Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Conga....Wisconsin stuff!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 2,403 replies

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Jan 22, 2006 7:12 PM

Conga,

I did a bit of a search on Ramu. Looks like you are on to another far out piece. You have this one blocked out real nice. I'm anticipating a real winner here.

-Gman

Mahalo friends AA...Johnny and GMan....Ramu has put the "Conga Voodoo" on me cuz I started
another carving before I finished him...this is loosely based on something that one of our
"old masters" did for a certain hotel...hope you like it....

What the ...? Are you carving in your sleep now ? Very cool.

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Jan 24, 2006 12:04 PM

Conga,

Do that Voodoo that you do! That new guy looks very cool. Is that designed after one of Benz pieces? I'm still bugging out over Ramu. That is REALLY going to be wild. I thinks I needs one!

-Gman

J

I guess your carving block is officially over. Now you are knocking them out like nothing. Looks great! Keep posting, At this rate, I'll guess we'll see another one tomorrow.
JP

Appreciate the nice words RT....GMan and Johnny....yea...I guess the carvers' block is
over...and while I don't carve while sleeping...it seems that I wake up and go back to sleep
wondering how to achieve the desired effect...I am sure it is some form of obsessive/compulsive
disorder. This latest guy is based in part on several of Ben's tropicana tikis. Seems I
have spent hours revisiting that thread...then once I obtained Ben's blessings...I just
went full steam ahead. I just love the expressions on those guys and I hope mine will
capture some of that feeling...a pleasant sort of attitude. Thanks again...and by the
way GMan...Ramu has pushed his way back into the carving bench.

B

Conga, I really love it, where did you get the picture? Thanks,
Ben

thanks Ben...he's sort of a composite...but this is the main inspiration from your Tropicana
thread...I had a nice big chunk of basswood and decided to just do the head...I can only hope
that I can pay proper homage to the original

That's a heavy duty tiki, conga. Looks like he'd smash your foot if he fell on you! I like the design too. Cheers to you too, Ben!

http://www.samgambino.com

[ Edited by: Sam Gambino 2006-01-26 20:33 ]

thanks Sam...gotta get back to the big stump when I finish Ramu.
Ramu is almost done....he gets to go outside tomorrow....

[ Edited by: congatiki 2006-01-31 06:28 ]

KK

Hey bruddah!
Howzit?! Love da kine conga brah! Keep up the good work! And, I never heard back from you about doing a logo for the mensters..Let me know if youre ever interested!

Talk story with you soon!

Malama Pono!

thank you Kaha....you are most gracious....would like to point out that Ramu's beak is
not as bright as it looks with the flash...the pic looks pretty cartoonish but under the
subdued light of a tiki lounge the beak is just slightly brighter than the stain. Either
that...he he had too many mai tais before the picture. Your mention of the Mensters
reminds me to rest the chisels for a while and get back to the drums...also attempting to
learn a little uke to go with da beats of the Mensters.
Once again...tanks to Kaha!

J

I missed this update earlier. Looks great from this angle. Do you have shots from other angles?
JP

B

Hey Conga, this guy is just plain Wierd, but I really like him. I Love the color of his beak or nose or whatever it is. And I really love his feet and toes. He sort'a looks like the mosquito that spent 30 minutes on my arm unnoticed. He drank til his eyes bulged out and he fell off my arm. And then I,,I won't go into any details but he doesn't look like this any more. Cool piece Conga.

C

mahalo Johnny P and Ben....Ben your comments cracked me up....one of my drum buddies thinks
Ramu looks like the dude in Spy Vs Spy....might have to get him a big black fedora. Here
are a couple other angles

and a family get togther in the congatiki lounge

and now I promise....I think....to do something that isn't so wierd....I just gotta carve a
tiki...I just gotta carve a tiki....I...

[ Edited by: congatiki 2006-02-01 06:10 ]

L
Loki posted on Wed, Feb 1, 2006 6:15 AM

Conga, Weird is what keeps the creative juices flowing....Ramu is great.

MD

Conga, these are awesome......I was researching Easter Island and I wondered why no one ever carved the KavaKava man. Maybe because it doesn't have that classic "tiki" look. So I was gonna try it...and now you have. You did an outstanding job!
Really nice. Its nice to see the boundaries of tiki being stretched beyond the norm.

On 2006-01-21 18:38, congatiki wrote:
Freddie...the real inspiration comes from a figure on this site....

http://www.tribalpacifica.com

the eighth figure on gallery 8

Got it:

R

Bravo , Bravo . That family shot looks great.

B

Yes the family shot ooks Awesome. Quite a collection you have there. The Spy verses the spy character is perfect. Lets have more.

C

thanks Loki...Dale..Freddie and Ben...always appreciate the kind words from you other woodcutters.
Loki and Mr. Dale....you are inspiring me to stick with the off-beat figures for a little while
yet....I am about an hour into another one that will seem pretty freaky...I'll get a couple of early
pics up over the weekend. As always....thanks for looking in.

J

You have a nice collection there. Do you have any shots of them in there natural enviroment (bar)? I thought your spy vrs. spy comment was hilarious. Keep carving the unusual tikis!
JP

C

thanks Johnny and everyone else who offers encouragement to us struggling whittlers....and
now...lest anyone think sanity has returned to the northwoods...the Congatiki Mindimbit figure...

