Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Tiki Finds

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 11,539 replies

Last night I went to pick up these....

And I ended up with these too....

They are from the Coral Reef in Sacramento. I know that they are copies of the originals but they are exceptionally well done copies...
Is anyone familiar with the artist Eddy Joe Martin?

The Frames are really cool too! The backing that the velvet was mounted on has warped and the velvet is hanging loose so I could use some advice on remounting to new backing...

Cheers,
John

while I'm at it here are a few other things I've come across lately...

These three watercolors by an artist named Carlo...The large one is 5 feet long...it has some water damage across the top that I'm sure if can be covered up...but still pretty cool....

This blue Tepco Skull...that it appears a hobbyist may have re-glazed blue...never seen a blue one but if it is a "re-spray" it looks cool...

These four Quyle Kilns cups/mugs...funny thing is I found them just a few days after TikiTie posted one....

And this guy....I think he is from OA but would appreciate a confirmation on that...

Cheers,
John

Nice scores, John. I thought those velvets were very fairly priced - PTD and I checked out that sellers stash a month or so ago. And that Ku carving is sweet!

Btw, remember that painting above my couch? That is also a Carlo... nice scores on yours too.

Tiki farm moai soap dispenser, 2 hawaiian airlines tiki mai tai bottles, a wood tiki marked "Tahiti 1978", and 3 different trader Vic swizzles.

Frank schirman couple and 4 small westwoods.

Complete 1968 anekona hawaiian outrigger model

Aku Aku and The Mainlander

Both new to me

Nice finds S D.
My wife found this Enchanted T R pin at our local ˝Goodwill.I like how Donald hides behind the " Duck" shield (sorry bout the blurriness). Oh those clever folks at Disney!
All I found were two of these non- tiki mug from the Jekyll and Hyde club in NYC. I have their "Warrior" (green) mug. The J and K club consisted of two "spooky horror"themed restaurants that may have gone out of business last month.
Cheers

This/last weeks stuff:

From the DTBC tiki marketplace:

Pair of made in Phillipines Tahitian tikis from Ericdared and Adze from Tikishaker:

Polyart? tiki I didn't have yet

Regular haunts produced

Hawaiian Tonga Maui 2000 Tiki

Crazy Al tiki propane patio heater:

It works

Framed SS Lurline menu from 1940

Buzzy Out!

When will the "BUZZ" museum of tiki open?

THIS WEEKS FINDS-

BUNCH OF POSTCARDS...

KEAUHOU BEACH HOTEL

THE NUUANU PALI
IT WAS HERE THAT KAMEHAMEHA THE GREAT COMPLETED HIS VICTORY OVER THE KING OF OAHU, SENDING HIS TROOPS TO DEATH OVER THE STEEP CLIFS (BACK OF POSTCARD)

Never seen a Tiki Leilani pitcher before. That's interesting.

It's huge

Two's Company Tiki Pitcher

Stumbled on this neat lookin' Ku in a little junk shop not too far from the homestead
earlier this afternoon...

He's about 17" tall and DENSE... Whatever wood they made him out of is mighty sturdy.

My guess is Hawaiian tourist trade- it's definitely not from the Philippines (at least there's no tell-tale "made in the Philippines" sticker)

His backside says "Made By L. Young." Doesn't sound terribly Hawaiian, either... who knows.

He looks old to me- there are little telltale cracks around the edges here and there. The guy we bought it from says he came from an estate sale of an older couple.

Regardless, he stuck out like a sore thumb when we were carrying him home 2 miles through the Chicago snow!

--Pete

Nice find Ragbag. Are you sure it's wood? I've seen a lot of really dense resin, but I'm not sure they can be made THAT large.

Looks like some good stuff in the background of your pics, too!

While driving down Scott just past Mort's liquor on Shelter Island I noticed a sign for a consignment shop. The sign actually said consignment/tavern. Intrigued, we entered the shop and sure enough there was plenty of stuff for sale and there was a very nice bar. Just beer and wine however. No tiki (I thought) although there was some nautical acroutements. As we were leaving my wife spotted a 3 and a half foot tall palm wood Ku. The barkeep quoted a price and I hesitated while trying to figure out if he would fit into the back of my car. The barkeep noticed my hesitation and quickly dropped the price by 25 bucks so this tiki was destined for a ride north. The shopkeeper/barkeep knew nothing about this tiki. He said they've had him for some time and they wanted it gone They have been using the top of the tikis head as a tray for their darts. Darthead is pretty scruffy and needs a good cleaning and refinishing.
Apparently Darthead has been kept outside-parts of him are very sun bleached. I'll be posting additional pix once I clean him up and situated in the Happy Talk lounge.
Cheers

Some great finds going on. Great score Nui'umi'umi. Once you restore that Tiki it should look pretty good :D.

