Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Conga....Wisconsin stuff!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 2,403 replies

J

"Free Tiki" looks pretty darn good. I'll take one, wait for the price I'll take two. Your daughter's friend is lucky.

Totem tiki's chisel marks really add a lot of character. I like how all the the eyes, beak, and mouth have similar lines, It makes it really stand out in a good way.

JP

B

Ditto what JP said only make my order for 3 free tikeees. I think I like the chisel marks, really gives hin that Pacific NW Totem Pole look, just don't go too deep and keep them lined up in nice patterns. I don't know how those guyz kept those patterns so precise and even. What a way to carve those guyz had, all sitting elbow to elbow, hacking away on this 200 foot log as if they all had just one brain and everyone knew what everyone else was going to do. Imagine the stories that poured over those carvings.
Nice work conga!

Yeah, I'd have to agree with JP, those chisel marks make a neat effect. Good choices Conga. It's really looking top notch.
Buzzy

oooh man thats looking goood. great stuff with the chisle effect going on there. how big is that thing in total?
looks great

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Feb 19, 2007 5:48 PM

Conga,

That is some tight looking chisel work. I likee!!! Sweet stuff. How big is it?

-Gman

Many thanks GMan, Duddy, Buzzy, Ben and Johnny. I appreciate your feedback on the "chiseled"
Tiki face, I have a small rounded gouge that works great for that. Not sure I can pull it off
on the bird-face due to the large flat areas, and I think I'm going for a sanded and painted
look on the back side figure. Always fun to experiment and look for something new...Still evolving.
Buzzy and GMan...he's 40 inches tall but real thick...I can't believe how heavy it is.

M

I love the latest one Conga. Nice N deep and the details of the parts all coming together! Keep on it! Nice Nice!

Mahalo

McTiki

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Feb 20, 2007 8:14 PM

Conga,

Don't worry about the bird face and the flats. You will pull it off and it will RAWK like all your other chops - pure Conga all the way. Please don't keep us waiting for new pics of this heavy weight. I need my Conga fix....please?

-Gman

Many thanks McTiki and GMan...you are great motivators.
And GMan...thanks for pushing me to do a better job...your confidence
propelled me into a few hours of little chizzlin' last night and the
bird is looking sweet...if I do say so myself. Pics soon!

Proof that Wisconsin is the best place for outdoor carving in February...some progress pics
of the tiki-eagle-something else totem

The spirits are coming out of the wood...should be satisfied to get 'er stained up pretty soon.

oh man! B-E-A-UTIFUL! great job looks amazing.

J

Good job in that Wonderful Wisconsin Winter Whittling Weather. How was today?

Your chisel marks are really adding character to that piece.

JP

B

Yes Conga! This pole is going to be Supurb, one of your BEst pieces. Don't want you goin' out now and becoming an Indian carver, you are too good at the tikii...

Mahalo to all and thanks for looking.
Appreciate the compliments Duddy, good to hear from someone farther north than me.
Johnny...I also like the look of the chisel marks...kinda swiped that idea from a recent
post by TikiBeat...I gotta get better at it cuz things get messy on the flatter surfaces but
I planned on leaving the bird beak smooth anyway. Good news...another 8-12 of snow coming
by the weekend!
Thanks Ben...getting a little of that "NW Coast totem" look is sorta fun on this one but
my next several projects will be all TIKI...I either have to go TIKI or start my own forum called
"totem central".
Gonna finish up some hook knife work tonight and then finish this one.

T

I was just checking out that top pic and was like sweet a girl tiki, don't see too many of them. Oh, nevermind. My mind got the best of me, Sweet tiki and you wouldn't catch me out in the snow like that. :D

Hey Teakey...thanks for visiting...and I can see the girl tiki too if I squint a little. And
the beak can be a bikini bottom...and...nevermind...I'm getting carried away too!
Actually i took the snow pics just to create a little weather-jealousy in the florida and
california carvers. I was only outside for about 15 minutes using a grinder to smooth the
areas between the carvings...everything else was done indoors.

