Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

New stuff added!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 1,965 replies

I'm getting closer. I need to take some glamour shots. here's a sneak peak...

M
McTiki posted on Thu, Oct 4, 2012 9:54 AM

That mask looks mean! Nice touch on the nose and eyes!

Thanks for sharing

Mahalo

McTiki

P

dude...that skull guy is creepy!

cool! just in time for Halloween...

A
amate posted on Fri, Oct 5, 2012 7:15 PM

On 2012-10-05 02:51, Atomic Mess wrote:
cool! just in time for Halloween...

Trick-r-treat! :D

P

i hope you put a great, orange light behind that when it's on your porch.

maybe a fog machine to make it come out the mouth. it would scare all the curly tails away.

Yes special effects are in the final stages. I had to carve the back of the log out for it to dry so there is plenty of room inside for effects. On the other hand, while I have the stuff out, more finishing this weekend. They still need one more sanding and another coat of Poly.

It amazes me still - the way palm transforms from a white, stringy mess to a silky, beautiful golden brown with the addition of Polyurethane!

Aloha, Aloha!

Wow...these new ones are really lookin' top-notch! I dig the mask and agree with everyone else, saying how it's a perfect carving for the season! Zombie-tiki...hmmm...zombiki?

TOTALLY digging that last cook islands inspired one with the heart - very playful and animated carving, super well done! I've been really into carving out the spaces in tikis recently and love the look of the arms and the body!!!

C
cy posted on Mon, Oct 8, 2012 4:57 PM

Animated is a great description Aloha, really like the tiki holding the heart.

C

Carve deeper! Just kidding, really nice work, looking forward to special effects. And
since you're here, hello to Polynesiac. Don't see you around these parts that often.

M
McTiki posted on Mon, Oct 8, 2012 5:24 PM

Beautiful symetry ! I love the one holding/offering its heart!

Mahalo!

McTiki

Little heart guy looks like he's giddy in love - what a great thing!

P

sweet!

those are looking great Tom...

The Heart Tiki is intended as a wedding gift for my brother. I'll give him the choice between this or some fancy dishes. I leave Wednesday, I hope I get it finished in time!

Polynesiac - you need to come around more often. Will Carve is one that has motivated me to carve away from the shape of the wood. The best way to do that is to punch a bunch of holes into it. I had experimented with the body shape of the Heart Tiki before tackling the larger piece of wood. The bottom half is my favorite part of the tiki. The neck/chest/head did not come out quite like I wanted. Next one will be better.

Scaring the crap out of kids in my neighborhood. Smoker and airhorn with my cute little daughter passing out candy - they expect it and still get scared. My house isn't even close to being the scariest on my block.

M
McTiki posted on Thu, Nov 1, 2012 7:56 AM

LOL..... Airhorn would scare anyone.

Thats just mean......... but fun!

Mahalo

McTiki

C

Wow, that carving is huge, OR, you daughter is very tiny.
Pretty impressive, I didn't realize the scope of the project
from the earlier pics.

what he said ˆ

great pic!

A
amate posted on Thu, Nov 1, 2012 4:08 PM

Yeah, I was thinking that guy was about 2 feet tall max. A lot of work in that one.

Its about 4+' - that log was so big and nice that I wanted to get 2 pieces out of it. The Lono is done I just need to take some glamour shots of everything. At first I could barely move the halves. Now that they are much drier, they weigh around 30lbs/each. I am going to offer this and others for sale soon.

P

lol....the air horn thing just cracks me up....

that shit is hilarious...I can just see 'em jumpin'!!!

C
cy posted on Fri, Nov 2, 2012 8:33 AM

Looks great Aloha, really like the colors used for the finish.

Rather unassuming piece of wood. Do you see it? I do, and its a little out of my comfort zone.

P

what is it?

A
amate posted on Mon, Nov 5, 2012 4:22 PM

I see a horse or a whale depending on how I squint my eyes. Since this is TC and not the animal channel, I'm fairly certain both of those are incorrect. Looking forward for you to reveal what your eye sees. :)

I see the potential of a large manaia on that slab or some maori themed wooden panel.
I love that gargantuan halloween monster.

Hello old friends. Where have you been hiding? Time to get back to work.

M
McTiki posted on Thu, Nov 8, 2012 7:45 AM

Heh heh....

Can't wait to see what comes of this.

Awesome depth potential.

Carve on

Mahalo

McTiki

Getting closer. Now at the point where I hope I don't f*ck it up.

C
cy posted on Fri, Nov 9, 2012 8:46 AM

Great work Aloha, really nice face/hair you won't f*ck it up! You can't tell me you carved all that wood out with just those two tools though.?

M
McTiki posted on Fri, Nov 9, 2012 8:49 AM

Somethings fishy here.....

Nice maiden you got there Tom!

Mahalo

McTiki

No, the rough out was done a Wecheer rotary chisel. All the clean up was done with the knives.

P

looks great Tom!

looking good! I thought you were going to do a mask...

A
amate posted on Sun, Nov 11, 2012 5:20 AM

Really nice start. So happy you decided not to do a horse!

Very cool Tom. Nice title too - "Mermania"

P

Personally I'd much rather "do" a mermaid than a horse!

lol...

I haven't had much time to work on this. All the refinements take longer than the rough out.

Post turkey hangover! I thing I need another slice of Pumpkin pie! Here's an update from the bench.

I broke out the camera and some glamor shots of some recent projects.

Skull-eyed Marg - for sale

Wedding Tiki for my brother.

Quick carve that I let dry for a few months.

cool , like the skull eyed Marq...

More pics of old pieces. These were 2 halves of the same log. The fresh log was too big and heavy to deal with in my confined work space, so I cut it in half to help better manage them. As the pieces have dried, they have become kinda light (approx 35lbs/ea). They are 45" tall - not small.

The lono was an experiment in hiding a face in a face (inspired by LLT's drawings). Do you see it?

A recent discussion on another thread about paint - these peiecs the petina is painted not burnt.

C
cy posted on Thu, Dec 13, 2012 8:08 AM

Very nice Aloha.

Something new: got few hours to carve today. Soggy - rotting palm - kept it simple. I will be doing a few events in the coming months and need some cheaper tikis. The one on the bottom left is trash. There was a crack in the center of the log that I cut through. I'll let it dry and see if I can save it.

kool stuff aloha

M

"Cheaper" .... LOL!

Most would pay top dollar for those when done!

Well done!

Mahalo!

McTiki

Thanks, they came out better than expected (except the one). After 3 hours carving on Saturday I needed a cool down. Jumped in the pool and remembered why I live in SFL, 78 degrees!! My daughters thought I was crazy till I threw them in - they spent the rest of the day in the pool! The carvings are drying and will not be brought out till after the New Year. I have the holidays off and hope to do some more carving.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 1965 replies