Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

teaKEY's got a Bar or two *Update*

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 292 replies

He has got quite a little attitude there, love the cigar. Nice job. :tiki:

T
teaKEY posted on Thu, Jan 4, 2007 6:35 PM

BPB -thats true about the many may be just like me, silently enjoying your posts. Thats cool that you liked the day to day posting. I thought of it instantly on Christmas when I got them. And I want everyone to experience it just like I did. Maybe I should have done a slow picture slide show on a mug coming out from a box. But now it over for now.

VampiressRN- Truly Attitude. That Doug guy is a genius and my dad brought the ideas alive MORE. My favorite part is the hand on the head. It looks creepy in a good way.

Wow! Just saw this. teaKEY your father does some great work man. I'm honored that you guys would create this based on one of my paintings. You picked my favorite monkey in that piece and really captured his mood. I'm blown away.

P
Paipo posted on Fri, Jan 12, 2007 3:26 PM

That's a beautiful piece teaKEY! The first photo captures it perfectly. It's hard to believe it's actually a working mug design too, and I really like the subtle modifications your Dad made to Doug's original design to make it work in 3D. It did take me a while to warm to the whole "Monkeys with Tiki" thing, but I'm definitely a convert now.

T

teaKEY,

That mug is amazing!!! Please ask your dad to show us some of his work in progress or post some pictures or introduce himself. You should be really proud of him that's quite an accomplishment both in form and function. I'm sure he would be welcomed here with open arms!

Tikisgrl

your dad is rad!
So is that Doug Horne minkey! :)

T

Swampfire, glad you like it, I like it. And I bet TC would like to still see you do one of your monkey designs as a mug. I don't know if I said this but you seem to be liking your monkey more :wink: It seem like the monkey is coming out :wink: as a favorite character. And I think its because tikis are one thing and these monkeys seem to represent men's qualities even more after drinking.

Paipo "Monkeys with Tiki" thing, but I'm definitely a convert now" Did you see the new mugs over at Munktiki?

Tikisgrl "show us some of his work in progress or post some pictures or introduce himself" Has no camera or computer. Just wanted to make me happy.

L.L.T. Thanks, You know I love those new Birdman painting you did. Hopefully one day I will be able to get my hands on one, but knowing how many they will be loved , it will be hard.
But those painting, they give me an idea

Looks like Creating was busy this weekend, cool

T

My first mug.

Never Before Seen. MAde in 2004. Hand MAde Mug. One of One. It is Musicial. Has Skull Necklace. Ten Plus Glazes. Huge Huge Huge. Mug is Priceless.

Thanks for Looking.

On 2007-01-14 18:52, teaKEY wrote:
#1 My first mug. #2 It is Musicial. #3 Huge Huge Huge.

#1 Pretty cool Teakey. I was wondering when we could finally see this one.
#2 Is there a ipod or something in his ears I cannot see? does he sing? Does he get the radio like Gilligan's fillings?
#3 How big is it?

Oh crap! I'm not silently enjoying your thread anymore...
Enjoying it though,
Buzzy Out!

T

Hey B.P. Buzzy , glad you likey. I actually started the mug before I bought a single mug, but half way through, got my imported Munktiki U Bastard mug. I thought after that all mugs were that big. I started buying mugs to compare with mine. Ever since, most mugs look larger in their pictures then when I see them come out from a box of white peanuts.

#2 Musicial, yes. A rattle in it just like Munktiki, with five different sized balls for slightly different chines. The cool thing is, it doesn't look added on or an afterthought. Its built into the head. A false bottom.

#3 Huge, Not counting the hidden compartment, it holds I believe its 21oz.

Thanks for looking, come again.

T
teaKEY posted on Fri, Mar 9, 2007 8:57 AM

Just got to see my May 27 birthday gift by accident. It was sitting unglazed at the studio that I go to. And wow is it a stunner. Gecko says that his mug is the first one to stand on its own two feet. Well, if I'm not mistaken, "This is the first tiki mug to stand on its own four feet." Again image used from TikiMagazine and from an artist that is not as common.

