Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

New stuff added!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 1,965 replies

B

You should be a proud papa: this cannibal is amazing.
Bravo,

S

AlohaStaion your cannibal kicks ass! nice work.
Send the plain ticket and ill be there.

AlohaStaion, Another killer cannibal! Hope the show is successful. He looks like hes ready to crack some skulls.

Thanks everyone. I'm really happy with the Cannibal. Here's another quickie.

B

Simply beautiful. Very good idea.

Man, you're on to something! The ideas seem endless!

S

Very nice twist.

Thanks for the props. Its not the ideas that I worry about ending its the damn voices that are driving me crazy - just kidding. Here are some more. The first one is a commission for friend - I'll let you figure out what it is. The second is another pendant - it will get stain and a dull finish. This weekend was very hectic. i have also started another large tiki - pictures to come.

B

Thanks for those pix. Super work as always.

P
Paipo posted on Tue, Oct 30, 2007 3:50 PM

These are just getting better and better and you've really nailed down your own distinctive style. It's great to see someone on a roll and turning out great pieces one after the other. I love the Cthulhoid feel of the Octohead.

Thanks guys. I really enjoy carving these smaller pieces and the walnut is fantastic for carving. The small mask I just posted was a victim of my impatience - and improper preparation. I should be able to fix it and will post pics then.

G
GMAN posted on Wed, Oct 31, 2007 9:43 AM

Very neat stuff A.S. I always love browsing your thread as there is always something new and beautiful to look at. Thanks for the pics. These little guys are fab!

-G

Here are the latest and greatest. Sorry these are already spoken for. Enjoy.

Finished mask in Walnut - approx 3" tall

Requested Cannibal in Walnut - approx 4" tall

B

I saw these in Person the other day and the pictures don't do them justice at All. Excellent stuff and More on the way.
Thanks for the visit the other day, I enjoyed it.

T

Man, you're continuing to do super nice work. All very inspiring!

Ben, it was my pleasure - just spreading the vibe.

BigT - if you like the small stuff check this out...

I had this when i visited with Benz. I've been hording a beautiful piece of Mahogany for just this kind of piece. I split the log in half - very similar to the dowels I have been carving. This one is a bit larger. Its looking really nice, but my wife thinks it looks like Heatmeiser. I still need to finish the legs, feet and arms - but I'm 80% finished. Enjoy.

C

Very cool and original looking piece A-S. Got my attention immediately. Nice size
too...looks like about 2 1/2 feets?

S

AlohaStation, you have a grade A+ piece there very NICE!
Original, clean and nice touch on the head he is looking HOT!

B

Amazing !
:) :) :)

TZ

Hmmmmm . . . .

T

He does resemble the Heatmeiser!! Haha! :D

It's really cool tho! It sounds like your wife is a bit of a smart donkey... :lol:

M

friggin showoff!

jk!

Mahalo

P
Paipo posted on Wed, Nov 7, 2007 10:46 AM

On 2007-11-04 11:18, AlohaStation wrote:
Here are the latest and greatest. Sorry these are already spoken for. Enjoy.

Finished mask in Walnut - approx 3" tall

Requested Cannibal in Walnut - approx 4" tall

:) Love 'em. Great skull on the Cannibal! Get in touch with me soon?

Heeeeee's mr. tikimeiser
he's mr. sun.
he's mr. tikimeiser
he's mr. 101.
whatever he touch
melts in his clutch
he's too much
:lol:
cool.

You guys are killin me! Should I change it? I don't know...

S

Hell NO! dont change it!

TZ

If we can have Elviki, we can surely have Heatiki.

I think it's a beautiful piece, just like it is!
Lots of attitude on 'em, excellent job.

J

I think you need to send Heat Miser up here to warm things up a bit, snow is falling. I'll send him back in the spring. Your carvings always look great.

B

I KNEW that Fire Top Tiki would heat everything up. it is such a Sweet piece of Mahogany too and you are certainly doing it Justice.

OOPS!! OK - lesson learned - Dammit! Always drill a pilot hole!

There's alot of good stuff on TC this week and I get to post this. I couldn'tt have split it any more perfect - right down the middle. This has not been a good week, because my Weecher also crapped out on me (Benz - you called it). The Heat-iki will have to wait to be finished. He has been sanded and is just waiting for me to finish. Maybe this weekend.

K

Looks to me that there's now 2 pendants rather than just 1! Make good on it!

Diggin' all the work, by the way!!!!

J

fixed.

B

Hey, I"M THERE to righten up your Day :lol: ??? Not! Actually the bottom left split got a little uneven and it ended up not straight at all so when you do the next one, be a little more deliberate and GET IT EVEN!
Sorry about that I Know you didn't need it but KAHAKA's Right,,Now you have 2 tikis instead of one! See the bright side there and you can sell them as a On and Only Pair,,a Perfect Match for each other, How many people have a set of pendants Like that?? Huh? Run with it, use it, Sell them.

Must be a tiki vibe flowing thru the internet. Was just thinkin that they would look good as a pair. Preperations are all ready in the works! The crack is not as even as I would have liked, but its definately fixable.

ST

Sand down the broken sides and sell them as a matched set of ear rings.

B

Pair will be coooooooool !

Benjamin.

Here's the tiki that I did for the Skull show at Bird & Bear. This is a piece of white pine that really surprised me. I had never carved that type of wood before. Found it soft, but a bit chippy when doing detail. The grain came out BEAUTIFUL! The picture has a bit of a glare to it - its not really that glossy. Thanks for looking.

[ Edited by: AlohaStation 2007-11-25 13:52 ]

Wow! Great stuff as always. I really like how you finished him. :drink:

J

Always fantastic! You are right about the pine, chippy as heck, and when you get close to a knot, the grain goes crazy and pieces always fall out. You kicked this one though.

That is a beautiful piece. And yeah, those stains and sealer look perfect to the T.

[ Edited by: surfintiki 2007-11-25 17:09 ]

B

Very great stuff, AS.
I know I'm a bit curious but how many different stains did you put on this masterpiece ?
And did you use varnish or poly ?
The grain is simply beautiful.

Thanks,

Benjamin.

G
GROG posted on Mon, Nov 26, 2007 12:17 AM

Good stuff. GROG like.

S

WoW! that sucker turned out great The wood and colors look
fantastic. Nice !!

Awesome and terrifying!
he gleams with menace!

Thanks everyone. I really like him but my 2 little girlss have a different opinion of him - They are terrified of him.

JP - The nose of the victim was a result of the cwood chipping. It would break , then I'd fix it, break somewhere else, fix, broke again and I had enough. So I had some struggles with the wood.

Ben - There are 2 different stains. White is nautural, Mahogany, and a blend of about 5 almost empty cans. I didn't like it at first because I wanted a smooth color - what the hell was I thinking?!? The bands of color are fantastic.

I was pretty busy carving over the long weekend. More coming soon..

Love that new carving Aloha.
Great attention to detail.

H

Hi AlohaStation, I always seeing great stuff at your thread. Especially, I like the tiki which was broken in the middle. It´s a realy well done desgin. Great ideas!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 1965 replies