Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Conga....Wisconsin stuff!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 2,403 replies

What fun...lotsa cool BIG carvings being posted right now...and I gotta get into the act too...
here's the latest...very early stages...i know its hard to tell but it will be a serpent-bodied
PNG figure wrapped around a tiki pole

and then a little update on my latest mask...some clean-up around the eyes and nose

thanks for stopping by...

[ Edited by: congatiki 2006-08-27 15:17 ]

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Aug 27, 2006 3:22 PM

Conga,

I'm loving the serpent idea. Please post lots of progress pics on him. That mask looks fab! Your Conga Room is going to be one seriously amazing place. I love your stuff! Now get back to work!!!

-Gman

J

The mask is coming along really nice. I gotta ask to see your inspriration for the snake PNG piece? The coiled serpent is different, I'm looking foreward to the way this will come out.

JP

B

COnga, you're not goin all Crazy on us now are you,, I Hope so..Both pieces looking good.

man that mask looks cool. and the serpent looks like its gonna be a big success. keep us posted

i am just loving that mask more pice please and keep up the good work

many mahalos GMAN, Johnny,Ben,TikiDuddy and Marcus. It's pretty tough to see what will happen
with the Serpent...I sorta see a Cobra but the whole fanned out area will be PNG face...seems
I saw a pic of an ancient piece with a serpentine body. The tiki pole will be a partially
obscured tangaroa.

And I really appreciate the comments on the mask...not sure where that is headed either but
a very "sublime" personality is emerging...it sorta reminds me of some indian carvings...nice
expression. I was originally planning on a "faded paint" look...gotta see.

Sorry to ramble....Packers on TV and having a Wisconsin beverage....Leinenkugel's Sunset
Wheat...try a six pack!

C

Ah...a long weekend....don't have to sell cars for three days...time to work on the Serpentiki

F

Nice Conga! The serpent is taking a nap with a smile on his face. I'm so jealous! No time for naps for me, I have to work on my house. We just put it up on the market yesterday and we already have people comming to look at it today.

Let's see s'more!

B

Conga, I Love watching the Magic happen. Beautiful works are being born :)

C

mahalo Ben and Finky...active day in the northwoods with a lot of tennis and biking...and...of
course a little whittlin' too....I know the right eye...or is it the left eye... is a little small but starting to make some progress

Gonna be a good week...will finish the png mask and make some progress on this guy by the weekend.
Thanks for stopping by.

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Sep 4, 2006 6:46 PM

Ah yes, once again the psychotropic drugs are taking affect. Conga is heading into the spirit-world. For the next month he will be walking with the ancients and serving as their medium...I wonder what the ancients have in store for us this time?

-Gman

C

mahalo GMan...yea...the spirit world is sucking me in again...not sure where this one is gonna
wind up...not sure how "tiki" it will be...but something is surfacing.

I realise these early progress pics are pretty rough...but might be interesting to some of
you fine folks...this one will take a long time. Hope I'm done before the snow flies.

B

Conga, Thats how we Likes'em, rough and on the way. The more the merrier. I can't believe how you really fit right into the PNG style! :)

J

May the PNG spirit world keep sucking you in as long as you keep spitting out these wonderful pieces. I hope you are done before the snow blows.

JP

P
Paipo posted on Thu, Sep 7, 2006 2:03 PM

It's good to see the roughouts, for me at least that's when a lot of the design and technical problem solving occurs. It looks like you start out with a basic idea and make a lot of your design decisions as you go? I think working instinctively is underrated these days.

C

Thanks much Ben...Johnny and Paipo...I freely admit that there isn't much here yet...or at
least not much to get excited about. But I assure you I won't quit digging until I get a little
enthused.
Paipo...you are right...I delve into resource material until I get a basic concept...sketch it
to remind me where I was originally headed...and make things up as I go. I am really impressed
with the carvers who can work out a specific design and DO IT....I just can't. I have been
putting in a lot of time and I just turned the corner last night from "potential burnpile" to
"potential keeper"...we'll see what happens next...thanks again

Oh...and Paipo...I have been spending a lot of time viewing your thread...wonderful work...I am
really impressed by what you are doing....you are highly skilled.

hello dear friends in Tiki...some progress with the PNG mask....still some "aging" to be
accomplished.

I really like how you applied the blue paint. Where did you find a Head Hunter to teach you that trick?

Wow, nice job Conga! I'm always too scared to try color but you do it well. Your snake figure is looking good as well. Is that mask very heavy?

thanks Raffer...I ran into a headhunter in my backyard....he taught me a few tricks!
And I still have my head. Wasn't sure about the paint...still not positive I like the look...
but things are going to be "grimed up" quite a bit before it's done....I think the process
will tone things down a little. We'll see how it looks after some dirt...chalk and
furniture wax.

