Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

looking for vacation spot-Tiki Events

Pages: 1 15 replies

D
Dawn32 posted on Wed, Feb 2, 2005 6:02 AM

Help! I'm looking to take a vacation, unfortunately I won't be able to until the summer. I'm looking to tie it into a tiki event if possible. I'm on a budget so nothing to extravagent. It would be cool to also go to something with Shag as I've never been to one of his shows. Any advise or suggestions?

M

There are a few events mentioned (some need dates finalized) in the Tiki Events calendar
https://tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=12675&forum=4&vpost=134631

That would be a good place to start. My recommendations; NW TIki Crawl, Tiki TOrch Nights in Atlanta (great event and VIc's is fantastic there-date not yet set), Int'l Tiki day (Southern calif-no city yet, or Northern Calif--maybe in Modesto). Exotica would be great, too--but it is approaching without a date and that is not a good sign for a big event like that.

D
Dawn32 posted on Wed, Feb 2, 2005 7:30 PM

I was thinking of going to California. I'm looking for some type of vacation either there or Florida this summer. Just thought if there was gonna be something going on that would be great. I haven't been on this site in quite awhile and glad to be back. I've already found some ideas on your calendar. I'm gonna see if I can find someplace where there's gonna be Shag gallery event this summer, hopefully.

Florida is very humid in the summer, although the water is very, very warm.

The Mai Kai is in Ft. Lauderdale, approx 45 minutes from Miami Beach South Beach, which is where the action is; however, all the tiki is gone, even if there is total tropic feeling.

Tiki abounds in San Diego: Humphrey's Half Moon, Bali Hai and Trader Morts on Shelter Island, Mr. Tiki's and SpaTiki in the Gaslamp and Red Lion HanaLei in Hotel Circle.

The weather is gorgeous and you can drink on the beach (although not on the boardwalk).

However, LA or SF is the place for tikicentral events.

Have you considered moving up the time of your vacation for the SF Crawl, Tiki Oasis or International Tiki Day?

Shag.com lists his shows.

Here is a link re SoCal tiki: http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=12819&forum=1&start=0

M

On 2005-02-02 22:02, christiki295 wrote:

The Mai Kai is in Ft. Lauderdale, approx 45 minutes from Miami Beach South Beach, which is where the action is; however, all the tiki is gone, even if there is total tropic feeling.

I want to clarify what Christiki is talking about. All the tiki is gone in MIAMI South BEatch, not the Mai-KAi. Christiki knows there are oodles of tikis at the Mai-Kai.
When I visit FLorida, I like to stay in Ft Lauderdale to be close to the Mai Kai-I can always take an east drive to Miami to check it out.--Smiley

D
Dawn32 posted on Thu, Feb 3, 2005 6:32 PM

On 2005-02-02 22:02, christiki295 wrote:

Tiki abounds in San Diego: Humphrey's Half Moon, Bali Hai and Trader Morts on Shelter Island, Mr. Tiki's and SpaTiki in the Gaslamp and Red Lion HanaLei in Hotel Circle.

The weather is gorgeous and you can drink on the beach (although not on the boardwalk).

However, LA or SF is the place for tikicentral events.

Have you considered moving up the time of your vacation for the SF Crawl, Tiki Oasis or International Tiki Day?

I would love to move the date up, unfortunately I won't have vacation time before the summer. Hopefully something cool will be coming up in Chicago for International Tiki day.

[i]On 2005-02-03 18:32, Dawn32 wrote:

Hopefully something cool will be coming up in Chicago for International Tiki day.

Chicago (also hot & humid in the summer) is Exotica, whereas International Tiki day is in Orange County (OC), CA - I believe previously held at Baxdog's. That would be a much better selection.

On 2005-02-03 20:16, christiki295 wrote:

[i]On 2005-02-03 18:32, Dawn32 wrote:

Hopefully something cool will be coming up in Chicago for International Tiki day.

Chicago (also hot & humid in the summer) is Exotica, whereas International Tiki day is in Orange County (OC), CA - I believe previously held at Baxdog's. That would be a much better selection.

Hey, it's International Tiki Day! If some of the Chicago ohana want to throw something they can. Of course you can't have bonfires on North Beach, but they could throw a bar-b-que, or meet at Hala Kahiki or Trader Vic's.

Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.