady who was selling them was very sweet, and she told me that she and her husband had got them in hawaii in the early 1970's. and they only wore them once. it's rare to find the original owner, and i enjoyed hearing her story of their vacation and the fun they had in the islands.

Busy weekend with out-of-town company for the holiday, but managed to get out to find these...

Mug from The Mandarin, Girardelli Square, San Franciso. Had a similar one from the Holiday Inn (left).

Another mug from The Mandarin, Girardelli Square, San Franciso.

Pair of Treasure Craft Hawaiian figures.

Photo of the Ben Ali Sacramento Shriners in Hawaii.

Cinerama South Seas Adventure movie booklet.

Thanks for looking and see ya later!

PTD

[ Edited by: Psycho Tiki D 2008-11-30 17:43 ]

This week's stuff:

South Seas sales resin Tiki

Marked made in Hawaii:

Wood Hawaiian tiki:

Driftwood trophy carving from Hawaii, missing the plaque:

From Jamin Sales

Another driftwood carving:

Looks like an original Schirman, kinda

Looks like it's another trophy for the 1962-63 staffers mixed doubles high team score

carved from sandlewood

and finally, another Ku cup:

Buzzy Out!

[ Edited by: Bay Park Buzzy 2008-11-30 17:59 ]

Went out on black friday but skipped the mall & hit the antique stores with my brother Bongofury instead.

Pretty good scores.

A small 17" tall shield w/ handle on back- looks old & probably African- but maybe PNG. Price was dirt cheap.

Cool Sepik River Ancestral flying fox mask. Amazing amount of carving detail that the flash washed out. 20" tall

My favorite find was the Yipwon cult hook hunting charm- the tall dark one in the back. It's 50" tall. Similar one on page 234 of Oceanic Art by Anthony JP Meyer.

And I almost forgot. Snagged this PNG mask on Evilbay yesterday for a whopping $7.37!!!!! Listed wrong. How sweet it is!

[ Edited by: Deuces Wild 2008-11-30 19:14 ]

HOK

On 2008-11-30 17:58, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:
This week's stuff:

Driftwood trophy carving from Hawaii, missing the plaque:

From Jamin Sales

Another driftwood carving:

Looks like an original Schirman, kinda

Looks like it's another trophy for the 1962-63 staffers mixed doubles high team score

carved from sandlewood

Hola Buzzy! Those look like some Paul Fujimoto carvings...Sandlewood...nice score!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=130265785962
Does it say K-bay on the bottom? If yes, Its from Kaneohe Bay, Marine Corps...
Does the name of the trophy shop look familiar?

Nice finds! :) Freddie

On 2008-11-30 17:41, Psycho Tiki D wrote:

Cinerama South Seas Adventure movie booklet.

Thanks for looking and see ya later!

PTD

[ Edited by: Psycho Tiki D 2008-11-30 17:43 ]

Hey PTD, I have the soundtrack:

Now we just need to find the actual film reels - and a cinerama theatre to see it in! Should be no problem...

B

Dueces Wild snagged the good stuff, but I wrestled this away from him...

He also let me have this beast....Libbey mug, "Malta 1954" on the back...

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 11539 replies