Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Tiki Finds

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 11,539 replies

Wow, what an odyssey these doors had! I know of people who were TRYING to buy them, one even PAID for them and never gottem, and then had to wait for months to get his money back.

And good to see where the Trader Vic's S.F. doors ended up:

I never knew, which just goes to show how seldom I get up there.

On 2009-03-20 01:53, atomictonytiki wrote:

On 2009-03-19 04:12, Mai Tai wrote:
folks changed the name on Forbidden Island's license application notice to "Brokeback Island"?)

Now that's Laugh out Loud funny.

I'd go to a professional furniture restorer for advice on removing the paint from wood, city cleaners aren't to concerned about leaving the surface over clean when they remove paint.

I'll second this suggestion, and check with your local Art Restorer, too; they can be found through Art Museums or Galleries that specialize in older works.

are you sure those aren't front doors from a kon tiki ports???

the carving style doesn't seem to fit the stuff found at old trader vics...i could be wrong.

anyway, take those to a professional wood stripper and get them stripped and restained and they will look beautiful no matter what you do with them,,,

Congrats on the purchase Bill, gotta love pedigree!

Made a stop today, though nothing as grandeur as Mai Tai's find...

10" Coco Joe's Lono Hapawood tiki, first one I have found that looks like wood.

Postcards from Hawaii, including The Kona Inn and The Kauai Surf Hotel.

A bunch of Disneyland postcards today, including these two of the gates outside of Adventureland.

I never intended on collecting records again, but I seem to finding so many lately...

"Tamure Tahiti, Charles Mauu, His Coconut Uke and Roche's Tahitians".

Don Ho albums, "Don Ho-Again! Recorded Live In Hawaii","Tiny Bubbles", mono version, "Don Ho & Aliis".

Repeats of Martin Denny's "Hypnotique" and "Exotica".

"Hawaiian Favorites, Alfred Apaka with Danny Stewart's Hawaiians".

"The Magic Islands Revisited, Axel Stordahl and His Orchestra and Chorus".

Booklet with this picture of a tiki from the International Market Place...

Les Baxter's "The Sacred Idol","Strange and Exotic Music Keyed to the Mysterious Legends of the Feathered Serpent of the Aztecs" "From the motion picture "Sacred Idol" Produced by Edward Nassour".

Later,

PTD

That's one of the best looking burgers EVER!! JK Bill. Thanks for not showing the graffiti that would just be painful to see, but keep us updated when you get them restored to full glory.

RT

I just picked up a "Shag Toes on the Nose" stand-up cardboard tiki sign from "Junkman's Daughter" here in Atlanta for $5. It's hard to find Tiki items in the southeast--but now and then I score a cool mug or glass. I picked these up last month...

[ Edited by: rat tiki 2009-03-20 15:14 ]

C

Nice pick up, mai tai. Lookin forward to what kier digs up :wink:

L

Rat Tiki I love Junkman's Daughter! and Junkman's Daughter's Brother in Athens. I used to spend lots of time in Atlanta and always found cool tiki stuff in Little 5 Points. If the store Psycho Sisters is still there (its a consignment/thrift/clothing place) you can usually find some good Hawaiian Shirts.

Welcome to TC!

Mai Tai - you got 'em - nice!! I soooo wanted those, but c'est la vie... imho, you should have those professionally restored - those are HISTORIC!!

There really hasn't been too much up here lately but I've also been pretty busy to look! I'm kind of waiting for the flea markets which start up again in April. Here are a few thrift store finds I have found lately.

Two cool Tiki's made by HIP. Their about 4" tall and have the original tags on back:

On the left here is a resin type Maori carving. Good details and neat style of carving. In the center is a old Coco Joe letter opener, or shank, as I like to call them! On the right is a little ceramic Moai statue that was picked up at a Chinatown dollar store.

Nice old ceramic Tahitian Drummer. No shade but in excellent shape. There was no matching girl around but for only $15 couldn't pass this one up.

At first I wasn't too sure about this one. It was cool looking but was a little bit scratched up. These table candle lamps are nice and something you don't see too much still with the netting material on them.
The glass is dark red and some of the paint was coming off so I nearly passed it up. These look really cool lit up so I figured the glass has at least one good side so I figured I would get it. Especially when I turned it over and saw it still had the original tag on the bottom:

Recently, I saw some pictures here on TC, possibly of Don The Beachcombers (?), and you can see these lamps on the tables. If anyone remembers, please let me know.

Thanks and Mahalo, TabooDan

Besides by Sci-Fi pulp fiction finds I posted in Beyond Tiki today, this was all I found this morning...

