Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

New stuff added!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 1,965 replies

I'm sticking with the palm fronds for a while. I have several ideas rolling around in my head - here's one.

The mermaid is all done - I just need to take final photos. here's an image before final finishing.

B

Tom, You are really doing some Fine stuff with the palm Fronds, I'm Really glad you took the plunge and I'm really interested in seeing the results of other species.

Did I hear some type "detail knife work"? heres another palm frond - glamour shots to come.

C
cy posted on Wed, Mar 5, 2014 11:44 AM

Sure do like your style Aloha!

T

How did...?! That's killer. I can't even see stuff that small. Now the tough question - which species was each carving? :lol:

One species - one frond. These are stacked.

A
amate posted on Sun, Mar 9, 2014 6:42 AM

Nice work Aloha! I finally got around to trying my hand at one of those fronds. The knife work is a whole new skill set and not as easy as it looks.

A
amate posted on Sun, Mar 9, 2014 6:44 AM

Or should I say...as easy as you make it look :)

P

it's gettin' ridiculous with these fronds Tom!!! lol...

you're becoming the FROND MASTA!!!

and DON'T THROW AWAY THAT ROSEWOOD LOG!!! I WANT IT!!!

B

Tom, I was truly Amazed and blown away with your Palm frond tikis. You and Willie are really pushing out some sweet stuff!

cool stuff with the fronds.

I just finished this one. Ironically, I was just commissioned to carve a cannibal pendant. I think its a little big, but you'll never notice once you get a few drinks in ya.

Carved in a soggy, rotten, stinking, nasty palm. It actually turned out rather nice - considering.

P

hell yeah bro,.. that kicks ass... 8)

M

Whoa! Really? Fronds? That's just genius!

McTiki

McTiki: That's no frond - its WillCarve!

Here's my latest palm frond. It will be a necklace for Swizzle. I swapped a Bob-O-Nut mug with him at the Hukilau. I've got a lot more to do to it.

I also took a few minutes to experiment with a water melon. How often does it work out when you start off describing "I saw this on the interwebz and had to try it". Carved for about 30 minutes - till we got hungry and ate it!

[ Edited by: AlohaStation 2014-07-10 13:34 ]

Nice melon Tom! :wink:

Were you looking on to a spoon
when you carved that?
Just askin.

S

Looks great so far Tom, can't wait to see it finished. The other two pieces made it home without customs inspecting them at all.

P

I'm going to have to make one now... lol...

wow!!!!! how have missed this thread these carves are so clean and crisp I really admire the detail

I have been inspired by my new medium (palm fronds) and have a lot of ideas rolling around in my head. Taking what I carve and using them in unusual ways. Some experimenting is going to be required. In the meantime - here's my latest.

That was a palm frond
Holy transformation
Outstanding

How about a step by step show

C
cy posted on Wed, Jul 23, 2014 7:56 AM

Youdaman Tom, outstanding!

H

Love it.

G
GROG posted on Thu, Jul 24, 2014 1:26 AM

Saw one just like it on Deviantart.

S

That is fantastic Tom.

Grog - I've seen that guys stuff and he's pretty good. There's another dude on FB that keeps posting my stuff too! I'm not sure how to stop them from posting??

M

How long do they need to dry out before you can carve them and what kind of palm is it? By the way, nice carve!

I don't know how to stop him from posting but I do know how to stop a rhino from charging - you take away his credit card! rimshot

Nice one Tom :)

When you hurry through life, you just get to the end faster.
Pirate Ship Tree House

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2014-07-25 10:08 ]

Mudbone - I'm still experimenting and every frond is different. This is what I've learned... You can start carving as soon as you want. The amount of water in a frond is generous, so if you carve them wet be aware that they shrink and warp. Carving them when wet is easier but does not allow a lot of detail (and its easier to over cut). I prefer carving them when they are dry. I have tried: Royal Palm, Sabal palm, coconut, triple-leaf, chinese fan, and some other random species (I have a wide variety to choose from in the SE Peninsula of the US Continental Tropics) - no favorite just different sizes and shapes. I carve using a hook blade or #2 Xacto.

M

Thanks for the information, the only wood I've carved from Florida was cedar, oak and eucalyptus and I can still smell it!

Some of the more recent projects I've been working on

Some details of the latest tiki. Tried a few things different on this one. Subtle but still different.

S

Cool stuff, looks good.

C
cy posted on Thu, Aug 21, 2014 7:58 AM

They all look so cool together Tom, greatness abounds!

I've been working on and off with this for about 2 months. Here's a teaser.

T

On 2014-10-13 09:08, AlohaStation wrote:
I've been working on and off with this for about 2 months. Here's a teaser.

Niiiice. Been carving this whilst sitting in the pool, huh?

BigT - not while in the pool but definitely next to it. So much so that I have to be careful that the shavings don't blow into it. In South Florida we only have 2 seasons - Summer and Spring - I am glad that we are entering Spring - was so chilly out the other morning, I almost had to put on jacket (got down into the 70s - brrrrrr!!)

More progress. Carving is done, now for some accents.

C
cy posted on Mon, Oct 20, 2014 11:14 AM

Awesome carve Aloha, what's up with your hand?

Nothing - its just a photogenic delusion.

T

Poolside carving... you are living the life man...

Not tiki but close. This is my Day of the Dead puppet. Carved in foam. Carried him in the South Florida day of the Dead processional.

T

Dude, that's awesome! I got nuthin...

These are the palm Fronds all finished up. Very little sanding is needed. This one is about 12" tall

This one was an experiment that went wrong and then right. It was supposed to be twice as long with another tiki at the bottom. I didn't plan very well and broke it off as I was carving. The skull is carved through the mouth, jaws, eyes and crown. The eyes have palua inserts (afterthought would have been to make them in jade). With all of the should/woulda/coulda going on with this one - it still came out great.

C
cy posted on Thu, Nov 13, 2014 7:57 AM

Fantastic Tom, one of my favorites!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 1965 replies