Appreciate it Finky....yea it's kinda chunky....about 24 inches and not hollowed-out
in back (yet)....will take a sturdy nail to keep it in place.

[ Edited by: congatiki 2006-09-10 06:15 ]

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Sep 10, 2006 6:21 AM

Conga,

I'm digging the colors. Is that chaulk or paint? From here you will continue with your patented super-duper finishing techniques, or are you mostly done? Oh, and hollow that muttha out for Pete's sake!

-Gman

B

WOW is Right. I can't wait to see how Aged he bevomes. I'm Loving your use of cool colors here Conga.Excellent.

great stuff. worked out great i see. really like the colors.

Number one Conga fan..right here..

Always appreciate the kind words GMan...Benzart...Duddy and BK....The aging process will
include efforts to tone down the color so it looks old and weathered...and then a few other
tricks.
Basement....if you are my biggest fan (or even one of the biggest) I have accomplished
all that I need to in carving....but I guess I'll keep working at it. Thanks.

J

Your work always puts a smile on my face.

Mahalo Johnny....isn't that what it's all about...putting smiles on faces!
Making a little progress with the big guy

thanks for stopping to peek.

H

Lookin' good conga, I'm anxious to see this one done!

M

Love the colors on the PNG! Beautiful work!

Now, Let the serpent out!

Mahalo

McTiki

G
GMAN posted on Wed, Sep 13, 2006 6:09 PM

Ahhh, Conga is letting the juices flow! Whatta ya gonna put through the nose? I see you cut through there....nice.

-Gman

just to let you know we're still alive up here...a couple of progress shots...top of head
and looking down on face...still lotsa work to do on Serpentiki...doesn't look real "tiki"
yet....but trust me...he will

Looking good Conga! His face looks very wise and important. How about this weather we're having! I guess summer's over. :cry:

J

I was wondering when we were going to see an update. Yeahhh, we get to see some of the Conga magic.
JP

Thanks Finkdaddy and Johnny...progress has been sloooow on this one...starting to get
close to stain and paint on the face...then some more digging to do on the snake body.

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Sep 26, 2006 5:08 PM

Conga,

Where you bean? Are you gonna get this guy finished before the big freeze? It looks like you are making progress....but we need better pics so that we can really see what you are up to. I wanna see the whole piece.

-Gman

I wanna see a pic of all the wood that you removed with just a chisel! Very, very cool Conga.

B

Conga, he is really taking shape and looking slinky. Nice and smoothe. Lookin' Good.

T

Hey, Conga. Have you seen a "professional" doc lately? I'm not accusing you of anything... :wink: ... just wondering. Besides that, EXCELLENT work.

Hey Gap...In fact I meet with a panel of mental health experts on a regular basis...I
call it "Log Therapy." Whenever my job pulls me too close to "reality" the logs pull me
back out. Thanks GMan..Finkdaddy and Ben....I'll get some more complete pics up this
weekend...I have long wanted to do a "big faced" painted PNG style carving...and this
one might be as close as I ever get. My recent mask was a prototype for a painted face
and this one will get a little more extreme. Hope it works.

B

YES, More Extreme, Thats what I'm talkin'bout! We Need more Extreme, so Go get it.
Thanks your Coolness, we'll be waiting.

Hallo kind friends....here are a couple of full size shots of the Serpentiki...lotta work to do
but starting to define the "snake coils." Why do all of my carvings take forever...just shy of a
month on this one already. Height is 5-5....too heavy to lift.

thanks for checking in...gonna start to splash paint and tiki-fi this bugger real soon.

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Sep 30, 2006 1:52 PM

Conga,

You are one crazy tater! Thanks for the full piece pics. This is wild. What more do you have in mind? I imagine you could carve on the snake body for a year or two....

-Gman

B

I Knew you wouldn't let us down. He looks Wild and crazy and Beautiful. What are we gonna do with you Conga, you are freakin' us out here. I'm losin too much drool and won't have any left for the other guyz!

C

thanks GMan and Ben...you guys are the Zig Ziglar of Tiki carving...whenever I think I am missing
the mark you guys keep me pushing on! In the spirit of Hukilau I press on....not much new here
except I found a few other snake heads coming out of the wood. Still a long way to go but getting
close to detail carving on the serpent..stay tuned

Got some cool detail ideas for the coils...I think you will like them!

M
McTiki posted on Sat, Oct 7, 2006 4:10 PM

Conga that's turning out awesome!

Mahalo

McTiki

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Oct 8, 2006 8:05 AM

Very nice Conga. We would expect no less from you. Whatta ya doing with the multiple snake heads? You have me confused now for sure.

Keep banging on this bad boy as the white stuff is coming......

-Gman

B

Aw right Conga Bring it ONnn. can't wait to see how much you tease this guy. every time you turn it around, you find somewhere else to tweak it up a bit. keep it goin'.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 2403 replies