Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Tiki Finds

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 11,539 replies

Today's finds...

"Shipwreck Kelly's Waikiki Hawaii" mug, made by Kawau Litres Hawaii??

Moai salt and peppers with red stone eyes.

"People of the Pacific" Photographed by "South Sea Scotty" 1943, published by Charles Scott Guletz.

Later,

PTD

On 2010-02-13 17:44, Tiki-Tim wrote:
Also found what I think is one-half of a tiki bookend.Any info on this?Thanks...Tiki-Tim

I saw this at the Bellevue, KY Goodwill but passed on it. If that's not where you got it then it might still be there to give you a matched set.

T

Hey Caffeinated....I did find this at The Bellvue Goodwill in Ky.I searched all the Goodwills in the area Saturday for another one,but no luck.If you happen to see the other one (if there is another one),send me a PM if you would....Thanks Tiki-Tim

The last coupla weeks, I've found nothing but paper.
A coupla Florida brochures from the Aloha Motel & the Hawaiian Village.

A few lovely ladies:

And a neat menu from Kau Kau Korner in Honolulu, Honolulu's "Finest Drive-In Restaurant":

[ Edited by: Big Kahuna 2010-02-14 20:59 ]

T
TikiG posted on Mon, Feb 15, 2010 8:51 AM

Aloha!

Had a nice Saturday this weekend up in the Antelope Valley in Southern California...
turned out to be a better-than-average hunt for tiki.

The items (shown in-situ) found Saturday morning were:

Set of four glass candle-holder tikis - $2.50 each - found at local antique mall

Hand-carved wooden tiki hidden on a shelf - $5.00 - found at same antique mall

Photo of all eight tiki items found at the antique mall, sitting on the checkout counter. Note the two Tiki Farm "Lucky Tiki" mugs - each Lucky Tiki mug w/Rancho Vista Woman's Club "Rally for the Cure" wording on the back - $7.00 each.
Wooden Mask on wooden wedge shaped backing - $7.00
Overall it was worth checking out the antique mall to see what they had.

Here's Melekalikimaka at the local thrift shop checking out two mid-century "Tiger Torch" that she pulled from the crutches rack! SCORE @ $3.99 each!
Note: One of these beauties still had the original hang-tag attached, whoa!

Overall a nice Saturday hunt w/spectacular weather too! Thanks Mel for driving :wink:

Ok, it's not really a find, but it's our newest tiki and I had to properly display him for all to see. Our close personal friend, Gigantalope, made the form and poured him with concrete, 18 50lb bags of concrete in December (our Christmas gift).

I just had to share. He's part of our garden now and in it's rightful place in the Keno Kai.

The tiki gods smile upon us and reward us with such great friends! Aloha :) and Mahalo!!

Looks great there with the big rocks and the stone walkway!

T

That is so nice, can we get the how to on the form he made? I love this...

On 2010-02-15 13:50, TikiMookie wrote:
Our close personal friend, Gigantalope, made the form and poured him with concrete, 18 50lb bags of concrete in December (our Christmas gift).

I would delete that caption if you ever have to get help moving! :lol:

Haven't found much in the last month or so. Been spending all my time looking for rattan and non-tiki glassware.

Framed Tapa cloth. 3' x 2' ish.

Warehouse barrel mug.

I don't usually show off albums I buy... in fact, I try not to buy them. But this one by The Outriggers has a nice interior shot of Don The Beachcomber, Hollywood, 1958, for those not already aquainted with it.

L

Cufflinks

Lamps I've made:
old whiskey decanter with shade made from a shirt

ceramic tiki with plastic fish-tank background shade

Nice cuff links, Liz. Are they old?

L

On 2010-02-18 11:15, Bongo Bungalow wrote:
Nice cuff links, Liz. Are they old?

Yes they appear old and the packaging although generic seems pretty dated.

I want to guess and say at least from the 70s/80s.

I'm diggin' the cufflinks.

Nice lamp conversions too.

Recent finds:

A 20" tall Maori carving:

Resin totem tiki thing:

One Hawaii tiki postcard:

One Hawaii tiki matchbook:

Thanks for the picture cover info Sabu! Sounds like my kind of place! I figured either you or DC would chime in on it. I guess you got up earlier than him that day...

Buzzy Out!

[ Edited by: Bay Park Buzzy 2010-02-18 18:38 ]

T

I thought it was a Stockton Islander mug at first

I was wrong

A little research
http://kctiki.blogspot.com/2009/12/brettons-bali-hai-room-1215-baltimore.html

Just for reference and for those interested, here is the Tiki Salt and Pepper set that was discussed by Kahalakruzer, Bongo Bungalow, and BigBro at the top of page 397.

For a new set, they are actually pretty cool. When I first saw them I thought they were vintage until you look a bit further like the maker, etc.
Those mugs posted on 397 are also really and cool and have pretty good details.
Thanks for the pics!

