Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Conga....Wisconsin stuff!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 2,403 replies

B
Bowana posted on Sat, Jan 6, 2007 8:10 PM

Whoa! The Quad Dude is so surreal. You need to display it right smack in the middle of the room so that all four sides are visible.

Either that, or put it against a wall and rotate it once a week. That way you'll have a new Tiki every week for a month!

......Okay, I'm done. :)

Congrats on such an original design, Conga!

F

[resounding applause]Conga, that looks amazing![/resounding applause]

Great design, great execution, great everything. It was a very ambitious project to begin with, and you pulled it off with flying colors. Is the 6 sided tiki next? :wink:

C

Many many thanks to all of you guys..
GMan...the schizz is done...just waiting for sunshine to get decent pics!
Ben...that post knocks me out...loudly laughed while reading it!
Good to have you visit Duddy...Tikidav...Johnny...BK (used one of your "secrets" in the
finishing...think you'll like it) and Finky! It's kinda neat to have one that can be
rotated to fit the mood...during the playoff game yesterday i exposed the happy sides when
the Colts had the ball...and the mean side when the Chiefs had it. It worked! Maybe there's
a little "spirit" in there somewhere. This has been fun...too much work...simple one-tikis
from this point on. See ya soon!

The sun struggles up..another beautiful day
and QUAD-TIKI comes out to say hello

and a little time to skate with Mindimbit

Mahalo for looking in. If anyone knows Grog would you ask him to come by and pee
at my carving. I need a little excitement over here.

Wow! That turned out awesome! I totaly didn't expect all that color, and as far as colored tikis go this is by far the best I've ever seen. Did you do some sort of airbrush tecnique? Great job Conga! You've raised your bar pretty high with this one. So what's next?

B

Conga, I guess you are Really glad this 4 faced monster is Finally Done!. What a Finish job to top him/them off with. Wow the finish Really shows how much you sanded it. Beautiful colors. Wow, Wow, Wow WOW , WWWOWWW.

Friggen awesome Conga.

The colors look great on this one!

Yea, you've gotta make a base that roates real slow for this, maybe even a base that lights up to cast a glow upwards.

Great job!

Sorry to see you've got snow left. :wink: I haven't seen any down here since December 1st! 46 degrees today, though I chose to work indoors again.

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Jan 7, 2007 4:03 PM

Conga,

That is so cool it is ridiculous! I can't even imagine the amount of thinking that you put into pulling him off. What a feat! Thank you so much for letting us all enjoy the making and finish of this piece along with you. Just beautiful.

-Gman

B
Bowana posted on Sun, Jan 7, 2007 6:28 PM

Holy smokes! Look at that guy! I'm scared of him!!

Nice job, man!

C

It's not airbrushed finkdaddy but I kinda think it has that sorta look...just a spray finish
on top of three coats of sanding sealer...i think i got lucky.
Thanks LakeS...really appreciate the compliments...gotta work on that revolving lighted stand
idea...i'll share the profits with you if it takes off!
Many thanks for the wows Ben...hope you are starting to feel better.
GMan....you really like it? I was hoping you would. I was a little embarrassed about all of the
progress pics...it just took so looooong...glad you enjoyed watching the progress.
And Tikidav...don't be afraid...you have plenty of great wood spirits to protect you.
And for now...I have carver's block...and I don't mean a block of wood. I think I'm gonna rest!

J

On 2007-01-08 15:47, congatiki wrote:
And for now...I have carver's block...and I don't mean a block of wood. I think I'm gonna rest!

Nooooo! You can't rest. I am going to need my conga tiki fix.

Back to work. You have done a fantastic job on this. I don't know how you finished it, but it looks like it was done in an automotive spray booth. I can tell you spent an incredible amout of time sanding.

JP

Thanks Johnny. You are right about the sanding of it...way too labor intensive. Things just
kinda got away from me on this one. Super work on your drum...i am sure it will be appreciated
by the owner. Still can't decide what to do next....just watching other people.

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Jan 11, 2007 4:31 AM

Conga needs to go small and do a series of pendants or mini tikis? Bone, stone, or wood???

Hopefully sending a package your way soon my friend.

-G

T

WOW! Conga! That guy's awesome. You really should listen to GMAN - I'll buy a pendant of two from you of that guy! I can't get over it! The colors are great - the finish is even better! That's really something man. Keep it up. What's next? Take a rest? You deserve it! But not for long, ok?

It's hard to believe that I was rubbing elbows with such great carvers at Coon
Tiki - including YOU!

Really very nice.

Whew!

gap

AMAZING CONGA!!!! That color is sooooo rich it just glows! You've really got your process dialed in. Way to go!

