Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Tiki Finds

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 11,539 replies

Those are the ones. I'm new to this so I was wondering if I can ask you some questions about Libbey? Do they come out with new designs often? Has anyone been able to find the tiki mug section on the Libbey website? I looked and looked but was defeated.

By the way I got into tiki mugs by gathering items for my mom's 50th birthday party and I'm hooked. Anyway she's an antique dealer and afterwards she's planning on selling most of the stuff (Hawiian and Tiki) at the Long Beach flea market. I'll go ahead and post when that will be if that's alright. It will be sometime after August but I'm not sure when.

T

Welcome aboard SBOJ! I found these mugs on the abestkitchen.com website. I also was unable to find them on the Libbey site. These are the only ones I'm aware of that they put out. They look like good mugs for daily use or an "all-out-break-the-glasses-in-the-fireplace" party. But the designs are pretty sketchy. Far better to buy from Munktiki or TikiFarm if you want cool modern mugs.

Sporkboyofjustice, check out this previous thread concerning Kon-Tiki in Tucson and Libbey mugs: https://tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=8141&forum=2&2
The one I have seems to be a bit of a different color and was a salesman's sample.
I'd still like to know if Kon-Tiki uses these now; I should be in Tucson for a few days next month so I'll make a bee line there when I arrive. I'm pretty sure these mugs were on the Libbey site late last year. Btw, cool name...sounds like one of the Mystery Men.

Here's a menu I picked up at an antique store last week. Anyone have anything from this place? I haven't heard of it before. I love the "added flavor" to the drink descriptions like the Lovers Cup - The chance you take is yours and the Pagan Love - Your risk not ours.

Yee-Haw & Aloha,

The World of Tiki Kiliki

[ Edited by: tiki_kiliki on 2004-03-31 07:30 ]

On 2004-03-30 14:52, sporkboyofjustice wrote:
Has anyone been able to find the tiki mug section on the Libbey website? I looked and looked but was defeated.

I've been meaning to post this for a while but my scanner was having issues. This is right out of the Libby catalog. Only one page of Tiki mugs (perhaps that's a blessing?) Anyway, Mrs. FZ ordered one of each style/color thru her work as "samples" :wink: I don't mind the green bamboo...

-Z

S
Swanky posted on Thu, Apr 1, 2004 9:56 PM

2 recent postcards

The Luau Beverly Hills - BRadshaw 2-8484 or CRestview 4-7077

Notice the square bamboo?

I couldn't wait to share my find (from up here in the tiki barren province of Alberta) with the rest of you folks.

I was at the antique mall and noticed a teak wood carved tiki sitting proudly on a table. I spotted him right away, as he is 30 inches tall (the biggest tiki I've seen outside of California). I tried to contain my enthusiasm and I calmly checked out the price tag. It wasn't too outrageous, and I was still able to get them to come down $20! The girl at the booth said her dad got it from Bora Bora in the late 60's.

I don't have a digital camera, so I made a quick sketch of the tiki...I know, I'm kinda being lame...

It may be jumping the gun to even ask this without a photo, but lemme know what you think (not of the sketch, the tiki):

J
JTD posted on Mon, Apr 5, 2004 6:43 AM

Slacks,
Great find! Looks like the mob put him in cement overshoes to sleep with the fishes.

JTD

Below is a shot of my cubical shelf. These are the mugs that I've gotten over the past 6 months or so.

UJ

Wow SporkBoy, I'm impressed on your finds and your braveness for taking them to work! If I did that the rednecks I work with would either actually use them to drink Pabst Blue Ribbon from or break them.

Thanks UJ, everyone is pretty mellow where I work so I know that they are relatively safe there. Plus I spend a lot of time at work so I can enjoy some of my collection most of the day.

Some of my coworkers do think that it's a bit strange that I wear aloha shirts to work every day but then if I skip a day they ask me what's wrong. I guess they've just gotten used to it by now.

I also keep a few mugs on my desk at work and I feel safe with them there. On occasions, I wear a Vintage Hawaiian shirt to work and people harass me about it soo much, so I feel you pain spork. People tell me that they can't take me serious when I'm dressed like that. Oh well...

On 2004-04-14 14:06, TikiTrevor wrote:
I also keep a few mugs on my desk at work and I feel safe with them there. On occasions, I wear a Vintage Hawaiian shirt to work and people harass me about it soo much, so I feel you pain spork. People tell me that they can't take me serious when I'm dressed like that. Oh well...

Tikitrevor,
A friend brought his new girlfriend over to my place for the first time.