"The Magic Islands, Alfred Newman and his orchestra with the Ken Darby Singers".

"Holiday on those Magic Islands of Hawaii, Willie Alunuai and his Band".

"Hawaiian Interlude, Jonnie Aluani and his orchestra".

"Havana in Hi-Fi, Richard Hayman and His Orchestra". Not tiki or hawaiian, but very cool.

Later,

PTD

Pyscho Tiki D I have a similar album to your Hawaiian Interlude.
Same girl same songs but different title and color!!

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/album.php?albumid=122&pictureid=1324

[ Edited by: Beach Bum Scott 2009-03-24 13:08 ]

I see what you mean...

Yours...

Mine...

Wonder where else this girl shows up?

PTD

M

Nice Mai Tai! Showing off yer wood like usual!

I haven't found any good thrift store finds for months, then on Saturday two Siesta ware glasses.

L

Today I hit two of my fav thrifts and I spent a grand total of $8.00. Oh Happy Day!!

Excellent Montgomery Ward's barkcloth shirt with wood buttons :

Kinda faded Sears barkcloth shirt with wood buttons:

Reyn Spooner Commerative Classic shirt with coconut buttons -- whoo hoo! $1.00!! :

Close up of print :

Blurry close up of tag :

4 Orchids of Hawaii jeweled eye peanut guys -- all 4 for $2.00. (only 1 was marked for $2.00 so the girl just gave me all 4 for that price. God bless her!)

God of Money, King Kamehameha coco joe and I have no idea what its called but the black dish is of course coco joe too:

2 Disneyland swizzles with "Tiki Garden Disneyland" barely visible on the stem:

All in all a kick ass day for me and I am pretty stoked!

You should be stoked...nice haul there for you! Thanks for posting, especially the Spooner shirt, WOW!

PTD

L

Thanks PTD! I was reading all the words on the shirt when it dawned on me to look at the tag. I did a little dance when I realized what it was!

And when I saw the 4 mugs sitting there I instantly thought of you and the army of peanut men you have . I think I am s-l-o-w-l-y catching up to you - only like 40 more to go!

Yeah, probably about 40? This is what around 40 mugs looks like...

Or this...

Man, I never score anything at the local thrifts here and there you go all finding great stuff at next to nothing. Good honing and finding skills you are aquiring. I guess all of your local competition gave up on looking there?

Keep it up, mugs, swizzles, shirts and everything else. Nice Coco Joes Petroglyph astray too!

PTD

[ Edited by: Psycho Tiki D 2009-03-25 15:21 ]

L

On 2009-03-25 15:11, Psycho Tiki D wrote:
Yeah, probably about 40? Man, I never score anything at the local thrifts here and there you go all finding great stuff at next to nothing. Good honing and finding skills you are aquiring. I guess all of your local competition gave up on looking there?

Keep it up, mugs, swizzles, shirts and everything else. Nice Coco Joes Petroglyph astray too!

PTD

Its a gift with all my honing :wink: and I think my competition is non existant these days-thank goodness. Ya know if you come my way there wont be anything for ya--because whenever anyone comes out with me its tumblweed city. Petroglyph --that was what I was trying to come up with!!

And PTD--NO WONDER you cant find anything as much anymore. You already bought it all!!!

[ Edited by: leleliz 2009-03-25 16:10 ]

LT

Nice haul leleliz! It may be that if your hunting in Tracy, you've got no competition.

L

Hey PTD you are not going to believe this.

Went to a different thrift today because I haven't been there in about 2 months and this is what I found. Just so you know the thrift was not in Tracy (LOL Tiki dont give away my hunting grounds! lol) and the mugs were NOT in the boutique section. They were sitting in the housewares department!

I am more stoked today than yesterday!!!

First ...found this Lefton Hawaiian girl head. She is in great shape and since I do not have any Marwal busts this was a nice find. She was $10 which I think is pricey for a thrift store but what the hell! The only other person I have seen post this same bust is Big Kahuna so I am not sure how rare it is :

Now ......imagine my surprise when I found these brown Stockton Islander peanut men (all 4 are marked Stockton Islander) :

and it gets better....

there were 4 black ones too!!!! I almost died.

I may not be anywhere near your peanut men collection PTD ...but damnit I am getting close !!

I am seriously one happy camper!

[ Edited by: leleliz 2009-03-26 12:18 ]

Today's humble find, a ukulele playing Coco Joe:

Q: "What kinda sound do you hear when you drop a ukulele?"

A: "Applause."

On 2009-03-26 12:17, leleliz wrote:
Hey PTD you are not going to believe this.