So here is the update on the BigBen. All glazed up and sitting in itself state of birth (fire).

Very happy happy with the way the glaze came out. Its almost an TikiFArm type galze (little less golden and more dark brown) and the first time that I have used this glaze and first time a glaze like this (glossy, transparent) on one of my mugs.

inside is what looks like sharkskin.

T
teaKEY posted on Fri, Mar 9, 2007 1:41 PM

Sharkskin looks black without the strong sunlight

next to the mug that was my first bought limited production. Was my favorite Moai.

The difference, one is hand-made and only one in the world and the other is not.

the glaze worked like magic

teaKEY

[ Edited by: teaKEY 2008-07-28 14:56 ]

B

teaKEY, You Should be VERY PROUD. This guy looks Awesome, I wish I could afford him. He would look great in my new office. maybe you can make me a copy!. I Love it.

Big Ben turned out great! You should have a mold made of that sucker, if it broke it would be tragic.

T

Sweet that you guys like it.

"maybe you can make me a copy!. I Love it".-Ben
Ok, maybe this will work, the next thing that you make and it looks a little different, I'll make a mold of that and make five, smash the mold, give you one free of charge.
Ben, you ever thought of doing a birdman type thing. Thats what I want to do next. Or Kava Kava would be up your alley

On 2007-03-13 06:16, teaKEY wrote:
Or Kava Kava would be up your alley

I had Kava Kava up my alley once. Kinda trippy.

J

I have been looking and watching for an update on this guy. That turned out nice! I agree, you should get a mold of this one.

JP

BenZart-style captured and nothing but MOAI ATTITUDE, "smug & smirk" all over that one...SUPERB JOB teaKEY! BRAVO!!!

Flip-flOp-fLipPp... :D

T

Thanks guys for the feedback.

Ok here is your first looks at my newest mug. It for sale too. It would actually be the first "mug" that I will have sold, if it sells (long story).

Its got the most beautiful inside of any mugs, don't got a pic on me but here is that I do have. Asking price is probably a buck twenty. Send a PM if you are interested. Its an "Action Mug" too. Aren't you lucky.

color: Hulk Green

T

I love art but I have no money. Ever see a $10,000 painting that you just had to buy but didn't have that dough to spend. Thats me and thats all the time. I did something about it..

This is a Jeff Soto painting hanging in a gallery. Its my favorite one too. Jeff is a big time painting, up there with the best.

bad picture but looked sweet with morning sun burning through the window. This painting is hanging up in my bedroom.

Now, ever see "Thomas Crown Affair"(the newest one). You are probably thinking I stole it. I painted it. My second painting ever. Zero painting classes, self taught. This is a foraged painting. Its 99+% accurate. The artist himself wouldn't know the difference. I probably spent more time looking at this painting then anyone ever did/will. Color size everything. I called up Jeff, He knows. Its not for sell ,ever, I love it too much. First thing I wake up too. Starts the day off right.

T
teaKEY posted on Wed, Apr 4, 2007 9:44 AM

What no Jeff Soto fans?

ok, always the fan of Flounder (www.flounderart.com) who is MIA at the moment, at least according to his website.

When I came onto TC a few years back, the first great tiki painter that I saw was Flounder but most of the tikis that he did, were older pieces that were all sold up. He did a cool sereis of Tiki MUgs on burlap and the results were incredible. Looked so real, that your swore it was a photo.

I never painted a single thing then and thought, I would never be able to paint with theses results. Since then I have done three paintings. My third painting is of MY favorite mug. Painted on found board, and looking for found frame to finish it off. Here it is. Just took a quick photo, badly washed out color and richness from real painting.

enjoy.

my painting on left, real mug on right

T
teaKEY posted on Wed, Apr 4, 2007 9:44 AM

DP double post

[ Edited by: teakey 2007-04-04 10:44 ]

Great job TeaKey! That turned out really nice!

On 2007-03-24 19:27, teaKEY wrote:
I love art but I have no money. Ever see a $10,000 painting that you just had to buy but didn't have that dough to spend. Thats me and thats all the time. I did something about it..

