Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Tiki Finds

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 11,539 replies

I picked-up this giant carved mask at a local vintage store (Home Ec) about an hour after someone came in and sold it to the store. It was a great price considering the size--over 4 ft tall! A little voice in my head was whispering to me all day to "go to Home Ec." I walked in and this was the first thing I saw...

It's now going to be the centerpiece of my basement bar! :)

I was cleaning out the garage and found a box of my Grandfather's things. Inside of it was this gem! An original brochure from the opening of the Tiki Room at Disneyland! He was a plasterer by trade and worked on the original Matterhorn and Sleeping Beauty's Castle.The scan is kind of large but I wanted to share the text as well. Love the French Puppet Show guy!

[ Edited by: stuff-o-rama on 2004-08-14 18:08 ]

A thrift store find for 50 cents. An "HIP Original". The sticker on the back reads, "THE BIG HIBISCUS PUPU DISH. Made by Hawaiians with Lava."

I hope Pele's infamous curse will overlook the lava bit...

Stuff-O-Rama,

Nice find! Those brochures go for a bundle on E-bay when they come up for auction. Congrats!

Sabu

On 2004-08-15 18:47, Sabu The Coconut Boy wrote:
Stuff-O-Rama,

Nice find! Those brochures go for a bundle on E-bay when they come up for auction. Congrats!

Sabu

I also found a bunch of Original Mickey Mouse Club albums from the '50s, complete with the books and extras. I'm keeping them all though. Hopefully I won't get so strapped for cash that I'd have to eBay them. I'll just put 'em on the hi-fi and "Sing-Along with Jimmy Dodd"!!

Stuff-o-rama --

Really nice brochure, just excellent -- thanks for posting -- !

I

I previously posted some of these pictures in the 'Tiki Events' forum, but decided it made more sense to display it here.

I was able to attend the recent Tiki Pa-ina event in Wisconsin, where I had the privelege of purchasing some neat works of tiki from various artists.

The first pictures are of an unusual 8 foot tall carving done by Jimmy (Chisel Slinger) from Exotic Arts in Ohio. Two pictures here - first an overall one showing the height and scale of the carving, and then a closer close-up. I discovered my ceilings were only 7 and a half feet tall, so I had to saw off 6 inches from the bottom - still a neat item, and it looks great in the room.

Here is another carving, accented with a bit of color, also from the Exotic Arts booth. The official event mug is on the extreme left, the other two mugs are from the Tiki Lounge in Pittsburgh, PA.

And finally a painting by Conga-Tiki, and a carving by Lake Surfer. This was the smallest (and least expensive) carving that Lake Sufer had on display, but I did like the tongue effect on it. I'm already kicking myself for not buying one of Lake Surfer's larger pieces.

Also, no picture of the CD put out by the Mensters, Conga-Tiki's group which I also picked up. I enjoyed this CD - ambient percussion that I found perfect for those moments when driving through Illinois cornfields, and one wants to be in a laid back, relaxing mode. There is good stuff happening in the North woods of Wisconsin.

Vern

After a bit of a dry spell i found this odd Maori thing, it might be a musical instrument?

a pair a vintage fiberglass lamp shades for £2 the pair

and finally this big podwood tiki mask for a tenner.

(note from 2009, the Maori instrument turned out to be Putorino and when I eventually sold it I made over £50)

[ Edited by: atomictonytiki 2009-01-20 14:21 ]

S.O.S.

Need help STAT! Bad man tryin' to pull a fast one on me.

Who got Mark Blackburn Hawaiiana book? In it are two sets of lamps, one monkeypod, the other set koa wood. What values are listed for each?

I hate dat talkin' bout money bro but gotta buy kava & java.

I found these puppies at the local thrift shop. Not too bad. It's really dry up here so I was happy to get these. They closed down the old Drive-In theater where they had a flea market every Sunday here to make room for a shopping mall. Just what we need!! I pulled some nice velvets and mugs out of there. Since then it's pretty slim pickin's. Every Sunday I would find something decent.
The ones on the left are Maori carved salt and pepper shakers with handles on the back. There's a small resin type of material Maori Tiki up front and two "Japan" marked mugs. All for $15 bucks. Can't really complain!

On 2004-08-20 22:59, TabooDan wrote:
[ All for $15 bucks. Can't really complain!

argh! canadian $ ~ thats like.. half off real money! :wink:

very nice finds indeed.

