Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Navy Grog recipes

Pages: 1 2 59 replies

Here's the Navy Grog recipe that was printed on the custom NG glasses at Longitude:

1 oz. Angostura 7 Year Old Rum
1 oz. Trader Vic's Dark Rum
1 oz. El Dorado 5 Year Old Rum
1.5 oz. Grapefruit Juice
0.75 oz. Lime Juice
0.5 oz. Cinnamon Vanilla Syrup
0.5 oz. John D. Taylor's Velvet Falernum
Splash Soda Water

M

The Trader Vic's version of the Navy Grog has been my mission for a very long time.

I was there last weekend and picking brains about the grog syrup. When they have run out in the past, they have had to brew up their own mixture. They ran me through the method and the ingredients included, Cinnamon, Whole Cloves and Nutmeg. What, no Allspice I ask. Nope.

Puts a ton of cinnamon powder, 10-12 whole cloves and 2tbsp of nutmeg in about 1/2 gallon of hot water, stirs it up and lets it sit for hours. Stirs it again, and lets it sit for hours. Then take a bottle of rock candy syrup that is 1/3 empty, skims water off the top of the "tea" and fills the syrup bottle with it. Shake it up, there you go.

I think you are very close with the cinnamon syrup, vanilla syrup, falernum blend. It's flavor profile is very similar to Trader Vic's.

Thanks Hamo - your idea of using a plastic champagne flute was the final piece of the puzzle in my long term struggle with The Ice Cone Problem!

Instead of using shaved ice I've been looking for an easy way to make a solid ice cone. A plastic flute and pipette did the trick. If anyone is interested in the details I've posted instructions on my blog: http://www.proofcocktails.nl/tools/navy-grog-ice-cone/

I drink to your health Hamo!

Me too, me too! Hamo's post helped a ton when I went back and re-tried making ice cones.

I've not been making Navy Grogs at home cuz I have a huge list of other "project" cocktails I'm working through. I have, however, tried to make ice cones in preparation for Navy Grogs and other cocktails. I was not successful. My problem was that I was using my ice crusher instead of my blender, so the ice was never fine enough and the cones would break apart. But the blender-crushed ice is more like snow and easy to pack tightly into the plastic flute.

So I ran out and bought a couple of plastic champagne flutes at Dollar Tree for - $1. They work perfectly with fine blender ice and a straw inserted through the middle. The finished cone pops out quite easily, it has really good integrity and hardness, and is immediately bagged in a cheap sandwich baggie and stored in my freezer until needed later. Now I have six ice cones ready to go. I hope this additional info helps someone.

Also, in case this helps someone, Dollar Tree also sells large plastic "ice cream cones" normally intended for serving ice cream. They're about 8" or 9" tall. I bought several and failed with my rough ice, but I'm sure these would also work well with the fine ice to make larger "jumbo" ice cones. I'll try to post pics later when I try this. I'm thinking that jumbo cones of ice are good for when you need to put an ice feature into the middle of a bowl drink with a spent lime shell to make a flaming ice volcano. Hell, you could use a hubcap as a volcano bowl, ha!

I'll post a pic of the small champagne flute cone, plus the larger ice cream cone.

This stuff is really nerdy fun...

Indeed. I spent ages trying to make it work with crushed ice. Still, no complaints, I have my nerdy solution now - no more crumbling cones! The new problem is that the liquid part isn't lasting long enough...

What I have found works when I have to use crushed ice that isn't very fine for my ice cones is I pack it in as tight as possible, which takes a bit of effort, then put in the freezer. After about 30m or so, I take it out and warm the mold in my hands - this causes the outer layer to melt ever so slightly. Then it goes right back in until ready. Not only do you get a really solid ice cone, but you also get a really cool mosaic look from the crushed ice. I've often wondered if putting a colour-changing submersible tea light at the bottom of a glass and then an ice cone on top would actually look as cool as I think it might...

Swizzler, I understand the liquid not lasting long enough, you'll need to enlist a few friends to help you resolve that problem. :) Fun times in Amsterdam, right?

HopeChest - tealights - great idea! A couple years ago I had guests over one evening, and without them knowing, dropped remote-controlled color-changing submersible lights under the ice of their Mai Tais. Then I waved my hand over all four drinks on the table while secretly pushing the "on" button on the remote control. All four drinks instantly lit up and started changing colors. It was a great effect, one which I should photograph and post here for others so they know what to buy.

H
Hamo posted on Mon, Feb 18, 2019 10:22 PM

Hey Ace and Swizzler, sorry that I'm just now seeing this but glad my post about ice cones was helpful to you both.

Another great Dollar Tree purchase was the two plastic scoops in different sizes for $1. They're surprisingly hefty and perfect for moving crushed ice from the Lewis bag to the intended vessel; the larger one is an all-purpose scoop, while the smaller one is ideal for Collins/Zombie glasses.

[ Edited by: Hamo 2019-02-18 22:37 ]

H
Hamo posted on Mon, Feb 18, 2019 10:33 PM

I collect a lot of cocktail recipes, and note the source for literally every one, EXCEPT for the Trader Vic Navy Grog recipe I've been using:

1 oz dark Jamaican rum
1 oz light Puerto Rican rum
1 oz Demerara rum
1/2 oz falernum
1/2 oz rock candy syrup
1/2 oz pimento dram
1/2 oz cinnamon syrup
1-1/2 oz grapefruit juice
3/4 oz lime juice

Shake with ice and strain into a Mai Tai glass over crushed ice. Garnish with a sugarcane stick, spent lime half, and mint sprig.

I cannot for the life of me figure out where I found this recipe. It's close to the recipe that HopeChest posted here, and I much prefer it to the one arriano posted from the Bum's old website.

Anybody use this version, or have any leads as to where I might have originally found it?

Made a Navy Grog last night...and boom just saw this thread today. Here's a pic, man was it tasty! -Bloody

Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/Bloodystikibar

Instagram
http://www.instagram.com/bloodystikibar/

A

NAVY GROG FIZZ

1 oz Light Rum
1 oz Navy Rum
1 oz Demerara Rum
¾ oz Fresh Lime Juice
½ oz Allspice Dram
2 dashes Grapefruit Bitters
2 oz Grapefruit Soda

Mix everything except soda in a blender with crushed ice at high speed for five seconds. Pour into glass or tiki mug and stir in soda. Garnish with a spent lime wedge and mint sprig.

On 2019-02-19 13:24, arriano wrote:

2 dashes Grapefruit Bitters
2 oz Grapefruit Soda

Now THAT is interesting. 2 oz. of grapefruit soda (Ting!) should give it a nice effervescence. I've got to try this.

Pages: 1 2 59 replies