Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Conga....Wisconsin stuff!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 2,403 replies

H
hewey posted on Sat, Nov 10, 2007 2:40 PM

After all that finishing drama he came out sweet in the end :D I like it

S

The Cold guy is looking great. I like the new finish stain color.
Nice work.

B

Nice stuff Conga I think your stern-faced looking Moai is Dennis Hoppers twin brother and the other tiki is a twin from one of Boskos tikis. :lol: :lol: :lol: Don't worry 'bout it , finish'em up and let'em hang arounf yer place fer awhile!

H

Your last carving is so good. :)

Looks Great!
I know that feeling of winter creeping in way too fast! So much for carving outside in a t-shirt!

Looks good, Conga..Definitely some vintage Barney West energy there.

Many thanks Johnny, Hewey, Seeksurf, Benz, Hilltiki, Surfintiki and BK. Always appreciate
the kinds words of such a respectable bunch.
Ben...I see the Dennis Hopper too!
And BK...I have tried to incorporate a little Barney into much of what I do. I love that
picture of him in the "Book" with the wool hat, thats the kind of hat we wear around here for
several months of the year. Any reference to Barney is a fine compliment!

Very cool Conga! I like the one in the works too!

Craig

Barney is some high company, man! Fair to say if it's mega huge and it's still around, then there's a good chance Barney carved it. Good stuff, Conga.

Hi from Wisconsin. Posting this self portrait to let you know that when I say "ole' Conga"
I am referring to my senior status among tc carvers, from an age standpoint. Not a lot of time
for outdoor work around here

Nearly completed progress pics of cedar panel "Conguero"

It doesn't take tiki rocket science to see that this is "somewhat" derivative...it's all part of
the "Conga Modern" Collection. This comes with a nod of deep respect to a couple of carvers
around here...if you don't know who I mean...go back to Tiki Skool.
Thanks for visiting the Conga Corner.

Tiki skool is cool! Conga ain't no fool, bustin' out Witco inspired pieces tah make the peeps drool.

Beautiful piece KONG-UH!

T

So, who do you mean? .. eh.. uhm..?

Just kiddin´, it is beautifull. Keigs20 will be amazed.
Beside that, thanks for your constant postings, it is always a pleasure to read/ see.
tok-tok

K

Conga another great carving you got a style all your own and I am always amazed by your creations. Keep them coming!!!!

B

Cool Stuff from the Old Fart! What's that thing in the wall he is standing in front of? (do I smell smoke?)♦♠ They have a Tiki Skool??? Where, I think I Need to GO! I Want to go! You are Definitely the Oldster amongst us. I just took a picture of my Youngness for you to remind you how old you are,

Just keep carving and you will be OK, OK?

Many thanks guys!
Nice rap Sneaky, and I thought you were exclusively a painter.
Appreciate the nice words Tok Tok, glad you enjoy the stuff from the northern jungle!
Keigs, You are Da Man on the modern Witcos, I'm just happy as can be that you stopped by
and took notice. Thank you.
And Ben, yes the fireplace has been in use up here in Wisconsin. And what about the beard,
when did all the fuzz take residence on your face?
Ole' Conga has been thinking of firing up the drums for winter and letting the chisels
and other tools rest till spring, but we allways reserve the right to change the best laid
plans.
This latest piece will be finalized in a couple days, see ya then!

J

On 2007-11-17 20:26, congatiki wrote:
Ole' Conga has been thinking of firing up the drums for winter and letting the chisels
and other tools rest till spring...........

Nooooo you can't. We need the Conga twist on tiki.

Sorry Conga, but you don't have any excuse to stop. If I'm not mistaken, there is a place called the Conga Lounge which is conveniently located inside your very house! Bring in your log, a small work bench, and a coaster for your mai tai and you'll be good until spring.
:drink: :wink:

H

Hey conga, you and Bezart are the coolest tiki guys. I realy like the pictures! Very friendly!
I also like your work and all the effort you put into your tikis. Greetings, Kai

S

Nice work Congatiki that guy is big now that you
put your head side by side. Looks like its
cold there as it is in my neck of the woods.
BURRR!

Hey Conga, great new piece. Your "congoesque" nod to witco is definately your own and done beautifully.

If it's too cold where you are...maybe it's time for a trip to the west coast...or Hawaii? :)

Finis!

Many thanks for all the positive comments along the way.
Johnny and Finkdaddy...don't worry...this chizzlin' thing keeps me going...already plans for
something a little different for a big piece of wood.
Haikai...you mean that me 'n' Benz are with the "kool lids"...ha ha. I thought they were
in another forum. Just gotta add that you and your buddies in Germany are doing incredible
stuff, your "Voodoo Box" is one of my all time favorites.
Seeksurf...are you saying that I'm "big headed?"
And thanks for visiting Polynesiac...not too cold here yet...just getting down into the
high 20s. Can't complain about the weather yet...we will see 10 below zero sometime in the
next few months. Then it really gets too cold for outdoor carving!