S

After Tiki Torch Nights we stopped at a couple of antique malls and searched. I have to admit I walked past the matchbooks. Stephanie has an incredible eye for tiki and has seen what I missed several times. This time, there was a jar with matchbooks behind some stuff and she spotted a corner of the Don the Beachcomber's and brought it to me. A jar of junk other than that, and then I saw the Blue Hawaii book from Nashville! Wow. $4 I am hoping to find the owners some day and figure out if my Guanko came from there. Another tapa style shirt, this one in a great green $25, a Coco Joes $4, and 4 78s of Lani McIntire, a favorite for $8.

The Swank Pad Broadcast - If it's Swank...

[ Edited by: Swanky 2006-03-07 16:36 ]

Stopped by a local thrift store yesterday and came up with this carved tiki. Stands about 9" tall and cost me 2 bucks.

Today went out to some antique stores and came up with this loot. All cost about $30.00

Not bad for 2 days of searchin'

tiki junkman

hey tj, good deal on the treasure craft coffee mugs - when i got one like the one on the right i initially disliked it but now i love it. j$

I got all these in the past week:

This huge Maori carving was about $10. Not an old one, but it's nice-looking, and one of the bigger ones that someone no doubt brought back from New Zealand as a present.

Sorry for the blurry photo. This is the 19th century mask I bought for £50 that I mentioned in another thread. There's some ancient dust in those crevices!

Another Maori artifact - marked 1981! This fine decanter cost £4 from an antiques shop.

Trader Woody

M

ok found this guy this morning...a souvenir coin from the Aku Aku...the back reads RUB MY NOSE FOR GOOD LUCK AT THE STARDUST HOTEL

Also found this one this week...it is a treasure craft neptune tiki mug but it has 4 different glazes on it.

[ Edited by: mexatiki on 2004-08-28 17:03 ]

Cool mug! The mask, Woody, is Mindibit, Upper Sepik, NG, no?

Well the trip to terre haute IN went well, many a diesel truck were watched and much soot was inhaled. I didn't do any searching for tiki while in t.h., but an antique mall called me in hopkinsville. This is what I found. I don't know if the headhunter is homemade, but I think there was a post somewhere with a similar mug. It's only markings are "tucson ce" on the bottom - $6.00. The cool barrel without handle(my pref.) was a great find at a quarter. The awesome crazy native marked "sumo wrestler mug" was the coolest find...I was walking out of the bathroom and when I came out it was right in front me with it's big grin(I have been looking for this one for a while it looks just like my coffee fiend, ex-supervisor, he was/is a marine, and if I find him again I will probably give it to him) - 8.00. The last thing was the neat looking candle holder, it has that nice burned look, and an excellent looking amber glass that is real old looking. The figures are on all four corners, in time it will probably end up on the bay, but for now it may be witco it might be junk at 3 bucks it is darn cool. ,

Nice finds Mike,
I'd hang on to that "Sumo Wrestler" mug. I do believe that it is a vintage Trader Vics mug.
Aloha,
"tiki"

On 2003-04-27 14:46, tikimonkey wrote:
I just went to the Petaluma Antique fair and found a signed 1946 (1st) Edition Trader Vic's Book of Food and Drink, no jacket, signed by Trader Vic.

Was wondering if anyone knows if this book has much in the way of worth?

my wahine found the same book, signed by tv, today, for 5 clams.

interesting note, no mai tai recipe ~ although he invented the mai tai in 1944 - ?

subtext? :)

[ Edited by: Johnny Dollar on 2004-09-06 06:32 ]

T
TNTiki posted on Sun, Sep 5, 2004 2:15 PM

[ Edited by: TNTiki on 2004-11-06 17:18 ]

K
Kono posted on Thu, Sep 9, 2004 5:59 PM

When Hurricane Frances threatened to strike my area last week, I made like a little gurly man and scooted up to my parent's house for a few days. The big storm turned out to be less than expected (my electricity never even went out) but I got to miss three days of work and I found some tiki items.

This is Orlando tiki:

The two items on the left I found in a thrift just before I left. A wooden parrot and a plaque of a polynesian type lady. The plaque is glued to a board and the image is sort of impressed into material. Kind of like the opposite of a relief, I'm sure there's a name for the style. She has mighty big feet which I find to be semi-disturbing yet semi-intriguing. :-? The item on the right I found today. It's a ceramic candle holder that kind of looks like one of those Outrigger moai mugs. The top is open like a mug with a shallow recessed area for inserting a candle. The eyes are drilled out and the holes run up to the candle so that the wax can run out the eyes just like one of those "crying tiki candles" except that you can clean this guy up an put a new candle in! The white blotches are there because the thrift store ladies taped a candle to it and the tape ripped off the paint. So, I'll have to repaint it. Underneath the candle holder is a gold sticker that says "MANUFACTURED BY TIKI ISLES ENTERPRISES, INC. LONGWOOD, FLA 32750." Longwood is a "suburb" of Orlando and I find this very interesting. Did there used to be a company in the area that designed and manufactured tiki goods? I did a google and found nothing and switchboard shows no listing for the company, but I did inadvertently learn that there's a Japanese steak house on International Drive called Mai Tiki(!). A mystery.

