Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

New stuff added!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 1,965 replies

P

i'm buying an extra return ticket for my next trip to floriduh so i can bring it home. hopefully i can get him in a middle seat.

nice job.

Thanks for all of the comps. Been at the FtL Boat Show all week, and just catching up.

4WD - Yes, I painted the skull white, but left the tikis teeth natural. The crown and armband are also painted and IMHO the colors look better than the white.
Seeks - He may look rough but he's as smooth as butter.
Lake - The skull looks as if it is actually floating above the crown. Been having fun with the bigger chisels - more coming.
LLT - been trying to figure out a way to have the eyes follow you - I have a few ideas.
Perry - Does that mean your coming for Hukilau?

I'll post a few detail images later. My carving style does not focus on being exact (more spontaneous) and I hate sanding. So there are places all over him where I have left my "fingerprints" (errant chisel marks). These "fingerprints" help express his hand-carved nature and give him a lot of character.

A
amate posted on Sat, Oct 30, 2010 8:56 AM

Beautifully carved and finished! I hope to be able to do that one day.

B

Wow, that's quite an impressive piece of work! Scary!!

Don't put it outside on Halloween because someone will steal it!

Bowie

G
GROG posted on Sat, Oct 30, 2010 9:38 AM

A+.

don't know how i missed this one so long, very very nice. But we have come to expect exceptional
concepts and carves, so not surprised :)

B

Really Impressive carve Aloha, Super detail and to do him in this October heat wave was really Difficult. I can't believe we have had this hot weather.
Excellent Works.

Amate - I've seen your stuff - you're there!
Bowana - He was the guest of honor at my Halloween party! Unfortunately he drank way to much and started getting fresh with one of other tikis (I only noticed when I started smelling smoke coming from the hall closet).
Grog - are you grading on the curve?
Conga - I hope to keep you guessing, for a while at least.
Benz - Thanks. I actually carved him during the balmy days of August! Carve - beverage - pool - repeat! He sat in the garage for a while drying out.

Way to go Tom. You've got such a definitive style! That skull is so animated. Great!

M
McTiki posted on Wed, Nov 3, 2010 3:58 PM

Awesome!

It sure has been quiet around here.

Here's my new 3' piece of Chinese Fan Palm. This was cut down at the beginning of the summer and has been in the log pile for months. When I cut into it it was like carving an apple. The chisels love it - they just slice right thru it. Its still very wet. He will sit around for a while drying while I move on to something else.

Tom, I don't come over to "Carving" as often as I should and I missed your skull-topped tiki - VERY NICE!!! The Moai is damned handsome too.

P

that moai is killer bro.

Dang!
He looks so Stoic!
Great batch of carvings recently,Tom!

sweet moai tom.....he looks serious or thinking about something thats very important

[ Edited by: Creative Chimp 2010-11-19 06:47 ]

U hav MAD Carving Skills my friend!!!! Looks Great!! -going back to my Surf cave now,Aloha, Mooney

P

maybe he's thinking about how you should be carving something a little smaller.

;P

M

Top Shelf my good chum! Your "noses" are a signiture feature-- an Aloha Station piece always has a distinctive nose--- Excellent work as always! And00 Thos eears are an inspiration! BRAVO!!

K
Kino posted on Thu, Nov 25, 2010 6:52 AM

On 2010-10-26 18:51, AlohaStation wrote:
Well its been a month and the tiki spent his time in the sweatbox. After spending a month drying out I dove into finishing him. Paint, burn and Poly. He's 6' tall and the skull is right at eye level, very ominous. So just in time for Halloween...

[ Edited by: AlohaStation 2010-10-26 18:52 ]

Me likey this guy very much.
Is this all 1 log ? Or is the top skull added on ?

SCORE!!

L

Damn! Lot of work ahead...

I need a pick up!!!

J.

K
Kino posted on Tue, Dec 14, 2010 2:06 PM

On 2010-12-07 07:33, AlohaStation wrote:
SCORE!!

INDEED !

The chisels have been active. Pics soon.

Kino - that is one piece of wood. check out the progress shots to get a better idea of how I did it. I'm really looking forward to diving into the new logs but must wait for them to dry a little.