First she tells me how much she hates some of the booze in my liquor cabinet, then she tells me that she would never hire anyone that wore a tropical shirt to an interview. Regardless of their resume or attitude. She was pretty much hacking all things I hold dear to bits. And I don't even know the gal.

I think I'll invite her to the grand opening of the Huki Lounge, whenever that happens. I'd rather get her pissed off mai tais than banish her forever.

Moral of the story: people will always look at you funny. don't sweat the petty bits, and don't pet the sweaty bits.

Wear that shirt proudly, and display those mugs. I do it too! We're what makes this world a more colourful place to be! You should see the looks I get when I wear my most colourful shirt in the middle of a Canadian winter!

Ok, I've been collecting for just about exactly a year, but I've never posted pictures of my lunch time thrift store finds. I left a few at home, but you get the idea.

Of course Flounder's painting is NOT a thrift store find, this shelf is temporary until the Huki Lounge is built.

The Hula nodder was my Grandmother's. She loved Tahiti and all things Hawaiian. This was the one thing I thought of when asked if there was anything I'd like from her estate after she passed away.

Here you will see my prized tiki, headhunter and mermaid mugs brought back from my trip to the Honolulu.

The Trader Vic's mug in this photo was brought back for me when my Mum went to Thailand last month. She ordered a scorpion bowl, they wouldn't sell it to her, and she had to drink the whole thing by herself! A nice waitress let her bring this mug home for me, after much begging and pleading.

These mugs have been relegated to the bottom shelf for obvious reasons.

Aloha, eh
-Tikiwahine
"The things that come to those that wait may be the things left by those who got there first"

[ Edited by: Tikiwahine on 2004-04-16 11:27 ]

Tiki Wahine,

What a great collection so far! I recently posted my collection online and have been collecting about a year as well. Its amazing how different your collection is than mine!

I think we only have four of the same mugs! Literally. :)

Keep the pics coming and best of luck to you on your quest!

Cool Manchu, you have some very cool mugs in your collection!

I guess it's all about the area, I am still surprised that I find anything here in Canada! On a little island no less! There are so many cool things down there that may never be found here. But sometimes the best part is the hunt! There's always e-bay I suppose.

Today I found a big Coco Joe's king Kamehameha I, an abalone shell and 4 huge scallop shells for my treasure chest, 2 Coco Joe's menehunes(only bought one) and two big brown ceramic figures, a hula dancer and a drum player by Treasure Craft. Funny thing...I was Sally Ann's 350th customer today so they let me choose a free book! I must be lucky today!

[ Edited by: filslash 2008-09-12 12:56 ]

8T

Well I finally picked up a copy of Martin Dennys "Quiet Village". Cover has a few condition problems but the disk looks unscratched. So for 50 cents, I took it home.
I hope this is the start to a good summer of yard sale finds!

I just HAD to take this picture when I had my camera with me on my last Thrifting trip.
Talk about owl invasion! Good thing there were two menehunes to keep them at bay.

O

Our latest find.....

A client is moving her mother in and was cleaning out the house. Look what we found in the garage. We made her an offer that we could live with and the glass floats have a new home.

The mother said she brought the floats back from Japan and they have been hanging in the garage for 34 years.

A total of seven floats, all in great condition with only slight fading on a few of the nets. The largest one is 18 inches.

Ona Tiki, what luck! Those are beautiful and will look fantastic in your home! :)

On 2004-04-20 15:09, OnaTiki wrote:
Our latest find.....

A client is moving her mother in and was cleaning out the house. Look what we found in the garage. We made her an offer that we could live with and the glass floats have a new home.

OnaTiki, here's the big picture:

You change the 3rd from last number from a zero to a 6 & it's big!

O

Thanks for making the pic bigger. I was frantically reading the FAQ's and searching to find the post where it was talked about how to enlarge the pics. :wink:

One thing, all the really old floats I've seen around here have almost black, dirty thick netting that used to be white or beige(once upon a time)Most made of hemp. These all go for $100 - $400 CDN(depending on who's selling them) Only in the US have I seen thin and/or coloured netting. I find that kind of strange. I guess it depends on who/when/where they were made. I would assume that those were made for the tourist trade, but maybe they were just mass produced ones(stronger rope, less expensive to manufacture)

**Tikis are like buses you wait ages then three come at once **

First up an Indonesian made faux Marquisian mask bought for £2 in a Christian charity store.
The tiny little three inch tall Maori Tiki souvenir bought for a staggering £3, in the heart foundation charity store where I suspect from some of the stupid high prices that their pricer is getting ideas from ebay. The old lady behind the counter even had the cheek to as me what it was and when I said " a little new Zealand Tiki" she had this look that said yes I thought so that’s why I priced it so high.
Finally its one of bigbro Tiki’s least favourite Tiki, but my top find of the day, bought from the across town sister store from my first find of the day. When I spotted it on a shelf behind the counter I almost let out a shriek of surprise, but I quickly regained my composure and asked as casually as possible "what price that statue was?" At £7.50 I snatched it up.
I now have to confess to having suffered "Tiki Envy" at the size of other forum members Tiki's since I could never find a Tiki bigger than six inches but now I have a nine incher and finally feel I can stand erect and proud, yes my tiny Tiki shame is over.

