Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Tikimeculas Stuff

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 696 replies

That is the cleanest, most organized monstrosity of a work space that I...wish I had!

Drool.

I'll be over next weekend to borrow a few things. :wink:

I see you've got some other fun projects you've been hiding, from what I can see they look good.

Can't wait to see the paddle when you get it done.

Grog, Thanks! Although you will have to get in line. I think yer #5 in line for that one.

Seek, Thanks Man, Not quite Tropical here yet, but I'm trying my best to make it that way. 95 here today.

Benzo, Yep I've been waiting patiently for that Koa Lono. But I wont rush ya :)

Surfin, Thanks. Took me a long while to get it that way. The shed is still is not finished, need to make a step to go in and finish a few more things on the outside. I originally wanted to carve all the trim (Still might someday).

Lake, come on over I'll let you borrow anything in there.....But you have to leave a Deposit. and no 2-party out of state checks, learned the hard way on that one :)

off to go carve on that paddle for a while, I'll put a few progress shots up tonight.

Got about 4 hours on it today,

B

Andy, You are one amazing artist! Your shop rocks in a big way. I sure hope you can make it to some more Chops sometime, I would really like to pick your brain some more. I see you have some big logs there too!! Yes, Yes!!! I've got a Chop mug for you...can you PM me as to where to send it?

Thanks, Babalu. I think I'll be at the one in a few weeks, Trying anyway?

Paipo, Thanks on the marq piece. This Austral paddle is kicking my butt. I love the shot of that hook in Pacific Encounters, That is where i got the idea to try the paddle. that is a GREAT BOOK! Please let me know if you remember where you saw that supply catalog.

I have seen pics of the Mangaian paddles also, The detail work is really close. I think i have even seen in some of the big auction house catalogs, calling them (Mangain) Austral Islands. Looks like they did a lot of pearl shell trading with the Austral Islands so perhaps a carver from Austral jumped ship in Mangareva?

Here is another paddle i found, They are calling it an Austral. I think it is Mangaian? Kinda funny looking.

Inspiring work Andy! Excellent detail and precise carving!

All that in 95 degree heat.

Amazing.

I'd love to get outdoors. Except that it is 38 degrees outside.

But your hard work reminds me that I need to get back to carving. :wink:

Again, beautiful work!

B

WOW

Amazing new work. I simply don't know how you reached this level of perfection but I think that's what makes it magical.

Since I've seen your favorite toy (the tormek) I am completly mad about it ! Thanks for sharing the website address too.

Ben

F

Awsome detail, incredible work, nice shop too.
Regards
Flynny

H
harro posted on Mon, Apr 14, 2008 2:37 PM

that's one awesome workshop you have there!! you're making everyone jealous here!

and all that beautiful precision and repetition on that last one - wowee you've got some skills and patience!

harro.

I was asked about size, this ought to give you an idea. Overall it's about 13" wide and 50" tall

This side is pretty much done, now i get to flip it over and start again.

P
Paipo posted on Mon, Apr 14, 2008 9:05 PM

Found it!

Here's the thread with the cool sea + jungle catalogue:
Florian Gabriel Estate Sale

Here's the page with your Marquesan club (plus the paddle you're doing and one of your templates? :) )

S

Insane! I'm really impressed with this work WOW.
Beautiful its lay-ed out most nice.

LOL! You mean...

This,

This,

and This,

B

Oh WOW, The Pain! Drool! Awesome stuff here T-Mec

J

I'm always impressed with the impeccable perfect detail you can do.

JP

Aloha tikimecula! WOW and I have to catch my breath ! That paddle is just Smokin HOT!!!Another excellent carving coming from an amazind artist. Aloha your friend, Mooney

Thanks Guys! The paddle is coming along.....

B

:o

Perfect

You got some AWESOME stuff going on through these pages!!! Very cool! Perfect!

Aloha tikimecula! More Excellent Detail! I ment to ask you what kind of wood is that your carving the paddle out of? Mahalo Mooney

Lake, You workin outdoors yet? It was almost cold here today It only hit 63.

Benella, Thanks. Buy that Tormek Yet :)

Flynny, Harro, Seeks, Thank You.

Benz, The pain i can deal with. it's the hallucinations when i stop staring at the circles that gets me :)

JP, Thanks diggin your Mrs Mai Kai!

