Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

teaKEY's got a Bar or two *Update*

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 292 replies

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Dec 8, 2005 3:46 PM

Dude, how tall are you? Gads! Wicked art. I'm diggin it!

-Gman

F
foamy posted on Thu, Dec 8, 2005 4:48 PM

Hey, whatever you've got going on with that painting... well, it's working, working big time. Carry on!

Hey Teakey-
Sweet artwork, I dig it all, especially the concrete work.
Moon

T

Thanks Gman, Foamy, and Moondance. You guys all make great stuff too. It seems these days that the only people on are the ones making the stuff. Gman, that last tiki you made, its your best again. Moondance, thats a lovely shape for your moai. Wait till you see mine in the spring.

Right when I get off the computer, I will be finishing the last few touches on my painting. I am then going to make a print of it for my Dad's Christmas gift. Looking up, I do concrete, cermanic, and now paint. Wood is next! Later all

On 2005-12-08 14:27, teaKEY wrote:
...I might not be the tallest person of TC but I have to be in the top three.

No, I think you've got us all beat! Thanks for posting pics, it's nice to put a face with the username.

Can you post a closer shot of the painting?

C

Nice Mug painting Teakey...I commend you for getting the bug
and diving in...now get some chisels and start digging into wood.
When I first saw the pic of you standing next to the door I
thought it was was of those funny "tiny" house things...all
the better...lotsa muscle to carve away wood chips.

T

Been alittle too slow here for me lately but I have been enjoying all the Christmas fun away from TC at the moment 2.
Ben pointed out a figure in the corner of my eye. Well about a year before that mug, I made this fish for a friend's Christmas gift. Can anyone see the creepy thing going on in the glaze.

I will post a close-up tomorrow for all who don't see it. It's not tiki but made from the same material as tiki mugs and the fish is found at the beach, like tikis are.

T

This very strange face appear a couple days later. It has eyes, full nose, a top and bottom lip, tooth, and maybe a soulpatch. Along with around shaped head.

[ Edited by: teaKEY 2005-12-30 08:20 ]

J

There is also a Easter Island face in profile facing right between the gill and first downward rib just below the backbone.

This is a nice sculpture as well.

JP

B

Way to go teaKEY, I love the fish. The face is hard to find but when you do find it , you can see it clearly. Stand the fish on his nose and look in the dead center of the fish and there it is.
By the way, you NEVER told us How tall you are. How tall are you?. Thanks for showing us new stuff.

T

Well when I was at the Chicago tiki event this year, there was someoene who was about the same hieght. I'm six foot ten. And just now, there is a show on t.v. that is about gaints and people who are tall that have problems with there hearts. Crap!

If I went out and got a full body tattoo of my self but only ten inches taller, then I could be 6'10". :)

The fish looks cool, I've carved a few thousand fish. I use to work at a fish market. I have carved a few out of wood also. The wood ones always smell better in the long run.

Nice work, thanks for posting.
Now get back to the kiln and fire up some more tikis.

F

TeaKEY, what's happening with that painting? I love the fish, very nice (great texture), but I want to see more of that painting.

T
teaKEY posted on Thu, Jan 5, 2006 3:47 AM

here is more. I know super bad pic and I will probably fix that later, but at least you can see what direction was taken. Everything is paint. That little guy in the back is seen elsewhere in a United Airlines post.

T
teaKEY posted on Thu, Jan 5, 2006 3:47 AM

here is more. I know super bad pic and I will probably fix that later, but at least you can see what direction was taken. Everything is paint. That little guy in the back is seen elsewhere in a United Airlines post.

[ Edited by: teaKEY 2006-01-05 03:49 ]

[ Edited by: teaKEY 2006-01-05 03:50 ]

T
teaKEY posted on Thu, Jan 5, 2006 4:31 AM

here is two of the three mugs that my dad made for my birthday. Its like a tall shag. Although, its very unusual because it may be the first and only to have a "dry mouth" The mouth is separate from the rest. I just planted a cactus in it last night. I started to love cat us and need to read more about them. I think that you can just clip a bit off and start a new plant?