[ Edited by: atomictonytiki 2009-05-04 06:35 ]

On 2004-04-22 10:21, atomictonytiki wrote:

I could never find a Tiki bigger than six inches but now I have a nine incher and finally feel I can stand erect and proud, yes my tiny Tiki shame is over.

Today atomictonytiki became a man

A different take on the Tiki fork and spoon.......

[ Edited by: bongofury on 2004-04-24 19:12 ]

K
Kono posted on Sat, Apr 24, 2004 9:44 PM

I haven't posted in this thread in a while because I haven't been out looking all that much. I've been mostly getting my tiki fix off of ebay. Now I know some of you think that ebay's not "sporting" enough but, yes, it can be. The sport on ebay is to find expensive items for cheap. And you can! A recent example is an old (I'd guess 70s) Spirit of Hawaii pineapple liqueur gift package. It comes with a Spirit of Hawaii tiki mug, a Suck Em Up ceramic bottle cork and a sealed (still has the ATF paper tax seal) bottle of Liqueur D'Ananas Hawaiian Pineapple Liqueur in a tiki style bottle. I got it for $6.99! Why? Wasn't listed properly and wasn't listed under tiki or any other obvious listing. You can find unbelievable deals on ebay. I find at least one every 1-2 weeks or so.

Anyway, that's not why I'm posting tonight. I learned a bit of a lesson today. When I go to a brand new thrift store or antique shop I really look and look for that hidden treasure stuck behind all the crap in a corner. But when I go to shops that I've frequented before, I tend to zoom through just looking for new stuff. Same when I maniacally collected records. First time in a new record store you go through the entire bin, each and every bin. Subsequent visits I just flip through the front few records looking for the new arrivals. I realize no one's likely actually reading all of this drivel but I'll still continue.

Today I'm doing some OT work on Saturday to pick up some extra shekels and when I get ready to go home I get this weird, out of left field urge to go to my favorite antique mall. What will I find? I cruise through, anticipating a large tiki pole just around the corner or a mint copy of Jungle Jazz but nope. Zip, zilch, nada. Well, not exactly nada. I check out a booth that had previously had two pairs of tiki mugs which I had considered too expensive on a prior visit ($20 per pair). The two Orchids bikini girl mugs are gone but the two blue mermaid mugs are still there and marked down to $12 for the pair. I decide to grab them so that the trip's not a total waste.

I go up to the register and the (I think) owner is like "There's Kevin, with his tiki." We're talking and the other lady working there says "Are those from booth ?" "No, they're from booth ." "You know often has tiki. I just sold a tiki a couple hours ago."

I tell 'em that "Oh I looked all over. I checked and didn't see anymore tiki."

She says, "You really have to look in her booths."

"Oh, I did. What kind of tiki was it?"

"Just a little small tiki. From Trader Vics."

My heart sank. "What did it look like? What was it made of? Was it a person or a statue or what?"

"It was a small Hawaiian tiki god that said Trader Vics. Just sold it a couple of hours ago for only three dollars."

Uuuurrggggghhh! Three dollars!

"Are you sure it wasn't a salt or pepper shaker?"

"No, it looked like it was meant to be just a souvenir."

First off, I can't recall ever seeing anything like what she described. Second, I figure I better go back and look a little harder.

She offers to show me the lady's booths and I gladly accept. She's telling me how when you look through this dealer's stuff you have to really dig because she brings in tons of stuff every week and she just kinds of shoves things into corners, underneath other things etc. And tiki seems to be one of "her things." And she's right. The three booths this dealer has are dense with items. Stuff on shelves, piled up on the floor, all over the place. I always pay special attention to her booths, as she usually has unusual items, but apparently not enough attention.

Three booths: Booth one: Nothing.