So...I went to Kentucky to ride out the storm and I hit a couple of antique malls:

Left to right: an unmarked pair of large S/P shakers; a very large Coco Joe's "Winner Tiki;" tiny Westwood mug/shot glass/toothpick holder; a boxed set of 45s from the musical "South Pacific;" an unmarked handled mug; a Coco Joe's wahine letter opener and a Coco Joe's leaning Lono. I always wanted one of those leaning/warped Coco Joes.

Perhaps my best finds. The day before I left I remembered how poor the selection of rums are in Florida and decided to check the liquor selection in KY. I went to the local upscale liquor store and found the above three items that cannot be found (as far as I know - and I've LOOKED and inquired) in Florida. Damn that macadamia nut liqueur is tasty! Tastes like pecan sandies. Yum.

I passed 20+ antique stores and malls on the trip but could not stop due to time issues and because my dog was with me. God knows what great stuff I passed.

Weirdo fact: little Dothan Alabama has two(!) urban/hip hop stations that are actually quite good. Weirdo fact dieux: most radio markets in the South have a station called "Real Rock" as in "Real Rock 107" or "Real Rock 99.5" and they all have a DJ nicknamed "Buckethead." Why?

[ Edited by: Kono on 2004-09-16 19:22 ]

J

Super cool find on the South Pacific 45's - I've been looking for them ever since I first cracked open the BOT!

[ Edited by: filslash 2008-03-26 12:59 ]

T

Here's a nice find I had a few weeks back at a flea market. Very nice vintage velvet!
I ran right across the room when I saw her hanging there. I asked the guy how much and he said $30.00. I said "$30.00?" He said "How about $20.00?" I said "sounds good". Paid the man and was grinning the rest of the day. I was just shocked that he was asking $30.00. I thought it would be more. I didn't mean anyhting when I repeated the amount that he said I was just checking out the velvet and thinking about it. Saved myself $10.00 and didn't even have to do anything!! Oh, and that's $20.00 Canadian funds which is like $4.50 US (HA HA!)

I know nothing about this painting and the other day was on ebay and saw a cooking book which has the exact picture of the same girl on it! Pretty cool! The girl jogged my memory now and I went to my Hawaiian album collection and sure enough in my collection was a album form the Polynesian Cultural center advertising Hawaii and sure enough there's a picture of the same girl!! Pretty cool to have a velvet that was done probably from the same photos. Would be a good investigation once I get some time. Thought some of you might be interested. Mahalo! Dan

[ Edited by: TabooDan on 2004-09-10 02:39 ]

excellent sleuthing dan!

kick ass finds kono ~ i mostly envy your liquor finds ~

A

Yeah Dan,
Great post.
Mahalo,
Al

Well I didn't actually find these, my birthday was yesterday (9-11) so enjoy my presents:

Roughly from Left to Right (please excuse the cluter, we just got home when I snapped the photo): Bamboo towel rack from my new bar. Family Dollar magnets (With a TIKI). Two Benihana mugs (Bear & Buddah). Tiki Time clock. CoCo Joes Statue (Kamehamehai). Jan & Den "Surf City" Cassette (Neice & Nephew got me). Pu-Pu (poo-poo?) Platter. Tiki bobblehead. Tiki Farm mug made by Squid (but not from him/her). Rum Barrel... that's now empty. Aloha Coffee mug. Tiki bar sign. Beach in a bottle.
Not a bad haul huh.

Ah there is nothing better than when your nearest and dearest finally understand what you want for your birthday, nothing but Tiki stuff.

Gift-giving to Satan's Sin became much easier for family and friends once they understood all I cared about was tiki and barware.

Nice haul!

On 2004-09-12 01:13, Unkle John wrote:
Well I didn't actually find these, my birthday was yesterday (9-11) so enjoy my presents:

Roughly from Left to Right (please excuse the cluter, we just got home when I snapped the photo): Bamboo towel rack from my new bar. Family Dollar magnets (With a TIKI). Two Benihana mugs (Bear & Buddah). Tiki Time clock. CoCo Joes Statue (Kamehamehai). Jan & Den "Surf City" Cassette (Neice & Nephew got me). Pu-Pu (poo-poo?) Platter. Tiki bobblehead. Tiki Farm mug made by Squid (but not from him/her). Rum Barrel... that's now empty. Aloha Coffee mug. Tiki bar sign. Beach in a bottle.
Not a bad haul huh.

