Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Tikimeculas Stuff

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 696 replies

Patience of a saint, Andy.

Beautiful work.

Hey, I have some pages that good 'ol Octane sent me years ago regarding Dragon
toothing and some other Maori carving techniques.

I'll make some copies and bring them out with me.

See ya Sunday!

what are you smoking to give you that focus and patience? damn that's some mighty fine carving. jealous i can't carve like that.

bd

L

Precise carve! congrat and thank's for sharing your handcraft and your art. Your work demonstrated the patience of a monk doing work ant, like the illuminator of the 15th century.

J

Perfection, you must get into some zone to carve like that.

S

Supremo! you dizzy yet.

Thanks Guy's!

Here is todays update

B
Bowana posted on Fri, May 1, 2009 8:44 PM

Really cool, Andy!
Only 3,427,800 more cuts until you're done.
:)

Bo

On 2009-05-01 20:44, Bowana wrote:
Really cool, Andy!

Bo

Oh come on Bowana, We both know there will be 3,427,803 more cuts to finish this guy up.

Little more progress....

stunning work andy!

Great seeing you on Sunday,Mecula!
Your work is too amazing
to even call amazing!
Have to invent another word....
Admire your FOCUS
that's what art's all about
gettin in the zone..
unplug the phone
put on some tuneage
and BLISS OUT!

Rock on!

see you at Oasis!

It was a pleasure to see this and all your other work in person on Sunday, Andy.

And great having you as vending neighbor!

Amazing detail and dedication to your work.

Here's a couple shots of those great clubs you did for Trader Vic's LA...

See you in August!

Freakin Radical Man!! It was nice to finally meet you the other day at Bamboo Ben's shindig!! Your work is intense....I am digging it!! Congrats on the door handles for Trader Vic's too!!

Very nice use of the clubs! Great work as always.

I knew you were a cool guy and did finite work, but pictures do not do your carvings justice. the attention to detail is INSANE and when seen in person, is quite mindboggling.
Good seeing ya at Bens! That maori piece looks just as crazy as the rest of your stuff!!!! You have da FOCUS!

Tikimecula- are they your clubs being used as door handles
at trader vics.Watango

K

I completely hate that piece with all my heart.

Happy Opposite Day.

Woody

Kingstiedye, Thanks. Can't wait to see your lounge when it's done.

LLT, Thanks. Sunday was a lot of fun. Great to see everyone.

Lake, What can I say Always a good time hangin out with ya. Thanks for the pics.

Spermy, Thanks. It was cool to finally meet you.

Lizzard, Thanks.

Polynesiac, Thanks. Good seeing you again.

Watango, Yep those are the clubs i did for that purpose. There should be 2 more on the inside of the doors also. Not sure if they are up yet?

Kahaka, Thanks. The Maori piece will be for sale when it's done.

Thanks again everyone.

Aloha Tikimecula!!!! WOW Double WOW!!!! You R a Truley Talented and Amazing Artist!!!!!!!! You make it look so easy and flow so beautifly in your carvings, Mahalo for sharing , Aloha, Mooney

P
Paipo posted on Thu, May 7, 2009 2:50 PM

Just amazing. Having finally dipped my toe into this pool I now realise how hard this type of work is to achieve. Congrats on having a couple of your superb clubs immortalised on the front doors of TV's LA too! I'm stoked they utilised the talents of local artists instead of kitting the whole place out with "Polyasian" junk!

Mooney, Thanks.

Paipo, Thanks. Glad your picking up the chisels, You will get hooked. Just don't make the rest of us look bad with all the carving your gonna be doing soon.

Update...

Wow!...That deserves a "wow".

Deeaamn, I have to second Surfin's post..... Amazing stuff, Andy.

B

T-Mec, I don't think You need to worry about Anyone making YOU look bad with the way this guy is turning out and turning heads!

B

Hey Andy,

DANG, just over the top outstanding Sir!

Somebody needs to give you a well deserved grant so you can do this full time. Your like a California State Treasure!

BD

oh my! i think i will walk over to my work station (dining room table), put my chisels and wood away, use the table for it's intended purpose and give up carving after seeing this. damnation that is fine.

bd

I bought this little Pineapple bowl and some other bowls a while back, they are all made in Hawaii from Monkey pod. I was looking at this one the other day and decided it looked kinda plain?

So I took it out to the carving hut and it came back looking like this..

It turned out kinda neat so I might have to do up the others I got also.

Not sure what I'm gonna do with them after I fix them up? Maybe a home Tiki bar could use them?

Oh well something different i guess.

Nice trim, now put some macadamia nuts in there.

You got the fever bad. :wink:

Stay away from the furniture in the house.

Nice carves, Andy!

I've got something for ya... check your PM's.

Okay, I haven't been on here in a long time. Tikimecula, you rule! Great stuff as always.
When it comes to meticulous detail I think you are way ahead of the curve. Amazing.

Seeks Thanks.

Lake, Furniture is safe. Mrs. T-mec makes sure of that.

