Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Enchanted Tiki Room- Pin Trading

Pages: 1 17 replies

I have avoided Disney pin trading like the plague because it is an ENDLESS hobby with new collectible pins getting created every year BUT....

I was perusing the pin racks in D land the other day and saw this.

TM

I've never really understood the pin thing. I always equate it with 'flare' (it's an 'Office Space' thing, hopefully some of you will appreciate the reference!), and I always get a chuckle when I see people with at least the minimum amount of flare. Anyway, it's kinda like how people don't understand my fascination with Tiki. Often times when folks see the tiki room at the house, they just scratch their head. Having said that, a few months ago I picked up a few of the ETR pins...They are really cool, I just don't know what to do with them. Right now they're sitting in my Shag ETR Goblet collecting dust.

Just wait til Kevin & Jody's 50th anniversary pins set comes out, everybody will become a pin trader. Compared to them, the above one looks like Japan made 70s Hanna Barbera animation...

E
Erika posted on Mon, Feb 21, 2005 8:50 AM

On 2005-02-19 17:52, Tiki Matt wrote:
. . . I just don't know what to do with them. Right now they're sitting in my Shag ETR Goblet collecting dust.

I'm not lucky enough to have any tiki-related pins so far, but for my other pins (souvenir enamelled pins, seahorse pins, and---forthcoming when I find a good frame---owl pins), I display them in a picture frame with felt glued or stapled in where the glass/picture would normally go. You just pin the pins onto the felt. I've found dark colors show off the pins best.

If I get any tiki pins, I'll use one of the couple fake-bamboo frames (the embossed wood kind) I've picked up from thrift shops. Maybe with a "mat" of grasscloth-type material around the edge instead of solid felt.

On 2005-02-19 18:57, bigbrotiki wrote:
Just wait til Kevin & Jody's 50th anniversary pins set comes out, everybody will become a pin trader. Compared to them, the above one looks like Japan made 70s Hanna Barbera animation...

I'm excited/worried... Kevin & Jody's stuff is going to bankrupt me pretty quickly this Summer....

My Aunt is a serious Disney pin collector. She's one of those hard core Disney frequent flyers, she has a pass card lanyard that hangs around your neck that is literally covered with them. When people pass her wearing the same type of lanyard, they eyeball each other's pins in jealous admiration, looking for "that one pin they've been searching for," The Holy Grail! They look like two dogs circling each other to sniff each other's butts. On the last trip, my Aunt has been very ill and no longer has the stamina for Disneyland so I thought I'd surprise her with a new pin or two. I asked a "cast member" if there was any new hot pin she might not know about and he walked me over to a Tinkerbell with a cubic zirconia on her wand tapping the old submarine ride. As he tried to show me, 3 women overheard and damn near knocked us sideways as they stripped the display post clean before I could react to reach for one. The cast member was stunned too, so he went into the back and got me another one. He explained that they are huge on the eBay market as collectors that can't make it to Disneyland will pay top dollar. I asked him if they had a Tiki Room one in a moment of weakness and he said they sold out close to a year ago and he didn't know when they'd get more if they'd do a different one. That was back in September so obviously they've got new pins. I know he mentioned a bunch of 50th anniversary special edition pins would be released in May but you won't catch me near them as I bruise easily.

I like this one.......

double post.....

[ Edited by: bongofury on 2005-02-22 16:58 ]

T

OK - now that's a pin I would actually buy....

That is a great pin! And I also love the graphics on the card. Very nice!

Tikiwahine......I took it off the black card. That is the whole pin. The lovely lady is set on top of that cool background. The whole thing is 1 1/2" wide by 2" tall.

There was also another ETR pin that featured a black & white photo of Walt in the ETR looking at Jose. I'm still mad that I didn't get that one! I did buy the ETR pin pictured at the beginning of this thread. I also bought two Jungle Cruise pins: one that has the men on the pole avoiding the rhino & the rhino's head moves up and down, and the pin that looks like the attraction poster for Jungle Cruise.
I wonder if there's a pin of the ETR attraction poster?
I guess this is why it's good to buy collectibles of attractions you don't care about as much- trading value.
On Mouseshoppe.com you can sign up to be notified via e-mail for new pin releases.

So with a meager three pins, I guess I'm missing at least 12 pieces of "flair" (flare?), what a rebel!

On 2005-02-22 18:39, bongofury wrote:
Tikiwahine......I took it off the black card. That is the whole pin. The lovely lady is set on top of that cool background. The whole thing is 1 1/2" wide by 2" tall.

wow! Now I really like it! cool pin!

E

I got an Enchanted Tiki Room pin for my birthday yesterday (yay!) and ended up discovering that there's a whole official Disney pin trading website. I did a search there for "tiki" and found photos of several pins---including some new tiki pins that came out just yesterday (shouldn't Disney give me a free set for my birthday?) that Walt Disney World visitors can look for on castmembers:

Spitting Tiki A
http://eventservices.disney.go.com/pintrading/pin?id=8472

Spitting Tiki B
http://eventservices.disney.go.com/pintrading/pin?id=8475

Spitting Tiki C
http://eventservices.disney.go.com/pintrading/pin?id=8478

Spitting Tiki D
http://eventservices.disney.go.com/pintrading/pin?id=8481

Does anybody know why they have what looks like long vertical holes in the middle?

On 2005-04-20 10:49, Erika wrote:
Does anybody know why they have what looks like long vertical holes in the middle?

That would be the slit in the slit drum. However, I've never seen a spitting slit drum before!

I guess that would make it a spit drum? :wink:

T

On 2005-04-20 10:49, Erika wrote:

Apparently they have water shooting out of them...

Don't know where else to post this but here is what I collected recently. But before I show that, let me answer the question of slit drums. The drums are usually found throughout Melanesia. The slits are not only made to help hallow out logs but to cause a nice resonance when beating the drum. The slit adds a deep, full, and reverberating sound. Here are a couple pictures of the real things.

Back to the subject of Disney pins. I recently went to WDW and there one can not avoid seeing all kinds of Disney trader pins. My daughter collects them and I never wanted too but after awhile I could not help noticing pins of Polynesian influence, including tiki pins. I bought the current pins then had an idea, so when I got home I went to eBay. There I learned a lot. There are tons of Disney pins with a Polynesian influence. I just bought enough to finish my idea - pictured below.

I thought it came out good with the gold bamboo frame. I wanted to put the pins in chronological order of what they represent. For example when Disney films or Disney park attractions or hotels open something Polynesian. When I did a chart of the pins beforehand, I notice a distinct parallel between Disney history and Tiki history. See below:

#A "Hawaiian Holiday" (1937) -- Pre-Tiki
#B Tahitian Terrace (1962) -- Mid-century Tiki
#C Enchanted Tiki Room (1963) -- Mid-century Tiki
#D It's A Small World (1966) -- Mid-century Tiki
#E The Polynesian Resort (1971) -- Mid-century Tiki
#F "The Lion King" (1994) -- Early Tiki Revival
#G "Lilo & Stitch" (2002) -- Early Tiki Revival
#H "Finding Nemo" (2003) -- Early Tiki Revival
#I Aulani Resort (2011) -- Tiki Revival 2nd Generation
#J "Lava" (2014) -- Tiki Revival 2nd Generation
#K Traders Sam's (2015) -- Tiki Revival 2nd Generation
#L Polynesian Resort reopening (2015) -- Tiki Revival 2nd Generation