Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

New stuff added!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 1,965 replies

Now that's going deep!

Lookin, Killah as always!! Keep em comin!

I sent you a PM, A.S.

B

Another Bold and Beautiful creation. MAN, You have the chops most of us would die for. Your stuff really shows a lot of character and emotion. My only problem with your stuff is that there is NOT Enough of it!!!;)

Almost finished. They still need a few coats of poly. When the polturethane hits the wood the color will be more crisp and the teeth will be a different shade than the rest. The next in line with his buddies - he got a little hungry and needed a snack.

[ Edited by: AlohaStation 2006-09-26 12:35 ]

M

Aloha, these are totally Rad !!!!!!!!! Excellent job!!!!!

The canibal done just to rub salt huh?

All done with a hook?

Mahaloz

McTiki

[ Edited by: McTiki 2006-09-26 13:07 ]

H

Looks like one big happy family!
Seems to be alot of cannibilism going around TC.
I'm liking it!!

You da man, A-S!! Those are all Bad Ass!! Shoot me the PM for details.. I think they all need to stay together! HaHaHaHa!! Luv-N-It!

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Sep 26, 2006 4:50 PM

Damn son, those are on the ace! The cannibal looks like he is gonna be choice. Man, you really figured out that hook knife! I agree with Feddie - keep them together. I always love seeing your art.

-Gman

McTiki - The Cannibal was started a few weeks ago. We must be on the same wave length. Most of the deep cuts are done with the hook knife and the finishing is done with an Xacto. The Xacto is actually my weapon of choice for these smaller guys.

Gman - when are you going pick up that chainsaw again? Are you going to Huki? I will only be making a short appearance on Friday during my lunch hour. I hope to introduce myself to a few folks while wandering around. I'll be the guy without a hawaiin shirt on - I figure that will be the best way to stand out in this crowd.

The Cannibal should be done this weekend.

P
Paipo posted on Tue, Sep 26, 2006 6:05 PM

I love your stuff AS, you've developed a pretty distinctive style now. It does seem like everyone has gone cannibal crazy lately, and why not - it's such a cool theme!

Kia ora Aloha. Its great to see an individual style running through these. Great work! TTT

B

AS, these guys have tons of Personality, not to mention the perfection in detail and the colors. You are truely an artist we can All look up to. We gotta get together so maybe some of that talent can rub of on me!

Wow- Nice clean work.. Lots of personality it those lil guys. Great Job!

Here is the cannibal finished. Struggled with the finish on this guy but he came out great. These three are a happy family in a TCers collection.

Here are the next two in progress. The Pineapple head will become a beer tap. He is about 7 inches tall. The next is a full figure tiki that I just can't seem to find the time to finish. Comments and criticism are always welcome. Thanks

That cannibal turned out great!

I have a huge criticism tho... More time needs set aside to finish your tikis!!!! How many times must this be said around here already!! GEEZ... :)

Great work- Love how you did the top of the pineapple guy..

Great expressions -Such Pain, such pleasure!

Tama

Yo, T.Those are comin out great!! The detail on Pineapple head looks awesome.

M

You make it look sooo easy brah!

Nice little carvings for sure. Somone is going to be lucky to have them.

Mahalo

McTiki

Thanks for the comps. Time is precious comodoity around my house. I hope to have these done very soon. Now that the weather is starting to cool off, I have some palm logs that need my attention.

B

Aw c'mon, You/ Struggled? you are such a comedian. These guys are the same to you as brushing your teeth. You just crank'em out like nuthin!Excellent trio, the Cannibal really finishes it off.

great...just great....AS, you must have a secret automatic tiki making machine. they go in a piece of wood and come out a character mini tiki.

This was designed to be a tap handle. But it will be up to the new owner to decide how to use him. I did more experimenting with color washes - and I'm really happy with how he came out. I don't like the really bright flashy colors, so I thinned them out. Then stained the entire piece. He will get a few coats of poly and then he'll be done. Enjoy.

B

COOL AS, I Love the color Washes where you can still see plenny grain! Nice job.

M

AS, I love the color too. They are easy to apply and they can be as subtle as you want them. The Pinapple dude rocks!

Mahalo

McTiki

Oh Aloha, he's great lookin' a beautiful welcomin' piece.

T

That's a really great, happy style... they do look welcoming. The secret tiki making machine! Cool!

I'm glad to see alot of people were busy this weekend. I had a little time between projects to finally finish this guy. He is approx 12" tall and carved from Basswood. The pictures were taken in haste and some came ut a bit blurry - I hope you like.

M
McTiki posted on Mon, Nov 6, 2006 2:42 PM

Aloha,

Wonderful blending of the green. Me likey! Very cool spirit in this one.

I love the designs you come up with.

Mahalo

McTiki

B

AS, Your work rivals The best of Anyone here. You have come So far in such a short time, you are tryly a Master at your trade. Keep up the good work.

Tom.....all I can say is your the most humble guru at what you do, Homes.Beautiful as always...Holla..fB

Come on guys - your making me blush. I have been having a lot of fun with the Basswood, but its almost all gone. Broke down last month and bought a Weecher auto-chisel - WOW! I have attached it to my Dremel and can not believe how well it works. I haven't tried it on any hard woods yet, but thats coming. Started a couple of other pieces with it and will post pictures later. Anyway, thanks again.