Matt, Thanks.

Here is a Maori Spiral practice board I've been chippin on. mostly just for fun but it's turning out kinda cool. Might have to stain it up after it's done.

It started out as a warm up for me before I started in on that panel again, now it has my attention and the pannel is waiting? It's just a 3/4" x 6" piece of poplar I had left over from a shelving thing i did.

Anyway, I have these spirals drawn up in the puter and thought maybe if some of you might want to try one....

Grab it and go for it.

L

Is that what you want to hypnotize us with your crazy carving? :roll:

ANDY! Very nice work, brother. Quality all the way.

B

On 2009-05-05 19:45, tikimecula wrote:

On 2009-05-01 20:44, Bowana wrote:
Really cool, Andy!

Bo

Oh come on Bowana, We both know there will be 3,427,803 more cuts to finish this guy up.

Yay! Only 3,399,401 to go! You've got time for side projects!

Bowie

J

Wow, a several million cut practice board, that shows dedication. Yes, that should be stained and displayed when you are done.

JP

B

Yeah, what they all said and Then some. Excellent way to practice, though you should add another side and practice Mirror image spirals so they will be correct on other panels.
Doesn't this stuff drive you Crazy?

G
GMAN posted on Wed, May 20, 2009 7:29 PM

Agreed. The mirror image is always difficult to get right on the opposite side of the body. Very fancy spirals you have made there.

Laojia, That's what keeps my sanity in check.

BK, Where you been??? Hows the thumb doing? Keep in touch.

Bowana, Side projects?? I keep 4 carvings going at once. I'm worse than Buzzy. OK mabye not as bad as Buzzy but almost.

JohnnyP, Thanks.

Benz, Thanks for letting everyone know I didn't mirror the knees and shoulders...... Truth be told I was half way through the second knee before I realized what I did. :( I knew it was not correct but I kept pressing on anyway. Now that everyone knows I'll guess I'll have to start all over :) What should I do with that messed up panel?

Gman, Thanks. Mirroring images isn't really all that hard. There are a few tricks I have picked up along the way in doing it, Though the ancients would probably say I'm cheating.

Mirrored Spiral Boards for Ben. :)

Screwed-up Non Mirrored panel. :)

G
GMAN posted on Fri, May 22, 2009 4:50 AM

Screwed up my arse. I saw it in the drawing early on, but still think it is killer. Let me know if you want to sell it - at scratch and dent-type pricing :wink:

Beautiful job.

T

I think I would go insane even attempting something like this! Killer stuff, man! My hat's off to you. :)

practice board, my butt. Great job on some highly detailed paneling!

Mirrored or not, that piece is amazing. Even though you notice it, 99.9999% of the people who see it won't. They'll see ridiculous detail and an awesome carve.

Really nice job!!!

What can ya say that hasn't been said...

Insane detail, insane dedication, insanely good work.

Top cuts there, Andy.

That's one hell of a carving.

S

Love It! you make it look like butter.

Wonderful wonderful. I think just watching you carve would be a real
treat. Maybe you could post a few hundred hour video on You Tube :)

B

Well, the ppanel will Actually be worth MORE $ than a perfect one, The carve is Excellent and the Spirals mirror or not don't make that big a difference. It's like when a coin gets stamped wrong instead of it being worth face value, it becomes a collectors item worth hundreds more than face value. :o Don't let the sharks get it cheep for scratch-n-dent (SorryGMAN) :D :P :o :lol:

TMec, No one carves this stuff any better than you so you know we Gotta Catch you now and then?

Holy Smokes! The detail is incredible! I was told you could go blind doing that... or was it something else???

Great work. That takes some patience

Gman, Thanks. Most of the drawing in the earlier pics were from 2 years ago, Some I chose not to use and try something else.

Big T, Believe it or not it helps keep your sanity in check, just takes alot of concentration.

Polynesiac, Thanks. I know most people won't notice that's why I kept on truckin.

Lake, Thanks. Wait till you see the finish I have planned :)

Seeks, Thanks. Poplar cuts nice, and finishes nice also.

Conga, Thanks. A video huh...... Hmmmmmmm.....

Benz, I was just giving ya a hard time. Like i said, I knew before ya posted but kept on going. It's gonna go up for sale soon so well see what happens?

Grand Poobah, Thanks.

Well, I put the DONE stamp on this one tonight. Finish goes on tomorrow.

[ Edited by: tikimecula 2009-05-23 20:29 ]

Looks great! Definitely a test of patience. I'm chock full of the stuff, but can't even imagine attempting something like this. Inset eyes?

G
GMAN posted on Sun, May 24, 2009 4:13 AM

Very, very, very, very, very, nice! Actually, that is F@&$ing awesome. Do you have any paua for his eyes? I'm sure we could find some if you need it. You wanna fly to Florida and do "that" on my Bow Rider?

Give us an idea of the size of this panel. Small, Medium, Grande?

It is my new computer desktop. :)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 696 replies