H
hewey posted on Thu, Jan 11, 2007 6:07 PM

I cant beleive I missed the 4 sided tiki - great work! Such a cool concept and done so nicely. The stain and paint looks great :) :) :)

Go small, huh GMan? The carvers block is starting to go away and I might try to knock out a few
pendants but I see myself digging into another nice basswood log. Maybe I can't envision myself doing
something small cuz I'm left=handed, if that makes any sense. I'll be watching for the mailman!

Many thanks to you Tikigap...I can recall having my first two CoonTiki mai tais at your hand...but
I didn't think that I got so drunk to bump your elbow. Hope to do it again sometime.

Hodad...appreciate the comps...I snuck Mindimbit into the final pic just for you..wanted to let you
know he's still around.

Hewey...thanks for visiting the Northwoods corner of TC...it's a long trip from down under.

All the nice comments on these guys have me pumped up to get back to work...soon as the Colts either
get knocked out or win the Super Bowl I think my head will clear a little. Going back to work this
weekend.

M

Whoa! Conga, this is a fine and original concept brought to life. I love the finish. You definately took some time on this one. Where's he going to live?

Mahalo

McTiki

Nice tiki! I like the "burst" paintjob on this one, too.

Awesome work, conga. I really like how it all blends in so nicely. If looked at sideways, it's hard to define where the tikis end and begin becuase they flow together so seamlessly, but if looked at head on - you would never know that there are other tikis there. What's neat about this guy too (and if you don't have him on auto-rotate) is that when you put him in your lounge you can manually rotate the tiki every couple of months and have a new tiki!

Your work is always fun to look at and very inspirational

L
Loki posted on Fri, Jan 12, 2007 8:06 AM

Conga, i agree with GMAN, i cant even imagine the thought this took...fantastic work.

B

Conga, you know the price for creating such an Excellent piece? The NEXT one has to be Better!,, Relax and enjoy this time off, but get back to work soon...

*On 2007-01-12 05:50, congatiki wrote:*Hodad...appreciate the comps...I snuck Mindimbit into the final pic just for you..wanted to let you know he's still around.

I didn't want to mention it. I was playing hard to get. But seriously Conga, when are you gonna sell me that fella (or carve me a reasonable facsimile??? :wink: )

BTW I used to play the Quads in Drum Line! Coincidence? I think not!

J

Conga, where have you been? Did that four headed beast get the best of you?

JP

Hi Johnny....I am back into the swing of things. The Quad-Tiki kicked my butt for a while
but I have been back to carving the last week or so. I love my tikis...and I have also been
thinking about Northwest pacific totem poles...so I am doing a little combination of the
two...in a short four footer. Gonna work a couple weeks more before I reveal what I'm
up to...pretty preliminary at this point.
Thanks for wondering!

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Jan 30, 2007 7:08 PM

Yo Conga! The tunes rip! Thanks bruddah. What's this about toe nails??? Eeek!

I wanna see some of this new NW-Style pole. Please show us some pics? C'mon, bring it!

-Gman

Thanks GMan...always appreciate your prodding. The tiki face and the NW-style
Eagle are roughed out, but I need to do a great deal of sanding before I get to
pics. I promise, I'll get something up in a few days.
Glad you found a little pleasure in the Mensters cd, it doesn't skip does it?
I sent one to our drummer from Florida and he said it skipped, but I think it's
just his cheap flea market cd player.

On 2007-01-31 12:18, congatiki wrote:
Glad you found a little pleasure in the Mensters cd, it doesn't skip does it?

Oh my, there isn't a new one that I missed, is there? Can't wait to see your new stuff!

Conga... put another log on the fire... gonna get cold this weekend!

Stay warm up there... hope to see you soon at a tiki event... until then keep up the great work you're doing up there!

C

Thanks guys, as Lake says, it is starting to act like winter around here now. So much for El Nino.
So in an attempt to appeal to the "Northwoods" sensitivity I am combining a tiki with some
"wildlife," in this case an Eagle. The lower figure is somewhat loosely based on Inuit totems,
i.e. northwest pacific coast stuff. And the "tiki" should keep me from getting bumped over to
the "Beyond" forum, heaven forbid!

This is just a little update to show that I am still digging into basswood. The eagle will be
getting quite a bit of hook-knifing in the eye and mouth...thanks for checking in.

M
McTiki posted on Thu, Feb 1, 2007 3:08 PM

Conga, that is tight! Reminds me of a mug I gotz.

Mahalo

McTiki

T

Conga.

Conga Conga.