Went to a different thrift today because I haven't been there in about 2 months and this is what I found. Just so you know the thrift was not in Tracy (LOL Tiki dont give away my hunting grounds! lol) and the mugs were NOT in the boutique section. They were sitting in the housewares department!

I am more stoked today than yesterday!!!

I may not be anywhere near your peanut men collection PTD ...but damnit I am getting close !!

I am seriously one happy camper!

Wowza, your luck is getting better and stronger. Great finds again! Like I said, I am so surprised you don't see more Islander stuff in your area and there it comes out of the woodwork. It took me three years to find my first brown peanut Islander mug and you find 4 at once, in addition to the black ones!

Remember folks, it is spring cleaning time and what better time for the public to rid themselves of that pesky tiki crap! Viola! Viva le Tiki!

PTD

LT

Tomorrow she'll be posting 4 Bumatay, Kelbo and Headhunter mugs. But just 2 green Maoris. :P :drink: :P

On 2009-03-26 13:04, LOL Tiki wrote:
Tomorrow she'll be posting 4 Bumatay, Kelbo and Headhunter mugs. But just 2 green Maoris. :P :drink: :P

If that happens, I'm moving south!

PTD

LT

You guys are practically at ground-zero for Islander stuff; I'm surprised that more doesn't turn up there.

L

On 2009-03-26 13:22, LOL Tiki wrote:
You guys are practically at ground-zero for Islander stuff; I'm surprised that more doesn't turn up there.

Well I think more would turn up if PTD didn't already have 3/4 of it in his own collection!

I score 11 witco pieces today in one haul !!! i'll post pics as soon as possible...gonna keep some and sell some...stay tuned

LT

On 2009-03-26 13:33, leleliz wrote:

Well I think more would turn up if PTD didn't already have 3/4 of it in his own collection!

PTD - Commander of the Peanut Mug Army.

LT

On 2009-03-26 13:54, Tipsy McStagger wrote:

I score 11 witco pieces today in one haul !!! i'll post pics as soon as possible...gonna keep some and sell some...stay tuned

This sounds like it's going to be good.

Does Tipsy McStagger=Tiki David?

Hey Tipsy, haven't seen a Rusty update lately??

Hmmmmm...

Witco...

???

PTD

On 2009-03-26 14:54, Psycho Tiki D wrote:
Does Tipsy McStagger=Tiki David?

Hey Tipsy, haven't seen a Rusty update lately??

Hmmmmm...

Witco...

???

PTD

Rusty is chillin like a villain ......on a great tiki find we had at an estate sale not long ago.....a three piece sectional bamboo sofa, chair and 2 tables...with flawless asian pattern 50's cushions.....

...tiki david better watch out...there's a new sheriff in town....that voodoo witch doctor carving i bought from ken pleasant arrived last week..shortly thereafter i hit upon my biggest witco score yet......i'm tellin ya i got the witco mojo goin thanks to ken's mystical idol !!!

i was drivin by a store near where i work....basic hole in the wall place i never noticed before but drive by every week... 2 days ago i thought i saw a witco night stand and lamp in the window....couldn't stop just then so i figured i'd check it out later in the week....after all, i had serious doubts that it could be witco....it didn't seem possible......

the other day i finally stopped and looked......yep!! it was a 2 drawer witco nightstand i had never seen with a tiki face on the front and hawaiian carved designs on the side....the lamp was a basically a spanish style witco lamp, with shade intact and a witco horse magazine rack with fur......i asked how much the horse was and they said they were selling it all as a set....set?? where is the rest???..they said it's upstairs if i want to look at it......and man, did I!!

upstairs was a spanish style witco swag lamp, witco tiki clock (similar to hala kahiki)..dragon style coffee table, 2 seater bench and table (kid size) with flip up seats for storage....tiki table with 2 attached stools and 2 free standing stools....and a tiki foot stool that had a tiki for a head and a square body with square cushion attached.... i couldn't fork over the cash fast enough.

they said they had alot of interest in the night stand ....they had only put the stuff in the window 2 weeks ago, which is why i never noticed it sooner and thankfully why no other tiki folk found it either!!!...the timing was right, because they were just about to put it on craigslist this week.....

H

I love the Asian pattern on that cushion. Great score.

Hey, leleliz! I've actually scored 2 of those Lefton busts. I traded the second one, but $10.00 is a great price!

Tipsy--Rusty looks too cool, actually he looks far too calm for an orange feline...I'll bet his peaceful demeanor in the picture belies his true nature. About the Witco...inquiring minds want to know how much a set like that puts one back? If I'm ever lucky enough to run across a set I would need to know what a good bargain is being jobless and all in California...

