Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

New stuff added!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 1,965 replies

B

Just one word: M A S T E R P I E C E.

C

So nice! He look like he were dancing! Excellent work!

B

This guy looks like he's dancing around and having SO much FUN, What a Great piece. Excellent and Very Well done! For a Future Benzart?

M

Bastard!

Loooks awesome!

Mahalo!

McTiki

Yo...A.S.. You gots my addy, Bro.. You can send this lil' bad mf'er with the other 2 pieces. :wink:

[ Edited by: FreddieBallsomic 2007-06-15 23:43 ]

Wow! Great work. I always enjoy seeing your carvings. :drink:

B

HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY

Here's some stuff that I had at the Hukilau. First a Letteropener carved in Cocobolo.

Next are 2 more pens that just neede to be finished.

Next are two pocket tikis that I was working on while working the Hukilau booth on Friday afternoon. Both carve in scrap pieces of Black Walnut about 3.5" tall. It was alot of fun meeting everyone and I can't wait till next year.

[ Edited by: AlohaStation 2007-06-21 11:50 ]

B

Top class work, dude.
Love the letter opener in a mixed aloha station/marquesan style.
Love the pocket tikis that are pretty cool too.

B

More Excellent stuff Aloha! Folks, you better get this stuff while it's still affordable 'cause I have a feeling that it Won't be affordable much longer.
The Dancing tiki I just picked up was laughing so hard he was Rolling around on the floor and couldn't get up and didn't even want to.

By now I was really worrying about this guy

I was Finally able to get him up off the floor and back on the shelf, WHEW!

Thanks Aloha.

M

Figures......Benzo haz him now....Pffft!

Lucky

Had to bite me toungue!

Mahalo

Nice stuff as alwayz Aloha!

McTiki

C

Oh! the dancing tiki is yours benzart?! Congrats, he is so beautifull! he is doing cat moves on the carpet? cut his nails before is to late for your furniture :D

More nice clean work from you! - LOVE the pose on that dancing fella, and the headdress detail at the back is very effective.

The barrel pen-holder is a humourous touch too. I like your originality.

Tama :)

F

Once again, such character in small pieces, excellent

Flynny

Sweet tiki carvings Alohastation1 I love your style and detail in your carvings very nic, Aloha, Mooney

Here's a sneak peek at my latest projects. I got Friday off so I decided to do something constructive - a pair of masks. They are almost done, just need a little work on the lines and finished - ugh! Hopefully I'll stay motivated and have these done this weekend. More coming soon.

Nice big masks. Like everything you carve, they look great. :drink:

M

Are those "palm" sweetness? Dayum Aloha!

M
mieko posted on Fri, Jun 29, 2007 2:36 PM

Wow! Hey, if you want to send them to me, I'll be happy to finish them for you. Some nice stain, I think they'd look really good with a shellac finish. :) Of course the final finishing touch would be hanging them on my wall, but I think it's a great idea. :)

Seriously though, I like the big stuff, still has your style in there - did you find a huge exacto knife? I just noticed the other "mask" kinda guy under your earlier pocket tiki post, I like him a lot!

Thanks again for the company at Hukilau, it was great hanging out!

B

Excellent masks only I'm not sure they are tall enough. Can't you make'um taller?
I'm Partial to the one on the left with the curluque stuff on the headdress, COOL!

M

Now I'm really jealous!

The masks are sabal palms. There are some surface cracks that will add some cool character to the masks. I needed something for my back patio and these will fit it perfect - approx 5'. The masks like blood! Two serious jabs from splinters have drawn the juice. The end of my day off, I sat down and completed this little guy (resurrected from my scraps). All he needs is to be finish sanded and sealed. I might make the curly q's deeper? The bird on his head was unintentional, but very welcome. He's kind of a mix of a whole buch of stuff in my head - Enjoy.

The masks r killah! I'm REALLY likin this last guy. He seems to me a mix of so many different tiki gods/forms.. Pretty damn unique... Great as always, Bro.!!

W

Tom,
Your masks look great. Blood thirsty?
No pain No gain so they say.
I like seeing you try something differant.

Here are the masks completed. Not thrilled with the way they turned out - but they look great on the patio! I didn't spend a whole lot of time on these carving or finishing. As the log dried out they started twisting. It will be interesting to see how they weather. C & C's always welcome.

C

Don't be too tough on yourself...I think they're cool. You do such a high level of carving
that I am sure you feel you have to push yourself to doing better and better and better.
Often it's just fun to wack something out in a hurry and get the rush of quick results.
Am I right?
I like 'em.
I gotta go watch Prince Fielder in the home run derby.

