Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

A Day at work

Pages: 1 3 replies

I think I've done a post on the twenty five foot Moai that resides in one of the warhouses I frequent in my duties. But today was an extra special surprise.

Picture turning the corner in a warehouse and there stacked against the walls, were row upon row of surfboards. And I'm talking old side of a tree longboards. Mixed in were were early Hobies etc.

Then in front of this are the disassembled remains of about 25 mechanical hula girls.

Then I noticed a figure looming over me. Underneath the stretch wrap the sinister/comical smile of Ed "Big Daddy" Roth beamed down at me, while panels of Rick Griffin surfer art from the 70's screamed "Paint me on a chevey van!!!".

Well theis post isn't quite TIKI, but I thought some people might dig on it.

TG
http://www.exotic-tiki-gardens.com

P.S. This was all from the Surf Art show that was at the Laguna Museum of Art, and it is headed out to Hawaii.

The surf culture show at Laguna was really awesome! I spent many hours in there checking it out.
Sounds like a really good day at work. Do you work for the museum?

This is awesome!
It reminds me a bit of the first time I was in Biarritz, France. I shopped at the first european mainland surfshop, Joe Moraiz. It was established in 1965, and Joe still worked there. He let me have a look at the board room, whitch was longboards only, and some were from the early sixties. Among the malibu boards was a Gidget-size one with the very cute shop logo on it. In the following years Biarritz had a serious retro vibe around the surf shops, due to the Oxbow Longboard world tour and Nat Young I suppose, but Joe Moraiz was the real thing. The shop stood long enough to make into the collage of french surf shops in Endless Summer II. But in the early summer of 1997 the building was gone.
The place used to be a genuine time bubble.

KK

On 2002-10-12 07:38, thecardcheat wrote:
The surf culture show at Laguna was really awesome! I spent many hours in there checking it out.
Sounds like a really good day at work. Do you work for the museum?

Nope, I work in the art shipping and crating business.
Usuually all I see is drab, pretensious, and uninspired artwork that someone bought as an investment, not because they loved it.

But every now and then, you get to see some truly cool stuff.
TG
http://www.exotic-tiki-gardens.com

Pages: 1 3 replies