Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

New stuff added!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 1,965 replies

Here's the latest mask I've been chipping on. Its a representation of an earlier pendant done n a much larger format. This is the other half of my "Heat Miser" - he's ready to be finished. I plan on finishing both at the same time (hehe I said "plan"). Placing "Aloha" on the crown was a suggestion of the future owner and I really like it. let me know...

M
mieko posted on Sat, Dec 1, 2007 7:03 PM

LOVE IT! The ALOHA looks really good, great lettering. I can't believe how busy you've been, you've been carving more than I've been able to read!

What did you do with the broken pendant? I think selling it as a split pair would be sweet - kinda like those "best friend" hearts that I used to wear as a kid.

C

Cool posts as usual Aloha, I especially dig the last mask. All of your stuff
has "the attitude" but this last one really seems to have a swagger going on.
Nice work.

TD

GREAT! just great! damn you make those look good!

B

Simply great.
Can't wait to see him stained.

Ben.

B

This guy is Really going to be Killer Aloha, I Love the Headdress, and the eyes and the Mouth, hell, even the nose, I guess i Really Love the Whole thing!

S

Nice Work AlohaStaiton. The ALOHA looks like it was made to
go right there I like.

Aloha that mask has GREAT style and flow my friend,your one talented person,keep em comin!,Aloha , your friend , Mooney

M
McTiki posted on Mon, Dec 3, 2007 3:17 PM

Killer werks Aloha!

Diggin the tapa designs down the nose!

What can I say to this, Homes? I think everytime you post a piece up on here....People get vaclempt.:o I will be shootin' U a pm, 4 my own X-mas gifts(Marq pen,Ku) :wink:

[ Edited by: FreddieBallsomic 2007-12-03 18:36 ]

Thanks everyone. He came out really nice. Now I have to switch into finishing mode for two pieces. I will probabaly have an update this weekend.

Mieko - The split face has lost favor and been placed on my waiting list. My intent is to finish him soon - I'm just in a large carving mode at the moment. Wait till you see what I have planned next!

T

It is always a pleasure to see some new pics from AlohaStation: Great work and great postings. I must have read through this all nearly ten time. Just cool, clean carvings with a touch of humor.
Great.

tok-tok

If you like to, visit me here.
myspace

[ Edited by: tok-tok 2007-12-06 06:55 ]

Damn Fire! They look much better now.

J

The Heat Miser gets the Aloha flame of Pele treatment. It really brings out the detail and shows off your talent.

Here are a few of my whittlings. I am offering these in the Marketplace.

Here are a few of my whittlings. I am offering these in the Marketplace.

Resurected from the fire. Here are more progress pics of the boys.. The wood doesn't show much grain so I added the burnt highlights to give the some depth. Enjoy

I have been as busy as it seems . I've just been hording the pictures.

T

Neato - they look great. Nice job on the lettering, it's really clean looking. Are the white parts natural or a white stain?

S

Nice ! AlohaStaition Man they look Great! Nice Pro touch
on the burn, stain job.

Heat Mister lost his flaming hair look it just looks like
hair to me. I had no problem with the flaming hair look
buy the way.

Your a regular pro dude.

BigT - the white is natural. Once a clear (not sure what yet) is applied it will turn a a more natural wood color.

Seek - I haven't decided what I'm going to do for the hair. I think it will involve multiple colors. I'm no pro - just a guy stumbling my way thru. The carving part is easy - all the different finishing techniques are what I stumble over. Stains, wax, poly... we should start a thread that tackles this!!

I haven't decided whether to put stain on the face of the mask. That decision make come to flipping a coin.

These 2 pieces are spectacular, Tom.. Were both of these done mostly with chisels?? I think the multi colored hair would really give this guy the AS attitude. Beautys as alway. fB

S

I hear you about the stain, top coat process! I'm into 15 hr
or more of removing stain right now and I'm not done yet.

You seem to going about it smarter than i.

A.S. these guys are really something. Love how animated your tikis have become. Full of personality.
Love the color treatments too... you've really got that down.

Here's a sneak peek. More pictures soon - today was very hectic. These will be placed at an outdoor bar so it was spar urethane that finished these off. I liked them with the natural feel and would have been happier using an oil. I am not complaining these guys look great!!

B

Nice Tiki's. I like your finishing style. Fellow South Florida carver. BUFFBAD

B

Yeah, These ARE Pretty good tikis Aloha, HA, they are Friggin Great What am I Talkin about. We need to get a Treasure coast carving party happening after the new year, MY House lets make it happen.
Bring your Good carving skills and leave those other ones at home. :lol: :lol: :lol:

H
hewey posted on Sat, Dec 15, 2007 7:49 PM

Loving the way the flamed guy is looking :D Keep up the good work

S

NICE! the wood grain and color came out beautifully.