This is a Jeff Soto painting hanging in a gallery. Its my favorite one too. Jeff is a big time painting, up there with the best.

bad picture but looked sweet with morning sun burning through the window. This painting is hanging up in my bedroom.

Now, ever see "Thomas Crown Affair"(the newest one). You are probably thinking I stole it. I painted it. My second painting ever. Zero painting classes, self taught. This is a foraged painting. Its 99+% accurate. The artist himself wouldn't know the difference. I probably spent more time looking at this painting then anyone ever did/will. Color size everything. I called up Jeff, He knows. Its not for sell ,ever, I love it too much. First thing I wake up too. Starts the day off right.

cool painting and very similar to another artists work i like but can't afford....nathan oda(?) otta(?) not sure about his last name spelling..you can see his work in past shows on the dva gallery website...similiar subjuct matter too!!

T

Nathan Ota , bottom on theDvA store page.

Very similar stuff. The clouds, the house, the holes, the plant-like tentacles. Wonder if he is a bit of a fan of Soto. Soto is pretty well known and has been for years. The cheapest painting that was listed on an out dated gallery page was 2.5 in. X 2.5 in. for something like $250-300 and now that same strap of magic would go for $600+

Tea-Key, I've been painting just 2 yr's in oils and a few paintings in acrylics so I'm certainly no expert, but I can say with some certainty that your painting skills are really good, esp. for just starting an' all. I hope to see alot more of your paintings. That's great that you commisioned yourself to do a copy of that piece and it came out so well. Now you can go to Hawaii with that 10k!

Aloha, ST

[ Edited by: sneakytiki 2007-05-01 07:14 ]

T
teaKEY posted on Wed, Apr 4, 2007 6:01 PM

Thanks very much, Capt'n, Tispy, Sneaky.

That mug, if you didn't know was painted by Drew Brophy for DvA gallery and is owned by only our TC collector KTD. I try to actually make my painting look just like the original. It probably started when I would first draw, I tried to make the picture look just like the one in the book. My sister and kids in school, would ask me to draw stuff for them for class projects. I learned that my line work, looked pretty much spot on.
In college, in my drawing classes, we would have to draw still-life and then hang everyones paintings up next to one another. I noticed that most people would have a great drawing with the feel of the objects represented. Little differences here and there, and mine was pretty much the exactly what I saw. Although, it wouldn't even matter if it was the same, if people had no clue what the original looked like.
When I painted my first painting, of my dad's tiki mug with the idea of a "Scream" backdrop, I thought that it would have to look exactly like the mug, or it wasn't a picture of the mug. Same way with the background. People would get a better idea of what I was going for if it was close to exact. It pretty much is the "Scream" painting. (Posted in a earlier page)
Next I thought, hell, I could paint a painting that I want and no one would be able to tell the difference. The cool thing is, I learn a lot about painting, following master painter's hands, and I got to find out that I could do it. Plus I got free art out of it. And who in today's age has painted a fake of a modern painter's work? Its truly a tribute piece. I will put in details no larger than a hair's width or a pen's point.
I find the process of doing it to be half the journey. Even if its just something I would know.

Tipsy, you and I are sorta the same with reproducing something. Something that we couldn't have had any other way. You and your signs and me doing some paintings.

My next one is going to be a Glenn Barr painting with even the brush strokes in all the same directions. Hopefully I will get to meet him with this painting cause he lives not too far away.

[ Edited by: teaKEY 2007-04-04 18:03 ]

K
kooche posted on Wed, Apr 4, 2007 6:41 PM

awesome man! great mug painting teakey!

tipsy - dude! nice jeff soto painting! i am actually lucky enough to have gotten a few of his paintings prior to his explosion into pop culture... i think it was his very first la luz show with a few other people after which we picked up some things that had yet to sell directly from him. he is one of my favs!

SO IS GLENN BARR! he is incredible and is such a nice humble guy if you ever get to talk with him. we have one of his originals too - lucky!

other favs are joe sorren and viner - who doesn't love ryden? we don't own any of these painter's work

anyway - great job!

T
teaKEY posted on Wed, Apr 4, 2007 7:58 PM

Hey Miles, thanks for the painting comps.