TabooDan

T

Just found the long lost Kon-Tiki Restaurant menu from the Sheraton- Gibson here in Cincinnati,Ohio.Also found some stationary from another Tiki Restaurant located here in Cincinnati called "The Hawaiian Village".

Postcard of The Sheraton-Gibson Hotel.

Stationary & Envelope from The Hawaiian Village

Envelope....

Love this Tiki logo.Tiki looks like he's hammered.

OGR

Tiki-Tim, Great finds...love the stationary....here is some info I had posted about the HI from a brochure while looking for KI info. Keep digging.

From a Howard Johnson's Sharonville brochure from one of the group of hotels that was owned (including the King's Island Hotel) by a local corporation. The hotel group info was listed in the rear of King's Island opening guidebook....

"The Pleasure's Yours...Unlimited!
It's lush...it's plush...it's ultra modern, this glamorous,
sun-bright motor-lodge. And yet so moderate in price!
There are guest rooms for one or two or family groups.
For busy executives, the Granada and Barcelona suites
or the Summit or Diplomat for larger meetings.
For Honeymooners there's the breath-taking Garden Suite
and for escapees to the South Seas the Hawaiian Village
indoor swimming pool, terrace lounge, steam room,
children's splash pool, adjoining thatch-roofed
Mai-Tai cocktail bar. There's a Game Room...a Play Area...
a Patio...a Shimmering Lagoon!
it's all for you...it's all
FUN-Unlimited!

Hawaiian Village, a languid escape to the tropics: a paradise of temperature-controlled air; a pool and pool-side lounging retreat; luxuriant "loafing" at beachcomber prices.

Mai-Tai Cocktail Lounge, and bar just off the pool--featuring famous Polynesian snacks and "Honi-Honi" in bamboo shells: popular between-swims and after dusk rendezvous."

Todays finds...

Another large Tapa cloth-measures 6 1/2 feet by 12 feet.

A few more records.

Later,

PTD

it's been REALLY slow around here, or maybe i have just been slacking...oh, and sorry for the bad picture quality. photography is not my strong suit.

a pair of trader vic's salt and pepper shakers

the tag said this was a "tie tac." it's on the lapel of my leather jacket

and an LP by Sacramento's very own Tiki Men!!

Found this fish float a while back at an antique place. I'd been siting on it for awhile, but I saw the dude who ran the booth and he took off $20, so I picked it up. Greenish tinged glass, authentic japanese float, no markings, a bit over 12" diameter.

I also found this capiz shell lamp that I passed on. Cool UFO shape...a little different from the globe shape you'd normally find.

Not tiki, of course, but IT IS A VOLCANO! Across the lower portions is "ROTOLOK RATHSKELLER 1967", by the handle is "VESUVIUS". (Oh, that volcano!). On the bottom is "NOHBOSC 1967 ST. LOUIS MISSOURI". The illustration looks very familiar, like maybe it's been used on other (more tiki) items?

Here are some finds from the first part of Oh-Ten:

Plastic Kona Coffee Mill cup; Orchids R-76; very crude mermaid mug from the Hawaiian Village, New Westminister, BC. Must be a newer one, judging by the crudeness of the features; Island Heritage mug; and a Ti-Toki decanter. Plus, a mini float, a square foot piece of Tapa-style cloth (possibly a dinner napkin), and a sort of Witco-looking, probably Spanish wine rack that fits in nicely.

Here's my is-it-or-isn't-it-Witco flower vase/war club/turkey drumstick mounted on my wall. I actually found this in Phoenix at a place called Go Kat Go. They were selling it as a "Witco Tiki" and although they seemed to be the sort of place who'd know (they had some nice pieces of Witco furniture) I had my doubts. Still, the price was right, and it looks pretty good!

awsome haul there!
I was gonna brag about the TRADER VIC Canada coconut mug I found ...forget it !

Yeah, I've got one of those, too. Face it, Tikiville, you're strictly small-time... :wink:

Not much today...

Misc albums, Hawaiian, Surf and vintage R&R.

Vintage oil painting by Irene Butz (not kidding). Note the tiki on the right.

Later,

PTD

L

Not really been tiki hunting these days but I found these today...please note I am sick of all the Harvey's stuff I find but I still buy it.

Harvey's mini bowl and bucket and then a Trader Dick's peanut. Harveys=dead to me

deAD TO YOU HUH?
hmmmm i'll pm you about a trade lol

On 2010-02-27 17:14, leleliz wrote:
Not really been tiki hunting these days but I found these today...please note I am sick of all the Harvey's stuff I find but I still buy it.

Harvey's mini bowl and bucket and then a Trader Dick's peanut. Harveys=dead to me

i feel the same way about trader dicks that you do about harvey's! i grew up about 30 minutes from each of them. i now live in portland, or and am overwhelmed by the amount of trader dick's stuff i find and the lack of affordable harvey's stuff.

