Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

New stuff added!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 1,965 replies

Tom man, i've been busy as hell building out Electric Tiki- i got on here to shoot you a pm about consigning some pendants and such, but lost my way checking this big guy out!! kick ass man!!!! -!I! would deliver it for free if i could afford his big ass right now! beautiful work, man.
maybe that waffle head type is still kicking around? wish i had the $$ to send you to oasis- if he's still lurking in a couple months, he's mine! that's a dare to anyone out there!
so i've finally got a night to myself to drink and check up on my ohana. hope you're meeting your mark, best wishes for oasis.

On 2008-07-20 17:18, AlohaStation wrote:
Tres - I did go with the 2-tone color and hope you like it.

Oh you bet, it looks really fantastic!! I love the subtle color variation, very nice! It's a shame it couldn't make the trip to Texas, but I'm glad to hear you found it a local home where you can keep an eye on it :) Hope you have a great trip!

Aloha Tom Hell yeah bro , im glad to be able to give em a home and keep him with da local fam...holler at me when ur coming thru...eazy ..kreepy J.

Aloha Tom!!! WoW my friend that Big carving looks Aweasome!!!!You sure have an incredable Talent running through those hands, Aloha for now your friend , Mooney

S

This sucker is so outstanding. Great Job all around.
LOVE iT!

S

Wow the color really makes that bad boy pop.

B

Just so you were Sure which one I was talking about, THIS tiki is Incredibly Awesome. Your skills have gone through the roof as Every piece you do is Way better than the last. One advantage you have with your Big stuff is that you have totally Excelled at the Small stuff from the pens to the table top size to the Giants and when you do a Large piece afterdoing great tiny detail, you see the big detail very differently. Now even the smallest nook and cranney are important and they are finished and it shows. Best of Luck at Oasis, Looks like you'll be staying on Mieko's couch, Hope it's Comfortable.
Keep up the good work man you are doing SO Great.

Thanks for all the compliments. This guy was alot of fun to do, but I need to get back to the Trio. He is almost done and will be getting the last coat of clear tonight. I have not stood him up yet and can not wait to see him in an appropriate setting. The palm was so soft that I was worried that moving him too much might chip him. Now that the Urethane is on him he is solid and durable.

Benz - I agree that the small stuff has helped. But I do not agree with the "every little detail" comment. Only because the wood was so soft and difficult to get any detail. There are alot of areas that I consider "artististic fingerprint". Places that I went over quickly or just didn't want to fix - they add to the character.

After I complete the Trio I may go back and get an even bigger tree to carve. This weekend Wplugger and I went and pulled a 20' - yes, 20 feet with the rootball!! Wplugger has started carving it and it is totally different than the other logs we have gotten. Will - we are all waiting for you to start your OWN thread!

Outstanding tiki!!! You work is exceptional, as always, and your diversity in size of medium gives use all something to strive for. Thanks for all your time given for the post and photo's. I can't wait to see the next tiki.

Wow! 11' of awesome-ness!
Stick that thing on your car's roof and haul it out here, boy!

Actually, you can ship it via Plycon for a fair price. They'll come get it, blanket wrap it, and deliver it to your door. They ship large antiques and furniture all the time, so this should be no problem for them. Google 'em!

So who bought him, anyhow? Do they realize how lucky they are? I hope so! I LOVE my "Keeper Of The Snail", and this is like a great big super-sized Daddy-version! Great!

H
hewey posted on Wed, Jul 23, 2008 4:21 AM

This is an absolutely awesome piece! Well done :D

Really nice AlohaS....great move from your small work to BIG STUFF.

Lee - Thanks for the info. Fortunately he will staying local and available for public viewing. More info coming soon.

Here's a bit of good news/bad news. Good news is that there may be plenty of palm logs around. Bad news is that there will be a lot of dead trees around.
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/florida/sfl-723sabal,0,6303111.story

[ Edited by: AlohaStation 2008-07-23 07:28 ]

I stood him up for the first time tonight. Here he is all finished. Still needs another coat, but other than that he's ready to go. 10.5' with 8' of tiki. I didn't realize just how tall he is! Enjoy

holy frikkin' hell man ..lol now i see what ya meant!..haha that guy is awesome he is definately an outdoor guy ..he will fit right in er.. should i say out with our madness here. haha cant wait to see em in person..shoot at least you will be able to see him everyday as you drive by!

That is a beautiful piece of work you have there. That last pic is great showing how big it truly is.
Hope you got what you wanted for it, because it came out super nice and clean.

killer alohastation!

man, that is beautiful, very very cool!

Magnificent! :o

S

Sick, sick, sick this guy is a keeper for sure!

B

Well done Alohas, He Definitely looks Different standing up, it really shows the detail. Excellent one for sure.

Tom, really nice work with this guy!

Some great stuff going on with him, a killer headress and I love how his hands were done... the way they interlock.

