Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

New stuff added!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 1,965 replies

B

When are you coming back up for more carving? I have cleaned out the garage the last 2 daze and have Lots more carving room, Come on Downnnn.

Soon. I'm not sure when. Family, freelance and work have me very busy.

Here's a "pocket tiki" that was given to a TCer that came to South Florida for a visit. Thanks for the pics.

Here's what I did this weekend. New carved Moai. I knocked this guy out pretty quickly in order to meet a deadline. I recruited some help for part of the work. Thanks to wplugger for the log.

B

Superbe.

W

AS.
Nice,
I might not have given that log away so fast if I knew that
was inside it.
Will

We are really getting some nice Moai designs lately...and here's another one. Great
job. We should all be so lucky to have a pair of cute assistants!

C

Very Nice!!

That Moai is very cool, nice and stylized but still traditional, cute kids too!

S
T

B

AS, What a Sweet Moai. It looks like your Style is really taking off and looking great.
AND you did that guy pretty Quick?
Excellent work.

Thanks for the comps everyone. Moais have been a recurring theme lately - this one was requested by the future owner. Knocked this guy out quickly because he has to be delivered by Friday. I challenged myself a bit with this one by timing my progress. Sanding - no surprise - takes the most amount of time, even with my helpers. Stained him last night and will put a few coats of clear on tonight.

B

Hey AS! Nice sharp angles on the Pocket Tiki. I'm sure the new owner is stoked about having it.

Nice looking Moai too. I also have been in the mood for Moai lately.

Here is the finished Moai. I had to take some quick pics before the rain came. Finished Palm is absolutely gorgeous - I stained him with a walnut color and coated him with Spar Urethane. I didn't have enough time to put as many coats on as I wanted but that will be up to the new owner. Enjoy

B

Aloha S....

Very nice! Love the way you delt with the base on this guy.

Cute kiddos you have there.

F

Aloha
That is just a sweet piece of work. I am becoming a great admirer of your style and the presence you instill in your pieces.
Best Regards
Flynny

That is such a sweet piece! It's all tiki modern and beautiful, unique, and, and, stuff. Great work!

J

On 2007-04-22 07:56, AlohaStation wrote:

I did enjoy! What did you use to carve this one? The "pedestle" on the bottom is a nice feature.

JP

Thanks for the comps. I was sad to see this one go. I didn't have a chance to photograph the back or side views - which I am now regretting. JP - Chainsaw and angle grinder were the main 2 tools. The bottom was supposed to be a chest with shoulder, but the problem with palm is that sometimes you get "dead" spots. Where the wood just doesn't cooperate - so took the saw and chopped it off! I have some new stuff on the way.

B

Very nice piece.

I'm very happy to learn that you're working on new stuff: don't hesitate to post progress pix :wink:

Dude thease things are sweet man nice job!!!!

Here is some new stuff. First is a "pocket tiki", he is carved from a scrap of Mahogany and is 3" tall. He reminds me of a frog or Sleestak from Land of the Lost. Maybe its just me?

Next is a new pen and holder. The wood is a mystery which was actually a disappointment to me. It did not take the stain as well as I wanted and the tight grain hid tiny cut lines that were not apparent till I put the stain on. The pen still looks great but not up to my expectations.

Last, is a progress shot. Carved in mahogany.

M
McTiki posted on Tue, May 1, 2007 7:29 AM

Beautiful AS!

Wow, very nice work AlohaStation. That little “pocket tiki” rocks. You’re getting really nice finishes on your work. Keep it doin’ it!

Mrs Hoptiki

As always,Homey...I dropped the PM. Maholla Back. fBalls>

B

AS, I Really Love your new pieces, the Pocket tiki is just a Beautiful "Toughie" lookin Sumbitch who Owns the Alley so Stay OUT or be Very Afraid. And the in progress tiki looks sweet enough to be loved by Anyones Mom. I Love his Movement.
The Pen is cool too, Bring all these tomorrow" The Moai is Excellent also. Bring him too! Fred will be there.

F

As I have said earlier, lovin everthin that comes from your hook knife / chisel. Gotta get me an Aloah piece.
Regards
Flynny

B

AS, it was Great having you and Will come up from Ft.Lauderdale the other day. The pictures don't do your stuff justice as usual. You forgot the base for your tiki(My Tiki!) unless you forgot it on purpose, I'll save it for your next visit.