I think the Benihana Bear is really a Tanuki, the Japanese "Magical Racoon-like Dog with Shape-Shifting Powers [and] Modern-Day God of Gluttony, Boozing, and Restauranteurs."

I think the Benihana Bear is really a Tanuki, the Japanese "Magical Racoon-like Dog with Shape-Shifting Powers [and] Modern-Day God of Gluttony, Boozing, and Restauranteurs."

Tanuki was the word i was looking for.

I found this today but it will need some tlc(bad cork, and a not visiable chip/hole under the back of head). Then it will end up on ebay most likely. It's a jim beam decanter, with united airlines on the side and 10th anniversary hawaiian open on the back of the base. All the white in the hair and beard are just painted to make him look old. He is holding a golf ball in his left hand. Made by regal china co. 1974.

[ Edited by: Mike the Headhunter on 2004-09-16 19:45 ]

J

Hello all...
Last month or so has been a real pain, with all the hurricanes, no power, having to throw out all the condiments I had been collecting 'cause the fridge didn't work, etc.
On the bright side, we stayed alive.
On the no-so-bright-but-still-pretty-damn-bright side, the Tiki hunts have been VERY successful.
Most are from thrifting, though a few have been from flea markets, an antique show or two and an odd eBay score.
Here goes:

A Hawaiian Inn mug or two, 2 Hawaii Kai mugs, a Trader Pangs black thingy from Hilo Hatties, 2 cool Xmas ornaments from Universal Studios, a tiny couple of Westwoods, a CocoJoes #257 and oops a Panther PEZ that I just had to show off (check it out Humuhumu, I hoped you can appreciate what a find it was for only $3).

From the first picture, the maiden mug is from the "Tiki Club" in Thibodaux, LA. It has a sticker on the back that I have not seen before:

2 Coconut Willy's mugs, a Karate Punch mug and another Westwood. I went into a thrift store and saw the Malware head and grabbed it for a couple bucks. Almost missed the Marquesan wooden tiki just below it.

A cool little lamp. Made in Japan. Mood lighting for the bar...

Same thrift store, different day. Felt something staring at me. Entitled "Tahitian Beauty" by JH Lynch. Now she stares at me all the time. Kinda creepy, but well worth the $15...

A sweet Percy Faith album, the other Karate Punch mug, a Tapa cloth frame and a Daga Molokai Mule mug.

A pair of handpainted Tapa and woven reed placemats.

Finally:

A pair of Matsonia menus from 1962, an unmarked green mug, an oil lamp (missing the top, though - see TikiQuest p160) an odd little shot-glass thingy and two tall glasses, one with nude maidens embossed (seen these before) the other with guys on it (not seen that one)...

Whew.
Thats it. I'm spent (literally and figuratively)

J

Wow - those are some damn fine scores! I especially love that wooden Marquesan tiki! I'd give my left arm to find one of them in a thrift store! My only carving score was this baby, as posted before...

Someone help me on my ethnography...where is he from?

K

A few recent finds:

The surfer mug on the left I found at Goodwill and is from Trader Dicks. No makers mark. I don't really collect these so it's up on Ebay. Click here if you want to check it out.

The blue mini-mug I'm pretty sure is a Tiki Farm mug (I have a larger one just like it). Another Goodwill find for $0.59. The back says "Whalers." Anyone know where that is? I thought I remember seeing a "Whalers" restaurant in Maui.

The Tiki Bob mug is from Hawaiian Village in Tampa. I got this on Ebay but it was only $10.00!!

[ Edited by: Juno on 2004-09-17 14:02 ]

[ Edited by: Juno on 2004-09-17 14:03 ]

K

Yours looks to be Marquesan too, Johntiki.

K
Kono posted on Fri, Sep 17, 2004 8:49 PM

On 2004-09-17 20:39, KAHAKA wrote:
Yours looks to be Marquesan too, Johntiki.

Alright then johntiki, let's have the left arm! You got what you wished. Now it's time to pay the gods!

J

:lol: Oh damn - I should watch what I wish for!

Juno, when I leave the area, I'll give you my list of tiki "sweet spots" :wink:

I'm so happy.

I've wanted August Holland's Pearl of Wisdom ever since TC made me aware of it. I was returning a business call on my cell while checking the local Goodwill. I rounded the corner of an aisle and thought "this is the time I find that print." There is was, in darn near perfect condition. The only problem was masking my delight and staying calm on the phone.
It has a real treat for a documentation junkie like me: the label on the back. I've had a really good month for such things:

The original price was $14.99. Would anyone know when this print was offered by Sears?

[ Edited by: tikijackalope 2005-11-08 12:25 ]

Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.