On 2006-01-05 04:31, teaKEY wrote:
here is two of the three mugs that my dad made for my birthday. Its like a tall shag. Although, its very unusual because it may be the first and only to have a "dry mouth" The mouth is separate from the rest. I just planted a cactus in it last night. I started to love cat us and need to read more about them. I think that you can just clip a bit off and start a new plant?

teaKEY, you should have you Dad post some step-by-step info on his mugs, they're really nice & I'd like to know more about how to put them together. Are they thrown, coil wound, carved from a block? What does he fire them to? What glazes does he use?

And different Cacti have different regrowing ability, I don't think that the one you have in that mug is one you can just snip off a bit of, but I think you might be able to separate the group into individual cacti.

Rev. Dr. Frederick J. Freelance, Ph.D., D.F.S

[ Edited by: freddiefreelance 2006-01-05 06:59 ]

Yeah, you must hand it to a dad who would do such a limited edition mug for you. Cheers to him! Also I like the piece with the little UA Mene in it too.

T

Here is a tiki bowl that I am thinking about selling. Its a one of a kind and actually, the only tiki bowl that I own. I made it and have never seen another bowl that looks equally as good upside down. If anyone has seen another this way, I'd like to know. Its a bowl right-side up and a moai hill the other way. Two display items in one. I will see if anyone wants it first before I try out Ebay. Another first, is that its the first art piece I made and will sell. I am looking forward to give has trio of Moai a good home.

To the first of something else to come :drink:

T
teaKEY posted on Mon, Mar 6, 2006 3:08 PM

^ Well, my bowl sold. I told the guy to come check out TC and he said that he recently did. I'm so glad that my work is liked by another and that my moai got out from behind the cereal boxes.

I thought that I would show one of my mask I did in clay which probably got me into tiki. This is an African mask, which most, if not all are made in wood. I did this one in clay which is just like a tiki because tiki mug are faces in clay. Its sort of Shag-like being so simple but I did this one when shag to me was just a British word.

B

teaKEY, I'm happy you sold your bowl.. So many artists auction their art but end up not selling, so Congrats. It was a Very unique bowl and you should be proud. Your "African" mask looks like it could be from PNG possibly so you weren't that far off. It looks familiar and I think it is similar to an old mask posted here some time ago.

nice work teakey!

Great mask teakey!
The FANG tribe make masks that look very similar to that. In fact, some speculate that Tiki Bob himself was created using a FANG mask as reference.
Here is one:

"The Fang tribe are spread over a vast area along the Atlantic coast line of equatorial Africa and can be found in Cameroon equatorial Guinea and Gabon namely along the bank of the Ogowe river."

T
teaKEY posted on Mon, Mar 6, 2006 5:13 PM

Yeah, when you just type tiki in the Ebay search, there are a billion items that labeled tiki and a million that never sell. I tend to think that people use the tiki label to sell off their stuff. I guess its the hot word.

Tikiwahine -I like this style mask and wouldn't mine having a that mask that you posted. I like how its longer and has that bit of red. I will have to look up Fang and admire more of these great mask. I personally think that they represent man better that other mask ever. Its simplicity. But for being an African mask, it sure looks like an white man.

This mask got me started into tiki, what if it got the South Pacific started into tiki? We know tiki history very well so does anyone know the first tiki mug that Don or Vic used? BigBro? Anyone?
Thanks for liking ya ll

J

I like the mask, if it brought you to tiki then it did its job. It may be a fang mask, but I agree with Benzart: PNG stuff looks very similar to it.
JP

T

So the first tiki mug is unknown.

I'm very excited that I just made my little pufferfish into a puffer-lamp. Its just enough to produce the final element for my tiki mood. Drink in mug, my light, and some good music.

lite

Now, I know there is a special post for just puffer lights but this goes to my next sentense. And the whole thing only cost me about 12.00 and is now priceless.

Ookoo Lady is one of the nicest people would I have never meet and I wanted to send her a special little surprise in the mail. I guess that the package was lost in the mail for over a month and finally arrived.
Its what all tiki bars need. Its a close-up and first watercolor.

F

That's pretty damn nice! How big? You stayed loose and it worked out very well. Good job!

al0ha teaKEY!

I want to tell 0'tale of how I came upon the sacred bowl of the MOAI TRIO...