Enjoy Super Carving Sunday....

[ Edited by: congatiki 2006-02-05 09:44 ]

F

You're always stepping it up Conga, way to go. BTW, I think you have a beautiful yard. :)

J

I like your interpretation!
JP

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Feb 7, 2006 4:46 PM

Conga,

What the...? You are really freaking me out now. I need info on this guy. Talk to me......

-Gman

C

Hi Johnny and GMan and Finkdaddy....appreciate the remarks on this guy...he's coming
along very nicely and I'll post other pics this weekend.....
GMan....I don't mean to turn this into a history lesson...cuz I am by no means a student
of PNG carvings...but....
search out mindimbit village and you'll find a number of sites with examples of carvings
from this area of New Guinea...generally a lot of bird-animal heads with more human looking
bodies....and a bit of color...some really nice things available at Magellan Traders
website....From what I have been able to find out...Mindimbit is a "nice" village...well
kept...with a thriving market in carvings of ancestral figures and animals. Also check
out http://www.suncoastdesigns.com/art

G
GMAN posted on Fri, Feb 10, 2006 4:41 PM

Conga,

Yeah, I gotcha. I can't wait to see more. You always pics the most far-out projects. I'm loving it!

-Gman

alright...back again with a coupla more pics of the Mindimbit figure....lotsa work on this
one but just about to start sliding down hill...

B

Down hill? Sliding?? What is that white stuff all over, did the tiki throw up?
Looking great Conga, Methinks you are becoming a wildman!

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Feb 12, 2006 2:14 PM

Conga,

That is crazy looking, I don't know what to say. It looks like a whole lotta work, with stuff going on everywhere. A very challenging project for sure. A very cool project indeed. I really like the tripod/tail post. Very smart. Is this guy gonna be chocolate too?

-Gman

Very cool Conga, you're just blowin' me away! Are you doing that all with hand tools?

I love any carvings from New Guinea, and you are really doing a great job, Conga! Keep up the great work and showing us the pictures!

J

You did do a lot of work on this one. I enjoy your style, you push the limits and yet stay true to the source.
JP

Mahalo Ben...GMan...Finky...Exotica...and Johnny P....your continued support keeps me pushing on.
I was gonna quit this guy yesterday but a friend convinced me to keep going and strive for a more
polished....as opposed to rough-primitive look. Six hours later he's starting to smooth out a
bit....
GMan...not gonna dip this one in chocolate...thinking of a light to medium stain...then a little
paint splashed around in strategic places...and Exotica...thanks much...my next one will be a
wall carving for your bar...
thanks again everyone!

KK

Aloha Conga Brah!
Great work on the New Guinea tiki! I love that style carving with the bird spirit and all...I love how it looked from the side with the "tail" holding it position. I have to say, looks pretty chilly up there brah! makes me cold just looking at it! So, cant wait to see it finished with the stain and paint...

Keep up the good work and watch out for frostbite!

Malama Pono!

B
Bete posted on Mon, Feb 13, 2006 9:43 AM

Looks like it's gonna look very cool.

Thanks friends Bete and Kaha....been doing lotta lotta sanding and detail on Mindimbit figure....
but in meantime....did a PNG influenced mask for Exotica....

J

That is New Guinea Mindimbit meets "The Scream"
JP

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Feb 19, 2006 7:01 PM

Conga,

Very cool mask. I like the facial paint/details. What type of wood did you use? How are things going on the Mindimbit tiki? He looked big - I bet you have a lot of sanding to do on him. I can't wait to see some updated pics of him. Keep creating the wild stuff, we need it!

-Gman

T

No this is New Guinea Mindimbit meets "The Scream

B
Bete posted on Sun, Feb 19, 2006 7:14 PM

Awesome, "The Scream" is a great picture, but now it's even better because it's tiki-ized, ha!

Super job with "The Scream" Teakey....I love it. Looks sorta like the wierd carving belongs
there...on the deck...ready to jump off. Also thanks for checking in....JP...GMan...and
Bete. Another week or so on the Mindimbit figure GMan...I decided to step it up a little bit
and I'm sanding this one smoother than a baby's butt. I created some deep crevices that are
causing me a little grief....but I'm getting there.

Conga your making me look bad, the winter comes and I slow down (didnt think that was possible) and your busting them out faster than ever.

The finish on the mask looks great. Keep up the amazing work.

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Feb 20, 2006 5:34 AM

Conga,

I hear you about the sanding. Just keep at it and when you think you are done, put it aside and then go back and do some more. I can't wait to see how he comes out. Just don't step it up too high, cause the rest of us termites can't keep up with your pace. You're a carving monster!

-Gman

Very cool carving, especially with the scream theme. It seems to me that stripping (debarking) and sanding the wood is the hardest part of the carving process.

thanks everyone. I have been working on Mindimbit here for the last two weeks...It's kinda
freakin' me out. This will be the last basement pic until we go outside to meet Kava and
Ramu....I was gonna stain him dark and splash a little paint here and there...but now
I'm not sure what to do...guess i'll have a drink and see where we go

Lotta spectacular stuff being posted around here lately..

T

Wow Conga! Nice wwod! What kind is it? How tall is it?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 2403 replies