Booth two: I'm digging and moving stuff and really looking when I find a small rum barrel looking mug that says "The Warehouse Restaurant, Marina del Rey, Newport Beach." Not your classic barrel mug but since I don't have ANY barrel mugs I'll take it. Hell, I gotta get something. I'm looking and looking and just about to leave the booth when down by my foot I spy a "Tiki Bowl" like from the Trader Vic's menu! I actually audibilized a "Whoooooaaaahhhh!" which did embarass me a little. Many of you have scorpion bowls and the like out the yazoo but this is my first. I know that Orchids made one like this, but this one is unmarked.

I'm happy at this point. I check out booth three and after much digging I find two great rocks glasses from the Mai Tai restaurant in Indianapolis. One has yellow graphics and just says "Mai Tai." The other has dark graphics and says "Mai Tai Restaurant, Indianapolis, Indiana." They both have a graphic of an A-frame hut and a graphic of a tiki. Sorry the pic quality sucks.

There were two mermaid mugs but I only put one in the pic. The whole lot was just a hair over $30.

Lesson learned: the Tiki is there. You just have to look, look, and look some more.

J

I must have done something right this week or something because I've stopped at the local thrift store twice this week and have been rewarded on both visits! Tuesday I stopped, did the initial scan of the glassware and immediately made contact with the mug you see on the left. The bizarre thing was that I saw the exact same mug on Ebay the night before in the vintage tiki section with only 6 minutes left to bid, 0 bids and a price of $7.00. I don't know what it was but if I find an item about to close that I remotely find decent I will snatch it up but that night something told me to let it go. The next day I found my mug with a $1.00 mark on the bottom...so I basically saved about $13.00 after I included shipping and handling. It is an unmarked, 2 faced, handled mug and I welcomed it into the collection!

The next morning around 2AM I had just left work and was pumping gas for the ride home when I was approached by an older man who just got out of his Corvette. He told me a typical con-man sob story about not being able to buy gas because his credit card was unreadable by the gas pump and that he had a long drive home and not enough fuel to get there. He asked me for money and told me he would mail it back to me...blah, blah, blah! Whatever! Something told me that the guy might be telling me the truth - I saw that his credit card looked wallet worn and he showed me the bill fold completely empty besides a couple ATM receipts. I handed the guy $5.00 and would you know it, he went in and paid for $5.00 worth of gas! He offered to send it back to me but I told him he didn't have to bother. The guy probably pulled off a decent scam but I felt pretty good - he seemed desperate and he didn't just take the money and drive off like I expected. I chalked it up as doing a good deed and completely forgot about it by the time I got home.

The next afternoon I did my usual stop at the Goodwill, did the preliminary scan - glasswares, wooden junk, owl shelf, furniture - nothing. I picked up a Little Golden book for my son but put it back when I saw a giant line at the register. I was just heading toward the door when I paused to take one last look at the bottom owl shelf and lo and behold with an audible gasp...the Moai on the right. At first I only caught sight of the top of his head and the bridge of his nose and immediately thought, some new "tiki" themed junk from Wal-Mart. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the thing was huge and not new at all - over a foot tall and marked clearly on the back - Treasure Craft '58 - Compton Calif.! If anyone had seen me they probably would have thought I lost my mind when I fell on the floor and started sobbing uncontrollably with joy - no just kidding. Seriously I must have been smiling ear to ear and the $3.00 scribble on the back made it even more exciting! This ranks up there as one of the best thrift scores ever in these parts and it's made my week! Was it good mana?

K
Kono posted on Thu, Apr 29, 2004 7:45 AM

That Treasure Craft Moai is a stupendous find. Congrats!

Now, did you go back and get that book for your son? :)

geewhiz that moai is the best! total congrats johnT!

john$

J

On 2004-04-29 07:45, Kono wrote:

Now, did you go back and get that book for your son? :)

Oh yeah I forgot to mention that...not only did I buy him the one book, the Tawny Scrawny Lion, I also got a copy of Scuffy the Tugboat! :)

JohnTiki

Aloha from the enchanted Pi Yi Grotto in exotic Bel Air Maryland!

[ Edited by: Johntiki on 2004-04-29 08:03 ]

Scuffy the Tugboat???? Man what a killer find!!!!!

If you think Scuffy is impressive...I almost bought a copy of "Tootle" but the binding was broken! :)

Hey Johntiki,

Great find on the Moai...what would it take to pry it from your hands????

J

On 2004-04-29 22:16, vegastikidude wrote:
Hey Johntiki,

Great find on the Moai...what would it take to pry it from your hands????

I dunno...at this time I think I'm gonna hold onto it...unless you want to make me an offer I can't refuse...:)

Aloha Everyone!

Here are my tiki finds that I haven’t listed in separate threads recently. Most were found in the wild, but a few were off of eBay as well.