I really like. Just crazy.

Thanks for all the props. These two came out really nice. Of course I feel like there's always something to do to them. I finished them with Poly, because they will probably be displayed outside. Not real happy with it but everyone that has seen them don't have anything bad to say. Here they are: Carved from 2 halves of a Mahogany log. Each weighs about 5-10 lbs. - I left them solid because they feel so solid and the grain on the back is prettier than the front. Lesson(s) learned - more to come!

S

Ya, Nice work them bad boys are DONE.

On 2007-12-11 10:48, AlohaStation wrote:
BigT - the white is natural. Once a clear (not sure what yet) is applied it will turn a a more natural wood color.

Seek - I haven't decided what I'm going to do for the hair. I think it will involve multiple colors. I'm no pro - just a guy stumbling my way thru. The carving part is easy - all the different finishing techniques are what I stumble over. Stains, wax, poly... we should start a thread that tackles this!!

I haven't decided whether to put stain on the face of the mask. That decision make come to flipping a coin.

Hi there. Cool stuff you got there! I agree with you when you say that it would be good to have an own thread for finishes. I´m planning to start on the finish on my own soon, and I am looking for inspiration at the moment. Check for my stuff by searching on Norwegian Woody if you´re interested.
With a wave of respect – El Stingray.

B

Aloha, those finished up Great with the Poly. It works when you don't glob it on. I see you are putting thin coats on. Better slow down or that pile of Mahogany will be Gone before you know it. :lol:
I'm Really Loving your Style!

B

Hey Master, where you hiding ? just missing your work !

Mahalo,

Benjamin.

T

Benella, I hadn't seen the finished pieces yet. They came out great. You're right the natural unstained parts came out with a nice aged natural wood look. The poly finish looks really good.

Thanks for comps. I'm still around and currently making wood chips. Need to get motivated and post some pictures - nothing is finished. Keep watchin!

The stain jobs on these masks was a learning experience. I used Polyurethane because one of the masks was to be displayed outside. I would have preferred something less shiny. The mask will be revisited sometime in the near future.

B

Very nice Aloha! Your tikis have their own unique individual personality's...they seem come to life with expression...it's almost like you can tell what they are thinking at times. Cool....

Babalu - thanks. Most/all of my tikis are free-handed and are often carved on the fly. That gives them alot of the expression your talkin about. "Measuring" is a relative term. The finished piece may look symmetrical but in reality they aren't. After all aren't we all a "crooked". Here's a great example - my contribution to the flood of work thats being posted lately.

Carved in Mahogany.

I also have a couple of whittling projects that I'll post soon.

Aloha your lono and the In-fa-way-go tiki(heatmiser)are Sweet my friend, and then you bust out the Bird man who is gonna be even better,really Kool style my friend,mahalo for sharin,Aloha, Mooney

WOW! BEAUTIFUL WORK ALOHA!! VERY NICE, CLEAN AND I LIKE THE FINISH TOO!!
I'M INPRESSED

WOW! BEAUTIFUL WORK ALOHA!! VERY NICE, CLEAN AND I LIKE THE FINISH TOO!!
I'M IMPRESSED. HOW DID YOU MAKE THE TEETH LIGHTER?
BE WELL,
RAY

As promised here are 2 little buddies that I carved during the Holidays. Still need some work - they will be mounted to hang on the wall. Figures are approx 6" tall, carved from a Walnut dowel.

Very nice Tikis A-S. Are you a dentist in real life? All of your carvings
have great teeth. The bird figure is cool and like stated earlier, tons of
personality.

S

Outstanding work and only 6" the detail level is
crazy for 6" NICE!

I'm really liking the Mahogany one also The little bird
on top great stuff A-S.

Moondance. The variation in color comes from staining and natural colors.

Conga - Other people have asked me that same question. The teeth are a result of the K.I.S... technique (keep-it-simple). Simple lines, off angles, and variable depths.

Seek - Thanks for the comps, however, I haven't even started to do the detail yet. Its almost done, but will have more detailing to come. The Walnut is a great wood for carving and it holds detail excellent.

I did some sanding this weekend but not much to show.

[ Edited by: AlohaStation 2008-01-21 17:10 ]

Spent last weekend finishing up some small stuff. These are all out of my box of wooden dowels, each one is about 6" tall. The walnut carves great and I really enjoy working with it. Here are three pieces that are done. I have plans for the half rounds. More to come...

G
GROG posted on Wed, Jan 30, 2008 8:34 PM

You are on fire, dude!

S

A-S I'm loving those guys i cant decide which is my
favorite maybe the bottom one. I love seeing your carves.
NICE WORK!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 1965 replies