Hey SilverLine-

This one's definitely wood, and I think it's gotta be an older piece. The wood is similar to the type
we've found countless other small tourist trade Tikis made out of, I've just never stumbled on one this big.
We were quite psyched to find him!

Not as big as Darthead, though- nice find! Not too many tikis like that left lurking in
the wild here in the Midwest, but one can always hope...

--Pete

scored a couple thing's today.from the 'KON TIKI' Cleveland.

10ft. tall

Here's a few other recent finds...

A Hawaiian Inn knife licker mug (we've been wanting one of those for awhile, especially since we're planning on going there this year), Kahiki S&P shakers, a couple of single Bali Hai and Trader Vic's S&P shakers (if anybody has singles to sell... we gotta finish our pairs!), an awesome Tonga Room slim bucket mug my dad found for us for Christmas, and an OMC Chinese mug stamped with the San Francisco Holiday Inn Chinatown on the bottom (if anyone wants to trade for the version with glasses, I'm game.)

Some other excellent stuff as well (if I do say so), such as...

This common 2-faced clear tiki goblet, but with markings from the long-running (and now closed) Mai Khi Lounge in Milwaukee, WI... I'd never seen anything with markings from there for sale before. This was snagged in a thrift shop not far from where it once stood...

We also found this excellent United Airlines Menehune decanter with all his accoutrements...

A set of these cool Ron Rico Rum glasses marked copyright 1952 for $3 each...

This funky 10" record featuring Trader Vic talking about going on safari with Bing Crosby and their wives, with a generic song about hunting by the Bingster himself on the B side (I can't figure what promotion this was used for, but there's no label markings on it, so it was definitely some kinda goofy promotional item. I do enjoy how they talk casually about shooting tigers and such... a lot's changed since then, like... I dunno... the tiger population...)

An Exotica gem I've been looking for in the wild for years (I am a total die-hard nerd for Exotica LPs... this elusive Chaino LP had been on the top of my list for a long, long while now...)

And... does anybody know anything about this mug?? Super cool design and it comes with a wooden stand similar to what Kwak Belgian beer is served in. There's a good amount of crazing, so I'm sure its old, but the only marking just says "Japan." A scan of Ooga Mooga shows nothing with the usual suspects (OMC, Orchids)... ideas??

More soon!
--Pete

Kool finds in Chicago

Hey R B, nice finds. How tall is the yellow Mug on the stand? He kinda looks "Javanese". It will be interesting as we find out more about this guy. We got us plenny knowledgeable folks out there'
Cheers

The yellow-ish mug with the wooden stand is about 9" tall without the stand.

It's definitely not straight-up Tiki in design, in the traditional sense, but as
a big fan of Belgian and German beers (which use a similar goblet with wooden
stand set-up in certain situations) I was glad to find the cross-over, no matter
how distant!

Hopefully somebody out there has seen one... all of my research has come to a dead
end.

--Pete

On 2013-01-24 18:20, nui 'umi 'umi wrote:
All I found were two of these non- tiki mug from the Jekyll and Hyde club in NYC. I have their "Warrior" (green) mug. The J and K club consisted of two "spooky horror" themed restaurants that may have gone out of business last month.

there were several jekyl & hyde clubs as well as a jack the ripper & werewolf themed bar all owned by the same company. they are supposed to be opening a new one in times square.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jekyll_%26_Hyde_Club

HT

AWESOME finds Ragbag. And I dig the non-tiki tiki mug.

Some are finds, some are presents.

and then of course, some are so wrong they're right.

And... does anybody know anything about this mug?? Super cool design and it comes with a wooden stand similar to what Kwak Belgian beer is served in. There's a good amount of crazing, so I'm sure its old, but the only marking just says "Japan." A scan of Ooga Mooga shows nothing with the usual suspects (OMC, Orchids)... ideas??

More soon!
--Pete

I think the mug might be made by Rossini. The face appears to be the same as the oil lamp on page 159 of Tiki Quest. I have several of the hibachis on the same page.
Nice find on the Chaino record!
Erik

P.S. The shape of the mug is kinda like a Coachman's Quaff (yard of ale glass). Your's could be a foot of ale. :)

Viva Kate!

[ Edited by: Mr. NoNaMe 2013-01-28 15:06 ]

The Tikiphreaks ride again! You guys are nothing short of amazing.
Mahlao Eric!
David

Mr. NoNaMe-

THANK YOU!