U

My wife and I missed the Chilean earthquake by three days. While in Vina del Mar I found this tiki statue in a women's clothing store being used as a display for a necklace. It was supposedly carved on Rapa Nui. I was told it was a "Tuki" whatever that is. It is 20 inches tall and appears to be rather old. Does anyone know the name of this Tiki god? I haven't had much luck looking through the forum. Thanks.

[ Edited by: ukutiki 2010-03-01 20:06 ]

On 2010-02-27 20:31, crushenstein wrote:

On 2010-02-27 17:14, leleliz wrote:

i feel the same way about trader dicks that you do about harvey's! i grew up about 30 minutes from each of them. i now live in portland, or and am overwhelmed by the amount of trader dick's stuff i find and the lack of affordable harvey's stuff.

Send them East!

i may have found some thrift stores off the beaten path last week:

the toothpick holder was $1

barrel mug $0.50, coffee cup $0.25!

Liz,

I know what you mean...

But today I found a Harvey's item I did not have...

Harvey's Lake Tahoe Top Of The Wheel Menu.

Now if I could only find the Harveys salt and pepper shakers, in both versions!

Later,

PTD

PTD,

Nice score on the Harvey's menu, those are indeed hard to come by.

DC

Wow! page 400 of Tiki Finds! Congrats all you finders!

After all these finds, it's a wonder there's still any stuff out there.

Alas though, it's there, and every once in a while you can have one of those days like i had today, and a chance at a day like this one keeps me out there day after day, week after week, looking over a bunch of crap, hoping to stumble on to a pile like this:

I almost had a heart attack when I saw it all there. Even though I strongly desired every piece there, I passed on it when I first saw it because the prices were a little out of my comfort zone. I figurd I could get the guy down a lot on his original price because all the info he told me about the pieces was totally wrong. I figured if he didn;t know what it was, he wouldn't know what it's worth either. I went back right before the swap meet ended today, did some hard negotiating, and got it down to a reasonable price.

Some closeups of it all:

Paddles are about 42" tall and the stringed instrument is about 36":

Really nice adze:

Knifey thingeys:

Other knifey thingeys:

Tiki:

Guam tiki from a different seller than all the other stuff:

The Guam tiki was $2, and the only thing I could really afford out of all this.

I will soon starve to death, but I will sure have a nice collection of expensive stuff to stare at while I go.
Buzzy Out of $$$!

So Buzzy how much did the haul set you back, how about some info on some of the booty!

L

Duane your collection always reminds me of a stockroom :)

GIANT tiki ashtray got it at vintage store, wish I had real tiki bar matchbook.

Went out yesterday and hit the local flea markets and thrift stores, I brought home an Orchids of Hawaii "Fu Manchu" in perfect condition, and this really ugly coconut carved head

But the real story is what I didnt bring home. I went to an antique store and found this album cover

sitting right on top of a 4 ft stack of albums,. No album inside and a $3 price tag. I look thru the stack and some nearby loose albums, but the disc isnt to be found....So I figure I'll buy it for the cover art. I go up to pay for it and heres how the conversation goes.
Clerk: There's no record in here!

Me: No I looked thru the whole pile and its not there.

Clerk: Its there somewhere, the store owner wont sell a cover without a record.

Me: There are several covers there with no records

Clerk: (places the cover behind the counter) Well Ill have the owner look for it because he wont sell a cover without a record.

Me: Ma'am , the sticker price is $3, the ones with records are $8 or $10, I dont think there is an album.

Clerk: Come back tomarrow and we will have found the record.

Ok So I left and went back today.

Clerk: Can I help you?

Me: Yes I was in yesterday and you were gonna find the record that goes with that cover, I point to the cover still sitting where she placed it yesterday.

Clerk: I looked everywhere and cant find it, I tried to call the owner but he is gone till next week...I cant sell a cover without a record.

Me: I am not asking for a discount, I am willing to pay the asking price of $3.
Clerk , Im sorry, come back next week when the owner gets back.

So now...Its almost like a challenge to me ...I want that cover and I want to hear the store owners point of view about this...
What does the forum think?

H

On 2010-02-28 17:31, USAF Retired wrote:
...What does the forum think?

I think the store owner should fire the clerk. Additionally, any store owner that goes away and doesn't allow a way for an employee to contact him/her isn't so bright either...

got this today. anyone have a clue where this is from or who made it? Its about 4 and a half feet tall, and is hollow fiberglass. i asked the seller if they had any info, all he knew was he bought it from an estate sale a while ago, and the red was the color it was when he purchased it. just looking at the chips in the paint it seems to be the original color, didnt OOH make fiberglass tikis? any help would be great, thanks!

also got a don the beachcomber match book, and a postcard from the dobbs house luau. any sub-geniuses out there here of this joint before? :D

Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.