I was lookin at some coon tiki pictures tonight, with a very tight mai tai in my very tight hands. It inspired me to go hack a log. I did that for a few minutes until I wacked my thumb again. Then I sat down and started lookin' round on TC.

Then I found this post. You. Again. Man!

My words are weak - you just gotta quit whatever job you got, and go pro. Well... more pro than you are :wink:

It truly amazes me on how you just keep breaking the ceiling open so us lowly carvers can peek thru. Very nice work as usual! I hope you are makin some jack off those guys.

B

Ditto what T-gap said, GO PRO, you are just doing too much Awesome stuff not to share it with the world.

Nice idea with the mix. Of course the tiki is ON TOP OF the n'west eagle! :)
Can't wait to see more pics!

B
Bowana posted on Thu, Feb 1, 2007 7:58 PM

Hey Conga, you're Tiki/Totem is looking great. I love the Pac NW totem poles too. The carving style of the Haida Tribe is my fav. I carved one for a knife handle once.

Looking forward to seeing progress pics!

[ Edited by: Tikidav 2007-02-01 20:00 ]

C

thanks to all, you are great motivators!
McTiki, it reminds me of a mug too, but it's a pretty straightforward design on the tiki part, not
as wacky as I sometimes do.
T-Gap and Ben, I would love to go "pro" but you must remember I am in Wisconsin, and a lot farther north
than LakeSurfer! That, and the fact that I sell too many cars, makes that career move a little
improbable. I have made a couple of sales and have a two-carving display at my best friend's
chiropractic clinic, they get a lot of feedback!
Thanks also Surfintiki and Tikidav, I have been putting a lot of study time into the NW coast
stuff, and I can only "hope" that i'm getting it. The eagle figure is based on a carving that has
really "soft" relief instead of a deep carving. I would have liked a real deep beak but since I
put the bird on the bottom I can't do that, the sucker would tip over and it's still pretty
heavy.
Appreciate the comps.
And now, with all respect to Chicagoland TCers, I must say "GO COLTS."

J

Conga strikes again. I certainly enjoy how you take different elements and make them your own. What is neat about the beak is that it could be interpreted as either an eagle or a South Pacific mythical bird figure, however you chose to look at it.

JP

C

Mahalo Johnny P...
you're right about the bird, could be just about anything. I really like the NW-Coast
raven figures and mythology, but this could be interpreted as South Pacific, eagle,
budgie, chicken, whatever, a bird's a bird right? Maybe even a northern wisconsin
mosquito.

G
GMAN posted on Fri, Feb 2, 2007 4:26 PM

Conga,

Your designs and vision....always a different perspective. Very nice. I believe the bird figure could clearly be viewed as NW or SP. Way to go!

-G

Nice combo Conga! I've been thinking about doing some paintings combining elements from these 2 regions and it's inspiring to see you make it work so well. There are several South Pacific 2-D artists that combine elements of Oceania, native America and sometimes aboriginal Australia to create cool compositions as well.

C

Thanks GMan you are too kind, and thanks to you Sneakytiki, appreciate your compliments
and pespective on my attempts to carve.
Not much new around here, still digging and having fun with the eyes

Already this seems to be taking me longer than it should, but I think I'm into another mess.
Plus it's really heavy and I think I gotta dig something into the backside to make it lighter.
We'll see.

B

Aww Conga, you have Captive audience. Your cusomers t=get a discount if they buy a tiki from you and a douple discount if they keep theyr mouth shut We can DO IT!

B

Whoa! This dude's come a long way since last I looked.

On 2007-02-07 19:21, congatiki wrote:
Already this seems to be taking me longer than it should, but I think I'm into another mess.

I hear ya on that, my friend! But take your time cuz it's looking sweet.

Thanks Ben and Tikidav, working hard chizzlin' and appreciatin' yer comps and motivation.
Pushing ahead now, one of my dreaded "flash" pics of the backside of the tiki/eagle firewood,
also nw coast inspired

and a little fun thingy I am doing for one of my daughter's friends. She wants a tiki..she
gets a tiki

Not much else to say cept there is a lot of great work being posted around here and it's
always great to see what yer doing. Over and out from the Northwoods.

[ Edited by: congatiki 2007-02-13 05:54 ]

B

Conga, keep up the great work, thats the BEST Looking Firewood I've ever seen.

J

Good stuff. It's good to spread the tiki around.

JP

many thanks Ben..Johnny and Everyone who peeks in. This is the fun little guy I did for
my daughter's friend...I call it "free tiki."

and a little progress today on the totem

Finally starting to warm up a little round here...just in time to get outside for a little grinder
work to finish this one up.

[ Edited by: congatiki 2007-02-18 14:50 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 2403 replies