That link is perfect, and is EXACTLY the thread I was hoping to find on here when I picked up this guy.

But, my issue was... what do you search for? "Yard O' Tiki" ? "Beer Bong Tiki" ? "Kwak Tiki" ?? I was at a loss. But apparently, any of those would've worked... whoops!

This is GREAT!

The ultimate "duh" moment in all this, of course, coming from the fact that we --HAVE-- the hibachi with similar facial features, I just didn't put it together 'til now. Too many rum cobwebs.

THAT'S what Tiki Central is for!

Thanks much!

--Pete

Some great Tiki finds going on. :D

does anyone know the origin of dark wood,(mahogany maybe) NEW ZEALAND , Maori carvings, Many with abalone eyes that Steve Crane used in most of his restaurants?
example;this one is 28" X 108"

or this;

OR the 6 FT. hard wood Maori Tiki like the one on page 98 of 'BOT'
Was this stuff done by generic "On staff type" carvers, or "imported in bulk type carvings", or was there a 'NAME' involved?

"Pets are welcome,Children 'MUST' be on leash" TD

[ Edited by: TIKI DAVID 2013-01-30 06:46 ]

Today's lunchtime stop was not fruitless. A hurricane glass from tur Mai Kai, Kalamazoo.

Nice find Bongo and a rare one as well even here in Kalamazoo!!

I would consider this my second best tiki find (after the original Leeteg) a Trader Vic's apertif stem from Morgantown Glass Guild circa late 50s early 60s (?) . . . $1.50!

. . . made my day!

[ Edited by: The Blue Kahuna 2013-01-30 18:59 ]

Nice storyboard Lori. What's the story behind it? Forgive me, no pun intended. At first I thought it to be monochromatic but as I looked closer it appears that the ground behind the figures, trees,etc. is brown. What are the dimensions of your board?
Mahalo

Nice board Lori!!

This Papua New Guinea storyboard is an etsy.com find. The seller didn't know what they had and it was only labeled 'nautical carving' which it kinda is. It was an inexpensive purchase.
It's 33x16. It does have ochre that has been rubbed into the background along with the usual white lime. I read that a natural wax from the kapiak tree is also rubbed onto the finished pieces.
Maybe a thread should be started for people to post pictures of their storyboards. I've got 3. The Palau storyboard I have is my favorite.
I would like to learn how to read the stories portrayed on them.

L

Here's a Palau storyboard dated 1952. Found at Salvation Army.

On 2013-02-01 08:44, lancelink wrote:
Here's a Palau storyboard dated 1952. Found at Salvation Army.

lancelink, great find! I've been hoping to find a cheap painted storyboard in the wild, it's nice to know that it can be done.

"Here's a Palau storyboard dated 1952. Found at Salvation Army".
Lancelink, Check out the reverse side of your board . Mine had a name carved into it and this led me to research (online) Yap/palaua storyboards and I got quite an education. I had appreciated my board from an artistic standpoint but when I found out that the painted boards were pretty pricey my appreciation went up a lot more. Anyway, when you have some time on your hands check em out online. Congrat's on your find.
One more thing, Bigbro visited the Long BeachPacific Island Ethnic museum in 2011,He posted some nice pix. Scroll down to the 5th pic and you might be surprised at how similar that board is to yours-no doubt the same artist.
Nice photos Sven, Hope it was okay to use your TC handle.

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2013-02-02 00:40 ]

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2013-02-02 00:41 ]

tiki napkin rings - ??? :D

Maori Soul Box's, you didn't open them.....did you!

There must be a whole dinner set with those tikis. I have the salad tosser fork and spoon:

Buzzy Out!

L

On 2013-02-02 00:15, nui 'umi 'umi wrote:

"Here's a Palau storyboard dated 1952. Found at Salvation Army".
Lancelink, Check out the reverse side of your board . Mine had a name carved into it and this led me to research (online) Yap/palaua storyboards and I got quite an education. I had appreciated my board from an artistic standpoint but when I found out that the painted boards were pretty pricey my appreciation went up a lot more. Anyway, when you have some time on your hands check em out online. Congrat's on your find.
One more thing, Bigbro visited the Long BeachPacific Island Ethnic museum in 2011,He posted some nice pix. Scroll down to the 5th pic and you might be surprised at how similar that board is to yours-no doubt the same artist.
Nice photos Sven, Hope it was okay to use your TC handle.

This board is signed (carved) in the upper right front corner. "Ngiraibuuh, Airai Palau IS January 1952". I have seen others with the same name.

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2013-02-02 00:40 ]

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2013-02-02 00:41 ]

Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.