2 – Velvet Paintings of Polynesian Scenes – Signed R. Tisce ‘65
1 – 18” Ku God – Coco Joes
1 – Set of bookends – Coco Joes
1 – little orange Westwood toothpick holder
1 – little blue Westwood toothpick holder
1 – Molokai Mule from the Sheraton
1 – Barrel Mug – Turtle Lounge
1 – set American Aluminum Bamboo coasters
2 – Hawaii Kai “Goddess of Love” skulls
1 – Smaller Pele Mug – Hawaiian Gardens, San Jose Ca (anyone know about this place?)
2 – Malio’s planter mugs from Santa Cruz (Keep Santa Cruz Weird)
1 – Marquesan 3 Tiki Bowl from OoH
1 – Vintage Mr. Bali Hai
2 – PMP Belly Ache mugs
2 – Small hand sewn pillows (thanks Arlene!)
1 – Hawaii Kai Skull Mug
1 – Hurricane glass from the Tonga Room at the Fairmont
2 – Black Moai – The Tiki’s – Monterey Park, Ca
1 – God of Longevity mug – Kuo Wah – San Francisco (however its spelled San Erancisco)
1 – Triangle Bamboo Table
1 – Round Rattan Table
Records – Les Baxter (Jewels of the Sean, Tamboo, Ritual of the Savage), Arthur Lyman (Hawaiian Sunset, Leis of Jazz, Isle of Enchantment), Martine Denny (Afro-Desia, Hawaii Goes a Go-Go)

I found this wooden Maori boat for £2.99 and i got one of those two face Tiki glasses of eBay.

[ Edited by: atomictonytiki 2009-01-20 14:06 ]

Ahhhh, I love the velvets, Manchu! I must know how much you paid for them so I can agonize over it. (I'm into self-masochism that way.) ;P

my wahine found this for me for about 20 cents (handful of pennies to random seller)

treasure craft 1961 ~ toothpick holder?

the head is broken off and glued back on, so that makes it worth 10 cents - ? :)

she also found me a signed martin denny album; i must photo for y'alls perusal. i think the bongo player signed it as well.

j$

[ Edited by: Johnny Dollar on 2004-05-03 09:55 ]

Hello kitschywoman,

I paid 25 bucks for the both of them. They aren't spectacular, but they really fit my motif...:wink:

-CMC

Well, I think they're pretty spectacular, especially for 25 bucks! They strongly resemble one I've got hanging in my living room.

Johnny Dollar wrote:
my wahine found this for me for about 20 cents (handful of pennies to random seller)

treasure craft 1961 ~ toothpick holder?...

J$~
Yes, you put toothpicks in the holes. It is the centerpiece to this (ebay example) tray. The trays came in the orange/red and there's a green/blue one. It just sits in the middle of the tray. Look closely to the above linked ebay item and you will see that on the right side of the trays center there is an "open" spot. That is the part where your Menehune sits while the pineapple/toothpick part sits in the center. Get the above linked tray if you can. If you miss out, don't worry, since these are on ebay ALL the time.

Just my 2 coconuts worth.

Oh, and don't bid over $12 (before shipping). Like I said, you can get them for a pretty low price on ebay. Do buy insurance though.

Enter The SoCal Hoity Toity Schedule

[ Edited by: SugarCaddyDaddy on 2004-05-03 13:58 ]

cool, thanks!

u da man

j$

V
virani posted on Mon, May 3, 2004 3:17 PM

This is 5 zine from 1959 named kon tiki. It's a comic for kids with the kon tiki story and other adventures comics.
Great pictures...

there is a semicircular cutout at the lower right, the vinyl is mint, and is signed
and includes what looks alike bongos and a signature. any comments out there?

tha wahine found it fer two bits this weekend...

mahalo, j$

also decided to dig these out, found them as a lot about two years ago. they're kind of fun all together. bottom markings, orchids of hawaii, japan.

(retro): got this at 'oh! said rose' in baltimore last weekend.

the 'ku' buttons sold it for me.

j$

[ Edited by: Johnny Dollar on 2004-05-04 07:55 ]

On 2004-05-04 07:41, Johnny Dollar wrote:
there is a semicircular cutout at the lower right, the vinyl is mint, and is signed
and includes what looks alike bongos and a signature. any comments out there?

j$

[ Edited by: Johnny Dollar on 2004-05-04 07:55 ]

j$, The Signature belongs to Augie Colon, Mr. Denny's Bongoist (is that a word?) & percussionist. Here's another I found on the internet:

& a picture of Mr. Colon from his album"Chant of the Jungle:"

& another attributed to Mr. Denny:

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 11539 replies