Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

New stuff added!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 1,965 replies

very cool design on the bottom one Aloha Station...nice look with the teeth...a little different
that the usual! Nice work.

J

Everything blends and goes together perfectly in that style. Very nicely executed design and style. What's the TF on the back stand for?

JP

[ Edited by: JohnnyP 2006-07-13 16:37 ]

He is too cool! 8) Great work. What kind of wood is he? Palm?

B

Yes AS, this last one is Really Tough looking, I like him a Lot too. Man, you are getting really GOOD!.

Thanks for the comps everyone. I started carving 2 years ago and feel that i have progressed nicely. Looking back at that first pen amazes me. I work on the computer everyday this is a nice way to releive some stress - my wood in one hand and a sharp blade in the other. :o

Kahaka - I sent you a PM.

Conga - Thanks, but yoy are man for going "outside the usual".

JP - The TF is my signature - initials.

Savage - He is Basswood and only a few inches tall. He is what I call a "pocket tiki" - I carry these guys around and when I have time I carve on them a little. The Basswood is ideal for that, because it is so easy to carve. Practice makes - umm - tikis!

Ben - Thanks - just trying to keep up with everyone else here - especially you!

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Jul 13, 2006 6:24 PM

You're scaring me..."my wood in one hand and a sharp blade in the other." That makes my hair stand up!

I'm loving this last guy. You are amazing!

-Gman

GREAT tikis - you got some serious talent! I love the new guy, very cool expression and that body is very well done too.

Kahakas, right...that tang kicks ass.

All hook knife? that's insane.

I love the way you work your carvings - all deep cuts and very extreme angles. And everything carved out as bold as possible. Very cool style you've developed in those 2 years!

A-A

Here's the little guy all finished. he's 4.5" tall. i really like the way the body came out on him - so I may use hime as a template for a lager piece. Enjoy!

woah, that's the cutest tiki!
(cute in a very badass way of course)
is he for sale?

H

Excellent work! Looks great!

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Jul 24, 2006 12:29 PM

Man, that's sharp! Time to quit your day job......

-Gman

P
Paipo posted on Mon, Jul 24, 2006 2:03 PM

I love it, the design is really balanced and the deep carving gives it plenty of expression. It's oozing attitude and looks like it's ready to kick some ass!
I too would like to know if you sell these, this one would be great to cast.

[ Edited by: Paipo 2006-07-24 14:03 ]

P
Paipo posted on Mon, Jul 24, 2006 2:33 PM

I'm posting again because I just read through the rest of the thread - I thought I'd seen it before but hadn't. One of the bonuses of being a newbie here is there's something awesome and undiscovered to read every day.
Very nice progression from your first pens up until now, you've really got some talent. It blows me away how quickly you guys go from your first carvings to such a high level in a really short time. Do you do nearly all your small work with the two tools above? Where can I get them (especially the super comfy looking xacto handle)?

B

AS, This guy is really great. He has Nice form and excellent, crisp detail. You are truly becoming a Master carver!

Thanks for the comps. This guy is not for sale. I'm still trying to keep this a hobby, at least for little while - the day job is way to comfortable.

Here's the Skull Tiki - #6
I'm not happy with the way the skull came out so I have to sand and refinish that. The rest of the tiki came out right on. This was my first experiment wth several color stains - I like it!! First I used the torch then hit it with the stain and poly. The issue with the head being too heavy for the "neck" hopefully will work out. I hollowed the head the best I could with the chainsaw and chisels. Now I have to cross my fingers and sacrafice some virgins to keep the smile on his face. More to come...

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Jul 24, 2006 6:11 PM

AS,

This guy is baddass! But wait, I don't see a hole in his head where you hollowed him out? What gives? Are you playing tricks on us again? Come clean or we'll git you!

-Gman

He's been hollowed out thru his sinuses. I dug about 10" deep straight thru the roof of his mouth. It was a tough angle with the wrong tools - but a releived a little weight.

M

Aloha, The last few of them have rocked but, that last one is sweetness, and I don't blame you for not parting with it.

Mahalo

Mc

H
Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.