[ Edited by: Kikkietiki 2009-03-26 22:03 ]

K

congrats on the score tipsy, sounds like the Witch Doctor wanted some company :)
Now lets see some pictures!!

On 2009-03-26 23:17, keigs20 wrote:
congrats on the score tipsy, sounds like the Witch Doctor wanted some company :)
Now lets see some pictures!!

thanks ken....i was going to email you...what are your thoughts on restaining, touching up or refinishing a witco piece?? some of the worn areas are a little lighter than the piece overall and i would like to bring them back up to the level of darkness they started out as......

kikietiki - rusty truly turned out to be a bastard like his ol' man :) He's a red cat cause he's a stinky little devil......i have never seen a more disagreeable cat with facial expressions to match.....but we love him!! he's definately entertaining......he loves to mess with the other cats, especially his buddy oscar who is a 28 pound black cat that loves to steam roller rusty on occasion when he acts up!! pretty funny stuff......

Wow, I was drooling over all the great posts. I love the Hawaiian bust for $10! She's really nice!

Matt's been out of town for training for work, so I went to visit him, and during the day hit some thrift and antique stores. Found some nice things too!

Matt's back tonight, training is done, yay! He has another week of work, then AT&T goes on strike and we pray it won't last long or we'll be selling off our house tiki mug by tiki mug, God forbid!!

Found this nice shirt in a thrift store for $3! The tag says Roundy Bay...

I just love the detail on it.

Found some Nice Tommy Bahama mugs...

Sisters

Matt has a similar one of these, but this one is larger...

I hadn't seen this one but love the detail on the sides...

Some usual suspects, but I don't think we had the black one...

I lightened the photo for more detail..

I had this set already, but I just love these guys..

My personal favorite, I've always wanted one of these! I asked the girl in the antique store if she had any unusual tiki mugs, she went straight to it, said she and her mother loved it and it was pretty well hidden. Glad I asked. Got it for $10 which I thought was fair price.

Only wish I had more money to spend.. but once the strike is over and we know we'll be ok, watch out!!

On 2009-03-26 12:31, Bongo Bungalow wrote:

Q: "What kinda sound do you hear when you drop a ukulele?"

A: "Applause."

Hey now!!!!!!!!!

But...
Do you know how to make a Ukulele player stop playin?

Put sheet music in front of them!!!

[ Edited by: Beach Bum Scott 2009-03-27 13:22 ]

L

On 2009-03-27 13:17, Beach Bum Scott wrote:

Hey now!!!!!!!!!

[ Edited by: Beach Bum Scott 2009-03-27 13:22 ]

You know I see probally 3-5 ukes a week while out thrifting but I know nada about them. If anyone who collects them wants to send me any info as to what to look out for - like markings,price range, size - I will and maybe be able to add some to your collection. If they are just sitting there someone has to want them so let me know.

BTW I like your display Scott. :)

A couple things today I didn't have...

Believe it or not, I did not have the larger version of these frosted mugs. I call the design "The Creature From The Black Lagoon" mug because the faces kinda remind me of it.

Hurricane glass from "Tiki's Grill and Bar, Waikiki".

Westwood mug. Gotta about 6 0r 7 of these now.

Daga bamboo mug from a place called "Falepopo, The Coconut Hut, Somoa".

Les Baxter's "Jewels of the Sea".

Another copy of Martin Denny's "Exotica".

Brings the total to 5!

Later,

PTD

Today's finds from the flea market at the Tennessee Fairgrounds in Nashville.
A Benihana Hotei mug, 2 Kona Coffee plastic mugs, and a wooden tiki clock.

K

Hey tipsy try some Minwax golden oak stain to cover the light areas. Try it on an area you wont see first to see if you like it. The stain blends in well and will make the piece shine like new.

My recent finds:

Some CocoJoes and a HIP pendant:

A Polyart/Schirman hapawood piece

HIP paperweight

Maori carving

From 1980

A pair of Maori bolo ties

Bali Hai matchbook:

Real small wooden Tahitian tiki:

for scale:

An aged Marquesan styled tiki

It's on a split log.

Signed "Pedro"

A collection of Hawaiian inspired poems published in 1924:

Each poem has an illustaration or two with it

This poem obviously inspired the classic surf film "Blue Crush."

Buzzy Out!

That book of poems ~ how very cool!

Another wee find a shallow coconut dish rather than bowl, marked Italy on the base, so that makes it an Ed Langbein coconut?

Oops double post, sorry.

[ Edited by: atomictonytiki 2009-03-31 15:07 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 11539 replies