It's a honor to have one of the "Juxtapoz" crowd looking over my stuff. Plus, I think your tops of tiki and tiki is got to be my favorite subject.

I have learned that I can paint what I see (mostly) but unlike you, I don't have that great style and memory experience that you have. You have long hours of human form studies and it translates directly into your gouche paintings. Plus all that creativity, you can't learn that.

Sweet that you got original paintings. I'm glad that I got my M.T. oil painting. Love it. Brings a smile to my face, and its one of your smaller one. And its oil, thats something that you don't do as many.
I'll post a detail shot of the Soto

T

What a great weekend I had. So I may not have gone to the Farm Parking Lot Event but I had a sweet tiki time in Michigan.

I went to my parent's home for the weekend and my birthday is still a good month away (MAY 27th)(of course May is the best B-day month).

A mug is sitting on the mantle. An early look at my birthday gift. I got a look at it before glaze, but after is breathe taking. Reddish black glaze job like a hunk of Iron, one the most animated tiki mug now and probably for a long time to come. The cool thing about it is that I make mugs, but I would have never thought to have make something like this or even use the same colors.
For a guy that never had been on TC and get all his inspiration from Tiki Magazine, he makes mugs that are beyond first class. Its F'ing Crazy. Now all weekend I get to talk mug with him. At breakfast, lunch, and sometimes dinner. Doesn't get too much better.
I heard rumors of a second mug. Surprise, he wanted to show me on Saturday. Couldn't hold it in any longer. I think he is more excited. Checked the kiln downtown Sat., Kiln just getting started. Check Kiln Sun. morning, @ 500 degrees. He went couple hours later and brought back a scolding hot 300 degree masterpiece. That's what all tiki mugs should be, right? Beyond cool. I thought the mantle one was the best yet, but this one may have topped it. Maybe the best mug that I have ever could dream of. Better!

Sorry no pics but waiting is worth it. I'll give a hint on this one, a Solomon Is. mug. And now maybe my favorite new spot. I'm not into wooden tiki mug, but if this was wood, it would be a museum artifact. Its definitely sculpture and not just a mug. If a molded mug of 300 was selling new for $100, this would have to be in the $1,000 range for it rareness and quality. Seriously, my mug collection is now in the out of this world.
Oh yeah, First Solomon Is. piece done of TC?? So, it broke in the first firing. We are thinking, clumsy hands on part of the loader. But it was fixed and you can't really tell. But talk about Mana. The day after the broken Solomon piece, big waves hit the Island.

Ok, here is the kicker. My dad has done nine mugs and seven of them are on tiki artist. The last is straight from a Oceanic history book (well, magazine) but wait, there more. TikiFArm 2007 contest with six winning mug due out in 08. My dad agreed to make a mug from my designs. We though, we should pump up my stuff for once. Of all the designs that I sent out for the contest and though, ok, never going to get made now, I'm wrong. My dad agreed to make a mug of my chioce from the designs that I summited. Then agreed on two. And then Agreed on three. So, I lucked out with three mugs that I summited to the Farm, actually getting made and in 07.

T

"I got a look at it before glaze, but after is breathe taking. Reddish black glaze job like a hunk of Iron, one the most animated tiki mug now and probably for a long time to come. The cool thing about it is that I make mugs, but I would have never thought to have make something like this or even use the same colors.
For a guy that never had been on TC and get all his inspiration from Tiki Magazine, he makes mugs that are beyond first class. Its F'ing Crazy."-(recap)

Just a teaSER. I contacted the artist who was the inspiration over two weeks ago and never heard back. Strange. I will post the colored pic in a day or two unless someone is positive that they know what the mug is of.

[ Edited by: teaKEY 2007-06-01 13:07 ]

[ Edited by: teaKEY 2007-06-01 13:16 ]

it's a 'big black tree trunk with a white question mark' mug?

On 2007-05-31 17:47, Johnny Dollar wrote:
it's a 'big black tree trunk with a white question mark' mug?

Isn't that what Munktiki is doing already with their 'Forest Idol' range?