A very impressive piece!

Wow! super nice w/ enough post to bury. That's using the old noodle!

A
AKUAE posted on Fri, Jul 25, 2008 1:20 AM

great BIG rockin Tiki - your work rocks
greets
Akuae

Thanks for all the props. I am happy to say that he will be going inside Kreepytiki's shop in FTL. His shop is awesome! If you are in the area and want to see alot of great artwork (not just tatoos), Jaksins shop is a must see! There is no where else in South Florida (not even the Mai Kai) that has more modern, Poly Pop art than Kreepytiki!! You can go right across the hall (full liquor bar), get a drink and shop. Check it out - you won't be disappointed.

Since the tiki is sold I am happy to announce that I will be at Oasis!! Its gonna be a quick trip, in Friday - out Sunday, but I hope to make the most out of it. Tikis and tropical drinks will be the order of the day, but if anyone wants to take me surfing for a few hours Fri or Sat I would be a VERY HAPPY haole!!

J

Very nice, somebody is very lucky to have that tiki, congrats on getting to go to Oasis, have fun.

You did such a great job on the big tiki, you should do more of them.

Glamour shots. He's going inside so I had to cut off the extra pole. Final height is 8'4".

A beaut.

J

On 2008-07-27 07:37, AlohaStation wrote:

..... so I had to cut off the extra pole.

Ouch.

H

Excellent finish--he'll represent the KTL&T shop well!

That piece turned out spectacular, Tom..

S

Killer work!!

8+ feet?? wow! Its amazing how your style translates so well across a vast scale difference - if youre ever accosted by a 50-60' giant youve got a perfect pendant to appease him with! Nice finish/stain.

I haven't posted anything in a bit since finishing the big guy. I have been busy trying to channel my anticipation for the trip to the Left Coast. Here are some of my "pocket" tikis that I will be sporting in San Diego. I look forward to meeting a buch of the California crew. So if your there keep your eyes peeled. East Coast representin'
Enjoy.

B

Nice ones Aloha, I Know it is strange to be cutting a 10 footer one day and a 4 incher the next nice transition.
You outta wood yet?

Big, small, it doesn't matter does it? They all turn out great.

When are you getting started on the park? Looking forward to seeing what you are going to do out there.

Thanks. I'm still trying to recover from Oasis - so there's nothing new. I caught a cold on the return flight, typical. Doing the extreme size change isn't that hard for me. They feel like two totally different things - the small stuff with knives and big stuff with power tools and chisels. I will be trying some other stuff soon too, so keep your eyes peeled.

On a side note and not tiki, check out this guys carved guitars... VERY COOL!
http://vankuilenburg.deviantart.com/

B

Hey Tom, I Hope you had a great trip to Oasis, can't wait to hear all about it and see photos. Too bad about the cold and the return flight is always the worse anyway.
Be well

S
sar1 posted on Fri, Aug 22, 2008 9:45 PM

On 2008-08-22 06:45, AlohaStation wrote:
Thanks. I'm still trying to recover from Oasis - so there's nothing new. I caught a cold on the return flight, typical. Doing the extreme size change isn't that hard for me. They feel like two totally different things - the small stuff with knives and big stuff with power tools and chisels. I will be trying some other stuff soon too, so keep your eyes peeled.

On a side note and not tiki, check out this guys carved guitars... VERY COOL!
http://vankuilenburg.deviantart.com/

The guitars are really great but Deviantart has a lot of problems. It is nearly impossible to move from place to place on that site until you realize that you have to click on the place you want to go to and then refresh the page just to get there. I did notice that you are a member there as I was going through the woodworking category which, was a feat in itself. I also noticed that there are a lot of kids there as the forums seemed to be full of non-sense. Hey but I know there are a lot of artists that are somewhat on the eccentric side, I grew up with some very close friends that are exquisite artists and all were just a tad on the odd side. If I were 20 years younger I might take a shot at guitar carving.

Not much to update - just a few small pendants that were started at Oasis. Keeping busy and slowly working on the Trio. I'm ready to finish these up and move on to the next project.

B
Babalu posted on Wed, Sep 3, 2008 4:08 PM

I landed my personal favorite at Oasis!...the one lower left in this grouping

Yes!...happy, happy! Aloha ROCKS!

BT

Awesome work man, I just scanned a few pages back but I'm gonna keep looking.

B

LOVE the New ones Tom, You njust keep Going and Going and Going! We need to get together.

Busy busy! Keep 'em coming!!

S

Very nice, Man they have your touch all over them Alohastation!

Here something that I haven't done in a while. This was a commission that I cranked out just a bit faster than I would have liked. I think I will do a few more pens in the near future - starting to figure out the techniques to get them REALLY nice.

[ Edited by: AlohaStation 2008-09-05 18:40 ]

W

One of your best ever, my friend.
Plugger

G

That is arrresome! Like it, like it! Want one!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 1965 replies