M
McTiki posted on Thu, Mar 1, 2007 6:19 PM

BRRRRRRR! Damn Conga! Carvings look tight but you gotta be cold as Heck. (cleaning up my references) Nice Nice!

Mahalo

McTiki

B
Bowana posted on Thu, Mar 1, 2007 7:57 PM

Hey Conga- The Tiki Totem looking really good! Judging from this one and your previous carving, (the Quad Dude) I would say that you've got quite a unique and original spin on your subject matter.

Try not to freeze out there.

Thanks McTiki and Dave...weather is getting better...happy days for guys like me, Lakesurfer,
Johnny P and that guy who moved to Florida, what's his name?
Just to show that I'm still alive, a few shots from the basement winter carving area

My original intention was to splash a little paint around his face, guess I will decide tomorrow
morning.
And then there's this side

Once again please pardon the flash, pics will get better soon when the carving enterprise
gets moved outdoors.

[ Edited by: congatiki 2007-03-10 18:25 ]

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Mar 10, 2007 6:31 PM

Wow, Conga! That looks great...and like a ton of work. I love the deep color you used for staining the high points and the darker colors in the lows. Very nice technique. As for splashing colors, what do you have in mind? The chisel strokes add a nice feel. Looking good my friend!

I sanded to the Mensters today! :)

-Gman

Mensters rock! I love the tool marks you left in. He has a very old soul in him.

It's only been a week! Have you forgotten me already? :cry: :wink:

My thoughts were so loud I couldn't hear my mouth...

[ Edited by: finkdaddy 2007-03-11 08:09 ]

J

I've been waiting for the Conga update for a while now. It looks great, we all have to deal witht the dreaded flash.

Your lucky to have a basement to carve in during the winter.

JP

H

EXTRA sweet! The chisel marks add so much to a piece-and so many times I've tried desperately to sand them out. Great job-vintage vibe. It looks like it could be a hunert years old!

B

Conga, this piece keeps getting Sweeter with Every update. You certainly have Lots of magick left in them old bonz.

Many thanks to all my kind friends, GMan, Finky, Johnny, Surf'n'Turf (love your boatload of tikis),
and Benz.
Of course I didn't forget about you Finkdaddy, your creations are so inspiring and you are
a fan of the Mensters too! What a combination. And a darn good guy on top of all that.
GMan, I have been pouring over NW Coast totems to get some painting ideas for the
back...the non-chizzed side. It's kinda scary cuz I am looking for the "vintage" look
that Surf'n'turf noted, so the paint can't looked too fresh. I want it to look a little
dusty and faded, planning to do some color on the eyes and mouth, wish me luck!
It looks like the northern tier is finally out of the deep freeze, good news right Johnny?
Thanks Ben, gotta go to work and pull a little more voodoo out of these sore bones.

Getting close now...

B

Looks like you found some more "Voodoo" from dem ol' bonz!

Thanks Ben...I'm pretty happy with how things turned out, but this is still a very heavy chunk
of wood. Hard to move around for an old fart like me!
Gotta think a little before starting the next one but I have some big chunks of basswood that
are crying out for a full body carving with some cut-throughs, which will help reduce weight.
And it's gonna be more polynesia, although my attempt at NW Pacific was a fun experience.

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Mar 13, 2007 3:59 AM

Conga,

It looks like all your research regarding NW totems and colors served you well. Those colors are perfect and really make a statement without drawing too much attention. Very good choice. I like the NW side painted up much better than just stained, and not that he was hard to look at or anything....

So, some openwork on a big bass log, eh? I can't wait. For now....sit back, sip a strong one, and enjoy your new totem.

Great work,

-Gman

Hey Conga!! Awesome as usual... Love the chisel marks on the "double header side"! I'm going to remember thats when I crack into the log drying in my garage!