Hey bro, I'm new here but you're wrong about them, they look really great! I know at a certain level you get a bit critical on your own work, but I'll be happy with my good work when it looks like your bad work! You're all master carvers in my book!

The Birdman

Thanks for comments. I don't HATE these guys. They just aren't some of my favorites - the warping has a big deal to do with that. It was nice to knock them out quickly. No overthinking, ultra-focusing, or sweating the small stuff - chop sand and finish!! You are right about getting back to the basics - however I feel there is still a fews steps up before I can accept any titles (other than Weekend Warrior). Its been hard to find time to carve lately - Hot as blazes and any shade is swarmed by mosquitos - so I sit in my garage at night with the door closed (average temp is 90+). How long till winter?? More to come...

Wow, I don't check this thread nearly enough. I really like the last guys, especially the spirals on top. They look familiar, no? :wink: Looks like we both draw influence from a similar source. Your pieces always have sort of a light-hearted happy quality about them. It's very nice to see! :D

M
mieko posted on Tue, Jul 10, 2007 4:16 PM

The warping is hard to see in the pictures, they both look really good. If you want some better weather to carve in, come on out to San Diego. :) 70-75 degrees here all week. :)

B

Ditto all above. I would not have known about the warping, maybe it's just you who is warped :) (sorry about that!) I think they are Great. You Know there are pieces of wood where heavy detail is useless to do. These are perfect patio tikis.

Thanks. If you look at the picture the top of the heads are flat against the wall. Then look at the chins - they are turned almost 45 degrees.

Fink - inspiration comes from everywhere. Some places are just better than others. I have done the curly q's to a few of my newer tikis, so you will be seeing more.

[ Edited by: AlohaStation 2007-07-10 17:43 ]

J

They look great--warped or no--I can's see any. I would rather carve in a 90F+ degree garage than have to deal with 10F in the garage in winter. A little sweat beats the heck out of frozen numb fingers and toes.

I agree with Finkdaddy, you do have a happy style that is always pleasant to look at.

I think the masks look great, Tom.. I think they R gonna look killer where U said you were puttin' 'em. I think twisting and cracks just add to the character of the piece.. U gots any new pics of the birdbust?? Maholla~ fB

Here is the finished "Birdman" - no relation. I need some better photos, because the camera was automatically focusing on the background. Once I figured it out I lost the light. Oh well. He is carved in Black Walnut and about 7" tall. More to come.

[ Edited by: AlohaStation 2007-07-24 18:17 ]

Lookin´good!

B

Very beautiful. I love the spirals.
Did you finish with the Moai ?

Benjamin.

M

Insane stuff Aloha! Keep em coming. (Please!)

Mahalo

McTiki

Thanks.

Babalu - I carry these little guys in my pockets and seemed to have lost track of him. I probably just need to do some laundry! He's around somewhere - I'll look for him this weekend.

The birdman looks great, Tom... If you can, put him with frogger and hopefully I can come gettim in person in about 3 months... U da man. fB

Here's whats next in the que. Another piece of Mahaogany - just getting started. i have about 4 hours into it. Enjoy.

B

AS, I Really love your "Birdman" his headdress is really complicated looking and Way cool. That black walnut is beautiful too!
Your new guy looks very interesting, is that a knot on his chest, or did you already carve him a pendant?

Wow that was fast. That's not really anything just an awkward spot where the branch split. That Birdman started off as practice for the curly q's and i was surprised when my kids pointed out that there was a bird!?

B

WOW, very cool, AS.

What happens to this guy ?

https://tikicentral.com/uploads/2510/467ac6af.jpg

Benjamin.

benella - Sorry I haven't responded sooner. I thought I had lost hime for a little while. This weekend we did some house cleaning and he has been found. Apparently our playful kitten had found him and used him as a toy. I found him under our china cabinet with 3 other cat toys that had been "lost". I'll finish him up and post pictures soon.

B

On 2007-08-06 11:32, AlohaStation wrote:
I'll finish him up and post pictures soon.

:) :) :)

I haven't done much /nothing to the bust, but I have been busy with quite a few of my pocket tikis. First up is are a few pendants. The Moai is old but not forgotten. The other two are carved from some scrap pieces of wood.

Next is another scrap that I whittled on. I think this is probably my first "Ku". I really like this guy. He's about 3" tall and will be translated into a larger piece later.

I completed my Swap piece a while ago but can't get any decent pics of it (blurry, overexposed...). I think I just need to plan my photo shoots before Happy Hour! :)

[ Edited by: AlohaStation 2007-08-15 20:08 ]

B

Your pendants look very cool, especially the moai which I was waiting for a long time :wink:
Your Ku is a very complete carving: all the details are pretty neat and just wonderful.
Great work.

Benjamin.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 1965 replies