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Nov 20, 2007 5:38 AM

Hey Conga! The self-portrait is killer! PLEASE don't hang up your toolz for the winter. That would make us Sad Sad Sad. Watching you create in the Conga-style makes us Happy Happy Happy! You just keep going old man!

-G

B

This guy finished up very Nicely Unlike those 2 old geezers posted.!

B

Conga,

That is one fine example of a tiki! I really think that you need to get yourself one of those big ass space heater things and keep pushing through the winter. Also, really glad that there are a couple of guys around here, besides myself, that remember those good ole days...or do we just think we do? So where do we get discounts?

You rock hard Master C!

Another great one Conga!!!

S

Nice touch with the paint conga and dont worry about the big
head thing you earnd it with all those great tiki's you have. (he he)

H

Hey Conga,
You've got a cool thing going on with this modern style. I'm seriously diggin' 'em. I think you may have found your niche...or at least another niche.
PS-You don't look ALL THAT old. Maybe it's just the glasses.

:lol:

Hey thanks Seek, Freak 'n' Howie. I have always dug the really primitive oceanic carvings
but they are just not real challenging to carve. Going with the "mod" style allows me
to mix styles a little and have fun with it. My next one is a large Manaia panel which is
certainly going to be challenging enough...stay tuned!
Howland...you rock...that is a pretty funny picture...it's gonna be on my desktop background
for a while.

Hi..trying something a little different for me...lotta lotta hard work to do...

Thanks for stopping by.

J

Conga does NZ! Glad to see you haven't quit for the winter!

S

Yes, you brave man. Bring it out congatiki!

Part of your series of Manaia on the wall ??? 3 or so in varying sizes??? Looking killer! Great idea! I've always liked the 3 viking ships etc. (in varying sizes) wall hangings.
Can't wait to see the progress!

Thanks Johnny, Seek'n' Sneaky, sit down and have a cocktail with me. This is a fun subject
and I just hope that I can do it justice. The "boners" (Paipo/Tama/BK/GMan/Finky) do such
a nice job with this curvy stuff that I just wanted to try it. Got a lotta work to do getting
rid of some edges but I am having fun. Doing a little detail work on the "bird"

Gotta go back to work...see ya soon!

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Nov 27, 2007 6:32 PM

Very sexy there Conga! Your stuff just pulls me in......

T

Looks like it´s gonna be a brilliant, twisted, crazy new one.

I love the sytle and how you take pictures of your stuff, very mystical.

Hi guys...many thanks and thanks to everyone for checking at the Ole'
Conga thread....
Making some progress and having a lot of fun with detail on the Manaia...
another mysterious pic Tok Tok!

J

Not only are you making a magnificent carving, you are getting all artsy with your photographs.

S

You are getting me all exited with the little teasers going on.
This guy is looking fantastic from what i have seen thus far.

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Dec 1, 2007 2:28 PM

Very artsy, old fartsy.....

How's the weather? Are you working indoors? Time to head down to Club Greg; it is mid 80's and sunny! :D

C

Hello you youngsters, nice to have you pop in.
Yea, it looks like winter is really here now, these shots are from this
afternoon

Not really too cold yet, around 12 degrees. You can dress for it.

That guy looks great. The surroundings need an upgrade to something more tropical. Like G said - went swimming in the 80 degree pool today and got chilled! Damn winter!

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Dec 1, 2007 3:17 PM

Eeeek! What's that white stuff?

Looks fantastic Conga, the incised patterning is really popping it!
"How's yer Bird"--Frank Sinatra

Now THAT'S dedication!! You must have a little Eskimo blood in you! Looking GREAT too!

B

Conga, I mean CONGA, This is Really Way out there cool for you! Every time I turn around you are doing another piece that blows me Away and this is one of those. Big Kudos for you. ice lines, Nice Movement and the detail is Superb. What are we gonna DO with you???
HappyHappyhappy

C

Thanks guys.
Aloha-S...I'm ready to upgrade to a southern locale, do you need a "pool boy?"
Gman...I think they call it sugar but it sure isn't sweet...spent around five hours
in the stuff this morning moving all of the vehicles on our lot...the only part of
being a car salesman that I HATE.
Silverline...maybe a little Eskimo in me...I think my next carving is gonna be a
penguin
Thanks Sneaky...your bird figures pushed me to doing this one.
And Ben...I just have to keep trying to get your attention...keep turning around
so I can keep surprising you...
Almost done with the twisty bugger...just need to add a little tung oil and
he'll be finished....

S

Love it! Man your creativity is off the scale.
Great twits and turns nice cut-sees.
Another fine piece for the collection.

J

Looks really really nice Conga!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 2403 replies