Hey Hodadhank, how ya doin'. Thanks for the comps. And just so you know,
I am gonna get Mindimbit going your way pretty soon. I finally found a box that
I thought would work, but it didn't. I'm just gonna buy a box so I can send your
buddy out west.
I've also got about two weeks into another chunk of basswood that I plan on showing
off in a coupla days. All you conga supporters stay tuned!

B

I Really love the colors on the "Used car salesman" above(OOPS, No Offense :) ) His wikkid little smirky smile is really neat with those teeth grinnin at'cha. Super good Farm boy.

Funny guy Ben, I should have carved him with a yellow jacket and plaid pants!
And what's this "farm boy" stuff? I only milked a cow once, and that was in a
"June Dairy Month" contest when I was in radio. BTW, I was seriously out-squirted
by a real "farm boy."

REal beauty of a carving, conga. You've done great justice to the melding of tiki and Pacific NW carvings.

THat sucka looks H E A V Y!!! Can't wait to see it done!

B

Just makin sure!

P
Paipo posted on Wed, Mar 28, 2007 6:45 PM

Superb! This is one of the nicest big tikis (or any-sized tikis) I've seen in quite a while. You've obviously really done your homework on this guy, beacause the finished product is beautifully resolved.

Many thanks Polynesiac, this might be my lone attempt at NW style but it was fun.
This one is really heavy, actually it seems heavier than it should be. hard for an
old man to move around.
And Paipo, thanks to you for visiting Conga's little corner of the world, and for
your kind words. I always check your thread (and the other stone guys) and I'm in
awe of what you're doing.
My next one is a TIKI, no mix of styles, not two sided or four sided, just a good old
tiki inspired by one of the fine painters here. Hope to show him off this weekend.

Looking good, Conga! I love the orange/red quality that your finish has.

Thanks finky!
As you can see, our old friend Conga has been hard at work, but not at cleaning the deck.
Our buddy on the left is an old piece that I just decided was finished, the butternut was
pretty crumbly so I just slapped a little stain on it and called it good.

This one is inspired by something on the "other crafts" thread, anyone recognize it?
Yes, I did get permission to attempt a copy

and the blotches on the victim's chin ARE blood. Got a little careless with the hook knife
after a few cocktails last night

There is much work to be done, gotta figger out the upper arms, do a ton of sanding,
and much detail work with the knife. Stay tuned!

wow, looks really great! im really looking forward to updates on this one. well...lets just say those blood spots on his chin gives him...character.
great job

B

Well, whe you mess around with tiki Sharks'n hook knives, you're gonna get bit. You SHOULD Know that those are a Deadly combination even I wouldn't tempt That fate!
However,Nice tiki, you really are capturing him nicely.

G
GROG posted on Sat, Mar 31, 2007 12:32 PM

Are you going to carve the big-eyed puppy with the bone to go with it?

Thanks Duddy and Ben.
Yes Grog, I am working on the puppy but I just can't seem to get the ears right

Conga,
I like the rough hewn way that butternut piece came out, looks authentic. The piece is unique and well done.

ST

Some really nice stuff going on up there Conga, but don't put that jacket away yet... arctic cold is back for a visit next week!

You and I keep the tiki in this state balanced out good... you up north and me down here in the south... somehow we keep Wisconsin level. :wink:

Hope you're making the trip down for Exotica this year... 7-7-07!

H

On 2007-03-28 11:08, congatiki wrote:
Hey Hodadhank, how ya doin'... just so you know,
I am gonna get Mindimbit going your way pretty soon.

Cool! I'll tell the girls to keep holding up the sign.

J

Conga's conjurin' some new stuff. Excellent. I alwalys enjoy your posts and updates.

JP

Hey thanks for visiting my fellow tikiphiles...appreciate the motivational input.
The TikiShark tiki continues to take shape...

Gotta get back to work on the feet and the base, and will hopefully start finishing
work this weekend. This has been a fun tiki to attempt, but I have a hard time
fighting the temptation to just go nuts and dig. I am thinking my next one will be
a good old fashioned Conga-style nightmare-freaky-png-something. But who knows,
anything can happen.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 2403 replies