)))------->>>>>>> :o Upon crossing the furthest point of the South Seas...the compass rose spins madly...washed ashore black sands of an uncharted island...deep within the darkest screams of jungle...poison darts fly like mosquitos from blowguns of starving cannibals...lowered into the mouth and firey bowels of an angry volcano...steam clears to reveal a hidden paradise...behind the tall cascading waterfall curtain...a voluptuous wahine lay naked upon a mound of rubies, emeralds and sapphires...she slides her hands between her creamy thighs...BEHOLD the mysterious MOAI TRIO!!!
Sailing homeward a terrible storm occurs...HUGE swells...waves SMASHING the bow of the vessel...Cap'n Crunch tossed EVERYWHERE! I lay upon the deck...gazing upon the upset bowl...I discover a haunting vision...that of the MOAI TRIO staring through my very soul...perched safely upon thier Rapa Nui.

H0 teaKEY, me-liKEY-me-teaKEY bowl!!!

Flip-fl0p-fLipPp....

T

Thanks Foamy on the comps. I need to do a Pollock soon and really feel the paint.

Hey TravelingJones,
Thats a great description of origins. Very vivid pictures. Just glad that you like the Trio and I'm happy to know where it is at, at the moment. The pictures look great. The blue print that you have under it, sets it off. I even got a taste of what it feels like to have one of my tiki items in a collection and on Ooga-Mooga. And that feeling is a good one. A taste that is going to keep me going. Thanks Traveling!
LAter

TeaKEY,

I'm super impressed with your pufferfish painting. I've always loved impressionism, not an art/painting critic by any means. But my gut is that I really like that piece, and gut feel trumps all in my book. Keep doing what you're doing - it's great!

A-A

T

The gut is the true decision maker. Thats very true. My gut is saying, Aaron, what great tiki have you been up to lately.

So as shown in Marketplace, I painted up a couple of Tikifarm Ape mugs. Now, I can't do a couple without doing one for myself. But like I have stated I am not doing anymore on Ebay or maybe no more but I sure think that the semi-matte black ape mug is one of the best looking around. The mug transforms from a mere ape into a snarling Gorilla.

I think that Tikifarm should do a second color-way on these mugs. I didn't even like the ape mug when it first came out, but after seeing it in person and then changing it too, I love this guy. Its the best canvas of all the tiki mugs.

I even did up the bottom, so no white ring ^^^^^^^^^

And then there's more. But this guy has taken a nap in the jungle and will reemerge later tonight to show you the most hardcore lookin mug on the planet.

Comments PMs

[ Edited by: teaKEY 2006-05-30 12:12 ]

[ Edited by: teaKEY 2006-05-30 12:13 ]

T

Here is the black mug next to my best find. O, this wasn't my favorite picture that I had of it.

This one is jet black mean and mysterious. Its got a gold grille and burning red eyes. Its wearing the black on black FOM fez. The lettering is in gold (the king of mugs) and the "O" in FOM is the all seeing eye.

T

hi

T

Jesus, I almost broke my back but its mostly here. Will post pictures tomorrow and then give a little introduction a little later in the day after that.

One year later than predicted but its certainly becoming a reality.

Moai Project 2005-2006 and on.

T

Its strange that Cap and Seamus posted this weekend. I thought about you guys for a second over the weekend

So I started my cement tiki last summer and the first was a simple head, then head lamp, fountain birdman, and then a 3 footer fountain. Two others were made as well. Each one better than the last by two fold.

One is still top-secret and the other I worked on and then disaster happened. Mother nature halted the project but this year, I pulled up my shelves and accomplished what I had no idea could have been made.

I have made better and better and the next better was bigger. This guy is a monster. Bigger than I am, (not by much) at seven feet. Four bags of 60 pound mortar. Its completely hollow like a Chocolate Easter bunny and the skin is about 1/4 to 1/2 inch deep.

(looking like a man that bit his last one)

Virtually no internal structure. And ofcousre heavy. Certainly not a feat for most. I will never do one like this again. The cement does not like to stay on the tiki for the most part. If your luckly two steps forward, one back but this is progress.

And it may be the first real Moai in the last hundreds of years, for the one and most important reason but I will say more about this later, more still to do, in this Moai project.

T

Man, so many people are doing the concrete tikis and moais right now. There has been the biggest BOOM on posts about it this week. And yet, no one has made a commit to anything on my page six.