H
haikai posted on Tue, Nov 7, 2006 7:55 AM

Very, very beautiful and clean work! Awesome piece!
What kind of color do you use? Pantone for wood???
I'm looking foward to what you do next.

On 2006-11-07 06:57, AlohaStation wrote:
Come on guys - your making me blush. I have been having a lot of fun with the Basswood, but its almost all gone. Broke down last month and bought a Weecher auto-chisel - WOW! I have attached it to my Dremel and can not believe how well it works. I haven't tried it on any hard woods yet, but thats coming. Started a couple of other pieces with it and will post pictures later. Anyway, thanks again.

Love the new work Aloha, especially the addition of color!

How did you get the Weecher to work with your Dremel? And what model Dremel do you have? I looked into it with mine but I couldn't get the Weecher collar to fit my Dremel collets.

K

Just found this thread and read it start to finish...
AS-
It was amazing to watch your talent progress! Keep crankin 'em out! I expect to see many more fab pictures, will keep this thread on my radar...
K.

HaiKai - The color was added with acrylic paint, thinned with alot of water. When the watery paint hits the wood, the wood soaks up the water and leaves a very thin coat of paint. After it dries I apply the stain and clear polyurethane. Its not as difficult using powder and gives me a broader range of color. Give it a try on a test piece of wood - thats what I did.

Lake - I have a Dremel MultiTool model 395. I simply screwed it on and it fit (replacing the flex-shaft that came with the Dremel). The collar is actually a bit londer than the flex-shaft that came with it, so I used my lathe to create a bushing that allows the Weecher to fit snugly. Other than that it I have had no issues with it.

Kikekeki - Thanks for the comps. I like having most of my work in one thread - hopefully it will motivate some newbies to give it a try.

B

I'll try it, what the heck. How big a piece of that wood to you start off with? what tools do you start off with? I know there is no way mine could turn out as good as yours but i will try, Thanks

Its been a while since I posted last, and I have been busy.

This was created as a comissioned piece for a girl that wanted it to look like her boyfriend's artwork. she posted here:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=21582&forum=7
I think it came out pretty well.

This was done for fun. I carved the main face and body and it needed something more. The Skull Hat was just something that I wanted to do. It would have come out much better if I had an actual skull to look at. Figured it out and I think it came out great. I'm still finishing it with paint and stain - should have it done by the weekend. There is another tiki on the workbench and should have that done soon as well. Enjoy.

I will be traveling up coast (to Jax) next week. If anyone is wiilling I'd love to make wood chips as a diversion, Send me a PM.

[ Edited by: AlohaStation 2006-11-28 09:26 ]

H
hewey posted on Thu, Nov 30, 2006 2:28 PM

Wow, missed some kool stuff in this thread :) Keep the little guys coming

B

WOW, I Saw Both these pieces today and the camera Really does not show the true picture. They are both Awesome. Well done AS. Thanks for the visit today, I Really enjoyed our time carving together.

Impressive! They look great. I always enjoy seeing your new creations. :)

I don't know why I haven't posted on your thread before, but I want to say that your work is very impressive! Your last two pieces are terrific and I'm looking forward to the next one. :)

N

That is some beautiful work AlhoaStation. I really do like the last two tikis. I was lucky enough to get the Ernie tiki you did a bit ago and would love to add the skull one you just did to sit along Ernie's side.

Thanks everyone.

The day at Benzart's house was a fun day, thanks Ben. Alot of knowledge was absorbed and hopefully will be shown here.

Fink - We both started carving around the same time - I think, in 2004. Now look at us, your hook are awesome and I always liked your wooden tikis as well. If you ever find yourself in S. FL. look me up.

Net - The tiki with the "skull hat" is large almost 45 inches. I think Ernie might develop a complex if he was next to him. Besides he is already spoken for sorry.

Here are my latest. The first one is a Moai I started about a few weeks ago and just recenly started Re-working. He's about 40 inches tall and carved from a Sabal/Cabbage Palm. I started trying to carve some detail into him but the palm doesn't hold detail at all.

Next I have the tiki I worked on at Ben's house. Looks familiar - doesn't it. If imitaion is flattery this tiki is all about it. It is an interesting piece of wood with a dead spot on the back. it almost looks like he tried blowing his brains out. All the work in creating a face with cool expression, Ben compiments me on the way I cut the shoulders - oh well - any compliment from ben pulls some weight. I still have a lot to do on this guys and will be posting pictures as I progress. C&C welcome.

B

Nice work.

Your moai is a masterpiece.
Keep on posting.

Ben

Here is a freelance project that i just finished. not really tiki but what the hell. There was alot added to this image that I did not want to show (logos, text...). I have more progress shots of the "tribute" moai and a few other things up my sleeve. I actiually need to get motivated and finish 2 large tikis in the garage. Oh well - back to sanding.

B

Hey, a Pirate Pegleg Cowboy, Now Thats something you don't see every day. Cool.

M
McTiki posted on Thu, Dec 7, 2006 7:58 AM

On 2006-12-07 07:23, Benzart wrote:
Hey, a Pirate Pegleg Cowboy, Now Thats something you don't see every day. Cool.

Yeah, kina like a OctoMoai! lol

Nice works Aloha ! Hey, if you need some wood, I gots lottsa Yellow Pine here for ya!

Mahalo

McTiki

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 1965 replies