B

Them's sum Nice Logz there Aloha!

nice details

I resolve to find a new outlet for my creative ventures.

What does that mean? I don't know but it sounds good. Honestly, what I want to d is to try some different mediums. Clay and other sculpture mediums are intriguing me. I hope expand my knowledge with the help of friends and the many great artists on this site. That does not mean I want to give up wood carving, it simply means I want to expand my horizons... Happy New Year everyone.

Happy New Year Tom!!! You will like sculpting, I think it's easier than carving - HAVE FUN!!!

For Grog. An update from the workshop.

This guy is still drying. Getting close - I've started doing some moko.

Started carving a 6' log that had started to rot. I sliced it in half and started on a project inspired by Wplugger. He has been carving lizards with shell eyes (and supplied me with 2 nice shells). Well I had to try and keep up so I roughed this guy out. The Palm was crap - very moist and stinking like ammonia. I didn't want to put much time into the carving if the wood was crap. It sat for a while to dry out and I have finished carving on it. Needs to be sanded but the wood was too soft. I have since given it a coat of Poly to stabilize the wood so I can sand it (I left the back side unfinished to allow the log to continue drying). It will have a very rough look, but I like it. Update soon.

This is another piece of the crappy log. I had this idea rolling around in my head and it made its way out. Started off as quick sketch then a drawing and then a carve. Here's the sketch.

A few chainsaw cuts later and I had it roughed out. Changes have been made since the photo. Teeth have been made, a base needs to be done, and I still need to tie a small float lamp. It needs to dry alot - right now he's very moldy. I really like this and will probably do another one with a better piece of wood - maybe mahogany??

M

That's gonna be a sick lil fish Aloha! Nice!

Kick ass!

I love the Angler Fish!

Drooling over those logs!

T

These new ones are really nice. The fish, wow, that's a departure. Excellent stuff!

A
amate posted on Fri, Jan 21, 2011 3:36 PM

very cool stuff. I love that lizard. I recently started a crocodile to go with several PNG things I'm working on. I could have used some of you ideas.

L

On 2011-01-20 07:22, AlohaStation wrote:

Wow!!! Brilliant ideas! Can't wait to see the progress shot...

J.

B

COOL Stuff Aloha,, Love the fishin fish!

K
kirby posted on Sat, Jan 22, 2011 9:38 AM

Awesome!! Its kinda similar to my Fish painting!!I had thought of making a similar pendant at some point...crazy.

Very cool Idea,Cant wait to see it finished up!!
You should get tikiskip to make a tiny float that lights up... that would be cool.

[ Edited by: kirby 2011-01-22 09:43 ]

G
GROG posted on Sat, Jan 22, 2011 11:33 AM

Yay! Good to see some nice carves .

S

Seen this sucker on FB. Man looking great. Looks like a hard one to pull off but
it looks like you are doing it.

My next project is something that I have been wanting to do since I first started doing my pens. I took me a few years to finally figure it out. The first one is not pefect but works fantastic. I have already started the next one and solved many of the problems I had with the first one. Can you figure out what it is?

G
GROG posted on Thu, Feb 10, 2011 12:27 PM

Looks to GROG like it's a Tiki with something on it's head.

PEPPERMILL!!!!!

L

Marquisian pepper mill!

L

Mad Dog Mike won in the wire! F***ing online translator!

J.

Yes a Pepper Mill! It was fun project and will only get easier the more I do.

M

McTiki Likes!

Very clever of you sir.

Now, where is the freakin fish?

That is sweeet Tom. Love how you're doing the hands.

Happy VD! Here's an update for McTiki. I was inspired by painting by GreenTiki Pat (Vasser) - not really his painting as much as the frame. The frame incorporates the thorns for a Washintonian Palm. I loved the idea and have been wanting to incorporate it into something. When I came up with the idea of the fish it only seemed natural what I was going to use as teeth. I had to use a piece of PVC to soak the frong because they were too long to fit into the bathtub. It still cracked because I got impatient, dammit! I'll get it right on the next one.

S

Nice the teeth look real

M

Ooooooh. That's gonna be a righteous little fish sir!

Nice Tooofs!

Mc

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 1965 replies