Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

New stuff added!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 1,965 replies

A
amate posted on Thu, Jan 26, 2012 3:02 PM

On 2012-01-25 06:43, AlohaStation wrote:
I finished the Skull-eyed Marq last night. Still needs another coat of clear.
The big guy is progressing nicely.

The "eyes" have it! What are you using for a clear coat? The big guy is looking awesome!!!

M

Awesome stuff Tom.

Can't wait to see the biggun full size! Looking deep!

Mahalo

McTiki

Amate - no secret formula just satin Poly. First coat is the handrubbed poly - then after that it is all spray Poly.

L

Awesome Skulleyed Marq'! Very original! Very cool!

On 2012-01-27 13:01, AlohaStation wrote:
Amate - no secret formula just satin Poly. First coat is the handrubbed poly - then after that it is all spray Poly.

how does that hand rubbed poly work? it is easier to use?

This Saturday in Jensen Beach there is the Treasure Coast Wood Carvers annual show. Will, Benz and I will be there as visitors. No tiki, but plenty of amazing wood carving knowledge...

Langford Park
2369 NE Dixie Hwy,
Jensen Beach, FL 34957

Clubs address is http://www.treasurecoastwoodcarvers.com
Map here.
http://www.mapquest.com/maps?address=2369%20NE%20Dixie%20Hwy&city=Jensen%20Beach&state=FL&zipcode=34957

Skullyeyes looks awesome man!!

I took my family on a cruise to Cozumel this weekend and I'm still trying to back in the groove. It was a great weekend. Somehow, during the weekend, I was sober enough to do some whittling with my new knife that I got at the PSL wood carvers show. These are some chunks of Basswood (that I also got at the show). The skull was inspired by some skulls that I saw at several vendors in Cozumel. I have been wanting to do a female figure for some time and is my first try (inspired by my lovely wife - of course)! More to come.

T

Sounds like two great weekends in a row! Great little carves. Do I sense some female tikis in your future?? :wink:

P

Very cool Tom.

Wish I could have made it down.

C
cy posted on Tue, Feb 14, 2012 8:29 AM

I got to get me one of those knives so I can carve as well as you do AlohaStation! (and those sunglasses look so REAL!)

B

Nice stuff Tom, You sure your wife doesn't mind you showing us all her Hot Bod?

Very nice! Sure is a light colored wood ... looks like its soft.

More experimentation. Piece of Basswood. If you carve and have never tried using Basswood - you in for a treat. Soft, light and is great to finish.

About 85%

P

nice Tom!

You've been busting out some funky stuff lately....I dig it!

Did you pick up some "combustible creativity enhancers" while you were in Mex Tom? :lol: Great stuff, love the bikini gal with the straw hat.

That's me - funky fresh and keeping everyone on their toes! :D
I'm not confessing to anything. This guy has been carved since the end of January. The logs here are so moist that I let them dry before finishing them. I like to break the process into two segments: carving and finishing. Carving is the fun part! Finishing is the most rewarding.

Tip of the Day - On this one I used a torch to "paint" some of the low spots - created a sort of petina (the buring leaving a great visual texture). The problem is when the heat from the flame just won't reach into the creases. Easily solved by brushing on really thin black paint. Making the paint really thin allows me layer the amount of black. After painting I will follow up with more flame to remove any brush marks.

M
McTiki posted on Fri, Mar 9, 2012 3:29 PM

Love Funky Fresh! Love your styles.

Mahalo Tom

McTiki

C

Looking forward to seeing a full shot of the latest fella, looks like its going to be great.
You always pack a lot of life and character into your expressions...and the finishes are
among the best. Very distinctive style.

T

Looks killer so far. Something fancy going on up top it appears.

A
amate posted on Sat, Mar 10, 2012 8:40 AM

On 2012-03-09 17:32, TheBigT wrote:
Something fancy going on up top it appears.

Can't wait to see a better shot of the hat.

On 2012-03-10 08:40, amate wrote:
Can't wait to see a better shot of the hat.

You asked for it and I don't want to disappoint...

More whittling - I did this one while hanging at the recent Swap Meet...

T

Cool. Love the colors in the crown.

Cool stuff! I dig the style of the skulls.

So what do you do with small carvings that you have starting to collect. Finish them up and make bottle stoppers out of them! I'll be offering these up in the Marketplace if anyone is interested. Most are carved in Basswood, the one on the far right is carved in Walnut.

More to come...

Nice work...just the sort of thing to make drinking even
more fun!

C

Very cool bunch of guys and great idea too.

Here are some simple Bar Muddlers. Turned and carved - the wood is a mystery except two are Mahogany. I've posted these up in the Marketplace as well.

[ Edited by: AlohaStation 2012-04-13 08:20 ]

Great bottle toppers Tom. Just the thing to spice up a boring liquor collection, great idea and beautifully done, of course.

Coolio Tom! Love the angry Moai!
Your going to Hukilau this year? I'm in.

C
cy posted on Fri, Apr 13, 2012 12:32 PM

Remarkable stuff AlohaStation, but one problem may hurt sales. Most tiki people I know open a bottle of rum and throw the cap away as there won't be any left at the end of the evening.

Thanks guys!

Cy - when I was just beginning to corrupt my liver, a wise old biker passed along a bit of knowledge. Never set an open bottle down without securing the top. It took several natural disasters (bottles spilling their contents) for me to learn that lesson! Now its like a reflex - even if I'm gonna drain the contents. Rum - its good to the last drop!

WARNING NOT TIKI. This started out as an experiment in anatomy, and sat for a while. When I started finishing the other Bottle Stoppers I had an AHA! moment. Here's the result. Carved Basswood with Walnut horns and Mahogany base, painted.

P

very cool Tom.

I like the minis...

M

Love these little guys. So much expression! Very nice!

nice SheDevil too!

Mahalo

McTiki

C
cy posted on Fri, Apr 13, 2012 1:49 PM

Your biker amigo makes an excellent point Aloha, Really dig the she-devil. Even though it's not tiki it still has your style. Like the way the neck connects to the head.

The profile pic of that she devil just freaked me out! That's spooky!

Good work on those pieces, the moai stands out as exceptional!

Great idea with the bottle stoppers! I have quite a few small carves around, maybe I'll have a go...

K
Keylo posted on Sat, Apr 14, 2012 4:26 PM

Great expressions. Diggin the pygmies!

S

My Fav bottle top is the Lono NICE! looks like the most work

I'm still trying to recover from this weekend. Hukilau was fantastic!! Everyone on these boards should be going to that event. Thank you to Tiki Kiliki and her staff for putting on one hell of a party!! Compliments also go out to the Mai Kai and their staff for going the extra miles with all of the crazy tiki peeps.

I delivered my big Pineapple Tiki to the new owners just before Hukilau, but never posted picks. These pics were taken the when I first stood him up. I never made an adjustment to the base, so I was prepared to do some fine tuning to get him to stand straight. We were amazed when we got him up and he stood firmly in the wind. Big tikis are really fun!

M

Awesome and monolithic carving there sir!

Glad you lucked out with the base the first time up!

Mahalo

McTiki

K

This guy would have fit right in at the old Pineapple Plantation off 27 near Lake Placid. Cool stuff!

Very Cool!

Oh Ya, Love it love the size!

P

I dig the big 'uns!

Very cool stuff Tom...

That's either a really tall tiki or a very petite daughter,
but it's a cool carve no matter. Nice effort, distinctive
AlohaStation style.

N

Very nicely done...that looks great!

Who says size doesn't matter :)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 1965 replies