Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

New stuff added!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 1,965 replies

S

Nice! I have got to do one some day?

S

Very nice, you have got this down.

A
AKUAE posted on Mon, Dec 7, 2009 2:25 AM

Hey Aloha
very nices MOAIS - great grains at the cypress Moais
for me MOAIS are the coolest TIKI's they are very strong with
some easy lines
go up for the amazing work and send us more pics

Akuae

Seeks - I would love to see you do one. Moais are deceptively complicated. Controlling depth and angles throughout is tough. Especially to someone that refines each cut like you do. My cuts are quick and rarely refined - its a matter of my impatience. Get on it!!

They must look so awesome standing in your garden like that. Cypress? Never carved that wood but you REALLY make it work for your Moai.

Aloha!

Marcus

K
Kino posted on Fri, Dec 11, 2009 11:04 AM

Aloha station, your small army of Moai's are very soothing for me.
Nice to hear you got off the pot to finish 'em.
I have a pile of logs curing right now, that I will be doing the same thing with !!!

2 months since an update - what the hell am I doing?

L

I asked myself the same question yesterday or before yesterday... Also then?

J.

K
Kino posted on Wed, Feb 3, 2010 2:42 PM

I have the same problem. Just been busy, busy, busy.
But I did manage to bust one out this year. ( just recently)

Well its been a while since I've posted an update. Mostly because the stuff I'm working on just isn't up to snuff IMHO. The Coconut logs that I acquired have not been very receptive to my carving. First I started off with cutting a log in half and carving it while it was still very wet. Carved great but dried like crap! The halves warped and cracked dramatically. The cracking will look great once I stain them but the warping bizarre - these are salvagable. It went so well with the halves that I immediately started the largest of the logs. The plan was to carve the image and leave the bark on to reduce the cracking. It worked, but I ran into another problem - MOISTURE. While the outside of the log dried nicely the inside turned into moldy straw (middle image). Some of my initial cuts were too deep and as it dried the body completely broke off! While checking its progress in drying I grabbed the tongue and it broke off with no pressure - DAMN! This log will probably be a total loss!!! 3 hours of carving lost!

Meanwhile, I have also been working on my Mahogany tiki. Progress is slow with this one but its really starting to shape up. Below is just a tease...

King of the leaning tikis.

C

Yes, you are the king of the leaners:-)
I really...really like the one on the right. Great pose and
typical Alohastation attitude. Nice stuff.

yepper those coconuts are a pain!!! but the guy on the right i have to aggree is kickin !!!! i luv it!!! cheerz!!

T

Those two tikis look drunk, which is perfectly acceptable! Save that bodiless mute tiki for a beach burn. I'm diggin' that mahogany tiki, it's got AlohaStation written all over it.

B

YO TOM, Ya, that stuff Ain't up to Snuff and Sho'nuff you don't seem 'ta care cause you keep carving the same Bent and twisted bodies that make us all smile and laff and wonder just how you did dat and we wonder how you don't try fixin'um up. I think you gots your friend/brother/Pal, Will helpin'you and .......xxxoooxxxoooxxxoooxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxxooxooxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxoxxoxoxoxooxxxxxoxxoxxxxoxoxxx now stop that you tu!

Yer stuff is Heaps better than you think it is and you should get a write-up in the tiki Magazine soon. Call Nick and make it happen or I will Will,,Won't you??? In Fact there should be a whole SoFlochapter Everymonth and I Think you Should head it up, what Say Tom, Hey?/ Seriously!!!

i seacond the motion!!! yeah wattyah say!?!? cheerz!!

How tall or old(guestimate) were the coconut trees?

I have been a tree trimmer here in Hawaii for over 15 yrs. & have cut down a lot of trees. I have never tried carving coconut trunks, but from my experience of just working with them, I wouldn't bother with anything less than 20' from under the bottom of palm's head. That is the softest and more prone to split part of the trunk(coconut palms only).