I don't make these for anyone but myself but I would figure that the people most interested in see and talking about these tiki would be member of a tiki forum. So since it is just for me, I think that I will just keep it to myself, what I have been up to. Now if it was made out of wood!?

the back

[ Edited by: teaKEY 2006-07-11 17:18 ]

M

TeaKEY, prop it up so's we can see it in it's glory. Show us the top secret thingy too. Mahalo

J

Yeah, more pics.

JP

T

M

Holy Freakin Moai!!!!

How tall? What's he weigh?

T

I'm seven feet tall when wearing shoes and Moe Eye is maybe just under 7.5 feet. I am guessing the wiegh is a very light 250 pounds cause I used about 4 - 60 pound bags. Very hollow, I have no idea how heavy it could be when filled. I may fill with sand or see if it will float. I think it could very well float. The water is just behind the house seen in some photos.

M

Is that the final outer finish? or are you going to apply a texture/color coat?

My bet is it would sink, and fast. I wouldn't try it (unless you have a crane)

Mahalo

T

"texture/color coat?"

the texture is the best you can get with just the concrete and in the picture, its just at least ten colors on it. If it didn't have any color it would be white.

A natural Moai is a dark gary and then they have a white scale on them with a bit of a yellow/brown something

T

(NEW)

I made mugs, a couple of them a couple years ago, and I just got back into doing them. The couple that I made in the past is NFS and priceless for me. I just made two for sale(unshown and unglazed) and now a third mug which I will share with you here.

The last three mugs that I have created are the tops in the classes. The goal was to make the best tiki mugs ever! and I am going to see to it. These mugs here are best so far in the small field that I created them in. #1 is one of the best mugs that I have seen and the only mug is existence to do want it does(copyright). I like that sort of thing. #2 is one of the only mugs that looks better upside down but it something completely different right side up. Can't say I've seen that.

#3 Not my design so its not for sale, but its could be the only hand-built Moai mug in existence. Hand-built, using no molds ever, and I even balance the mugs. By balance that is where the outside of the mug matches the inside , giving it reduced weight and simulates a molded mug. This process in the hardest way to do a mug. It would be easier to make a mold for even just one mug and smash the mold.
These mugs have a soul, are original designs and work(not copies like a molded piece) and have the mana of hand carved wood. Small or big, its about the same amount of work.

I asked permission form TikiCentral's most beloved Tiki Craver, BenZart, if I could do a mug of one of his carved pieces. BenZart was into it. And Benzart was one of the first people on TC welcome me in. I believe that most of us will find that to be true with them too.
So I decided to pick one of BenZart's pieces that spoke to me alot. I love Moai and I have to say, for me, the carving that he is working on right now is the best moai I have seen in wood. Yesterday I started this mug, Its a tribute to Ben and all of his hard work and kindness to me and everyone else me meets although I have never met him. Most of the time artist tribute artist when its too late.

I got pretty far with this guy. I will show some progress shots, just like Benzart does. I came up with the name for this guy at 1:00 Am when I was still working on him, Big Ben is going to be the name. Most of my mugs are huge compared to some others. Its the way I prefer them. I don't have the most recent picture from last night but this mug is petty spot on, and the only different should be the length of my nose is longer.

more tonight!

After I got the grin right, I was like Holy Sh%t, it dawned on me that Thanks to BenZart, I just may have made the best Moai Mug in the world. And it make me want to have my BenZart Tikifarm mug more, compare them, and I would even I to have Tikifarm do a version of this one. Can't wait, its Benzart all the way.

Stay Tuned.

M

Whoa!

Quit F'n teasin us and show what you got! Sandbagger!

(from a closet mug freak!)

Mahalo

McTiki

O.K. Mr. Mugz...how many fingers am I holding up? O.K. fine.

Now focus on the chart and read the smallest line possible...

O.K. fine :roll:

...Now teaKEY, show us the goods?

Flip-flOp-fLipPp...

T

The picture above, I'm not hiding anything. I think under my hand is a large black hole, no defined lips until now.

Didn't get to work on it today, but that is the plan for tomorrow. I'm going to have fun with the ears. But here is the more current pic. I love that grin.

I think it even has a little BenZart lean, in the same diretion even.

What do you guys think?

T

ps. yeah, I know, the pictures are fuzzy and I should be a hand model. Those hands are h-o-t.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 292 replies