Mooney, Thank You. The paddle is Poplar. Thats been my wood of choice for a bit now.

Tikifreak, Thank You.

I'm happy to say the Paddle part is finally DONE!

[ Edited by: tikimecula 2008-04-20 08:45 ]

My hat's off to you, Andy. That's a helluva piece..beautiful workmanship, craft, and patience to the nines. One to be very proud of.

P
Paipo posted on Sun, Apr 20, 2008 2:00 AM

Totally nailed it...wow. I've been away for a bit and this is a great piece to come back to!

Apologies if you mentioned it already, but which bar did you photograph those pieces in?

B

T-Mec, this is really a Great piece and if it's p[ossible I believe you are Outdoing yourself with each one.
Major Respect coming your way!

Bk, Thanks. This one has really tested my abilities. Still a ways to go on this one.

Paipo, Thank you. Those were taken at the Mai Kai.

Benz, Thanks.

Holy cr_p! Don't EVER let water touch it!! Amazing.

K

That's absolutely ridiculous... you RULE TMEC!

N
NOTCH posted on Sun, Apr 20, 2008 8:52 PM

Daaang Brah!!! Thats looking KILLER!!!

Awesome Work...

On 2008-04-19 20:58, tikimecula wrote:
Lake, You workin outdoors yet? It was almost cold here today It only hit 63.

Sick as a dog here for the last week. Caught the latest version of the flu (throat and sinus, not stomach) and its been beating me down since last Monday.
I've struggled through a few new projects, and hope to reveal them this week.

63 is still warmer than its been here. Persisting winds off the 40 degree big lake have kept it in the low 50's.

This paddle is just insane. You're like some kind of a machine. The dedication to repeating detail is amazing.

Its going to be one hell of a piece when its finished, that is for sure.

Beautiful work Andy.

my god.....just amazing.....

(packs up carving tools, tossing them in the trash)

T

WOW, it is so cool.
Amazing work!!!.

DUDE, you must be using a microscope to carve that paddle. Incredible patience you have.

S

Dam, let me pick up my jaw from the floor!

Unbelievable work, Beautiful stuff.

N

I would let ya hit me in the face with that thing !!!
Then get someone to tattoo my face
in with temporary ink!!!! Now that would be cool!!
Great job again my brah...

B

Andy,you are the carving equivalent of a rubber stamp. Holy crap, that's some consistant work!

that is wow keep up the awesome work

C

Oh wow! Your work keeps getting better and better, great great piece!

Surfintiki, Don't worry unless a flood hits my house water won't come near it.
Kahaka, Thanks.
Notch, Thanks.
Lake, Thanks. Warming up out there yet? 93 today.
Clysdalle, Thanks.
Tahitiki, Thank You.
Jungle, Thanks. This one is teaching me Patience for sure. I'm so far into it, if i slip now.... :(
Seeksurf, Thank You.
Bowana, Thanks. Missed ya yesterday at Bill's.
Marcus, Thanks.
Clarita, Thank You!

Thanks again everyone! Been a busy week for me so I did not get to carve that much on it.

Someone asked me about the old pics on this thread. I loaded up my myspace page with what i could find so far. So click the (homepg) button and it should take you there.

Just noticed my Born on Date.....4 years today & a whopping 247 posts. I really need to stop being such a chatter box around here :)

B

Yeah, you need to tone it Down a bit I think. :lol:

B

On 2008-04-27 13:01, tikimecula wrote:
Just noticed my Born on Date.....4 years today & a whopping 247 posts. I really need to stop being such a chatter box around here :)

Quality over quantity, my friend!

I missed hanging out with you guys too. Hopefully I'll see ya at the next Chop.

Bowana

R
Robin posted on Mon, Apr 28, 2008 8:14 AM

Speechless.....

Thanks, Robin.

Getting closer to finishing this one. Only have the top of the handle left to carve.

WOOT!

Holy Crapolla!

:o

Speechless...

Insane!

Dude, this is one folks will be talking about for quite a long time, nothing simple about it, just simply f*cking amazing work! Out of curiousity, where will this one end up?

Aloha Tikimecula!!!

WOW!!! What an aweasome piece of art you are creating my hat of hats is off to you!but could you help me pickup my jaw as it has hit the floor in awe! Excellent carving and Mahalo for sharing, Aloha Mooney

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 696 replies