What might work best is anything beyond that length, meaning trees would have to be taller than 20'. The grain(red/brown dots on crosscut section) should be more tightly close to each other & not spaced like the softer part.

Although the trunk is a whole lot harder, I'd think for carving, your time & energy will be well worth spent because it will last a whole lot longer.

It's just my opinion.

L
laojia posted on Mon, Feb 8, 2010 9:34 PM

Curious thing that palm tree in dry rot. I love the two bent tiki brother and I am waiting to see more the Mahogany ...

J.

Nice work Tom. They look great, even without a tongue. :P

GIve me the workout of real wood any day, I don't know how you guys deal with that palm. I've had a piece here for 6 years, I think if I touch it it will turn to dust.

But like the others said, I love the character these guys have got with the leans and all, way to work with what nature gave ya!

I love the one on the right. Nice work

Thanks for all the compliments - they keep me motivated. The tikis were straight when I started - I swear - obviously they weren't happy with their posture and as they dried the wood warped. It does give them a very organic feel.

Mango - I don't know if the tikis are drunk, but I did notice my rum stash is starting to dwindle.

BTS and Nutzo - The logs were very fresh from trees that were probably over 40'. The Coconuts were a dream to carve very soft and moist (I would compare it to carving an apple - easy and wet). The issue came when I left them to dry. I knew there would be issues but I wanted to see if I could overcome some of the disadvantages. If you split the logs in half and remove the core the logs dry nicely. However, you do need to either brace or use something to hold the logs flat while they dry. The base of the logs dries well while the main stalk of the tree has a core of the stringy fibers (this may be different for different species of coconuts). Standing dead palms would be my choice next time.

laojia - Not dry rot - the opposite - too much moisture!

Benz - stop it, I'm blushing. I don't know about SFL article, but maybe something about Garage carvers (or hobbyists).

Lake - I haven't had to much luck with palm and agree with you about carving hard wood. The problem I run into is the logs are always wet or the bark is nightmare or the fibers don't hold detail... That's why I really enjoy working on the Mahogany. I'm very fortunate to have those trees growing around me locally!

Now I have to get busy and finish sanding - sanding - sanding - sanding...

S

Fine fine fine work. Love the attitude of the guy on the right!

T

The bodies are sick! very clean that is such a pain in the ass for me to get done.

After watching my buddy carve his Monster Muddler for Frankie's...
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=29383&forum=7&start=90
you know I had to get in on the fun.

I shaped the dowel on my lathe and carved the handle. The muddler is 13" long with 8" of muddler and 5" Ku. Carved in Cherry(?), stained and finished. Wplugger made the base for his muddler but it wasn't the right size - fits mine perfect. This was fun so I may do more.

SWEEEEEETTTTT !!!! I LUV THIS ONE!!!! very cool little guy on top!!! cheerz!!

So you think I've been slackin' - well I have and I haven't! Many of you know that I have the habit of whittling on small pieces of wood to keep occupied. I often carry them around in my pocket and fondle them whenever I can. There's something about the fell of the wood and sharp cuts that intrigue me. Here are some of my "Pocket" tikis - soon to be pendants (just need to be sanded and clear coated)...

Tang - 2.75" tall

Moai - 2.5" tall

Lono - 6" tall

I have some other larger pieces in the works but time has kept me out of the garage. More to come soon.

CA

Moai - 2.5" tall

this guy looks like Benzzzzzz?? i'm i nutz?

not that he made it.. but it looks like the man who is Da Man!

[ Edited by: crazy al 2010-03-15 19:56 ]

TT

Very nice!!! If that's what a little slacking produces, I think I'll do some myself.

On 2010-03-15 19:54, crazy al wrote:
this guy looks like Benzzzzzz?? i'm i nutz?
not that he made it.. but it looks like the man who is Da Man!

It should - He showed me how!