Hey all

Here's an update. The previously attached pocket tiki was the product of an Xacto. The wood is beautiful but, as you will see stained, is WOW! Sorry, but the picture is a s blurry as I am after a day on the beach and at the pool. Here is another "pocket tiki" that was started at Benz place on wednesday. 100% created with an Xacto. Another scrap of Mahogany with a mahogany stain. He will be turned into a necklace by a lovely lady at my office.

Ben - we noticed that we left the base behind around Stuart. As far as "your" tiki - I'm envisioning a jade piece around my neck - hmmmm??!! I have not worked on him since we got back, but will be focusing on him this next week. He is sooo alive its almost spooky.

F

Aloah
Always looking forward to your thread update, once again didn't disappoint. You are gonna get a PM fella
Finest of West Country regards
Flynny

On 2007-05-05 19:51, AlohaStation wrote:
Here is another "pocket tiki" that was started at Benz place on wednesday. He will be turned into a necklace by a lovely lady at my office.

Lucky lovely lady!
Ive just caught up on the last few pages of your thread. I love your smaller stuff; the pens, pendants & pocket-tikis. Really crisp & and a definate uniqueness/style to them. This last one is a beauty.

Tama :)

P
Paipo posted on Sun, May 6, 2007 1:31 PM

Even though I've got one of your masterworks I can see I need more! The little pocket guys are always spot-on and I'd assume they were way larger if you didn't post the dimensions. How's the "secret project" coming along?

H
hewey posted on Sun, May 6, 2007 8:12 PM

These are great, really love your work :D

Tama - I love your stuff, too. I'm glad to see you're poking around my stuff.

Paipo - I have one done and will be working the other soon. I have to knock out a project that is started first. I haven't forgotten. I love giving my tikis a false sense of space - keeps you on your toes.

C

Very nice new stuff! The pen ,and the pocketikis! Aloha!

On 2007-02-26 08:32, AlohaStation wrote:
Here is a "Cannibal" that I started long ago and have just now finished. He is slightly over 12" tall and carved from a beautiful piece of mahogany. Unstained with acrylic color highlights - I'm sill experimenting with the color and the different woods let me know what you think. I used a spray lacquer on him for the first time and love the results.

Aloha! I paid a wee visit to my man Paipo yesterday & this crazy character caught my eye... I recognised it as your work of course. After seeing so many pieces via my computer screen it was really cool to finally see one 'in the flesh' & life sized. The amount of labour involved is so much more apparent when you're turning a piece around in your hands. Love the thongs & the jaunty pose of the legs. Great work!

Tama :)

B

More incredible stuff from Alohas. Man, you don't quit do you, Always have something brewing on the back burner to pop out and dazzle us with.
COOL!

The back burner is on HI and about to boil over. Update coming soon.

H

Superb work on the lit'luns AS. You make the x-acto knife do good things for you. Xtra sweeeeet!

B

I'm a bit late but the spray lacquer you used give a superb effect to your cannibal, congratulation and very good idea.

Benjamin

beautiful AT, the color is a real enhancement

Amy

Thanks for all of the comments. That cannibal was really fun to carve and was even better to pass on to another TCer

Here are the fruits of the past few weeks. Two more to come. These pens are carved from Black Walnut with matching bases (no stain). Love the color of this wood - its very deep and rich!! I intend to offer these in the Marketplace in the next day or so (I have to get some good detail shots first). PM me if you are interested. Thanks.

Lookin, spectacular as always, Tom.. Your chops are always sooo original. Hope these all go to good Homes.. I will be hollarin' at you soon for somemore tips. Lookin forward to seein' the last 2 Pens.. Keep kickin' em. fB

Thanks Freddie. Any knowledge I have to share is yours.

I have posted the pens in Marketplace. However the color in this photo is more accurate.
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=24340&forum=12&0

P
Paipo posted on Mon, Jun 4, 2007 3:26 PM

Tight work AS, full of character as I would expect. You have a nice economy of detail, seeming to know just how much is enough to nail the personality of each individual. I like how the second to last guy has another face tucked away on the reverse side (shown in the marketplace pic):

What Paipo said. Just great.

Mrs Hoptiki

B

These last guys really Look SWEET!
You are definitely the Pen Master!

Thanks for the comps. I really enjoy doing the small stuff. I have been trying figure out a better way to do the mechanical pencils but the mechanism just doesn't lend itself as well as the pens. I have 2 more pens in the works and should have them done by Hukilau. I will be sportin around the event most of the weekend so if you see me give me a shoutout - you never know what I'm carrying around!! I look forward to meeting alot of you this weekend.

Here's a quick update before I head over to Hukilau. Started this guy a while ago...

So here he is finished. I will be showing him around Hukilau.

Enjoy.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 1965 replies