[ Edited by: Kon-Hemsby 2007-06-01 00:42 ]

Interesting observation KH, although this one is apparently "one the most animated tiki mug now and probably for a long time to come."

Munktiki 'aint got that!

T
teaKEY posted on Fri, Jun 1, 2007 1:04 PM

A tree would be very cool and Munktiki actual made a mug to look like a tree based off Dave Burke's drawings. 'Forest Idol' that Munktiki is doing right now is more like the animals (or creature) that live in a forest.

But those are not this. Gecko has the claim that he created the "first tiki to stand on its own two legs". My pops created the "first tiki to stand on four legs" based off of Hassan Patterson's design. http://pressureprinting.com/patterson/patterson_nav.htm/ design for sale at Pressure Printing

The tiki looks so real, you would think that it would bite you if you get too close.

[ Edited by: teaKEY 2007-06-01 13:09 ]

F

Man, I haven't checked on this thread in a while, your stuff is coming along nicely. I'm blown away by your recent painintgs. Keep up the good work.

1. BOOGEDY! CHOMP!! CHOMP!!! 8)

Flip-flOp-fLipPp... :D

T
teaKEY posted on Sat, Jun 2, 2007 6:24 AM

Thanks frostiki and I believe a thanks to Traveling:).

Yeah, the fang look and feel deadly. The hang down with space behind them. The picture doesn't show the depth/ 3D quality as it is.

K

could it be from headhunterstudio?
Logo

Pimp your tiki

Hassan patterson?

T
teaKEY posted on Sat, Jun 2, 2007 1:57 PM

Hassan, PIMP YOUR TIKI! That's it. I tried Emailing him and got nothing. Anyone know him??

K

His sketches are pretty awesome and his website is cool as well. I really would like to have some of his work on display at my house someday.

T
teaKEY posted on Sun, Jun 3, 2007 6:53 PM

kbgator- yes, I like the sketches that he does and a cut above his colored photo-shopped? pics. I would imagine it to be hard to color with the computer. Weird thing about Hassen is that I don't remember hearing anything about him on TC but he always has a full page ad in Tiki Magazine and was featured as an Up and Coming Tiki Artist. Maybe this mug will help bring him out of the studio to come chat it up.

I got the pleasure to have a mug made of one of my designs I submitted for the TikiFarm Contest. TikiFArm could still use this for a future mug (HINT HINT) but my dad decided to give it a whirl. I couple of mine ideas made Honorable mention and I will show a pic of the 1.Unglazed 2.Glazed but not fired 3.And Fired version of the mug starting tomorrow.

The mug that I'm referring to is seen below. Its one of the mugs that is not crossed out.

I guess the Tiki Dog comments are over, not two pages like TikitOny's hut. Note to self, use more color. :) ok everyone, have a great night and stay safe. I'm out

T
teaKEY posted on Mon, Jun 4, 2007 7:27 AM

some of the many I did.

An idea that I can touch A dream that I can hold

K

TeaKey:
I like the sketch that is at the top right hand corner. Could you show this one up closer.

Looks good from a far but maybe its far from good.

That's Hot! :wink:

Delicious, teaKEY!

sandz :D

T
teaKEY posted on Tue, Jun 5, 2007 3:02 PM

KBgator, here is my top right. Simple lines and would be TFArm's first totem mug.

BlackSands, love that name. Put the word black in front of something, and makes for a cool name.
More like this, don't you think.

Would love to have a molded mug like this. Its humor that only a true tiki lover would get.

Got some stain and glaze of there. Amber for the tiki with a bit of stain for wood grain. Black matte pot. Yellow flames. Red wasn't an option and yellow and black will look good. Logs, stained to look just like the real thing.

see my little masks in the background

J

KBgator, here is my top right. Simple lines and would be TFArm's first totem mug.

Are you saying that none of these qualify as "totem" mugs?

T
teaKEY posted on Tue, Jun 5, 2007 3:31 PM

You know, right after, I saw some stacked tiki candles and thought of that Shag mug. Maybe I meant having three tiki stacked high. That is kinda usual. But now its got me thinking, is a totem two plus or is it more.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 292 replies