T

Playin' Pocket Tiki. Certianly something I must try.
Those are some great pieces Do you use one tool on those lttle guys or do you have an a assortment?

W

Ben usually only looks like that when he cuts himself.

godz - I have the assorted tools but these small pieces are usually carved using either the hook knife or an Xacto. I like the Xacto because the blades are cheap, sharp and thin. Palm chisels are fun to use on the small stuff, but I've had some experiences that turned me off of them. Rotary tools are fun but a little awkward to carry around - the hook knife blade can be tucked into the handle and fits nicely in the pocket.

T

Thanks for the reply I deffinitly hve to look into a hook knife. MAHALO

B

Aloha, I guess that's a True BenzArt piece :o

Really cool though I can't say I relish the thought of being carried around in your pocket (Thanks Al, ()&*^). Cool stuff though as Usual, your stuff is clean and crisp. Amazing what a couple knife blades can do in the hands of the right person.

BT

Is that a Tiki in your pocket or...

lol, very cool carvings. Gives me the itch to get back into it, shop space would be so nice. (my last keyboard got filled with wood chips)

I like the fact you're not sanding them down, I really think the angles add alot to them, the Moai has got so much character.

[ Edited by: Badd Tiki 2010-03-17 08:56 ]

M

that maoi is awesome! great scale and proportion.

Badd Tiki - I like unfinished look as well. The blades cut so nice that sanding is only done if I need to round something off. The fact that I hate sanding has something to do with it too.

Still plugging away at the small stuff. Here are some more small bits that are unfinished. I'll finish the batch soon by coating them with lacquer.

I'm real happy with all of these - especially the skull. I have a thing in head that I want to be able to carve a skull without using a reference. So you will see more of those.

T

Hey Aloha can you show a pick of the tools u use?
I think you siad its basswood ?
Thanks in advance and those guys are really nice!!!!

G
GROG posted on Mon, Mar 29, 2010 7:51 PM

Killer pocket tikis. GROG like.

You're on fire! Love that full body on the 6-incher.

L

On 2010-03-29 16:46, AlohaStation wrote:

Nice serie of pocket tiki.
In walnut?

J.

tikigodz - Below is an image from a while back, but it shows my preferred tools.

The hook blade is a great tool - fits nicely in my hand and it can hold almost any shape blade or chisel (I mostly use the hook blade seen $3/ea). The curve of the blades allows you to make nice deep plunge cuts without putting a lot of pressure into an awkward angle. The other is an Xacto knife with standard #11 blades, perfect for small detail. I usually wear out the rubber grip and replace it with tape. The only issue I have with them is that Xacto makes the shafts out of aluminum which can be stretched after a while (they won't screw in and won't hold the blades tight). No worries - a new handle is only $5 and a box of 100 blades is around $10 (a box of blades has lasted me 5 years, I've gone through MANY handles). Some blades last a long time, others only last a few cuts.

laojia - yes Walnut. I started off carving more exotic woods but found that I am allergic to many of the exotic woods (Koa, Paduak, Cocobolo, Purpleheart...). I really like the Walnut - its firm, holds detail great, and I have a pile of it. The wood should last a while since I'm only using small pieces at a time.

P

send me the skull!!

spooookieeeeeeeeeee . . . . .

T

Mr. Station I simply cannot believe you do that kind of work with those tools>
Jk That is pretty f'n awesome!!!!

Some great looking hand candy there! I'm going to have to try that hook knife someday.

B

MAn Tom, Your "Pocket Tiki's" are Really getting fancy with that excellent detail. You are really getting better and better with the designs and detail. I'm really glad to see you taking the time to try to make your carvings better with every one. Excellent work.

P

Dude, those are awesome!

Wow, it blows me away how some of you guys can create such detailed, intricate, small carvings.

I can barely keep from cutting my fingers off making big tikis.

T

I like the tall dude. It's really cool with the addition of the collar around the neck and armband. Nice touches.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 1965 replies